Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Were we like the Mancs when we were ruling??

Read 12017 times
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Re: Were we like the Mancs when we were ruling??
      Reply #23: May 19, 2009 03:46:36 pm

Through the 70s-80s I queued to get into Anfield, paid my money and took up my place on the Kop, fast forward to now in an age where you wait on a phone ticket line give them your credit card number and your in. The point I’m making is the lazy reds fan the fan who isn’t that bothered whether he gets in or not is in a lottery with fans who would bleed to get into Anfield and usually the wrong fan seems to win that lottery and that can only be detrimental to our support.

Darn!! I still thought that one day I would be able to go to Anfield  get the tickets from the counter!!How wrong was I??I hear people laughing already :sigh:
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #24: May 22, 2009 11:39:04 am
      Firstly you cant compare eras from the 70s and 80s to now coz the game is totally anonymous to what it was then, and yes including the fans. The way i remember it was that the football was hard and fair and ultra competitive even then. And that transmitted itself to the fans. Sonme tolerated each other , some despised each other. Yes, there was things that werent right that were sang all over the country, thats just how it was. But i like to think that because of well known events that football sorted itself out and has turned into the best league in the world, dont get me wrong i wish some things would never have changed like daft rules of the game. But one thing i know for a FACT is that when we ruled the roost e were normal football supporters who went to the game and sung our hearts out but we were never big headed or disrespectful as United are. We were the best but we didnt rub peoples noses in it. And oh Mr Cantona check out your glorious fans waiting for us after the 4--1 on youtube to listen to how theyve progressed. Disgusting.
      King Cantona
      • Likes to finish every post with multiple full stops.
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #25: May 22, 2009 12:33:44 pm
      Firstly you cant compare eras from the 70s and 80s to now coz the game is totally anonymous to what it was then, and yes including the fans. The way I remember it was that the football was hard and fair and ultra competitive even then. And that transmitted itself to the fans. Sonme tolerated each other , some despised each other. Yes, there was things that werent right that were sang all over the country, thats just how it was. But I like to think that because of well known events that football sorted itself out and has turned into the best league in the world, dont get me wrong I wish some things would never have changed like daft rules of the game. But one thing I know for a FACT is that when we ruled the roost e were normal football supporters who went to the game and sung our hearts out but we were never big headed or disrespectful as United are. We were the best but we didnt rub peoples noses in it. And oh Mr Cantona check out your glorious fans waiting for us after the 4--1 on youtube to listen to how theyve progressed. Disgusting.

I think it's quite amazing how biased you are, you've only got to read the posts on here to see how little you've progressed, I've seen United fans pulled off buses on Merseyside by Liverpool 'fans' and beaten to a pulp...

Anyone who points to a YouTube video as an accurate representation of ANY fans is an idiot..... 8)......
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #26: May 22, 2009 12:39:57 pm
      Firstly you cant compare eras from the 70s and 80s to now coz the game is totally anonymous to what it was then, and yes including the fans. The way I remember it was that the football was hard and fair and ultra competitive even then. And that transmitted itself to the fans. Sonme tolerated each other , some despised each other. Yes, there was things that werent right that were sang all over the country, thats just how it was. But I like to think that because of well known events that football sorted itself out and has turned into the best league in the world, dont get me wrong I wish some things would never have changed like daft rules of the game. But one thing I know for a FACT is that when we ruled the roost e were normal football supporters who went to the game and sung our hearts out but we were never big headed or disrespectful as United are. We were the best but we didnt rub peoples noses in it. And oh Mr Cantona check out your glorious fans waiting for us after the 4--1 on youtube to listen to how theyve progressed. Disgusting.

Oh..can you post me the link to that video? ;)
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #27: May 22, 2009 06:44:20 pm
      Why do we have to have moronic utd fans on here. UTd have ALWAYS been hated even when they were relegated they were hated because they are a hateful nasty club and Ferguson is the embodiment of UTD. Liverpool were not hated in the same way its right to boast of success but our Managers and players were humble. Ask the Arsenal fans who witnessed their league triumph over us at Anfield 20 years ago. Nobody left and we saluted Arsenal for being good Champions you would never get that at Old Trafford not now not ever.So I'll never take a lesson from any Utd fan and you and your team will go on being hated until your learn humility and dignity in victory and defeat.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #28: May 22, 2009 07:26:44 pm
      Why do we have to have moronic utd fans on here. UTd have ALWAYS been hated even when they were relegated they were hated because they are a hateful nasty club and Ferguson is the embodiment of UTD. Liverpool were not hated in the same way its right to boast of success but our Managers and players were humble. Ask the Arsenal fans who witnessed their league triumph over us at Anfield 20 years ago. Nobody left and we saluted Arsenal for being good Champions you would never get that at Old Trafford not now not ever.So I'll never take a lesson from any Utd fan and you and your team will go on being hated until your learn humility and dignity in victory and defeat.

I tell you what mate i think we are more hated now than we ever where in the 70s and 80s, our blue brothers for instance now have a hardcore of fans who actually sing songs that i for one never thought i would hear after the closeness they showed to us during our dark times, you may say its only a few well go to Goodison on a match day and you will hear the ground united (their b team) as hate flows from the terraces.
      I was at Anfield for the night Arsenal pipped us to the league in 89 and as you rightly pointed out when they won the league nobody left and they where clapped by the ground as a whole, i can honestly say that as it was only weeks after Hillsborough i really couldn't have given a crap who won the league as football just wasn't that important anymore. I will say i still think we would have seen fans stay though and applaud the champions even if most of us where numb at the time but i doubt very much Arsenal would have got the same standing ovation if they repeated the feat today.

If we are such sporting fans why when the Mancs beat us in that crappy cup final that Cantona scored in did myself and thousands of other reds desert our end at the final whistle? Because we hate Man Utd you may say, but does that mean we can only be sporting if we like the team we are playing?

Not all Liverpool fans are holier than thou! we have knobheads as much as the Mancs and for that matter every team in the country, but i do like to think we do in general know our stuff and dont have to resort to insults and name calling, and from most of his posts King Cantona seems to anything but moronic.

On a day of football whether we play Man Utd or not i pray for them to lose, i cant stand them and the majority of their plastic Surrey dwelling knobhead fans BUT! they do have some good lads (honest) and i have had some cracking football chats with them over the years but sadly for one reason or another the days of the ordinary fan having a yap about their aspirations for their team seem to have gone out the window.

Oh and by the way lads whilst your mentioning Youtube as a means of seeing our lads getting a good hiding try looking for The battle of Everton valley (it might have been a blues game but our lads where there) and you will see its all swings and roundabouts in the who's smacking who stakes. ;)

No iam not a pro United Liverpool fan i am a red who thinks banter and a well put together argument is all that matters on a forum and i hope the Mods welcome all fans onto our site as long as they dont take the P**s!

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #29: May 22, 2009 07:44:37 pm
      I do not think the question "Were we like the Mancs when we were ruling??" can be full answered one way of the other. The Media is a totally different ball game now, Cable, Satellite, Live Games, Internet are all new, if they were available when we were winning the league, then may be we would have been obnoxious tw*ts, but we will never know. ::)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #30: May 22, 2009 09:22:17 pm
      I think RedPuppy Hits the nail on the head here its all down to the new age media Cable, Satellite, Internet. If as he says they'd been available when we we're winning the league would we have been as obnoxious as the mancs are ? NO ! not then, not now not ever !
      But we didn't have it the way United have it now, the money, the champions (!) league, everybody on there side, the advent of the Internet and sky which have all magnified their success and popularity around the world !
      Yes I'm jealous of the coverage there getting because if we had had it back then our stature as the greatest most admired club in the land would be even more magnified, it's just there good fortune that their success coincided with the media boom !
      when we reach the summit again the coverage will totally wipeout anything United have ever known !
      the attendances at the old toilet will drop considerably, there will be no way back for them, there able to recover from the Arse and Chavs pinching a title BUT US !

King Cantona is right when he says;
      To say that Fergie brought the hatred into English football is amazing, I started going in the seventies and I can assure you that football back then was far more full of hatred than it is now.......
      I don't for one minute blame Fergie for the hatred in the game, it was there before he was and will be there when he's gone ! the difference is the way in which it's getting reported SKY/INTERNET ! , there's less of it now because of segregration at matches I can remember along with older people on here, the reason for fencing in the fans ! and it wasn't that they resembled sheep !
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #31: May 22, 2009 10:12:16 pm

In this thread it has been posted as FACT that Liverpool fans were great fans who sang their hearts out for the club and were paragons of virtue.....

I have absolutely no doubt that that was true for the majority but I have had too much of the bad aspects of United fans posted on here and being told that that is what ALL United fans are like when you know it's not true...

Every club has bad fans and yes it even includes Liverpool..........
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #32: May 22, 2009 10:21:07 pm
      Yes I'm jealous of the coverage there getting because if we had had it back then our stature as the greatest most admired club in the land would be even more magnified, it's just there good fortune that their success coincided with the media boom !
      when we reach the summit again the coverage will totally wipeout anything United have ever known !
      the attendances at the old toilet will drop considerably, there will be no way back for them, there able to recover from the Arse and Chavs pinching a title BUT US !

Well actually frizzby we had the biggest crowds in the country in the 70s when we only won the FA Cup once, well the 2nd Division Championship doesn't really count does it?... ;)...
      mad red
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 177 posts | -5 
      Reply #33: May 22, 2009 10:51:45 pm
      Hopefully this is the right place to post.Sorry if it isn't mods.

As we all know they won the title again this year and equaled our record of 18 titles.We haven't won it for 20 years now, and as a fan who just started supporting Liverpool since 2000 when I was 12 ,I have never seen us winning the league before and as a result of that I have got a lot of stick from them! I understand that it is all part of football!

But what really gets to me is the fact that,most MU fans celebrate their victory by making fun of us more than celebrating their own team. I was having a look at Redcafe  (Mancs forum) and not surprisingly the had a lot of threads that made fun of us!! They even had a thread to mock RAWK!! Now I know that Internet wasn't around the last time when we won the league,but my point is....Were our fans back then so full of themselves and arrogant that we made the so called MU "fans" "suffer" ?? I personally don't think we were as low as them!!But, I would like a honest answer from the good people in this forum who were lucky enough to  King Kenny's rule!!

To be honest I wouldnt read to much into this forum crap to be honest alot of the fans are people who have never even or seen our football grounds . What they tend to do is latch on to our banter and over do it abit .

I had one girl from Cyprus she was about 17 years old telling me how to talk about my club the club my family have followed since the 40's to the 60's to the 90's to present it pisses me off .

Another American lad entered every quiz getting every question correct odvious he had cheated and used the net for the answers but when puzzled about it he claimed he was a football genuis . Nonsense .

Thats why I post on other forums because I just lose my temper with them and end up snapping.

Not all United fans are idiots Liverpool had a good season I hold my hands up but you cant expect us real fans not to celebrate.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #34: May 22, 2009 11:05:42 pm
      We want you to celebrate. We understand your highs and lows. It's just that we'd rather you had the lows and we had the highs! We're hoping next season we have the highs and you have the lows. And I'm (not) sorry to say, we hope you get battered in Rome! ;)
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #35: May 22, 2009 11:59:14 pm
      We want you to celebrate. We understand your highs and lows. It's just that we'd rather you had the lows and we had the highs! We're hoping next season we have the highs and you have the lows. And I'm (not) sorry to say, we hope you get battered in Rome! ;)

Thank you Gow, I wouldn't expect anything else.......;)........
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #36: May 23, 2009 12:50:41 am
      I started going the games in the mid 80's.  Personally, I think the atmospheres are worse now.  Newcastle for instance, we used to have a great crack with.  Nowadays, all the pubs, even the 'away ones' they are barred from. 

The whole Everton thing is another example. 

Just because Sky appear to have sanitised the whole thing - underneath the surface, around the grounds after the game and some of the chanting inside, is a lot worse than when I first went to games.

Just my observations.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #37: May 23, 2009 01:30:54 am
      Well ,tell you something... in Malaysia...most people here are MU fans at least they claim they are! But honestly they don't even know who is Bobby Charlton..now not all MU fans are glory hunters here but most of them are!! I admit that some Liverpool 'fans' here are plastic fans too!! However, since English football was only widely broadcast here in the 90's and that's when MU ruled. So forgive me for thinking that Ferguson brought hatred .......because in Malaysia most people don't have a good knowledge on the events before the "knock off the perch" comment!!Thanks for the info that in the 70s and 80s football was all about hatred....or so you say..

The other day I asked a couple of mates of mine whom claimed to be Manchester United fans. They didn't even know when Manchester United was established when I asked them. Talk about glory hunters :P

Like you said, not all Malaysians are glory hunting Man United fans, but most of them are. So happens that those born in the late 1980s to early 1990s grew up with United winning alot of trophies in the 1990s. That's why they start saying they are Man United fans when they don't know much about the club.

In my observation, people who enjoyed footie around the late 1970s and in to 1980s tend to be Liverpool fans. I started supporting Liverpool around 2000 cause I used to follow Michael Owen alot and my love for the Reds grew when Liverpool beat Man United 3-1 at Anfield with John Arne Riise's tremendous left foot strike.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: May 23, 2009 08:07:12 am
      No. We werent like the Mancs.

We had humility.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #39: May 23, 2009 09:22:43 am
      On the pitch during the 70s and 80s teams seemed to be modest and their managers where in general media shy genial men, yes we had the gobby Brian Clough or ‘Mr Bojangles’ Ron Atkinson but they where seen as entertainment because mainly what they came out with was not vindictive or malicious even if Cloughie lost the plot big time towards the end of his career when he became totally pickled due to his alcohol intake.

During the height of our powers Bob Paisley was the epitome of modesty as he swept away all that was put before him, after the 77 cup final loss to Man Utd he sat on a bus coming home whilst Brian Moore interviewed him he then went on to say how it was a shame that we had lost but we had a European cup final to come on Wednesday and Liverpool would be doing their best to win and make Britain proud, all this was said without once bemoaning a conceded deflected goal or launching into a venomous ‘we woz robbed’ tirade against anyone from the Ref to the programme seller on Wembley way, in fact Bob delivered his post match interview with a lovely beaming smile on his face that he always had whether we won or lost.

The point is he had grace in defeat and was magnanimous in his praise when we won and I think this attitude transferred itself to the fans, I never went round boasting and bragging to my mates because we all knew who the best team in Europe where yes it was Real Madrid!! ;D No it was Liverpool of course but why did we need to rub it in to other clubs when we won things every year surely boasting is something done by clubs who have never won much as they never know when they will lift a trophy again?

On Merseyside I find the lads who tend to get on a high horse and brag and boast come from a group who have never been a game in their life, those who sit in the pub every Saturday wearing their replica top and watch the game on whatever foreign channel that’s showing it! The bitterest of blues I bump into also seem to fall under the same category and now seemed to be more preoccupied with how Liverpool have got on instead of their own team!

Slur Alex didn’t set this trend of bragging to the extreme its just the way certain fans seem to have gone, every club has them I just think you will find most reds do not fall into this category, there’s a song by Ronan Keating I think (no I don’t have the album!) that goes something like “you say it best when you say nothing at all” and I think that line is perfect as I prefer to look smug rather than go for the all out verbal assault.

Oh by the way about the bit that went off topic regarding the 70s-80s being better or worse violence/animosity wise, well in my opinion they where ten times worse back then. Yes Reds and blues mingled as pockets of each appeared on the Kop/Street end during a Derby with very few violent results, but the trouble with other fans was to the extreme to put it mildly as Rapid hardware in town sold more DIY items on a match day than the do now on a Bank holiday Monday and they weren’t for odd jobs round the house.

This was going on long before Sir Alex appeared on the scene so to tarnish him with helping to remove the ‘friendly banter’ from a game is totally wrong, for me money is the root of all that’s wrong in our game, those who have it wave it about like Harry Enfields loadsamoney, those who don’t scrape to survive and cast envious glances up to the richer elite. Those elite seem to attract the ‘fashion fan’ somebody not football mad from birth but manufactured by the ability to follow who you want as long as you have the money.

Through the 70s-80s I queued to get into Anfield, paid my money and took up my place on the Kop, fast forward to now in an age where you wait on a phone ticket line give them your credit card number and your in. The point I’m making is the lazy reds fan the fan who isn’t that bothered whether he gets in or not is in a lottery with fans who would bleed to get into Anfield and usually the wrong fan seems to win that lottery and that can only be detrimental to our support.

A cracking post plus off me .

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009 10:08:18 am by ayrton77, Reason: Response was in quote box »
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #40: May 23, 2009 09:39:38 am
      The other day I asked a couple of mates of mine whom claimed to be Manchester United fans. They didn't even know when Manchester United was established when I asked them. Talk about glory hunters :P

Like you said, not all Malaysians are glory hunting Man United fans, but most of them are. So happens that those born in the late 1980s to early 1990s grew up with United winning alot of trophies in the 1990s. That's why they start saying they are Man United fans when they don't know much about the club.

In my observation, people who enjoyed footie around the late 1970s and in to 1980s tend to be Liverpool fans. I started supporting Liverpool around 2000 cause I used to follow Michael Owen alot and my love for the Reds grew when Liverpool beat Man United 3-1 at Anfield with John Arne Riise's tremendous left foot strike.

I have to agree with you on this Ad. Most of the our fellow Malaysian Man Utd supporters are well under 20's so I do understand why they crazily in love with Man Utd...and the girls, after David Beckham comes sissy Ronaldo to drool over. Most of them supports Man Utd because they won so many things. You don't ask them about Booby Bobby charlton, just ask them about Lee Sharpe and I can assure you they didn't have a clue who this guy was! Not to mention Kanchelskis!I started supporting Liverpool since 1990 (sadly the time we started to lose grip on the league title) but I supported Liverpool not because of their history but the passion of their fans eventhough they are losing, they still sang their hearts out.

Here in Malaysia, if you are a Liverpool supporter then you'll in the Veterans Group as most of our supporter here are well beyond 40's...Well veteran or not, they are truly pure and genuine supporter. I'd rather be with an aging senile Liverpool supporter than to be with a plastic poser Man Utd supporter who didn't even know Dennis Irwin was!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #41: May 23, 2009 12:45:06 pm
      Well actually frizzby we had the biggest crowds in the country in the 70s when we only won the FA Cup once, well the 2nd Division Championship doesn't really count does it?... ;)...
      Not for a single moment am I saying you weren't well supported then or even now for that matter, you have a stadium that I admire both as a structure and it's location but there lies the solution (Capacity),  we can't hope to match your attendances until we expand or move (we can't even match Newcastle's and they may be playing in the Championship next year)!
      my comment was, what will be your fans reaction be to playing second fiddle to us when we win the title, I'm sure in my mind that a lot of your fans are not true United fans and are on the so called winners bandwaggon.
      Because of our limited seating our attendances are constantly in the mid 40k's and have been since all seating came in, what I'm trying to say is I think your attendances will suffer when your overtaken by us due to your "bandwaggon fans" deserting you but we'll only know when it happens !
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #42: May 23, 2009 01:59:40 pm
      my comment was, what will be your fans reaction be to playing second fiddle to us when we win the title, I'm sure in my mind that a lot of your fans are not true United fans and are on the so called winners bandwaggon.
      Because of our limited seating our attendances are constantly in the mid 40k's and have been since all seating came in, what I'm trying to say is I think your attendances will suffer when your overtaken by us due to your "bandwaggon fans" deserting you but we'll only know when it happens !

I almost wish those days were back, It may happen one day but not any time soon, I'm certain you are correct about true United fans but you are no doubt unaware of the vast number of United fans (from Manchester) who would love to get into Old Trafford but can't get a ticket. Maybe these people will now get a chance....
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #43: May 23, 2009 04:11:26 pm
      I earlier said the main difference was Humility.

This was and still is prevalent throughout the whole of our club.......with the exception of Hansel and Gretel.

There are other teams around, like us..........

Thought this was a relevant article from Football365.com describing the difference between Barcelona FOOTBALL Club and the Mankers.

"In the Blaugrana corner, a club owned by its fans, which donates 1 million Euros a year to UNICEF for wearing its name on their shirts, and is officially named 'FC Barcelona' reminding them that they are, first and foremost, a football club.

In the Red corner, a merchandising machine owned by American business interests that takes in 14.5 million US$ a year from AIG (i.e. NOW from hardworking US taxpayers) for wearing its name on their shirts, and who dropped the words 'football club' from their logo back  in 1998 as it did not "fit in with the marketing brand"."

Says it all....

Money ISN'T everything Mankers.

NO we were never like them and we NEVER will be.

(PS Born in the Fifties.)
      BlueDuffleCoat
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts | -4 
      Reply #44: May 23, 2009 04:39:00 pm
      When we were cleaning up all the league titles,F.A.Cups,League Cups and all the European Cups we did it with style and we did it with modest managers.Ferguson can never be compared to Bill Shankly,Bob Paisley,Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish in fact it is an insult to even mention his name when talking about our famous managers.The same goes for the fans,L.F.C. fans have long been recognised as the most knowledgeable and fairest in the world and that is why all the top class players love to play at Anfield and get first hand experience of the Kop in full voice.

What nonsense, Ferguson whether you like him or not is one of Britains most successful managers and ranks alongside the past greats of the game, that includes Shankly and Paisley. As for winning it in style, what are you referring too? Shankly played as much mind games and gave sarcastic comments as Ferguson has done in the past and will do so in the future. Shankly's comments about Everton being a shining example. Does this diminish Shankly reputation as a catalyst for creating the rich history that we enjoy today? Of course it doesn't, it's the same with Ferguson.

As for fans, you get morons in every football club and Liverpool has had its fairshare in the past and will do so in the future, just as it does in the present. And don't delude yourself into thinking that every player who walks through Melwood and Anfield is a Liverpool fan. Ryan Babel is an Arsenal fan for example, his job is to play football and he plys his trade at Liverpool. I'm sure if Arsenal had come in for him, he'd have chosen them over us.
      BlueDuffleCoat
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts | -4 
      Reply #45: May 23, 2009 04:42:15 pm
      Alright KC drop it....I hope this thread doesn't become a 'dark' thread!!I don't want people coming here and talking about Munich and Hillsborough.

Why not? Shouldn't the younger generations be taught about these things? Or are you afraid of having your sheer ignorance broken?

Quick Reply