Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Newcastle United

Read 27489 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8581 
      Re: Newcastle United
      Reply #138: Nov 13, 2011 04:55:28 pm
      So Newcastle will be playing at the ASDA then?

Ashley Sports Direct Arena!!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #139: Sep 27, 2012 03:23:27 pm
      Alan Pardew and his backroom team sign new 8 year contracts:o
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8581 
      Reply #140: Sep 28, 2012 02:23:23 am
      Alan Pardew and his backroom team sign new 8 year contracts:o

That'll be some pay off should they ever get sacked!!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #141: Sep 28, 2012 02:41:19 pm

Yes, it will be. Pardew is laughing now with that new contract.
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #142: Sep 28, 2012 05:28:27 pm
      Tell you what for all Ashley's wrong doings it appears he's seen what relegation can do for the club, gigantic parachute payment and then the bonus for winning the Championship tied in with the 60+ million you get for going up.

Got a very talented squad on their hands, likes of Cabaye, Tiote, Krul, Ba, Ben Arfa, Cisse would be cracking buys for any of the top clubs that's for sure, that tied in with the apparent stability if having a gaffer for 8 years (a signal of intent suggesting that anyway) they could really have a base to really build on to be challenging for a champions league place in a few years!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #143: Sep 28, 2012 05:53:11 pm
      8 year contracts?! That's going to cost them a bomb to sack him when they hit the slump that they are bound to sooner or later.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #144: Sep 28, 2012 06:09:01 pm
      8 year contracts?! That's going to cost them a bomb to sack him when they hit the slump that they are bound to sooner or later.

It will indeed.

I would bet every penny I had that Pardew won't even see out half of this contract before getting fired.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #145: Sep 29, 2012 10:24:41 am

You can guarantee Ashley has a clause in their that sets the pay out figure far below the terms of the contract.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #146: Oct 06, 2012 11:07:22 pm
      Wonga poised for Newcastle sponsorship deal
      Wonga, the payday lender, is in detailed talks to become the new sponsor of the Premier League football club, Newcastle United.

By James Quinn, Deputy Sunday Business Editor 9:30PM BST 06 Oct 2012

The consumer finance company, which has faced criticism for its high interest rates, is poised to replace Virgin Money from the start of the 2013/14 season.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Wonga will sponsor both the shirts and the club's stadium in a deal believed to be worth £8m a year.

Although Virgin Money, whose contract was terminated last week, is only the shirt sponsor, it is known the club's owner, Mike Ashley, has been looking to sign a joint shirt and stadium sponsor.

This weekend the deal had not yet been finalised, but it is understood that it should be signed within a fortnight.

It is expected the deal will begin from the start of the 2013 season, and last for an initial three years.

The stadium, named the Sports Direct Arena after Mr Ashley's sportswear retailer, will be renamed Wonga.

It is not the first time the lender has been involved in football. Wonga is shirt sponsor for Championship side Blackpool, in a deal which currently runs until the end of the 2012/2013 season.

Earlier this year the company's deal with the Football League, in which it advertised on club websites, ended just before fans were to vote on a call for the adverts to be removed from the sites amid concerns about the level of interest charged on its loans.

News of the impending Newcastle sponsorship comes as Wonga filed detailed accounts for the year ended December 2011 at Companies House.

The numbers – providing a greater insight than the headline figures released last month – show that the company's cash balances were just shy of £135m at the end of December 2011. The overall cash position rose by £41m in the year, despite also paying off debts of £9.5m, meaning it is now debt-free.

A Wonga spokesman did not comment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9591995/Wonga-poised-for-Newcastle-sponsorship-deal.html

£8M a year isn't a lot for shirt and stadium sponsorship combined.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #147: Oct 06, 2012 11:23:38 pm
      Wonga poised for Newcastle sponsorship deal
      Wonga, the payday lender, is in detailed talks to become the new sponsor of the Premier League football club, Newcastle United.

By James Quinn, Deputy Sunday Business Editor 9:30PM BST 06 Oct 2012

The consumer finance company, which has faced criticism for its high interest rates, is poised to replace Virgin Money from the start of the 2013/14 season.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Wonga will sponsor both the shirts and the club's stadium in a deal believed to be worth £8m a year.

Although Virgin Money, whose contract was terminated last week, is only the shirt sponsor, it is known the club's owner, Mike Ashley, has been looking to sign a joint shirt and stadium sponsor.

This weekend the deal had not yet been finalised, but it is understood that it should be signed within a fortnight.

It is expected the deal will begin from the start of the 2013 season, and last for an initial three years.

The stadium, named the Sports Direct Arena after Mr Ashley's sportswear retailer, will be renamed Wonga.

It is not the first time the lender has been involved in football. Wonga is shirt sponsor for Championship side Blackpool, in a deal which currently runs until the end of the 2012/2013 season.

Earlier this year the company's deal with the Football League, in which it advertised on club websites, ended just before fans were to vote on a call for the adverts to be removed from the sites amid concerns about the level of interest charged on its loans.

News of the impending Newcastle sponsorship comes as Wonga filed detailed accounts for the year ended December 2011 at Companies House.

The numbers – providing a greater insight than the headline figures released last month – show that the company's cash balances were just shy of £135m at the end of December 2011. The overall cash position rose by £41m in the year, despite also paying off debts of £9.5m, meaning it is now debt-free.

A Wonga spokesman did not comment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9591995/Wonga-poised-for-Newcastle-sponsorship-deal.html

£8M a year isn't a lot for shirt and stadium sponsorship combined.
      Maybe it is a true indication of the value of Newcastle.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #148: Oct 07, 2012 12:21:00 am
      We're away to Newcastle at Wonga, when?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #149: Oct 07, 2012 12:42:04 am
      Maybe it is a true indication of the value of Newcastle.

Yes, I guess you are right. My initial thoughts were that it seemed low for a club like Newcastle, but they are not the global giant that LFC is.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8581 
      Reply #150: Oct 11, 2012 03:10:03 pm
      We're away to Newcastle at Wonga, when?

Haven't they said they want the Stadium to be called St James' Park once more and I'm sure that's nothing to do with the slagging Wonga have had recently in the North East.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #151: Oct 11, 2012 03:14:25 pm
      Have 4 of thier Muslim players boycotted wearing the shirt?

Cisse,Ba,Ben Arfa & Tiote.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #152: Oct 11, 2012 03:15:56 pm
      Newcastle united tops with the new logo available now for £39.99 - or 36 monthly payments of £258.44

Cheque tiote, loanas Gutierrez, Gabriel oberdraft, Alan paydue ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #153: Oct 11, 2012 03:17:14 pm
      Newcastle united tops with the new logo available now for £39.99 - or 36 monthly payments of £258.44

:D
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #154: Oct 11, 2012 03:22:47 pm
      Have 4 of thier Muslim players boycotted wearing the shirt?

Cisse,Ba,Ben Arfa & Tiote.

I don't think so, reading between the lines some people have suggested they should but that seems more to be pressure from those outside of football.

I don't know whether, in terms of Islam, they'd have to boycott the shirts or they simply could. It seems to me they probably have a choice and those interviewed/briefing to the media just suggesting the could boycott.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #155: Oct 11, 2012 03:26:57 pm

:laugh:

Your taxi is waiting ! We will post you your coat
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #156: Jun 18, 2013 01:38:01 pm
      This is the club that just keeps on giving.

The man who gave us 52 swear words in a Press Conference (aimed at some pr**k of a journalist):

Joe Kinnear's explosive rant at the Daily Mirror

Is back!

On Sunday, 24 hours before Newcastle were to make any announcement Joe Kinnear comes out and says this off his own back:

Joe Kinnear: Newcastle ex-boss confirms director of football role
      Former Newcastle United manager Joe Kinnear has confirmed that he has been appointed as the Magpies' new director of football.

The 66-year-old, who managed the club during the 2008-2009 season, said he would be taking on the role of recruiting players.

"The deal is absolutely done," Kinnear told Sky Sports News.

"I signed the deal with owner Mike Ashley on Sunday. I intend to meet [manager] Alan Pardew this week."

Newcastle, who finished fifth from bottom last campaign, have yet to announce Kinnear's appointment.

The former Wimbledon manager said he wanted to improve the team, adding he would not interfere with selection or tactics.

"I'm a very good judge of player and a good tactician," he added.

"Anything to do with football, I've been involved in. I intend to make Newcastle far better than they are now.

"I see a good player and know a good player. I have no other agenda. If I see players at the club right now and don't think they are good enough I intend to move them on."

Kinnear insisted "there will be no issues" between him and Pardew.

"I'm not picking the team," he added. "I'm there solely to make sure he gets the best possible team on the pitch."

The ex-Tottenham player's first stint at club lasted just over four months.

Kinnear was named as interim manager in September 2008 following Kevin Keegan's resignation and was expected to be in charge for just one month, before the club decided he would remain at the helm until the end of the season.

But his time in the north east of England was brought to an abrupt halt when he was taken ill with heart problems in February 2009.

Assistants Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood took over, before former Newcastle striker Alan Shearer was placed in charge of the team, who were eventually relegated to the Championship that season.

"We were third from bottom when I took over and we were 12th when I had my heart attack," added Kinnear.

"From there we got relegated. People were trying to implicate me when the club went down. That was a load of rubbish. I've never been a manager of a club that's been relegated [Luton were relegated while he was in charge in 2001]."

Kinnear added that he also planned to meet Newcastle's chief scout Graham Carr regarding playing personnel at the club.

So as you can imagine the Monday has everybody questioning this crazy decision in the news whilst all the Geordies are making that 52 swear word presser sound like a nursery rhyme.

What does he do then? Rings up Talksport last night and gives us some more.

Sounds pissed, gets names wrong, slags the fans, love it:

Newcastle United: Joe Kinnear 'more intelligent' than critics

Joe Kinnear says he has "more intelligence" than the critics who have questioned his expected appointment as Newcastle's new director of football.

The Magpies are yet to confirm the move, but Kinnear, 66, who managed Newcastle during the 2008-09 season, says he has signed a deal.

Kinnear's spell as Newcastle boss was ended by a heart attack and some fans and media have criticised any return.

But he told talkSPORT:  "I've certainly got more intelligence than them."

•Refused to accept criticism of his credentials, saying he could "open the door to any manager in the world".
      •Said he wasn't a threat to manager Alan Pardew.
      •Said he had won three manager of the year awards, when he actually won one at Wimbledon in 1994.
      •Incorrectly said he had signed goalkeeper Tim Krul, who was brought to the club by Graeme Souness in 2005 .
      •Mispronounced several players' names, including calling Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias "Lambazi", Yohan Cabaye "Yohan Cabab" and Shola Ameobi "Shola Amamobi".

At the end of the interview Kinnear was asked if he wanted to "say anything personally to the Newcastle fans who perhaps don't back this decision". He replied: "To all the fans who don't agree with this decision, shall I bring Llambias back in? What do you want? What do they want?

"I heard a silly comment of 'what can I attract?'. I can open the door to any manager in the world, anyone, that's the difference. I've spent my whole life talking to Alex Ferguson, week in, week out.

"I can pick the phone up at any time of the day and speak to [Arsenal manager] Arsene Wenger, any manager in the league. In all the divisions.

"I don't know what angle they've [critics] got, if they want to sit down and argue with me. Some are talking out of their backsides, a load of tosh. I'm not accepting it, as simple as that. I have certainly got more intelligence than them, that's for sure."

Kinnear revealed his own expected appointment in an interview with Sky Sports News on Sunday, but the club have yet to comment. The Press Association says Newcastle will announce Kinnear as director of football later on Tuesday.

His first stint at Newcastle lasted just over four months and was marked by a fractious relationship with journalists. Some have criticised his return. Mark Jensen, editor of fanzine The Mag  , said he was "amazed and astounded" that the former Wimbledon boss was coming back to the club.

But Kinnear said he would never forget the support of fans after his heart attack in 2009.

The former Tottenham player said: "I got over 10,000 letters when I had my heart attack, I felt very proud of that and thought I did an excellent job.

"A lot of Geordies are influenced by the media set, because I stood up to 100 journalists that night. It was the same night we beat Tottenham 2-1. The journalists always had it in ... many of the Geordie fans were sucked in."

Joe Kinnear talkSPORT Interview | Yohan Kebab | Newcastle United

And obviously some every Newcastle supporter is pissed off.

He then does lunch with Pardew today and then the club confirm the 3 year deal and state that Pardew and Carr will both report to Joe.

Seriously, what the F**k?

Is he Mike Ashley's mate? Can't help but think Ashley wants Pardew to jump ship so he doesn't have to pay the remaining 16 years of his contract.

Over the last couple of years the only good thing Newcastle have done is bought well.

Very, very odd.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #157: Jun 18, 2013 01:47:08 pm
      Kinnear absolutely butchered some of those names :laugh:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #158: Jun 18, 2013 01:55:04 pm
      Kinnear absolutely butchered some of those names :laugh:

Great isn't it?

Samuel Ameobi ‏@Sammy_Ameobi  14h 
      Wow at least get my name right

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8581 
      Reply #159: Jun 18, 2013 04:34:03 pm

He'll be back in A&E clutching his left arm before Christmas.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #160: Jun 18, 2013 04:35:31 pm
      Watch Newcastle win the league now haha

Quick Reply