Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

West Brom 0-2 Liverpool - Post Match Celebrating

Read 14398 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: West Brom 0-2 Liverpool - Post Match Celebrating
      Reply #23: May 17, 2009 03:52:18 pm
      Rafa:

"They show character"

He's not bothered about the squabble, they are just busting a gut to get Pepe a 4th Golden Glove :D
      McEvoy_LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Re: POST MATCH CELEBRATION: West Brom vs Liverpool
      Reply #24: May 17, 2009 03:52:32 pm
      yeah its a mad one this game... but you gotta give west brom credit, its a shame to see them go down.

Carra and Arbeloa, its just like any situation in a work enviroment ... sometimes you have a kick off in work and hate eeach other for about 10 minutes, then sort it out and be mates again. Carra was just pissed off thats all and took it out on Arbeloa... Alonso jumped in and stopped it nothing more. HAHA I bet Gerrard said to Carra "Its us English against the Spanish here Carra, so shut the F**k up" haha...

But on a serious note, 2 - 0 is good for a team fighting for their lives really. Did the job didn't we so thats that.

Have to say though the Torres was poor, and has been off pace, and off the touch since coming back from his injury. Its worrying but I'm sure he'll be back to normal next season. Never seen him play so bad to be honest today.

Man of the Match had to be ... LUCAS, thought he had a great game
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #25: May 17, 2009 03:54:44 pm
      I dont find anything wrong with what Carra did tbh. He was just telling him to do his job better as he was being awful. What leaders do. Arbeloa was the one that stood up and pushed Carragher and he only reacted. if anything, Arbeloa's fault for reacting over something like that.

Anyways, good win, it was tough, but what could you expect when their fighting to stay up?

Lucas was motm for me. Fantastic! :D

Babel, where do i start?  ::)
      MsGerrard
      Re: POST MATCH CELEBRATION: West Brom vs Liverpool
      Reply #26: May 17, 2009 03:55:12 pm
      A win is a win, and three points in the bag.

Although I was disappointed with the way Carra/Arby carried on, it does show passion in the team, which we all want to see, I had noticed though in the game that Carra seemed to be covering for Arby at times so maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back and Carra just snapped, don't like to see that though, I expect Rafa to have words.

Shame Torres is still one short of his 50th goal, I must admit he looked sluggish today, I suspect he's ready for a holiday. Likewise Lucas was boss today, and has really come into his own in the last few months.

Gerrard was involved in everything today and was unlucky not to get a penalty at the end of the first half, when he was blatantly shoved off the ball  ::)

Feel a bit sorry for the WBA fans, they deserve better,  and all credit to their fans for staying right to the end, your a credit to your club, had that of been manure they would have left 10 mins before the end.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: May 17, 2009 03:57:07 pm
      Without doubt we have made significant progress and it has been a cracking season but i'm just thinking that people will remember that because it never happens between our players. Am i right in saying the last on pitch squabble was Macca and Grobelaar?

That's exactly my view there mate. It never happens. If it was a vague regular occurrence then a lot of criticism would be justified for it in my opinion. But it's obviously not a problem. Sure it will be laughed by them, sooner or later for both players over reacting.

jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #28: May 17, 2009 04:04:16 pm
      good win. plus gerrard scored again. that makes it even better.
      as for the carra-arby thing, no comments. it only showed carra's passion. he doesn't want the manure 'keeper winning the golden glove, does he?
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #29: May 17, 2009 04:04:43 pm
      Good to see West Brom putting up the fight, but unfortunately feel sorry for them for their relegation. They have been good, Mowbray's a good manager if not for their dismal defending, that definitely needs some sorting out.

Other then that, we didn't have a good game, but still we won against the run of play, we showed character a day after the scum was crowned champions. We displayed a true spirit which will be very important next season.

Solid win.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #30: May 17, 2009 04:08:41 pm
      Happy with the result, 0-2 away against a team fighting for their Prem Lives, is not bad. Could have been so much more too.

Fair play to West Brom, they gave it a good go, and hopw they come back up next season.

Highest points in the EPL for us ever, and with any luck against the Spuds, a 2 goal win will give us a 50+ GD!

Little nervous at the back, but another clean sheet is a good result. Kuyts Goal was class too.

I point the finger of not wiinng the EPL at Mr Keanes door (and Parry's), too many F***ing draws at home when Torres was injured. Anyone got the stats of this or was it just my immagination.

Just need cover at the sharp end I feel.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #31: May 17, 2009 04:29:43 pm
      If I'm not mistaken, I think Stevie and John Arne had a short argument against Arsenal when we lost 3-0 in 2006/2007.

It just shows how much Carra wanted to keep a clean sheet, but I think he didn't have to push Arbeloa in the chest. Looked like 'Spanish vs English' when Xabi stepped in ;D. Ironically, an Englishman was helping a Spanish keep a clean sheet.

Still a good win. West Brom did gave me a scare at times but congratulations Liverpool. Highest point total in an EPL season. Stevie and Dirk breaking their own personal goal records.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #32: May 17, 2009 04:45:54 pm
      That Carra-Arby thing was nothing, would have been sorted straight after the match. Both players know that it was nothing and came out of a disagreement about their defending. They will both be glad to get the clean sheet though.

However, a good win today, hopefully we will beat Spurs too.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #33: May 17, 2009 05:15:13 pm
      Only 2 pages after another away win? Where is every one?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #34: May 17, 2009 05:18:45 pm
      Good win, and performance. Shame to see West Brom go down, but we can't be merciful at this stage.

Lucas MOTM for me, had a fantastic game.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: May 17, 2009 05:38:39 pm
      Here we go :)
      Jamie Carragher has insisted Pepe Reina's bid for this season's Golden Glove award was behind his on-field disagreement with Alvaro Arbeloa during Liverpool's 2-0 victory at West Brom.

"We can't win the league now but there are a number of targets we can aim for," said Carragher after the game. "We want to keep a clean sheet and we want Pepe to have a chance of the Golden Glove for the third season running. Pepe is one behind Van der Sar now and there's a chance Van der Sar won't play next week, so we wanted to make sure he got a clean sheet today.

I can understand that Carra wants to keep the clean sheet and Arby probably wasn't at his best at the back today. I just feel for Arby, ;D.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #36: May 17, 2009 05:52:45 pm
      Arbeloa made the block so I dont see what his point is. As a hole we looked tired and understandably so. Still good progress has been made and with only a few signings we should get close next year.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #37: May 17, 2009 06:12:26 pm
      Carra should have kept his spat for the dressing room, he was out of order to have a go at one guy on the field of play, when half the team were not up for the game, Carra should have known better being one of the leaders. (Did you see Carra's face, his eye's looked wild) I wonder what he would do if a player lazily strolled through two games on the trot. God help him..

As for the game, it was over as a contest after we got the first goal, they tried hard and but for Pepe they nearly scored first but his double save was really well done. I wonder what would have happened if they had scored, most of our players were already on their hols...

The ref today was nothing more than useless, I wondered at times if he were needed, we should have had two blatant pens and some of the tackles or arm pulling that he let go was scandalous and he is one ref I hope to never see again, Bloody Martin Atkinson....
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #38: May 17, 2009 06:21:31 pm
      Carra is the defence general in our team and although him and Arbeloa had a spat i think it shows how much Carra puts into this club and he takes each game personally ,probably a bit of frustration ( as someone has already said ) at coming so close to the title ...not a bad attitude to the game if you want to win titles though
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #39: May 17, 2009 06:26:29 pm
      In a match 1 day after you've just lost out on the title, emotions are running high, it happens. Carra and Arby will laugh it off later on.

Just shows the determination of the players.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40: May 17, 2009 07:08:58 pm
      Can't disagree more with people defending Carra. He was out of order, if it was the other way around people would say Arbeloa was in the wrong (people are still saying that anyway...) the fact of the matter is that it showed our defense was not as one, after he did it, West Brom were by far the better team and unlucky not to have pulled at least one back.

Just because hes scouse doesn't give him the right to fight with the foreigners, and that is why Xabi went over to yes break them up, but also at FT had words with Carra. Put it this way, I expect it would have been Carra - not Arbi in the doghouse in Rafas office after the final whistle. Carra was merely frustrated at another year without a title IMO.

Having said that, my MOTM would have been Carra, he was by far the most concentrated out there before his outburst. Was a pretty poor performace though overall, but 2nd spot seems assured, but I fear that a home defeat is on the cards against Spurs next week. We certainly must play better, and be more of a unit than we were today.

Finally credit to West Broms fans, showed our usual home support up well and truly!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #41: May 17, 2009 07:15:41 pm
      Anybody who thinks Carra was wrong today are the wrong ones. If we could still win the title then people would be on saying he was spot on and what passion etc. He shows the required passion every game why should he drop his standards? Arbe was caught napping and rightly got bollocked by Carra. It was Arbe who shoved Carra. In my opinion hes lucky Carra didn't chin him.

Cracking finish by Johan Kuyt  ;). Another 3 points another clean sheet for Pepe. Lucas was good again. Onwards and upwards   
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #42: May 17, 2009 07:46:51 pm
      Just because hes scouse doesn't give him the right to fight with the foreigners

What's that got to do with anything though?

Personally, long before the incident happened I was getting concerned at Arbeloa's casual approach to the game. And on more than one occasion I seen Carra waving his arms in the direction of Arbeloa, before they ended up shoving each other.

It's already been said by the player and the manager that it was down to us wanting to keep a clean sheet, so that's were the frustration obviously came from. It was nothing but handbags at worst.

And if it was the other way around, I'd be saying the exact same thing.

I don't see why you're indicating people are defending him because he is scouse. That's got absolutely nothing to do with it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: May 17, 2009 07:54:22 pm
      It sickens me that people are having a go at Carra for simply doing what he does every game. Whether he's scouse cockney or Chinese has f**k all to do with the fact that his attitude was the same as always and he had a go at someone who defended like he would rather be in his local getting hammered
      IwanttobeJohnBarnes
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #44: May 17, 2009 08:06:16 pm
      All this bullshit about Carra and Arbeloa
      So What! 

All it says to me is they are 100% committed to our cause, even when we can't win the league.
      Passion Hunger Desire
      Go on Jamie Lad.  ;D
      karljd
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #45: May 17, 2009 08:51:08 pm
      What's that got to do with anything though?

Personally, long before the incident happened I was getting concerned at Arbeloa's casual approach to the game. And on more than one occasion I seen Carra waving his arms in the direction of Arbeloa, before they ended up shoving each other.

It's already been said by the player and the manager that it was down to us wanting to keep a clean sheet, so that's were the frustration obviously came from. It was nothing but handbags at worst.

And if it was the other way around, I'd be saying the exact same thing.

I don't see why you're indicating people are defending him because he is scouse. That's got absolutely nothing to do with it.
      spot on mate that's been coming for arebeloa befrore carra had a go at him he was anonymous just like he's been for a lot of games this season.

Quick Reply