Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Foundations

Read 1673 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Foundations
      Jun 10, 2009 01:56:23 pm
      Lots has been said recently around the ownership saga and turmoil surrounding the club's debts, and I feel that the uncertainty off the field ironically mirrors an ever-growing strength on it.

Rafa has reportedly turned down offers for Alonso and Mascherano totalling in excess of £40 million. For most clubs it would be difficult to refuse such huge offers, never mind one like ours in which much has been said about our necessity to "sell to buy". It is firstly very reassuring to see that we are not yet at the point of needing to sell players to fill our rapidly emptying coffers, but what's more encouraging still is the devotion Rafa is putting into Liverpool FC.

Over the past years Benitez has had to sell on a lot of players in order to buy better and better ones (more suited to our playing style if you prefer), and now we can see that those decisions weren't made haphazardly. The plans are being followed, and a team is being created of generous and hard-working individuals. Once Rafa has the right man, it can be seen that he wants to hold onto him at all costs, and the club as a whole can only benefit from it.

We are not looking at a side of famous names rapidly thrown together onto the pitch, but top quality players who have grown to know one another well over the past couple of seasons and will only continue to improve the longer they stay together. This point can be further confirmed through the signing of contract extensions, or improved contracts, to our key players. Players who either do not fit into this team spirit or are not to the required standard of competing at the highest level are rapidly shipped out.

Once more, I wanted highlight why I think Rafa Benitez is the right man for Liverpool. Through his genuine investment in the team and in the players, as well as his determination to build a side with the right mindset to challenge on all fronts. The foundations are there.
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2009 06:42:10 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Bloody typos! »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Foundations
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2009 01:59:17 pm
      Great post that mirrors my thoughts entirely.

It's always fantastic to read postitive takes, and amongst a sh*t load of negativity, I think that's very important right now.

Cheers for that ayrton, made me feel really good inside.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2009 02:08:16 pm
      My mother always said, if you haven't got anything good to say, don't say anything at all. :D

Seriously though, the post came from initially the positive words Rafa said recently about how he was willing to scrap for the title next season (his "we will fight them on the beaches" speech ;)), and his refusal to sell our key players at any price.

How is it possible to not see the future as bright with a man like that in charge?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2009 02:11:37 pm
      Exactly.

Unfortunately there's a lot of dismissive fans around that simply look at the amount of silverware we've won in recent years and see that as an automatic reason for Rafa being a bad manager.

Fortunately the majority of fans realise this man is the man who is in the works of creating something extremely special. The trophies will come soon, Rafa is exactly the type of person who should be in charge of our club. What I've been really impressed with this year is the fact he's taken no sh*t off anybody - including Fergie.

I really believe in Rafael Benitez and I believe he is going to bring Liverpool Football Club many a success.
      FP928
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 10, 2009 03:24:22 pm
      Wonderful post, ayrton.

I especially agree with this statement : "We are not looking at a side of famous names rapidly thrown together onto the pitch, but top quality players who have grown to know one another well over the past couple of seasons and will only continue to improve the longer they stay together"
      It sickens me to see clubs like Real throw money around for players with big names, whether they fit their system or not.

The latest comments from our players and managers have been a breath of fresh air after all the negative reports surrounding the club. Every cloud has a silver lining, and it's posts like this one that remind us all of that, so thank you for making us feel a little better. :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #5: Jun 10, 2009 03:29:42 pm
      Entirely agree Ayrton.

I must admit hearing this morning that Rafa was adamant that Mascherano was going nowhere has thrown down a real marker to the likes of Barca, Madrid and even City that they can't come to Liverpool to offer silly prices to prize our best players away.

I'd imagine part of Rafa's new deal was such that players couldn't be sold without his approval, and that footballing transfer policy rests with Benitez.  If we skip back 12 months who knows what would have happened if that bid had come in for Masch?  Would Parry, Hicks and Gillette have turned it down?

The board can give him figures but at the end of the day it is up to Rafa to use those amounts to sell and buy.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Benitez seems exceptionally single-minded that he will not be deflected away from his cause and the spine of our team is great I agree.  Let's face it - even with a fully fit Torres last season we may have won the league so I don't think we need enormous changes here and there. 
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #6: Jun 10, 2009 03:31:28 pm
      I really believe in Rafael Benitez and I believe he is going to bring Liverpool Football Club many a success.

My thoughts exactly.

He's worked extremely hard to get us to where we are and whilst some of the players that have come in haven't set the world on fire he's nevertheless constructed an excellent side capable of winning trophies and it's heartening to see him standing up to the big clubs and telling them to not even think about trying to make off with our players.

With a spine that consists of Reina, Carra, Xabi, Masch, Stevie and Nando realistically we only need a couple of excellent players then we'll be ready for anything.

Genuine success doesn't come instantly, it takes hard work and perseverance and Rafa's work is well on the way to bearing fruit as it were.

The man is most certainly up there with Shankly, Paisley and Dalglish if not silverware-wise but certainly through his passion and devotion to this football club.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #7: Jun 10, 2009 03:36:37 pm
      Must admit that of late i read all the press stories about us and how financially poor we are ,it's good to reflect that with manager's like Rafa and players pledging allegiance to the club we can overcome or at least ease our money issues ,we won't buy our titles like some clubs but through loyalty and achievement ..good post ayrton
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #8: Jun 10, 2009 03:40:27 pm
      You could just imagine Parry saying exactly how much are you prepared to pay. People now know if Rafa say's a player isnt going he isnt going and that has to be good news.I think Shanks went 5 or 6 years without a trophy so Rafa is doing ok on that count. He has managed to upset Ferguson and refuse to be bowed despite the media onslaught against him. He has all the makings of a good scouser.We are close to something special it will be a shame if the actions of our owners and lack of funds deviate us from our goal.Your spot on Rafa is our man.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #9: Jun 10, 2009 04:47:21 pm
      I'd imagine part of Rafa's new deal was such that players couldn't be sold without his approval, and that footballing transfer policy rests with Benitez.  If we skip back 12 months who knows what would have happened if that bid had come in for Masch?  Would Parry, Hicks and Gillette have turned it down?

The board can give him figures but at the end of the day it is up to Rafa to use those amounts to sell and buy.

Makes perfect sense to me.

To be honest I'd thought of that, but as it's speculation on our part I didn't include it in my first post.

However, the rapidness of his refusal of both offers without a peep from the owners lends a bit of credibility to it.

Certainly I imagine from the length of time it took him to agree to his new contract, there must be some hard-fought clauses in there.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #10: Jun 10, 2009 04:48:45 pm
      Well said Ayr - only just gave you a + for making me p*ss myself laughing so you can't have one for that unfortunately! :)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #11: Jun 10, 2009 04:49:51 pm
      ^^^^

I'll bump the topic tomorrow morning then! :D

;)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #12: Jun 10, 2009 04:59:06 pm
      Certainly I imagine from the length of time it took him to agree to his new contract, there must be some hard-fought clauses in there.
      I'm sure there were ayrton, and I for one am glad that he stuck out for total control.Without Benitez this club would be in a dreadful state by now, however as you so correctly outlined in your post, the foundations are there for our next dynasty.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Jun 10, 2009 06:26:38 pm
      With Rafa coming out and saying ''Mascherano is not for sale at any price'', I now hope that's the end of the matter, Barcelona have been told they haven't enough money to buy him.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Jun 10, 2009 06:54:31 pm
      All the work Rafa has done over the years would or could go to waste, one sale now would show us to be a selling club and thank god Rafa will not let that happen. He's laid the foundations for years to come, the spine is strong right from Pepe to Nando, Rafa knows this team are almost there in terms of filling in the last few pieces we need to win the title.

Rafa came out to say Barcelona can bid 40 or 50 mill he is still not for sale. Javier said he was happy it LFC one week ago, so either is agent is trying to line his own pocket by pushing for a move or Barcelona are being mischievous....
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Jun 10, 2009 07:20:10 pm
      Roar!!!

It's posts like that Ayrton, that keep your head held up through the vast wilderness of out of season football.

And it's worth mentioning that creating solid foundations is no easy task for anybody. Especially in today's circus of football. It takes a man of pure grit and determination, enthusiasm and desire.....and almost annoying yet usually justified stubbornness to keep digging and building.

And all these ingredients result with the will to succeed. But most important of all, it rubs off on the players themselves. I believe we've really began to see that in our team. And it blossomed near the end of last season.

Come on you reds!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #16: Jun 10, 2009 07:41:31 pm
      Been very busy lately so havn,t had much time to post but Ayrton ,that is one of the best i have read in a long time ,what with all the negativety going around about us some people tend to lose sight of the bigger picture ,to use one of Rafa,s favourite lines, we must stay focussed and see what happens ,at least our man has his finger on the pulse at all times .
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Jun 10, 2009 07:50:14 pm
      Great post Ayrton + for you.......It's now that we have to build the foundations again for the new season ahead, in my honest opinion, we don't need to do very much, we were exceptionally close last season, so just a few tweaks here and there should do the trick.

Oh and a certain David Silva in the squad would be the topping on Rafa's ice cream.

We are building the Rafalution  :)

Quick Reply