Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Is it right to support two teams

Read 24928 times
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Re: Is it right to support two teams
      Reply #46: May 21, 2009 10:43:11 am
      No sorry, ive supported Liverpool for as long as i can remember, over 39 years and to me you should only have ONE team who is in your heart. Obviously theres nothing wrong in having an interest in other football matters , but to say that i could support another team as well as the reds is not normal!
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #47: May 21, 2009 10:46:41 am
      no support 1 team but its fine if you"like" to see your home team do well too
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #48: May 21, 2009 10:47:13 am
      If Everton play Manure ..who would you support? ;)
      Im starting to feel a bit weird reading this thread now. ;)
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #49: May 21, 2009 11:02:05 am
      The major thing here is that
      1. many have reported having only ONE team in their heart and cannot give the same kind of love to other teams as their well cherished team (Liverpool).
      2. For yet others, they can have a soft corner for other teams (football or any other sport) but cannot show same appreciation and support for the other teams as their 'main' one (Liverpool).
      3. Finally others find no harm in having different 'favorite' or 'best-liked' teams in the same sport field or different sports and can give equal attention and/or support to those teams...

Anyways, I guess everybody here or at least the majority feel  :aaliverpool2xt1: !
      rainOd5star
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #50: May 21, 2009 11:53:24 am
      Went on holidays with a manc supporter 1 year, went to the bar to watch Celtic play manu, he landed down with a celtic top on!!! then when manu scored he was off his seat celebrating!! everyone else in the bar was either confused or laughing at him! I still take the hand out of him about it!Typical manc supporter!!! I have to admit i have a soft spot for Celtic but that's as far as it goes!
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #51: May 21, 2009 12:23:58 pm
      I tried supporting other teams.I tried following Barca and Milan ,read about their history and about their players. However when these teams lost ,I taught I would be bothered ,but honestly I couldn't give a sh*t.Why even when my local team loses I couldn't give a sh*t.So in the end not that I don't want to support two teams ,I tried but I came to the conclusion that there is only one Liverpool for me!
      skrtelivision
      • Skrtelivision
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #52: May 21, 2009 01:12:49 pm
      You cant support two teams! its as simple as that.

You can want another team to do well but by supporting two teams just doesnt work.

Even though i follow the results of the Cardiff Blues even though its rugby i still cant get as passionate about it as i can with Liverpool.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #53: May 21, 2009 01:16:59 pm
      If Everton play Manure ..who would you support? ;)

Everton, they are a small club of no consequence.

Either way it's a win win situation but given a choice I still prefer United to lose.
      rainOd5star
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #54: May 21, 2009 01:23:00 pm
      Best you could hope for is suspensions and injuries! :tv_happy:
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #55: May 21, 2009 01:25:21 pm
      I can understand people wanting their home town team to do well but if you support a really great team you can only have loyalties to one team. If you live in Liverpool there would be no competion Reds all the way.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #56: May 21, 2009 03:29:12 pm
      My decision to support LFC came when i went to the city with my uncle when i was 7.... 1992.

I cant imagine supporting another team.  We all say "we're gunners for the night" if they play united etc, but thats mainly just wanting United to loose.
      ColdEyes
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts |
      Reply #57: May 21, 2009 05:29:42 pm
      Yes, you can, but not at the same level. And only if not in the same league. You can give real support for your "second team", but you'll never be as passionate as you are about your 'first team".
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #58: May 21, 2009 06:49:48 pm
      To be honest, I don't think my old man probably gave much of a toss about England winning the World Cup.  I remember when England won the Rugby World Cup - yes it was a great piss up - but it didn't impact upon my life.

I am saying, from personal opinion, that I have never met anybody who can be equally passionate about two teams - be that the same sport or different sport.  Everybody will always have a preference of one or the other.

That's just my opinion, and I'm fairly happy with my current, uncomplicated, dedication to one football club.

We'll now you've met someone who's equally passionate about two teams. And I usually cry when I hear YNWA coming out of my TV set, if that's not passion I don't know what is.

I also have no problem with you supporting one club your whole life, but the minute you tell me I'm less of a supporter than you, or anyone, I go irate.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #59: May 21, 2009 06:55:54 pm
      If Everton play Manure ..who would you support?

I'd want them BOTH to lose ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #60: May 21, 2009 06:57:28 pm
      Support two teams?

Damn right it is.

I do it every week.................... any team playing the Mankers !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #61: May 21, 2009 07:06:42 pm
      I also have no problem with you supporting one club your whole life, but the minute you tell me I'm less of a supporter than you, or anyone, I go irate.

Who's that in your signature?
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #62: May 21, 2009 07:20:16 pm
      Who's that in your signature?

EJ Henderson. Talk about hitting like a brick sh*t-house and I've never seen a human being so willing to hurl their body at someone.

Here's a taste for you.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ6hOvVHS5s&feature=related#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLM_0yf9JUU#
      That last video is very low quality but I've seen lions with lamer pounces than that.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,524 posts | 2874 
      Reply #63: May 21, 2009 07:32:14 pm
      I'd say you can't support two teams.

You can have a soft spot for a team, but you will never love them completely and if you do your love for your first club will surely disappear.

I am always Liverpool first and foremost. My dad was a huge supporter (and still is) and I kind of just followed in his footsteps.

Nowadays, I live in Sheffield. And I have a soft spot for Sheffield United. I go to 5-7 games a season and I went to the play-off second leg. I don't feel passionately about them winning any game, it's just having a group of mates who are Blades fans means in a way you'd like your mates to be buzzing the next time you meet them and if that means the Blades win then so be it.

If they got promoted then I'd want them to survive and nick points off the Mancs but I'd hope we thrash them 12-0 because my love for Liverpool will come out top no matter what.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #64: May 21, 2009 08:52:00 pm
      I will say something that has always interested me...

Ive always been able to support both Liverpool and my local non-league side, yet when it comes to England I couldnt give two shits because I hate everyone who plays from the scum teams.

Still, I also support teams from other sports....Detroit Red Wings, Jenson Button...meh. Maybe Im just weird.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #65: May 21, 2009 08:58:14 pm
      That would be excellent for me, to see lfc playing in Malta.
      I have four teams which I support:
      1st. Liverpool fc
      2nd. Valletta fc

3rd. Liverpool Reserves
      4th. Liverpool Youths

My opinion is that you support a small club it isn't a problem but if you have two big club its annoying for me.

I'd like to see that match. Same for Silema as well. I have an Uncle who lives in Malta and he'd be thrilled.

We've had this sort of thing in the 'teams you keep an eye out for' thread in the General Football board, and I mentioned that I keep my eye on Celtic. This is definitely a Scouse and Irish thing as they're close to our hearts for a number of reasons.

But when it comes down to it, it's Liverpool all the way. I could barely name a starting line up for Celtic. You get the odd shirt too, but that's mostly my Uncle always buying me them and they're decent spares for playing 5 a side. :D

As JD mentioned, it's difficult for us to comprehend what it would be like deciding who to support, when we live in Liverpool. Although, you could technically call me a glory hunting tw*t as I live two blocks away from Goodison on County Road. :D Ah well.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #66: May 21, 2009 11:04:38 pm
      I must admit I find it difficult to understand this "if they're not in the same league" notion. So are you saying that as soon as the two clubs you "support" are in the same division you'll stop supporting one of them?

Doesn't make sense whatsoever to me.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #67: May 21, 2009 11:19:45 pm
      I am a Liverpool fan thru n thru....  my dad was a toxteth lad who was brought as a liverpool fan n it has been passed on around the fam passionately but my hometown is Preston. I have supported Liverpool from day one.... On a school trip I went to watch Preston once at home V Burnely (derby) but the fans hurled racist chanting at burnley fans and some were pointing at me while singing it, wasnt impressed.... had a hate for them but as time have gone on, I would like to see them do well but I only support one club... lfc
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #68: May 22, 2009 12:49:21 am
      Being north of the border, when I was younger it was the done thing having an English team in addition to a Scottish team. During the 80's, I began supporting Heart of Midlothian(6yo), not the most successful team ever but I've never felt the need to change. I also developed a liking for Liverpool, I've always put this down to Dalgleish, Souness, Nicol, Hansen etc but I'm not so sure.

I remember being given a Liverpool top with gold badge, I think it may have been an umbro shirt but can't be certain, the collar may have been gold too? This was in the 80s so I thought it was old! I've supported Liverpool for over 20 years and remember watching the '86 Final, '88 Final and 1989. The memorial this year really was moving. I hate when other people (different forum) blame LFC fans and also bring their hatred for LFC into their posts, this also regards Heysel. I feel crap that this person consistently posts his drivel upon a Hearts forum even though he is usually shot down although the Chelski/Manure fans agree with him etc. Anyway, he's a Leeds fan.....

Apologies for the waffle...

Next year....

Quick Reply