Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Rafa shakes up the backroom staff

Read 13267 times
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Rafa shakes up the backroom staff
      May 28, 2009 10:54:18 am
      Ok so we know about Segura coming in and the possibility of King Kenny but there's more too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1189024/Dalglish-set-Anfield-role-Rafa-shakes-coaching-staff.html

Bit disappointed at the lack of quotes but it's early days yet i suppose.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Rafa shakes up the backroom staff
      Reply #1: May 28, 2009 11:15:46 am
      Disappointed at Ablett leaving. Would love to see Gary Mac come back as a coach.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #2: May 28, 2009 11:18:18 am
      Looks like Rafa is really changing things.Anyone thinks that the departure of Rick Parry has led to Rafa bringing in his own people into the club's backroom?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #3: May 28, 2009 11:28:51 am
      Looking at our reserve team final position this season, and the disappointment in the Youth Cup Final - then this is entirely understandable in my opinion.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: May 28, 2009 11:47:35 am
      Looking at our reserve team final position this season, and the disappointment in the Youth Cup Final - then this is entirely understandable in my opinion.

Definately. I think it's a very good quality in a manager when they are prepared to make great changes.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #5: May 28, 2009 06:23:06 pm
      Rafa has a new broom and is having a clean up, he wants the people he knows or has be given advice about, to be in place for next season, I don't know what went wrong with the reserves this season, whatever it was Rafa felt a change was needed and in the end he showed a ruthless streak in changing the parts of this football club he felt needed changing..........
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #6: May 28, 2009 08:54:18 pm

I think the main point would be the lack of players coming through the system which is the whole point of having youth system. Yes winning things are nice but if you are not pulling players from those teams into the first team then your not doing your job, Gary said that all the time his job is to get these kids into the first team and it appears Rafa doesn't believe Gary is doing a good enough job developing these young guys into potential first team players.
      twobe12
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #7: May 28, 2009 10:20:20 pm
      King Kenny would be such an asset to LFC... its pains me to say this but we would do no harm to follow the business plan of Man Utd when they have Sir Bobby Charlton as their Ambassador.
      King Kenny is a well respected figure in the world of football and would be equal to the job Sir Bobby Charlton does for Man Utd.

Ok so we know about Segura coming in and the possibility of King Kenny but there's more too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1189024/Dalglish-set-Anfield-role-Rafa-shakes-coaching-staff.html

Bit disappointed at the lack of quotes but it's early days yet I suppose.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: May 28, 2009 10:53:36 pm
      Rafa has battled for the power and now he's putting his design in place!
      He's nothing if not ruthless, or should that be decisive
      He knows where he is and he equally knows where he wants to be.  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #9: May 28, 2009 11:00:51 pm
      I'm a bit disappointed to see Hughie McAuley leaving. Whenever I've heard or read anything about him from one of the lads who've come through our youth set up they only have good things to say about him.

And I've always liked former players like Hughie, Heighway, Thompson teaching the lads the Liverpool way from a very early age. Teaching them what Liverpool Football Club is about, not only on a playing level but what's expected off the field as well from our players. Giving them the insight into this club. Hopefully that's something Kenny will able to give them that same knowledge.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,852 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #10: May 28, 2009 11:55:23 pm
      Really hope Kenny comes back into the fold to help Rafa with his plans to make Liverpool fc a team to be feared again ,Rafa seems to have the backbone and the will to do it his way and if he doesn't think people ,be it backroom staff or players ,are up to the job then he will get people  or players that he believes are up to the job,gets my vote if it works anyway  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #11: May 29, 2009 11:32:08 am
      Any news guys on where Kenny will fit into the scheme of things? With the contract extensions, and a great season behind us this would give such a boost going into the close season. A person of Kenny's stature can only add to the allure of players wanting to come to Liverpool.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Jun 08, 2009 09:18:17 am
      Hadn't seen this topic until I was looking at Riera's wedding photos on LFC Globe where underneath it I saw this heading:

Benitez dismisses 16 Backroom Staff

http://lfcglobe.com/benitez-dismisses-16-backroom-staff/#more-2317

June 7, 2009 · Discuss

Liverpool are set to face a legal backlash after Rafa Benitez fired sixteen backroom staff.

The club sacked 10 Academy personnel last week and within the past few days, six-other long serving employees have been told to leave.

Liverpool have not given the staff any reasons however, it is believed that Benitez wants to bring in most of his former coaches at Valencia.

A source at Anfield said: “You’ve heard of the night of the long knives. This is more like two weeks of it and it may not be finished yet.

“Rafa wants a clean sweep, but some of the staff won’t go quietly and are taking legal advice. Some of them don’t even feel they’ve been told why they’re going.”

SACKED BACKROOM STAFF:
      Gary Ablett - Reserve team manager (2 years)
      Piet Hamburg - Academy director (2 years)
      Hugh McAuley - Under 18 coach (20 years)
      Dave Shannon - Under-16 coach (20 years)
      Paul Lever - Under-14 coach (18 years)
      Billy Stewart - Academy goalkeeper coach (10 years)
      Norman Gard - Players’ liaison officer (15 years)
      Tim Divine - Education officer (15 years)
      John Wright - Kit man (15 years)
      Victor Salinas - Physio (4 years)
      Gerard Nus - Sports scientist (2 years)
      Angel Vales - Sports scientist (1 year)
      Simon Farnworth - Academy physio (10 years)
      John Coburn - Academy physio (8 years)
      Jan de Koning - Assistant academy director (2 years)
      Tim Dittmar - Academy goalkeeper coach (8 years)

For me, that's a lot of change in the off season in one swoop.

Aside form Gary Ablett leaving, the one that stood out for me is The Kit man- John Wright. Not that I know him personally, but got to feel sorry for the man...been doing a job anyone would love to do for 15 years and he has now been given the arse. Wonder what he did wrong?  ???
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #13: Jun 08, 2009 09:55:32 am
      If rumours of King Kenny coming back are true, then I am sure Rafa would have consulted with him before making such a big decision.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #14: Jun 08, 2009 10:07:49 am
      Feel very sorry for many of them up there but I quite certain if its time to go, then its time. They got nothing to take legal action about I think, its the normal sacking kind of thing if Rafa feels that they aren't quite up to standard. Many from the Academy up there, the academy has not been producing good enough players to make the step up so that is the reason for the sacking I feel.

The job from the reserves to the academy is to produce a good player to play in the first team, however nothing of that is happening at the moment, the players are not making the step up to the first team and that is probably one of the reasons that Rafa decides to sack them.

Rafa wants to save millions of pounds by bringing in the right quality players, and then giving the best coaches to grow their potential. If Rafa sees it that these staff cannot fulfil to that requirement, then I have no qualms of him kicking them out because it is only for the good of the club and the right direction to move towards.

Sentimentality couldn't be in his thoughts, if not we wouldn't progress. Friends or not friends, this is a football club, you are not good, you leave. Simple.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #15: Jun 08, 2009 10:14:42 am
      I am not sure what the Academy costs but it hasnt been prolific in sending lads through to the first team. Stevie  being the last one who plays in the first team.
      So something had to change either due to financial pressure or just lack of people coming through.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Jun 08, 2009 10:17:53 am
      SACKED BACKROOM STAFF:

To me it looks like Rafa has brought a sh*t-storm on himself/the club. I'm a shop steward and union activist and i'll tell you this: the claims for unfair dismissal will be raining in.

It's going to be very hard for the club to stand over some these sackings unless there's some sort of proof of wrong doing. Employees in the U.K. are protected by legislation and proper disciplinary procedure. I hope i'm wrong but in a number of these cases it would seem that the procedures were not followed.  :-\
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Jun 08, 2009 10:32:41 am
      Its the price you pay IMO. I feel sorry for the lads leaving but if it means Rafa can build us how he wants Liveprool Football Club to be run then its a good thing for now and the future.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #18: Jun 08, 2009 10:38:16 am
      You cant say they were wrongly dismissed as you dont know what was in their contracts they may have been 12 month contracts that were not renewed.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #19: Jun 08, 2009 11:04:09 am
      This is a bold and astute by Rafa, the academy has been ineffective in its own right in producing the quality players it should. Whether its a matter of harnessing that talent to the full potential is one thing. But one has to realize that it if it's consistently not working, then there must be a need for a change. Rafa's is going to get a lot of stick for this move, but it was on that he had to make.

We cannot be impartial because one is a long standing worker towards the cause. As the facts suggest that it has been a long stand without us seeing any talents rise out of the academy and prove themselves worthy in becoming world class at best.

Good move, and King Kenny will prove a worthy appointment. For this I am sure, sooner rather than later, the quality players we have will see their potential being fulfilled.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #20: Jun 08, 2009 11:10:39 am
      This will bring more attention to the club. I'm suprised as to why the kit man is leaving, what could he have done wrong there?? not that I know him or anything but is someone else going to do a better job as kit man? Steven Gerrard is full of praise in his autobiography for Hugh McAuley and Dave Shannon so Rafa must be upset with the lack of youths coming into the first team. Although if the players aren't there you can't turn a bad player into a good one no matter who is coaching
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #21: Jun 08, 2009 11:23:18 am
      SACKED BACKROOM STAFF:

For me, that's a lot of change in the off season in one swoop.

Looking at the list, what we see is essentially the people responsible for bringing the kids through from the Under-14 level all the way up to the reserves, who we would then hope to be pushing for a place in the first team.

I haven't met any of them personally of course, and I can't comment on whether or not these dismissals are legally fair, but from the club's perspective I can see the sense in it. It's already been mentioned that the club hasn't been producing enough young talent, and a lot of these staff have been in place 15 to 20 years, which is almost the entire period in which the team has struggled to regain it's place at the top.

I aren't for one minute blaming these individuals personally, but I think that sweeping changes were needed behind the scenes, and with Rafa wanting full control of transfers and revitalising the Academy, I do think the future of the club will benefit from this.

By extending the manager's contract we have decided he is the right man for the club. He should be left to construct the club as he sees fit, and as a man who is clearly a perfectionist to the tiniest detail, I have no worries that the new staff and systems put into place will be the right ones.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Jun 08, 2009 11:48:48 am
      You cant say they were wrongly dismissed as you dont know what was in their contracts they may have been 12 month contracts that were not renewed.

Aye, indeed just as you can't say they weren't.

The fact that:
      "some of the staff won’t go quietly and are taking legal advice." Some of them don’t even feel they’ve been told why they’re going.”
      would suggest otherwise tho'.

Anyhow, I'm sure any "off field" issues don't have any impact on the team; should those issues be, interfering owners, protracted contract talks, take-over bids, bankruptcy or just sackings.  
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009 08:23:52 pm by bad boy bubby »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #23: Jun 08, 2009 02:30:48 pm
      What about the scouts? They should be in the list as well. I could remember the all conquering years of the 70s and 80s, yearly 1 or 2 academy or reserve team players got into the 1st team and they blend in so well with the 1st team players that we hardly notice as if they have been there all along, playing with great confidence. Where did these academy or reserve players came from? I believe from the lower league and the Irish league which cost us next to nothing. Now, we are talking of having to spend 15 to 25 mil on a quality player, hey we don't have a bottomless pit of resources and we need to re-visit the cheaper and innovative ways of recruting new players. Besides that, by doing so it give us a better succession plan. Now, we target one quality player 10 big clubs compete with us and we end up loosing most of the time as we do yet  has the financial muscle to compete. Hmmmm... hope things will change for the better soon. Maybe King Kenny will show us how things are done successfully the Liverpool way.
      tizmawpux
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 08, 2009 02:46:47 pm
      pity he can't get rid of the two most usless, those bloody yanks. :f_steam:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #25: Jun 08, 2009 03:51:33 pm
      SACKED BACKROOM STAFF:

To be fair the vast majority of the shake-up has come at the Academy.  Benitez intimated in his contract discussions he wanted a bigger say and you can't argue that he is having a big say.

The Academy hasn't produced the local talent it was supposed to so entirely understandable.

Some of the others have left me scratching my head. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Jun 08, 2009 04:09:00 pm
      I think Rafa' did ok in this reshuffle. Sometimes its good to take out old wood but I was shocking to hear McAuley's name in the list.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #27: Jun 10, 2009 04:40:09 pm
      Well we've got another man in now in the form of John Achterberg

Dutchman Seals Reds Move

Tranmere Rovers veteran John Achterberg today spoke of his delight after being appointed reserve team goalkeeping coach at Liverpool. 
      The Dutchman, who turns 38 next month, will join Rafa Benitez's backroom team in pre-season after more than 10 years and 300 appearances at Rovers.

He will work primarily with the reserves and youth teams under Xavi Valero's stewardship.

Achterberg said: "This is a dream chance – I need to take it with both hands.

"It's a massive wrench for me to leave Tranmere after so many years - the fans there have always been so great to me and hopefully they always will be.

"I'd like to think the Tranmere fans will understand my move, however, as I'm joining one of the best clubs in the world.

"A chance like this doesn't come along too often.

"Coaching is the future for myself. I've been doing more and more of it at Tranmere in recent years and that's where I needed to progress.

"In the same way you want to play at the best club possible as a player, you want to do the same as a coach.

"When you hear a whisper that Liverpool might want you there's not much thinking needed in your decision – you need to do what is best for yourself."

Achterberg will be reunited at Melwood with former Tranmere colleague John McMahon, who has left his job as assistant manager at Shrewsbury Town to replace Gary Ablett as Liverpool's reserve team manager.

He added: "It will be nice to work with John. I've always got on really well with him and have a very positive work relationship.

"I can't wait to start. I've already met Rafa twice and I'll be speaking to Xavi soon to discuss our plans for training."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164696090610-1250.htm

Well he knows the Merseyside area well enough and was a decent keeper at Prenton Park but I've gotta be honest and say I'm quite surprised at this appointment. With Achterberg and McMahon now on our coaching staff, it's certainly looking like Benitez is aware of coaching talent down the leagues.
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #28: Jun 10, 2009 04:48:46 pm
      is it a good move /bold on rafas part
      or is it going to cost lfc a lot of money in compo
      just when we can ill afford scandal in mass sackings

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29: Jun 11, 2009 10:41:39 am
      Looks like Tranmere Rovers past may hold the key to our future success.  :-\
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #30: Jun 18, 2009 02:20:00 pm
      REDS ANNOUNCE NEW COACH
      Steve Hunter 18 June 2009

Liverpool have announced the appointment of Antonio Gomez Perez to their backroom staff as reserve team coach.
      Gomez will work alongside the newly appointed reserve team manager John McMahon.

Not to be confused with the Antonio Gomez who was previously part of the coaching staff before moving to Sunderland, Gomez is a former Real Madrid player.

Born on August 1, 1973, in Madrid, Gomez spent 10 years with Real where he played for their youth team under the command of Rafa Benitez.

After making his senior debut in 1994, he subsequently played for Sevilla and later Albacete Balompie and Toledo before injury finished his career in 2004.

Gomez began working as a Coach in Toledo's Youth system in 2003, before moving to Albacete Balompie as Youth Coach in 2004.

His team won the Spanish National Youth Cup the 'Copa Del Rey' against Valencia in 2007. After this he moved to work as Reserve Team Coach, where he remained until the end of the 2008-09 season.
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164780090618-1405.htm
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #31: Jun 18, 2009 05:43:11 pm
      The news about Antonio Gomez Perez coming here as a coach is another place filled, and there is one more that I would like to know about.

Still no news about what roll if any, that Kenny will have, it would be good to know, my own belief is that KK will have a roving ambassadorial roll, (what ever that means).

I would like to see his knowledge as a coach used in some roll, be it with the youth academy or those in the second team, or maybe a roll in both. It's just Kenny has so much he can give to all parts of the football club, and I think we'll be missing out if we use him as an ambassador, when he has so much as a coach he could pass on.........
      KumoZing
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #32: Jun 20, 2009 04:47:54 am
      Just sussed this out today.

I just hope that these people were treated with the respect that they deserved for the work that they did at LFC, I wouldnt say Stevie G would be over the moon with McCauleys sacking, if it was a sacking even!

Not enough players coming through to the first team so changes had to be made I guess, hope to God its not gonna have a negative effect on the team for the new season.

Wouldnt say Ablett is too happy.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8616 
      Reply #33: Jun 20, 2009 12:19:42 pm
      Wouldnt say Ablett is too happy.

I bet Rafa wasn't too happy when he saw were we finished in the reserve league.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #34: Jun 20, 2009 02:28:44 pm
      I don't think Rafa has been happy with the reserve team staff for many years, which is why he pushed so hard to try to get more of a say in his contract.

I think it's good that Rafa is trying to get th club running his way. (Although you feel a bit sorry for the kit man, surely he can't have done too bad a job?)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #35: Jun 20, 2009 02:34:48 pm
      Another one gone today. Academy Head of Recruitment, Malcolm Elias, has been let go now as well. Apparently he's the one who spotted Dalle Valle, Buchtmann and Wisdom. If thats the case he was doing a decent job surely?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #36: Jun 20, 2009 03:01:57 pm
      Another one gone today. Academy Head of Recruitment, Malcolm Elias, has been let go now as well. Apparently he's the one who spotted Dalle Valle, Buchtmann and Wisdom. If thats the case he was doing a decent job surely?

Dalla Valle and Buchtmann are promising, but they are yet to perform on the big stage and that's what it's all about.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #37: Jun 20, 2009 03:44:57 pm
      Dalla Valle and Buchtmann are promising, but they are yet to perform on the big stage and that's what it's all about.

In fairness Eem they are only 17 and Buchtmann was top man at the recent u17 Euros
      nesayir
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts | -2 
      Reply #38: Jun 20, 2009 11:36:23 pm
      not a good idea
      rbrtom
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #39: Jun 21, 2009 03:22:42 pm
      This will bring more attention to the club. I'm suprised as to why the kit man is leaving, what could he have done wrong there?? not that I know him or anything but is someone else going to do a better job as kit man? Steven Gerrard is full of praise in his autobiography for Hugh McAuley and Dave Shannon so Rafa must be upset with the lack of youths coming into the first team. Although if the players aren't there you can't turn a bad player into a good one no matter who is coaching

yeah Gerrard seems to love hugh McAuley and Dave Shannon I think Liverpool will really miss them two, them two and steve heighway brought us micheal owen, stevie gerrard, jamie carragher, robbie fowler and steve mcmanaman  not bad that is it?
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 21, 2009 08:50:03 pm

But how many years has he been there, and they are the only 3 to be found?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #41: Jun 22, 2009 02:41:13 am
      But how many years has he been there, and they are the only 3 to be found?

2 years. And if ye seen these 3 play you'd say thanks to Malcolm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #42: Jul 03, 2009 01:51:43 am
      Reds Reveal Two New Backroom Boys

Liverpool have today announced two new additions to their backroom team at Melwood. 
      Eduardo Parra Garcia will join the technical staff as Fitness Coach with specific emphasis on rehabilitation work after deciding to leave his position with Celta Vigo to take up the offer of a new challenge at Anfield.

"It's a dream come true for me to come and work with Rafa Benitez and the backroom staff at Liverpool FC," he said.

"I know all about Liverpool, the history, the passion of its amazing fans and of course the quality of its great players. I am really excited about working here."

Joining Eduardo as a new face at the club for the coming campaign will be Ivan Ortega, who will take up a position within the medical team as a Sports Therapist.

Ivan's previous position was also with Celta Vigo, where he was responsible for physiotherapy at first team level for the past two seasons.

"I am thrilled to have been offered the opportunity to work in such a fantastic Club. Everyone knows Liverpool in Spain and around the world," he said.

"Although it's a new country and a new environment for me, I can't wait to get started." 

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164929090702-0944.htm
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #43: Jul 03, 2009 07:37:55 am
      Well Rafa defenetly gaining control of the club and trying to do things his way. Where did we finish in the reserve league last year or the under age leagues?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #44: Jul 03, 2009 08:22:53 am
      Well Rafa defenetly gaining control of the club and trying to do things his way. Where did we finish in the reserve league last year or the under age leagues?

Can't remember the specifics but it was poor.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #45: Jul 03, 2009 08:32:22 am
      Jesus, just looked it up we finished 7th out of 11 in the Northern League with 22 points from 20 games.
      Looks like they were missing a striker as well as we sometimes seem to- 5 wins 7 draws 8 losses.
      I can see how Rafa is upset considering we won it the year before
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #46: Jul 03, 2009 02:00:26 pm
      Yeah Nemeth spent alot of time out and in general, the lads really dropped from the year before where it was so successful.

Welcome to the new lads, they have very important jobs now seeing as though we play 60 games a season so we're going to need our lads to be in top shape every week.

Good luck, gents.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,270 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #47: Jul 03, 2009 02:11:37 pm
      Not so much a shake up but more a cull
      Arm_Chair_Kopite
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts | -5 
      Reply #48: Jul 04, 2009 01:02:03 pm
      GET SOME BLOODY ENGLISH IN FFS!!!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8616 
      Reply #49: Jul 04, 2009 02:58:47 pm

Why the English are sh*t at footie, we want Scouse or Spanish, plus now you can include the King, who isn't English either!
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2009 05:04:19 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #50: Jul 04, 2009 03:11:14 pm
      King Kenny coming back is good enough for me
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #51: Jul 04, 2009 03:15:46 pm
      Can anyone compile a list of the backroom staff outs, and ins?

Would be well appreciated.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #52: Jul 04, 2009 04:05:32 pm

Why do we need English backroom staff?
      kopgil
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #53: Jul 04, 2009 04:58:44 pm
      what a brill bit of srewedness getting King Kenny back at liverpool, the man just breathes L.F.C great for the up and coming kids...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #54: Jul 05, 2009 11:01:04 am

The Spanish - best team in the world and renowned for spotting and maturing young talent or;

The English - dying for new talent just to pop up.

Totally agree with Huyton, either Scouse or Spanish. And King Kenny, well we can say he's sort of Scouse can't we?
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #55: Jul 05, 2009 12:00:35 pm
      Scouse, Spanish Scottish ( King Kenny )  When Kenny's Son was playing up this way for Livingston Paul lived two doors down from me and i spoke to him a few times he told me and dad this must of been about 4 years ago that Kenny was talking to Liverpool on a return. Its only took 4 years

hold 51
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #56: Jul 05, 2009 01:21:17 pm
      Really i don't care if the coaching staff are martians so long as we get the right coaching staff to bring through quality youngsters that we need for the future of the club, Kenny back is a masterstroke of planning from Rafa , and to be fair look at he spanish system for bringing on quality players through their clubs!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8616 
      Reply #57: Jul 05, 2009 02:07:15 pm
      Scouse, Spanish Scottish ( King Kenny )  When Kenny's Son was playing up this way for Livingston Paul lived two doors down from me and i spoke to him a few times he told me and dad this must of been about 4 years ago that Kenny was talking to Liverpool on a return. Its only took 4 years

But it was originally just as an ambassador role, now it is an ambassador role as well as a senior position at the academy.

Quick Reply