Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Impressive Start to 6 Nations

Read 1634 times
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 234 posts |
      Impressive Start to 6 Nations
      Feb 03, 2007 08:28:28 pm
      from AOL Sport:
      Wilkinson leads England revival

He's back: Jonny Wilkinson takes on the Scottish defence
      - Search: Jonny Wilkinson
      - Six Nations video

England fly-half Johnny Wilkinson made a fairytale comeback with a record Calcutta Cup points haul to get the new era under coach Brian Ashton off to a flying start.

Wilkinson, who was recalled after playing just 45 minutes of rugby in the last 12 weeks, rolled back the years with a try and seven goals to help England to a 42-20 win over a disappointing Scotland in the RBS 6 Nations at Twickenham.

The Newcastle fly-half missed just two kicks at goal and his 27-point contribution eclipsed the previous record set by his mentor Rob Andrew, the RFU Director of Elite Rugby, set in 1995.

It was like the 2003 World Cup final all over again with Wilkinson putting his trusty boot to brilliant use and winger Jason Robinson marking his return with a couple of well taken tries.

Flanker Magnus Lund scored his first try, as England, under new captain Phil Vickery, put their miserable autumn record to bed.

Early on Scotland threatened to repeat last year's shock victory when lock Simon Taylor grabbed an opportunist first half try, but they had to wait until the 77th minute for their second through replacement Rob Dewey.

Didn't our boys do well, and nice to see Jonny getting back to form - that can only be a good thing! lets hope they can stand up to the sterner test that the in form Ireland & France will present them with.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: Impressive Start to 6 Nations
      Reply #1: Feb 04, 2007 03:27:08 pm
      Yep - can you imagine any of our players having 14 stitches in their gob and then carrying on.

Funny how crap they've been since winning the World Cup - really enjoyed that tournament actually.  I remember the final - was a good piss up - much more excitement than the national football team have ever given me.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #2: Feb 04, 2007 09:23:41 pm
      much more excitement than the national football team have ever given me.
      Most things do mate!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: Feb 05, 2007 09:15:50 pm
      Never been to a Rugby International.

Been a couple of times to watch St Helens (its like stepping back in time visiting that ground - although still £15 mind!) and watched a Rugby Union game at Newcastle Falcons - which was a good laugh actually - got bladdered on the Tetleys.

Although I personally could never get as attached to another sport as I do watching the reds, there is just something about the atmosphere - at local rugby grounds you can really get close to the likes of Jonny Wilkinson et al and almost touch them.  Obviously, that's isn't something I WOULD actually do (before the rumours start).

I plan to do the Open Golf thing this year.  Reckon that would be a good day out.
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 234 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 06, 2007 01:22:58 pm
      Never been to a Rugby International.

Been a couple of times to watch St Helens (its like stepping back in time visiting that ground - although still £15 mind!) and watched a Rugby Union game at Newcastle Falcons - which was a good laugh actually - got bladdered on the Tetleys.

Although I personally could never get as attached to another sport as I do watching the reds, there is just something about the atmosphere - at local rugby grounds you can really get close to the likes of Jonny Wilkinson et al and almost touch them.  Obviously, that's isn't something I WOULD actually do (before the rumours start).

I plan to do the Open Golf thing this year.  Reckon that would be a good day out.

i've been to a few, possibly the best atmosphere i've encountered was at the old Cardiff Arms Park for a Wales v England game. Murryfield is a fantastic stadium too.

Quick Reply