Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

50 Years Ago This Year

Read 1596 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      50 Years Ago This Year
      May 25, 2009 10:45:37 pm
      Liverpool Football Club welcomed the late, great Bill Shankly to their staff as manager.

Although he didn't arrive until December of 59, it's still 50 years on since the man arrived. He did make the people happy and he did build us into a bastion of invincibility. His name will always be remembered by Liverpool fans and football fans throughout the world. We'll forever be thankful for what Shanks did for this club. His legacy continues at Anfield.

Thank you Shanks.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Re: 50 Years Ago This Year
      Reply #1: May 25, 2009 10:48:09 pm
      Shouldn't we celebrate this in December then???
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: May 26, 2009 01:08:52 am
      Shouldn't we celebrate this in December then???

Yes and no.  We can acknowledge that it's 50 years this year, and pay our tributes if we like, but I'm sure this thread will be found with hundreds of replies come December.

Cheers Shanks.  Who knows what the club would of been like, if it wasn't for your winning mentality.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: May 26, 2009 09:44:42 am
      Yes and no.  We can acknowledge that it's 50 years this year, and pay our tributes if we like, but I'm sure this thread will be found with hundreds of replies come December.

Cheers Shanks.  Who knows what the club would of been like, if it wasn't for your winning mentality.
      I do not know what the club would of been like without our great Bill Shankly but I do know what it was like before he arrived and it was not very nice in our second division days.Shanks certainly made the difference and 2 players who helped him to get the club  back to where it belonged in my opinion were StJohn and big Rowdy Yeats.We always got good crowds even in the 2nd division but Shanks lit the fuse and set the KOP alight and for that we are forever grateful.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #4: May 26, 2009 11:10:26 am
      Definetly a person to be celebrated and not just for a day. Cheers to the greatest manager ever where would we be with out him
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: May 26, 2009 12:22:49 pm
      I just think that other things could be put in this thread that happened 50 years ago, players births deaths etc.  Once we approach December i think it would be more appropriate to have a thread like this which is specific to Shanks, such as '50th Anniversary of Shankly and LFC' rather than '50 Years Ago This Year, which i think is to broad a title to recognise this momentous moment in our history.

As you said Court, no doubt everyone on the forum will want to leave their thoughts and thanks.

No disrespect intended, just a thought.

Quick Reply