Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Martin Kelly (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 166054 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Martin Kelly Player Thread
      Reply #943: Apr 10, 2013 02:46:31 pm
      In today's press conference Brendan was asked if Martin would feature as CH in the future but also said he'd tried to sign him on loan at Swansea.  Never knew that.

Didn't know that. Interesting.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #944: Apr 11, 2013 01:35:58 pm
      I'm waiting with bated breath for Kelly to play as centre-back. If my expectations are true, we need to buy a second choice centre-back to push Kelly not the other way around.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #945: Apr 25, 2013 11:08:12 am
      Brendan Rodgers confirming he's being readied for next season:

"Martin has been working very hard and making good progress," Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo.

"He is in between the training group and the rehab group. But there is no point in rushing him back at this stage of the season.

"There are no thoughts for Martin to play between now and the end of the season."

"We just have to make sure we get him back fully fit and the objective was always to get him ready for pre-season. He's a player who did very well when he played at the start of the season.

"He has shown his talent and it will be a boost to have him back in the squad for next season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #946: Apr 25, 2013 01:58:47 pm
      I think that's a good idea. No need to rush him back from an ACL injury with only 4 games left in the season.

I actually think he started the season off quite slow, but then he started to really adjust to playing under Brendan. And just as that started to happen, he gets injured. Terrible luck that.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #947: Apr 27, 2013 04:00:21 pm
      Cannot rush him back from that kind of injury.

Hopefully he can stay fit now and push for a starting spot, and get a proper season under his belt.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #948: Apr 28, 2013 11:32:02 am
      After that display last night by Johnson, Kelly's return can't come quick enough.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #949: Apr 28, 2013 10:52:53 pm
      Agger is a player who has been hampered by injuries with us and Gerrard has had a fair few over the last couple of seasons but they have both been injury free all season apart from maybe the occasional knock every player picks up so hopefully the medical staff and coaches can work the same wonder with Kelly next season.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #950: May 16, 2013 06:18:31 pm
      @Petermcdowall10 25m
      Had a good chat with Martin Kelly today, says he would like to think his long-term future is at centre-back. He's buzzing to be back. #LFC
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #951: May 19, 2013 10:52:45 pm
      @Petermcdowall10 25m
      Had a good chat with Martin Kelly today, says he would like to think his long-term future is at centre-back. He's buzzing to be back. #LFC

He could save us a fortune if he was moved to centre half and succeeded there like many of us think he could.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #952: May 19, 2013 10:59:00 pm
      Wisdom on the right, Kelly in the middle.
      Give it a run out in pre season.

For the volatile out there, I'm not saying we don't sign another defender.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #953: May 19, 2013 11:01:10 pm
      Wisdom on the right, Kelly in the middle.
      Give it a run out in pre season.

For the volatile out there, I'm not saying we don't sign another defender.

And Robinson on the left.

Norm, Marty, Dagger, Robbo. Looks like a F***ing beast of a back four to me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #954: May 19, 2013 11:02:15 pm
      Sign one quality CB and have Kelly as the third and ready to step in.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #955: May 19, 2013 11:06:55 pm
      And Robinson on the left.

Norm, Marty, Dagger, Robbo. Looks like a F***ing beast of a back four to me.

I'd be happy to see another window like January.
      Bringing in small amounts of quality rather than quantity.
      Utilise the core of youth players we have in a way that allows them to develop.

Glad to see Kelly back in light training.
      He's been riddled with injury for quite some time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #956: May 19, 2013 11:16:13 pm
      I'd be happy to see another window like January.
      Bringing in small amounts of quality rather than quantity.
      Utilise the core of youth players we have in a way that allows them to develop.

Glad to see Kelly back in light training.
      He's been riddled with injury for quite some time.

The way it's looking at the moment, I don't see the point in buying somebody who is actually gonna go straight into the team. Other than a centre forward as, much to my disappointment, I don't think Morgs is gonna make it and Borini really doesn't cut it for me. So a back up forward is probably the only position I'd be looking at in terms of squad filling.

The young lads we've got in reserve are all able to perform to a good enough level in my opinion. Obviously this may be me being slightly biased, as usual, but from what I've seen our younger lads very rarely let us down. If there's an injury to any of the first XI, then I think the players we've already got can do a job. The problem I have is maybe it's the actual first XI who aren't good enough. So that's why I would only be looking to bring in somebody who is actually gonna be a nailed on starter as opposed to somebody who is just gonna flirt in and out of the team.

What's the point, for example, in signing Ashley Williams to rotate with Skrtel who partners Agger - just allow Kelly to do that job.

And I agree it's good to see Marty back in training. His injury record is rather poor but then again so was Stevie's at his age. Hopefully Marty can put the injuries behind him and continue to develop into the top player he promises to be.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #957: May 19, 2013 11:21:09 pm
      I kind of agree Billy but I'd like us to sign one quality CB and use Kelly as the third as it just takes the pressure off the lad a bit.

If Martin plays as well as I think he can and keeps the other player out of the side then that is a bonus.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #958: May 19, 2013 11:24:32 pm
      Wisdom has shown what we can do in squad terms this season.
      I'd hate for us to sign a right back, who would then keep Wisdom out of the team.

I'm not so sure on the CB position, purely because we have lost Carra and may lose Coates.
      If that happens we only have Skrtel and Agger. Scary to see the team stripped back to that.

I still remember Rafa saying that a team challenging for the title and in Europe needed two
      players for every position and a youth player.

That would be a squad of 22, U21 not counted. In that we would have 4(6 including U21) CBs.
      We are nowhere near that. Kelly and Wisdom should definitely get a look in, but we certainly need at least one CB.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #959: Jul 07, 2013 07:56:50 am
      Big season for the lad, hope he can stay injury free as I think he could be a massive player for us either at full or centre back.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #960: Jul 08, 2013 01:17:20 am
      Just hope he gets a hair cut....can't have the long hair and alice band unless you are awesome....oh, or if your andy carroll.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #961: Jul 09, 2013 10:51:31 am
      Wisdom has shown what we can do in squad terms this season.
      I'd hate for us to sign a right back, who would then keep Wisdom out of the team.

I'm not so sure on the CB position, purely because we have lost Carra and may lose Coates.
      If that happens we only have Skrtel and Agger. Scary to see the team stripped back to that.

I still remember Rafa saying that a team challenging for the title and in Europe needed two
      players for every position and a youth player.

That would be a squad of 22, U21 not counted. In that we would have 4(6 including U21) CBs.
      We are nowhere near that. Kelly and Wisdom should definitely get a look in, but we certainly need at least one CB.
      dont forget we've got Kolo Toure who is a experianced CB replacement for Carra, and Kelly can play CB. think we need another LB to cover Enrique then next summer a world class RB as i think Johons will be off to spain to retire hence why he's learning ~Spanish and has stated he would like to play a season out there before he retires. Big year for Kelly
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #962: Jul 09, 2013 10:58:08 pm
      I guess Kelly is a bit of a forgotten man in the squad and having him back will in many ways be like signing a new player. I (like most others) have also believed he was a CB doing a bit of an apprenticeship at FB and will be interesting to see if Rodgers has a look at him at CB this season. He is certainly comfortable on the ball which is a pre-requisite for the way we play and he has decent enough pace. The questions would be whether he can be the dominant player we need in the air? I'm not so sure meself and does he have the leadership/organisational qualities you look for in a top CB?
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #963: Jul 09, 2013 11:09:08 pm
      l like wisdom think he be class player,and martin will be both cbacks in team for years come,
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #964: Jul 18, 2013 09:39:56 pm
      From what I saw of him in the game against Preston and also in photos from training, he looks like he has lost a bit of weight.  He looks very lean and fit, which could be a very good thing in helping keep him injury free!!  Hopefully he can get a full preseason under his belt and have an injury free campaign.  This lad has been so unlucky with injuries in his career, and I can only imagine the level he would be at if he hadn't missed such a large chunk of his developmental years :(

Stay fit young lad!!  Looking forward to seeing more of you this year :)

YNWA
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #965: Aug 25, 2013 10:10:00 pm
      If Kelly is fit, I'd play him at right back not CB as a safer and much more savvy player than Glen Johnston, who is so inconsistent and wasteful. Before Kelly got injured he was outstanding and should take back his position immediately.

Quick Reply