Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Superb Article (Must Read)

Read 4703 times
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Re: Superb Article (Must Read)
      Reply #23: May 19, 2009 03:01:08 am
      Good read mate, tx
      ssr.w
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts |
      • Liverbird tattoed in my heart!
      Reply #24: May 19, 2009 04:28:49 am
      absolutely true, every single word!! of course every one seems or need to read it with our LFC hearts as well, is in our red-blood!!

but why everyone did not see the teams that play against the man ure goes backward?? or is it just me??

YNWA
       ps: of course 2009/10 is ours no doubt about it.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #25: May 19, 2009 05:33:17 am
      Thanks govinox, I've read it thank you....

A lot of truth in the article but surely even the most biased scouser must admit that there was an element of bias as well....

But we're all at least a bit biased towards the club we support.......

So tell is it a must for Rafa to congratulate Ferguson? He did congratulate MU as a club and that is good enough,don't you think?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: May 19, 2009 07:00:59 am
      Thanks govinox, I've read it thank you....

A lot of truth in the article but surely even the most biased scouser must admit that there was an element of bias as well....

But we're all at least a bit biased towards the club we support.......

Bias and truth are different things. You can highlight the bias points yourself and i'll look to explain them to you personally.
      King Cantona
      • Likes to finish every post with multiple full stops.
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #27: May 19, 2009 07:59:59 am
      So tell is it a must for Rafa to congratulate Ferguson? He did congratulate MU as a club and that is good enough,don't you think?

I'm not surprised he didn't and I'm sure Fergie could care less...

Isn't it up to the congratulater (is there such a word?) to congratulate whoever he wants to and if the congratulations are coerced they're meaningless...
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2009 03:10:01 pm by King Cantona »
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #28: May 19, 2009 09:20:01 am
      Listen cantona, Rafa congratulated utd as a club, the reason being he cannot stand ferguson and what hes all about. Hes been vilified as some sort of poor loser coz he wont kiss fergusons arse like the rest of the media, do you think ferguson would do any different? The man is the ultimate bad loser and by far the most disrespectful and hypocritical manager there has ever been. And this is not Liverpool bias, i call things as i see them and give cedit where its due, this is the truth mate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #29: May 19, 2009 09:58:40 am
      I think we can wait until Fergie says well done to Steven...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: May 19, 2009 10:11:25 am
      TNAwrestling that is a brilliant article and it is so very true.Thank you for posting it ,could you possibly get it posted on a Man United forum,that would stir the bast*rds up.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #31: May 19, 2009 11:58:49 am
      TNAwrestling that is a brilliant article and it is so very true.Thank you for posting it ,could you possibly get it posted on a Man United forum,that would stir the bast*rds up.

sorry mate, wouldnt even google a united forum, just the way i am, feel free though to post it yourself, wish i could find out who wrote the article so i can credit their name to it, it's a spot on account
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #32: May 19, 2009 01:41:30 pm
      And that’s why I’m proud to be a long-suffering Liverpool fan

1 European Cup
      1 UEFA Cup
      3 FA Cups
      3 League Cups
      2 European Super Cups
      2 Charity Shields

We may not have won the league in 20 years, but calling ourselves long-suffering?

King Cantona
      • Likes to finish every post with multiple full stops.
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #33: May 19, 2009 03:15:21 pm
      Listen cantona, Rafa congratulated utd as a club, the reason being he cannot stand ferguson and what hes all about. Hes been vilified as some sort of poor loser coz he wont kiss fergusons arse like the rest of the media, do you think ferguson would do any different?

Well Paul I actually agree, I have absolutely no idea what Fergie would do. Maybe we'll find out in the next few years, Rafa congratulating United as a club is enough for me and to be quite honest I'm sure Fergie isn't waiting on personal plaudits either, it's clear that there is no love lost between the two.....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #34: May 19, 2009 03:29:58 pm
      Well Paul I actually agree, I have absolutely no idea what Fergie would do. Maybe we'll find out in the next few years, Rafa congratulating United as a club is enough for me and to be quite honest I'm sure Fergie isn't waiting on personal plaudits either, it's clear that there is no love lost between the two.....

Good post.

When we won 4-1 Ferguson did come out and say the better team lost.  I would imagine Benitez's point was something along the lines of Liverpool had beaten United twice - I don't know.

Either way, we all remember Ferguson saying how he would be sending a case of wine or whatever to Ancelotti if they beat us in the European Cup in 2007.  Fact is the media love this Fergie-Benitez soap opera.  It was right for Benitez to congratulate Manchester United and I can understand why on a personal level he has no respect for Ferguson so I don't blame him for not congratulating him personally.

If it wasn't Liverpool and Manchester United - the media wouldn't have made such a big deal about it.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #35: May 19, 2009 04:06:19 pm
      Mind Games, do they actually work?
      Throughout the past few months, we've gone from the "Rafa's cracking up" headlines, to the latest exchange in criticising Rafa's reaction to our second goal against Blackburn; all of which are apparently returns of serve in the wonderful art of mind games. Is this whole mind games thing a myth, or do they actually work?

I've read and heard that Alex Ferguson is apparently the master of the mind games; that's he's chewed and spat out managers over the years who've dared get into a war of words with him. Could it not just be that he happened to have the better team that year, rather than him winning the battle of the mind games?

Who has he actually defeated in a battle of mind games anyway? Kevin Keegan was the first high profile casualty, as he exploded with comical effect; but for me, he's the only one to feel the affect of the mind games war. The likes of Wenger and Mourinho have given as good as they've got, and have each won league titles over the past decade. The side that has won the title has generally been the best side in the country, not just the side with the manager who's the master of carefully chosen words.

Rafael Benitez spoke out at the turn of the year with his list of "facts" about Alex Ferguson. He was slaughtered for those words, not because they were untruths, but because of his sides failure to win their next few games. A 7 point lead at the top of the league was turned into a 7 point deficit in the blink of an eye. How that run of poor performances had anything to do with highlighting hypocrisies with Mr.Ferguson's behaviour and listing his bullying tactics I'll never know. Those points stand true today as they did back then. Since that "rant", Mr.Ferguson has done nothing to dismiss those claims and everything to reaffirm them. They weren't mind games; they were statements of fact.

The latest exchange from last weekend was laughable. The secret society that is the League Managers Association ganging up on a non-member in order to ridicule him; when all they have done is brought ridicule upon themselves. Every man and his dog has seen through the embarrassing attempt made to criticise Benitez, all while our manager maintained a dignified silence. A response that will have annoyed his aggressors more than any verbal retort.

Mr.Ferguson accused Benitez of "contempt" and "humiliation" of a fellow manger, citing his work for the LMA as a reason why he shouldn't be looked down on. This is the same Sam Allardyce that stated Rafael Benitez wouldn't be in a job if it wasn't for his European success and gave his "Johnny Englander" view on foreign managers. The same Sam Allardyce that thinks he's a far better manager than he actually is. The Newcastle side he left in ruins are now fighting for their lives, and his current side Blackburn have been dragged right into the dog fight at the bottom. The self proclaimed tactical genius played Samba up front at Anfield last week, with Steve Warnock in behind him. Two defenders up front and one of the worst sides I've seen at Anfield in years. Good work Sam.

Mr.Ferguson accused Benitez of contempt and criticised him for calling Everton a small club. Mr.Ferguson then follows that up with selecting a second string side for an FA Cup semi final against this "big club" called Everton. If that's not showing contempt for the FA Cup and showing contempt for Everton then what is? You can bet your last pound, that if United were playing a big club like ourselves, Arsenal or Chelsea, then there's no way on earth he'd have selected that side. Hypocritical seems to be his middle name.

The one thing Rafael Benitez has started this season, is the fight back against Alex Ferguson and his merry men. He's stood up to him and his bullying tactics. For far too long Alex Ferguson has held too much power over the FA, The Premier League, referees and other clubs in this country. By Benitez standing up to that, he's invited others to do the same.

One of the most influential press conferences this season was the one that followed our 4-1 win at Old Trafford.

While Alex Ferguson refused to face the cameras, and bizarrely stating United were the better side as he left mumbling obscenities, Rafael Benitez highlighted exactly how we'd beaten United. He detailed the tactics used and proved to everyone else that they are beatable if you have a go at them. No longer do you need to hide in the shadows and employ a damage limitation exercise; attack them and they will wobble.

A week later they went to Fulham and lost 2-0, with Roy Hodgson's side having a real go at them. Aston Villa went to Old Trafford and did the same, and were very unlucky not to win the game, never mind coming away with nothing. Porto went to the so called Theatre of Dreams and can count themselves unlucky not to have won the game. They are beatable, and Benitez let everyone know that.

If any of these mind games have had any effect, then the exchange of words following the 4-1 win at Old Trafford could be the most important. They are the words that actually influenced games; childish insults do not.

Mr.Ferguson's touchline antics at the failure to award his side a penalty at the weekend had all the hallmarks of a man under pressure. If any manager is cracking up, it's not the manager with the goatee beard.

Paul Jones   

The last few paragraphs are spot on.I never realized it though!! Looks like if there was a thing called "mind games" Rafa was the victor.
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2009 04:10:13 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Put in news article format. »

Quick Reply