Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Read 11660 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)
      Reply #23: May 12, 2009 08:14:58 pm
      Won't like to see him at Liverpool, for England has being poor, watched him against Chelsea and Utd this season and he was awful, his only good game against a top four side was us because Skertel was being played out of position according to Ballague Silva is going to sign for us or Juventus forget about this lad let him off to Spurs they seem to buy all the overrated sh~te.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #24: May 12, 2009 08:29:52 pm
      Reira is a better player and after this season I think he will get even better where as Downing is getting worse every year and will not improve the team. In my opinion.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #25: May 12, 2009 09:46:00 pm
      To be honest I dont rate him but somehow still gets in the England team.... He must do something that we cant really see.... Average premiership player.... I hope we dont dish more than 7m for him if we are to sign him.... Prefer Riera on the left....
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26: May 12, 2009 09:49:23 pm
      To be honest I dont rate him but somehow still gets in the England team.... He must do something that we cant really see.... Average premiership player.... I hope we dont dish more than 7m for him if we are to sign him.... Prefer Riera on the left....

No mystery. Hes English and can kick with his left foot he's a rarity in England
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #27: May 12, 2009 09:54:15 pm
      No mystery. Hes English and can kick with his left foot he's a rarity in England

Yeah your right there mate but the value which the media are stating is too much.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,113 posts | 3368 
      Reply #28: May 12, 2009 11:24:34 pm
      Downing is another overrated, overhyped and overpriced player.

Is he, however, an improvement on Riera? Quite possibly. But he is nowhere near as good as Liverpool need.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #29: May 13, 2009 12:11:47 am
      WTF.

Save the £12m, get the funds together from players leaving I.E Dossena, Lucas.  And go for David Silva!  FFS.   :f_steam:
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #30: May 13, 2009 12:11:33 pm
      If it was up to me I'd be doing excatly that^. Spend the whole budget on a player who will actually improve the team, and improve significantly I believe.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #31: May 13, 2009 12:15:14 pm
      If it was up to me I'd be doing excatly that^. Spend the whole budget on a player who will actually improve the team, and improve significantly I believe.

totally agree with you mate ... he's beings depth to the squad and he can help us challenge for title and unlock tight defensesunlike downing who is an average player he wont bring anything to quality liverpool !
      MsGerrard
      Reply #32: May 13, 2009 04:16:07 pm
      We don't want bit part players, we want the real McCoy.

Do alright for the ressies though  :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #33: May 13, 2009 04:17:28 pm
      sh*te, sh*te and sh*te.

In my honest opinion, he makes Albert look like John Barnes! Watched him last night too lightweight, knocked off the ball too easily. You'd never have thought he was the captain of his hometown team that are battling against relegation. Completely anonymous!

The new Stuart Ripley.

Used to think he was quite good.  Don't anymore.   Like someone said the question is 'Is he better than Riera?'  The fact that I doubt it means he isn't a good buy - especially at twice the price of Albert.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #34: May 13, 2009 04:20:39 pm
      he is good in a poor team, he's like david bentley, he's their best player so he is very expensive, but at a club like ours, he would be so poor in comparison to the likes of reira, babel, hammill etc
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #35: May 13, 2009 04:27:58 pm
      He's good for the average teams in PL the such of Wigan or Blackburn but not the top clubs material.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #36: May 14, 2009 03:05:56 pm
      Is he a decent player in a poor team?. I'm not sure but he does get mentioned a bit by people but personally I'd rather we keep Riera.
      mulki
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | -2 
      • You"ll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: May 14, 2009 03:13:25 pm
      no need to this player......
      buy silva
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: May 14, 2009 04:33:04 pm
      What a waste of money, not a bad player but just wont make a difference in our squad, not needed.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #39: May 14, 2009 04:36:55 pm
      No thanks, not a bad player but at the same time not Liverpool standard.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #40: May 16, 2009 12:38:04 am
      Whether we get him or not, I think people on here will be proven very wrong about him. I think he's a quality player. Very very quick (surprisingly so, but watch him) and a very good left foot. Why on earth wouldn't we want him?
      I'd much rather see Rafa buy Downing than Barry. And at a third of the price of Silva, represents much better value for a left winger.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #41: May 16, 2009 03:13:11 am
      Think he is quality but don't want value for money....want the right player regardless of price. Silva for 20 is a better signing than a relegated boro price of 12 for downing. If we do get him though I won't be disappointed but prefer others.
      On a side note I think being captain of a struggling team is a good thing for his development...good character development
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #42: May 16, 2009 04:37:41 am
      One problem i see is that everyone thinks 12 million is the price we'll get him for. Financially they are struggling and are getting relegated. If they want over an 8 figure sum for him then they are deluded. I think if we get him it'll probably be closer to 7-8 million. In saying that, i think he'd improve our squad over Riera and Babel but not enough if he's our priority left wing target.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #43: May 17, 2009 11:30:28 pm
      Might wait to see how long he is out first with that injury he picked up on saturday.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2009 10:32:49 am
      I'm of similar veiws to alot of Downing's doubters, I'd say the best team he could play in would be Spurs/West Ham, he's by no means top four standard.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: May 19, 2009 11:39:41 am
      This rumour just won't go away, lot of talk again about this today, one source says the injury he picked up might stop his 10 million move to Liverpool, I'd be gutted if we sign this lad he simply is not good enough for Liverpool.

Quick Reply