Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

West Brom v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread

Read 9398 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      West Brom v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread
      May 13, 2009 12:58:34 pm
      Sunday 17th May 2009 @ 1.30pm
      The Hawthorns
      FA Premier League

West Brom v Liverpool

The Baggies won't have been relegated by the time we play them, at least not mathematically.  So expect them to want to go out fighting rather than a whimper.  I hate these end of season dog-fight games but hopefully the reds can put in another fantastic performance.

If (and I do mean if) United have already won the title by the time we kick off then I can imagine the reds would be pretty dispirited ahead of this game.

Anyway, I'll stay positive.  Hope to see Alonso back, and hope to see Gerrard bang a goal in and break his own Liverpool goalscoring record.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: West Brom v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #1: May 13, 2009 01:17:07 pm
      First off, for the sake of our players efforts over the last few weeks, lets hope this fixture is still important in the title race

West Brom will be going for it which should allow us pick them off. Xabi if fit back for Lucas would be my only change from the West Ham game. However if the title is gone by then Id love to see Rafa hand out a few starts for the likes of Spearing and Nemeth
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: May 13, 2009 01:23:44 pm
      First off, for the sake of our players efforts over the last few weeks, lets hope this fixture is still important in the title race

West Brom will be going for it which should allow us pick them off. Xabi if fit back for Lucas would be my only change from the West Ham game. However if the title is gone by then Id love to see Rafa hand out a few starts for the likes of Spearing and Nemeth

Great post Brian, you've summed up all the important points in just a couple of lines.

The players do indeed merit to have something to fight for in this game. The efforts they've put in to keep the title race alive over the last few weeks have been fantastic. They've kept us hoping and dreaming, they've given their all, I just want that feeling to continue as long as possible.

Good shout.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #3: May 13, 2009 01:28:44 pm
      If we are still in the title race:

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard, Benayoun, Torres.

Prediction: 0-3

If we aren't in the title race:

Reina, Darby, Hyypia, Skrtel, Dossena, Lucas, Plessis, Nemeth, Spearing, Babel, N'gog. 

Prediction: 0-1
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4: May 13, 2009 01:36:28 pm
      I think regardless of the outcome of United's game V Arsenal I would like to see us go full throttle and collect as many points as possible. For us to finish with 86 points would be a fantastic achievement and will give numeric evidence of the teams and Rafa's constant improvement. Not to mention that Chelsea can still catch us for the second place. The only change I would like to see from the Hammers game is Xabi in for Lucas and Insua from the start.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: May 13, 2009 01:40:43 pm
      My sentiments have been stated above. I pray the Scum falter but if not, so much pride. Would love to see some youngsters like Spearing and Darby given a go should it be a match where nothing is riding on it in terms of the title.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: May 13, 2009 01:41:06 pm
      Yes, I would go with a full strength team regardless whether we are still able to win the league or not. Then maybe past the hour mark, Rafa can bring some younger players in like Nemeth, Darby and Spearing to have a go.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #7: May 13, 2009 01:58:06 pm
      Yes, I would go with a full strength team regardless whether we are still able to win the league or not. Then maybe past the hour mark, Rafa can bring some younger players in like Nemeth, Darby and Spearing to have a go.

Agreed.  It would be disappointing if we ended up finishing third.  Let's do the business and then maybe give some kids a chance in the first team.  Give them something to ponder over the summer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: May 13, 2009 02:11:17 pm
      Personally, i think with Darby and Spearing we'd still do 'em.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #9: May 13, 2009 02:35:33 pm
      Whatever the outcome is when the whistle goes at the start of this match, all i will see is 11 men on the field who have broke my expectations.

11 men, a bench and a manager that have given all this season.

I'll be in the pub singing whatever the outcome is
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #10: May 13, 2009 03:14:51 pm
                      Reina
      Arbeloa Carra Agger Aurelio
                     Alonso
      Kuyt Gerrard Benayoun Babel
                     Torres

This is a very attacking team, and I doubt Rafa will risk leaving a midfielder like Mascherano off, even if it is the bottom of the league team. However, this is what i would like to see. I'd like to see Babel get a start, as a LW, and playing very attacking, as almost second striker on the side, right behind Torres. Would good to see, considering his goal last week, and how bad Brom's defence are
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #11: May 13, 2009 04:35:38 pm
      ALONSO HANDS REDS FITNESS BOOST
      Paul Eaton 13 May 2009
          Rafael Benitez expects to be able to call on the services of Xabi Alonso for Liverpool's final away game of the season at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
      The Spanish midfielder missed out on the weekend victory at West Ham with an ankle injury sustained following a wild tackle by Joey Barton in the Reds' previous game with Newcastle..

But Alonso is now back in training and should be available for the clash at The Hawthorns.

Manager Rafael Benitez confirmed: "Xabi was jogging today so if he progresses normally for the rest of the week I think he will be available for the weekend.

"Xabi is a key player for us in the middle. It could have been a lot worse so I am really pleased to see him back after just one week."

Benitez also confirmed Fernando Torres will be fit to play despite being substituted at Upton Park on Saturday.

"He was a little bit tired having not trained too much with the squad," added the boss. "He is okay and won't have any problems for the weekend."

Liverpool's Premier League dreams could be over before the game at West Brom, depending on how Manchester United fare in their next two games - against Wigan tonight and Arsenal on Saturday.

"I'll watch the game tonight if I can," he added. "Fingers crossed and we will see what happens.

"We are in a very good position and want to finish the season as high as possible. The only way to have a chance of winning the title is to win our next two games."

Posted this in the Alonso thread as well but I thought it could go in here too. Good to hear we'll have a full strength squad at the weekend.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #12: May 13, 2009 05:01:14 pm
      A nice 4-0 for me as I see Liverpool will go crazy on West Brom.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: May 14, 2009 03:18:21 am
      Play the best team we can, something like

- - - - - - - - - - - Pepe - - - - - - - - - - -
      Arboloa - - - Carra - - - Agger - - - Aurelio
      - - - - - - - Alonso - - - - Javi - - - - - - - - -
      Kuyt - - - - - - Gerrard - - - - - - - Yossi
      - - - - - - - - - - Torres - - - - - - - - - - -
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #14: May 14, 2009 04:30:19 am
      Well, hopefully we can create alot of chances as it will be an open game as both teams are going to try to score goals.

I predicted West Brom 0-4 Liverpool. Come on Reds, give me a 2nd correct prediction!
      wy-red
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #15: May 14, 2009 06:29:47 am
      i'm going for a more conservative 1-3 to us as i think west brom will give us a bit of a scrap for the first 30 minutes or so before our class takes over
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #16: May 14, 2009 07:52:11 am
      If were still in it then same as last week bu with Xabi in place of Lucas

If not i'd like to see N'Gog on for Torres Dossena on for Riera or Aurelio (depending on rafas mood  :) ) and if he isnt injured Degen at right back

Oh Yeah and Sami on with Carra regardless of title race
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #17: May 14, 2009 10:35:11 am
      Starting to look this is going to be a big anti-climax this game.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #18: May 14, 2009 10:55:14 am
      I still want to see our full stength team fielded, we need to secure second place if not first and we don't want to give of the image of being defeated.

Hopefully the players will go to town on West Brom. Although they haven't been doing so bad lately and will be scrapping we are several classes above them and this should show through the match.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #19: May 14, 2009 11:32:56 am
      Regardless of whether or not this match has an importance in the title race, I want the team to finish the season strongly and gain the maximum points from the games left.

86 points this year please!
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #20: May 14, 2009 11:40:11 am
      Regardless of whether or not this match has an importance in the title race, I want the team to finish the season strongly and gain the maximum points from the games left.

86 points this year please!

Seconded, even if the title has gone by then there's no harm in going full throttle right over the finish line since Chelski are only 3pts behind and consequently finishing 3rd would be disappointing as hell.

If Xabi isn't fit I'd quite like to see Spearing alongside Masch in the midfield for this run out.

Reina
         Arby     Carra       Agger      Aurelio

Masch      Spearing

Kuyt                              Babel
                           Gerrard

Torres
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #21: May 14, 2009 11:41:06 am
      I would quite like to see Babel start in this game actually if the title is over.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #22: May 15, 2009 01:07:42 am
      If we are out of the title race we still want to seal that 2nd spot..... no 2nd string side.... we want 86 points and goals...

Quick Reply