Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Ryan Babel (Various)

Read 20059 times
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Re: Ryan Babel (Various)
      Reply #138: Jul 03, 2009 03:14:58 pm
      Well I don't remember saying Babel is incapable of improving. I just don't think he has as much potential as people like to believe. There's far too much room for improvement for him to become good enough. His bad skills outdo his good ones by a long, long way.

I've never said Babel should be a finished product but he should be a whole lot closer to being finished that what he currently is. Right now he'd be lucky to make our bench, for somebody with all this, so called, potential at the age of 22 that isn't good enough. If he was five or six years younger with his current skills we'd all be drooling over him, but he isn't. He's 22 and although not many players are world class at that age, those who are going to be an extremely good player know how to control a ball at the age of 22. They know how to go past a player rather than just run into them at 22.

Now you could argue that Babel is a big game player, scoring against Arsenal, Chelsea and United could prove this. But as far as I'm concerned every game for Liverpool Football Club is a big game and Babel doesn't perform well enough in about 75% of the games. He does strike me as one of these lads who wants the spotlight on him, constantly moaning when he isn't playing, having his own website, trying to pursue a rap career and his greed with a football. That's why I think he performs in these, so called, "big" games because that's when the global cameras are on show.

He doesn't have potential to become anywhere near good enough for this club on a regular basis.

When he first came to Arsenal. Babel has been here two years and gone backwards - Henry moved forwards.

But not only is comparing Babel to Henry unfair on Ryan as Henry is possibly the greatest inport to the Premiership but it's also disrespectful to the former Arsenal legend. Henry was a genius with a football, so to even compare Babel to him is complete disrespect.

I can wholeheartedly agree with that post. Like I said I'm a very literal person, I just wanted to hammer home the fact that potential is a very loose, undefinable, term, and it's in all of us. Whether it's actually achieved or not is what really matters.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #139: Jul 03, 2009 03:41:44 pm
      Could be our secret weapon next season. C mon Ryan lad start achieving the potential you clearly have. YNWA
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #140: Jul 03, 2009 09:02:17 pm

But not only is comparing Babel to Henry unfair on Ryan as Henry is possibly the greatest inport to the Premiership but it's also disrespectful to the former Arsenal legend. Henry was a genius with a football, so to even compare Babel to him is complete disrespect.

As I remember he was a bit ordinary when he first came, playing on the wing, and unlike Torres took a few seasons before he began to show his class.  That's what potential is all about.

I don't think it is disrespectful to compare Babel with Henry or unfair on Babel. I would hope all footballers strive for greatness and Ryan should be aiming to be the best.  I agree Henry became a great player and I hope Babel will follow suit.  I'm not writing him off yet and I think Rafa must see something or he would have got shut by now.

As I have already said if Rafa thinks he is worth the effort then that's fine by me.
      chardy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #141: Aug 06, 2009 08:18:22 pm
      i think hes going to come up trumps next season!! especially now riera has had an injury scare, and not to mention he was brilliant in oslo, however i would like to point out that he was playing on the right hand side!! and i thought he was a different player altogether, i personally think hes a right sided player or a striker, not a left winger!!
      KingKop1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #142: Aug 06, 2009 08:19:46 pm
      Yes i agree, Babel will be brilliant next year. He looked class against Lyn
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #143: Aug 06, 2009 08:20:27 pm
      Looks like he will be staying
      I STAN BULL
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -2 
      Reply #144: Aug 06, 2009 08:50:33 pm
      Will come good i have to agree. When we bought him he was playing as a striker i think, just like duracell dirk
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #145: Aug 07, 2009 02:56:48 am
      Looks like he will be with the club for another season.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #146: Aug 07, 2009 03:24:49 am
      Well, this thread is getting interesting. Ryan Babel has bags of potential, and I will always stand by that. When he first came he played really well, not at his best, and the reason I say that is, we know he can do a lot better. As stated earlier, everyone has potential inside themselves, we just have to find the key to unlock and release it.

The key to Babels potential is in his mind, his confidence levels. When he plays a game and then gets rested for the next, he really takes it to heart. He seems to go into his shell and almost feels sorry for himself. It's like a mental block, he sees it as failure, instead of seeing it for what it really is. Don't worry, I'm not about to go into Glenn Hoddle mode and suggest we get Eileen Drewery in!  ;D

I have a lot of belief in Ryan Babel, just which he had the same belief in himself. He needs to find that belief inside and release it, and if he does, the rest of the Prem had better f**king watch out!

Please click on pic to enlarge  :o

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #147: Aug 07, 2009 06:06:04 am
      Looked really good and enthusiastic against Lynn. Some nice moves and good speed. Again his touch was average though
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #148: Aug 07, 2009 08:30:42 am
      Shouldnt all this go in the player thread?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #149: Aug 07, 2009 09:47:19 am
      Shouldnt all this go in the player thread?

What an excellent point, been reading back, there's dozens of posts and his "potential", probably more than about his possible transfer. :D

Keep it on-topic, else I'll send Smiggs round to sort you all out!

titcamara
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #150: Aug 07, 2009 09:09:59 pm
      He reminds me a bit of Owen: not a great first touch. Babel is quick and has a lot of pace but he's no Ronaldo and his skills are pretty average. He is quite predictable when running towards an opponent. If he stays, he needs to impress for the next three months or Benitez will sell him during Christmas.
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #151: Aug 08, 2009 10:59:02 am
      What an excellent point, been reading back, there's dozens of posts and his "potential", probably more than about his possible transfer. :D

Keep it on-topic, else I'll send Smiggs round to sort you all out!

:lmao:

Staying on topic ;) Babel is going nowhere IMO. Else Benitez would not have given him so mauch action in preseason.
      If he wanted to sell, he would have given more pitch time to Benny or Insua on the left, maybe even Ngog; and given Ryan less.
      And he would have wanted to avoid an injury to him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #152: Aug 16, 2009 07:22:55 pm
      Bump.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #153: Aug 16, 2009 07:24:27 pm
      Come on someone save us 7m for him and i would be happy.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #154: Aug 16, 2009 07:30:20 pm
      Taxi for Babel and Voronin,
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #155: Aug 16, 2009 08:42:32 pm
      his value is lessening week by week sell him quick
      steviejoe
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #156: Aug 16, 2009 10:40:58 pm
      F**k off Babel back to Holland!

That is all!!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #157: Aug 16, 2009 10:42:15 pm
      Back to Holland is a bit harsh i think if he is given a chance with an  premier team outside of the top 4 playing as a CF he could become a real jewel.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #158: Aug 16, 2009 10:44:42 pm
      I'd drop Gerrard back into the middle, put Yossi on the left and put Babel in the hole behind Nando against Stoke.

If it's epic fail by half time then switch it about.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #159: Aug 16, 2009 10:48:29 pm
      I would not take that risk personally would much rather Riera on the left and Benny in behind Torres.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #160: Aug 16, 2009 10:50:42 pm
      If Riera is injured then we might have no choice.

Babel's preferred position is either as a striker or just playing off the striker supposedly so give him 45 minutes to prove it.

Quick Reply