Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Story from a cabbie!

Read 1632 times
      northennutta
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 87 posts | -2 
      Story from a cabbie!
      May 12, 2009 07:59:34 pm
      Was out in Edinburgh last night and was in the back of a black cab. Got talking to the driver told him i was from liverpool and he began to tell me a story.

He said back in the early 70's or late 60's he was down in liverpool to watch a match between everton and Heart of midlothian fc. him and his mate got there early, so decided to go look round anfield. They rocked up and went in to have a look round. they went down to the pitch and there was a man doing laps of the field. he came over to say hello and it turned out to be none other than Bill Shankly. He shook there hands and asked them why they where round the area. They explained what they where up to just come down to watch the game at goodison and Shankly offered to show them round the inner workings of anfield. Obviously they accepted greatfully and a guided tour was had with Shankly as the tour guide. lucky lucky bas**rds if you ask me :D

Just thought i would share this story as in my eyes it shows that Shankly really was a top bloke but also the respect that was shared between Everton and Liverpool fans back in the day where any football fan can appreciate another stadium.
      arkles lad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,986 posts |
      Re: Story from a cabbie!
      Reply #1: May 12, 2009 08:01:49 pm
      Lucky f**ker,If only?
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: May 12, 2009 08:18:23 pm
      Wow. That's quite astonishing.

I'm well jealous.
      McEvoy_LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #3: May 12, 2009 08:22:42 pm
      I doubt that actually happened... haha Taxi Drivers.

Well I went to the shop to buy the paper and Benitez was in the que... he said to me "fancy coming to melwood for a cuppa?" I said "yes"
      northennutta
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 87 posts | -2 
      Reply #4: May 12, 2009 08:26:24 pm
      rekon rafa could afford to get his papers delivered. besdies would be more of a sports drink nd a run at melwood.

and yea it might not have happened thats true but you can choose to believe or not believe any story you get told. spose could check if everton did play heart of midlothian at tht point, doubt its a common fixture.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,672 posts | 6966 
      Reply #5: May 12, 2009 09:22:59 pm
      I can believe it.  Shanks was a top bloke.  Although why he would show some Hearts beauts around is beyond me.  Anyway...
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #6: May 12, 2009 09:30:43 pm
      Amazing, lucky guys!
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #7: May 12, 2009 09:35:07 pm
      Well things like that do happen.When i was about 15 was on a school trip from Lisburn N.Ireland to liverpool.School had some connection with billy hamilton,former everton player so we were taken out to Bellfield for a bit of a tour.Were taken into the physio room,and i sh*te you not,but who was on the treatment table.The great Bill Shankly.As a mad Liverpool fan and so young and with his Legendary status i was in awe struck.That was about 1975/76 just after his retirement.Apparently Bellfields facilities were better than Liverpools at that time.Will remember that all my life.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #8: May 12, 2009 09:41:26 pm
      Lucky fellas if its true :)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #9: May 12, 2009 10:44:52 pm
      I was in Wade Smith back in the day trying shoes on and David James sat down next to me to try shoes on. Then, while I was still being a chuffed teenager, Dominic Matteo and Robbie Fowler walked in together. Needless to say my jaw dropped...and that definitely is true!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: May 12, 2009 11:15:53 pm
      I believe your story as it has the ring of truth to it.....

Just a thought when you said fans back then could appreciate another's stadium, I remember those days and fans would sooner take the stadium apart than appreciate the surrounding. P.S. it was the time of the mob culture (The small majority).......

Quick Reply