Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

70 Years Ago This Year

Read 1234 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      70 Years Ago This Year
      May 25, 2009 10:50:48 pm
      Bob Paisley signed a professional contract at Liverpool, although didn't make his debut until 1946 thanks to a little thing called World War II.

Bob will always be loved by every Liverpool fan. Some on here would have been lucky enough to see him play, some would have seen him be a trainer, assistant manager and then finally manager. Some, like myself, only have the stories of him to go on. But however you've heard of Bob Paisley love for him and from him with this club is evident.

Thank you for what you brought to this club Sir Bob.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: 70 Years Ago This Year
      Reply #1: May 25, 2009 11:09:01 pm
      Well said. A true great and humble man. Up at the very top of the legends list with Shanks for being the most successful manager EVER!
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: May 26, 2009 08:24:38 am
      Never saw him play or in fact manage, but it's safe to say that he and Shankly formed LFC to the huge club we are today.

Thank you, Sir Bob.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #3: May 26, 2009 08:30:19 am
      Being born in '70 I don't really remember Shanks as manager.  Sir Bob was the one I grew up adoring.

A true legend and gentleman.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #4: May 26, 2009 08:34:50 am
      Bob and Shanks were the ones who laid the foundations for this club. If it wasn't for them, then I wouldn't be able to imagine where would we be today. And its probably safe to say that its their work, which attracted many fans towards Liverpool and also this supporting tradition is probably passed on from one generation to another, for example my dad to me.

It was the hard work and the hard times they went through that made the club what is it today. The best club in the world with the most passionate fans. :)

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: May 26, 2009 08:46:27 am
      A true gentleman with great humility.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: May 26, 2009 09:32:09 am
      dls I was fortunate enough to see Bob Paisley play for the REDS many times and always liked his style.I have mentioned on another thread of Bob scoring against Everton in the 1950 seminal of the F.A.Cup only to get dropped for the final against Arsenal.Many people at the time myself included felt that we lost the final because we had no BOB Paisley,if we only had subs in those days things might of turned out so different.Bill Shankly knew what he was doing when he kept Bob on as trainer,also I do not recall hearing about any club making an approach for Bob to be their manager.Maybe the clubs realised they would be wasting their time trying to entice Bob from Anfield.One thing is for sure Bob Paisley will be a big part of L.F.C. history long after most of us have gone.

Quick Reply