Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Is it right to support two teams

Read 24916 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Re: Is it right to support two teams
      Reply #115: May 24, 2009 12:06:49 am
      IMO, someone's signature doesn't affect their loyalty towards Liverpool Football Club.

If it was a sig of a different football club then I'd definately question one's loyality, but in this case it's a completely different sport.

JayDLFC
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts | -1 
      Reply #116: May 24, 2009 01:33:30 am
      hey guys back to the subject yea i do belive its right to support 2 teams in diffrent leagues as im from cardiff i support them but i am a lover of liverpool everyplayer the way they play and everything about them!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #117: May 24, 2009 02:45:17 am
      You are the most closed minded bunch I have ever came across.

As far as I know, that is my opinion and not that of anyone elses. Call me what you wish, but it is my opinion and I stick to it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #118: May 24, 2009 08:37:23 pm
      StevieIsStillGod, personally I think you've argued the case pretty well. Mind you I still firmly believe that you can't love two clubs of any sport the same because if it came to making a decision between getting a ticket for the Superbowl to see the Vikings or to see Liverpool in the Champions League final then obviously that would force you to make a decision on which one you'd rather see. But until that moment comes then it's best left alone. :laugh:

On the signature thing, it doesn't really bother me and I don't think people without any sort of signature are the right people to have a pop at you over it.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #119: May 24, 2009 08:42:55 pm
      I think that there is a divide here.  Those of us who were born in Liverpool and had LFC running through our veins before we could walk and talk find it hard to contemplate supporting another team.

There are lots of LFC supporters around the country and around the world who will also care for their local team, which I think is perfectly acceptable.

The fact that for us Scousers, our local team is the best team in the world, means that we don't need to look elsewhere for a Premiership or Champions League club to follow.

YNWA  :scarf:
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #120: May 24, 2009 08:57:01 pm
      I support my local team Livingston through and through, go to home and away games.
      But I still say im a big Liverpool supporter also.
      Id say its wrong to support 2 English teams, but supporting teams from different countries is acceptable.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #121: May 24, 2009 09:13:28 pm
      I support 2 clubs. Barrow and LFC.

I support Barrow because it's my hometown team, no one has really brought me up to support them, so I've chosen that path on my own. However, this is only in addition to me being an LFC fan from a very early age, as I was brought up to be one. I go to Barrow games week in, week out. I watch all but very few Liverpool games on TV/Internet streams. I am of the opinion that this is perfectly fine.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #122: May 24, 2009 09:14:06 pm
      I didnt get to choose Liverpool I was brought up that way 10 mins from the ground. I dont understand distant support I really dont. If you have a family connection with Liverpool thats understandable but to choose to support Liverpool is totally wrong to me its not a product to choose one over another perhaps you like the colour of the shirt etc. Generations of support are built up and in my families case my grandfather started way back in the late 20,s (1920's)I stood in the spots my father and my grandfather stood and now grandchildren and great grandchildren do the same and so it goes on. This is OUR club not some Yanks with other peoples money to spend note the name LIVERPOOL and the ground ANFIELD the clue is in there.

If I've got this right johnstop, it's only by accident of birth that you are a Red?

Whereas others actually made the decision based on choice. We had a choice between many sports and many teams, yet we all choose Liverpool F.C.; to me that shows intelligence, acumen and logic: no randomness and pot-luck of birth for us.

We weren't born 10 mins from Anfield - the accident of birth was "cruel" to us that way - I guess you count yourself lucky that your mum and dad weren't bitters, eh?

However, I was lucky enough to have been brought to watch the Reds in 1971, by my da, and I've never followed another team. My Daughter's the same by the way - start of that "generations" thing maybe?

I must admit to "following" the fortunes (at various times) of; Washington Redskins (American Football); Boston Red Sox (Baseball); St Helens (Rugby Lge) and Lancashire (Cricket)...... all of which of either the "Red" in their names are their proximity to Liverpool - sad but true.

YNWA

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 08:14:07 am by bad boy bubby »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #123: May 27, 2009 01:25:36 pm
      Abit of us v them is arising in this thread and i think its ridiculous. Questioning each others passion for this club is ridiculous when we are all simply answering the question posed.

I didnt get to choose Liverpool I was brought up that way 10 mins from the ground. I dont understand distant support I really dont. If you have a family connection with Liverpool thats understandable but to choose to support Liverpool is totally wrong to me its not a product to choose one over another perhaps you like the colour of the shirt etc. Generations of support are built up and in my families case my grandfather started way back in the late 20,s (1920's)I stood in the spots my father and my grandfather stood and now grandchildren and great grandchildren do the same and so it goes on. This is OUR club not some Yanks with other peoples money to spend note the name LIVERPOOL and the ground ANFIELD the clue is in there.

So pretty much your telling people like me and other OOT's (and i say that with my pride intact) that we should F**k off and support some other club we were born close to?

By this i suppose your one of those bitter boo boys who believe that because you were born from the town you have say in how it should be run, who should play, who should manage and who should support it? Shallow pr**k.

Supporting 2 teams is fine. Maybe you grow up supporting a club but then have affection to your home town's side. Whats wrong with that? Really?
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #124: May 27, 2009 01:32:43 pm
      Crouchino keep your insults of the line as I cant speak to you face to face
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #125: May 27, 2009 01:38:32 pm
      Crouchino keep your insults of the line as I cant speak to you face to face

johnstop, keep your personal war off this forum.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #126: May 27, 2009 01:43:38 pm
      F**k off johnstop you clown.

Living 10 metres or 10,0000000000 metres from the ground does not make you anymore special nor a greater fan. Its where you heart stands and what you as an INDIVIDUAL believe and stand for not as what your father, grandfater or great grandfather stood for.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #127: May 27, 2009 01:46:25 pm
      F**k off johnstop you clown.

Living 10 metres or 10,0000000000 metres from the ground does not make you anymore special nor a greater fan. Its where you heart stands and what you as an INDIVIDUAL believe and stand for not as what your father, grandfater or great grandfather stood for.

And thats the bloody truth! Amen, brother! :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #128: May 27, 2009 01:48:37 pm
      Could everybody try to keep their arguments impersonal?

I appreciate it's a touchy subject, but it doesn't make your point any more valid if you tell someone to do one.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #129: May 27, 2009 01:50:02 pm
      Starting to grow a bit weary of this topic now.  People trading insults isn't on.

The point of the topic was about supporting TWO football clubs.  If you want to have an OOT v local debate then resurrect that old topic.  I know plenty of passionate reds who have been supporting the club since the time they could walk but are not from Liverpool. Equally I know half-arsed disinterested 'reds' from Liverpool who think they know everything about the club. 

So getting BACK ON TOPIC - can you passionately support two football clubs?

I've already said I don't think you can, although wanting local sides to do well is entirely natural.  Prescot Cables, for instance, aren't a million miles away from me now - and while I don't follow them - I'd be pleased if they got to the FA Cup 3rd Round or something.

Anyway....  On Topic!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #130: May 27, 2009 01:52:14 pm
      Couldnt help it I dont come on this forum after 18 months and years of support for Liverpool to be told by someone that my association with the club is because I liked the colour of their shirt. I am a grown man and dont often fire up when it comes to these arguments but that was far too ignorant and uncalled for.

I have no regrets about it either.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #131: May 27, 2009 02:03:55 pm
      So, anybody got anything further to say about supporting two teams or is it okay for me to lock the topic?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #132: May 27, 2009 02:08:56 pm
      I don't think you can really fully support two teams, especially if they are fierce rivals.

I remember once somebody saying to me that they supported both Man United and Man City - how ridiculous.

However, I can understand if people have a 'first' and 'second' team, for example your first team might be Liverpool but your second might be Aberdeen due to having family from there. I definately don't think though that you can support two teams as much as each other.

I suppose you could argue that for example if you lived the first 20 years of your life in Madrid as a Real supporter and then moved to Liverpool where you have lived for 40 years, you may then support both Liverpool and Madrid but I think certainly in this case your preferences will lie with Madrid.

So no, personally I don't think it's right/possible to suppport two teams, at least not in the same way as each other anyway.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #133: May 27, 2009 02:11:41 pm
      So, anybody got anything further to say about supporting two teams or is it okay for me to lock the topic?

Bloody hell this forum is looking up, finally a bit of democracy ;)

Anyways on topic (if it remains open) no it's not right.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #134: May 27, 2009 02:13:01 pm
      Exactly Ross - in your example above with Madrid - you would have been supporting Madrid for 60 years.

I'd be interested in the opinions of people who attend AFC Liverpool games for instance. 
      IwanttobeJohnBarnes
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #135: May 27, 2009 02:53:30 pm
      Ultimately it comes down to ONE team

If you claim to support two teams and they ever met, your gonna have to go with one or the other.
      IF you don't, well , hey as far as I'm concerned you just don't get it.

We don't need diluted support

One Team, One Club, One Love   :aaliverpoolwz0:
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #136: May 27, 2009 04:00:42 pm
      The point has been diluted but it refers back to someone from Canada I believe who had no association with the club other than some liking for it. I didnt slag off anyone nor insult anyone I gave my view and I stand by it. I "like" Spurs who were a big big side in the 60's but I dont support them maybe the word support has been distored or diluted.I disagree that having generations of support and that means going to home and away matches as well as European games dosent make you a better supporter than someone who just fancied to follow Liverpool for whatever reason. If it werent for 1000's of familes going back generations then there would be no Liverpool football club to support.To keep finally on topic if you ask me if I follow some other teams results i'd say yes I do without supporting them.Disspointed in mods allowing very personal insults when I did nothing similar.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #137: May 27, 2009 04:41:05 pm
      Thought I'd just throw up a scenario here that wouldn't happen very often but still comes up occasionally(I know someone that this happened to). Say you support a team for the sake of the argument it's hull city but say a relative signed for someone else lets say stoke would it then be alright to support two teams? if not what do you do?

Quick Reply