Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Will Carra be first choice?

Read 2477 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Will Carra be first choice?
      Jun 04, 2009 06:08:38 pm
      Over the last couple of seasons Jamie Carragher has probably been the best centre half in the world. A hero to millions of reds and a legend.

However hes getting older and lost a bit of pace or at least losing a bit of pace. Do you think he will be still an automatic choice or will Skrtel and Agger become our central duo with Carra doing the Sami role?

I personally believe that he has at least one more outstanding season in him but he will be pressured by Skrtel and Agger big time this season to command a regular place. I think its what the team needs, 3 quality players fighting for 2 spots.

Whats your views will Carra be still number 1 or will we see the beginning of a potential super duo in Agger/Skrtel
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Will Carra be first choice?
      Reply #1: Jun 04, 2009 06:23:06 pm
      This is really a question to ponder, a hard one I suppose and definitely a good discussion thread.

Personally, next season I feel he will still be an automatic choice, but will be rested over the course of the season and not playing week in week out like what he is doing now.

Yes I have to agree with your point that Jamie Carragher is probably the best cenre half in the world. The other day I was reading BBC MotD book and they rated Carra as the best, as well. We have not seen the potential super duo of Agger-Skrtel partnership yet, very rarely. Its not tested yet and a lot of work needs to be done over the seasons to make sure they form a central formidable partnership. Yes, good defenders are gems to the squad but good players do not mean good parterships.

A lot of work on this needs to be done for them to understand on the field well, but right now we dont have that time, Carra still surely gotta be in it. However, as Carra is going to be 32 next season, I reckon he will still play a vital part in our campaign but will have breaks here and there, in bits and pieces. Its good to see him not playing in internationals already that means he will have extra rest when the lads are away on duty, and hopefully it does give him an edge as well.

I do not want to see Carra playing so hard week in week out, his commitment is fantastic but I'm afraid he will not be able to take it, and burn out. But Carra's a strong and realistic lad, so lets have faith in him. Hopefully, Rafa builds on Carra's rest days on the bench during a game to build upon the Agger-Skrtel partnership, helping it to blossom in the process.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 04, 2009 06:32:24 pm
      I reckon next season Carra will still be First Choice but I don't think he'll play every game, he'll probably start about 30 of the 38 League games.  It will be interesting to see who partners Carra, because I don't think Rafa will keep rotating, and I don't think you can afford to in that area of the field. So both Skrtel and Agger will have to perform when picked. 
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2009 06:44:43 pm
      I do think that if Rafa rotates next season then the majority of rotation will be happening in defence.

While it's true that Carra isn't getting younger by no means is he becoming any less of a player, great players always find a way to compensate for the loss of pace brought on by getting older and i think Carra will continue to be excellent in the next seasons. His pace might lessen but i'll wager a million quid that his positional play will be nothing less than outstanding.

While Agger/Skrtel will be the partnership of the future it'd be folly to rule out 'Mr.Liverpool' just yet.

The man is awesome.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2009 11:39:06 pm
      I think Carra will be first choice for the next few seasons and then it's time for him to be effectively what Sami was.

I don't know though, I suppose it all depends on whether age takes its toll on him or not. He could still be world class in a few years time.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2009 11:43:18 pm
      I think there was something that Rafa said to Agger to make him sign a new contract with us, and I beleive it was..... Him and Skrtel will soon become the 1st choice partnership but next season I think we will see rotation as Carra being 1st choice and eventaully maybe season after next Carra will be how hyppia was for us in the recent seasons....
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2009 11:46:27 pm
      As much as I like Carra I do feel that after next season he may be getting on a bit. I think that Rafa must of promised Agger some sort of deal because he was wanted by top clubs.

I just wish Carra could play for the next 10 years.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2009 12:04:13 am
      Yes Carra will still be first choice for the 09/10, 10/11 and in my opinion the 11/12 season.

Next year he's almost certain to start because Agger and Skrtel are still very inexperienced Premiership players and neither yet seem to take responsibility as a leader. Also either side of the centre halves will be Arbeloa and Insua, again neither are obvious leaders to sort the defence out. Every defence needs that leader to tell them when to push up and when to stay back, that's something hopefully Skrtel or Agger or both will learn from Carra like he has done from Sami over the past ten years.

As for pace, well Carra has never had any of any note which is why his worst games in a Liverpool shirt always came against Arsenal when they had Henry in the side. That's nothing to be ashamed of because at that time Henry could put any defender to shame. So his lack of pace isn't too much of an issue for me. His positioning play, last ditch tackles and football brain more than make up for lack of pace.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #8: Jun 05, 2009 12:29:22 am
      DLS as always valid point about Carra's control in the back four will give him a place, but only until Dagger steps up because for mine he will be the next Liverpool captain.Skrtl will be his natural replacement as enforcer but I see Dagger as the new Emlyn in our set up
      neilo
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 05, 2009 12:44:59 am
      I think he's got two more seasons as first choice,he'll be rested for lesser cup games and unless we strengthen at right back i can see him covering there for certain games.As for Agger and Skrtel its up to them to start being more vocal and commanding then it might push Carra into the squad role sooner.......Would love to see him go on forever though the mans a rock. 
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 05, 2009 01:40:35 am
      I wouldn't be surprised to see carra fill in at right back more this season, if we miss out on glen johnson, and arby goes back to Spain, there are others we have been linked with in the past such as srna and rafinta (or was it renato augutso, sorry cant remember), but these players will obviously need time to adjust to the premier league, and carra could just play every other game at RB till say Xmas, depending on how they cope.

although I'm all for promoting Darby to senior squad, and have him play cup games, i don't believe he is ready to make 10 - 15 appearances a season at EPL level.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Jun 05, 2009 10:13:59 am
      Yes Carra will still be first choice for the 09/10, 10/11 and in my opinion the 11/12 season.

Next year he's almost certain to start because Agger and Skrtel are still very inexperienced Premiership players and neither yet seem to take responsibility as a leader. Also either side of the centre halves will be Arbeloa and Insua, again neither are obvious leaders to sort the defence out. Every defence needs that leader to tell them when to push up and when to stay back, that's something hopefully Skrtel or Agger or both will learn from Carra like he has done from Sami over the past ten years.

As for pace, well Carra has never had any of any note which is why his worst games in a Liverpool shirt always came against Arsenal when they had Henry in the side. That's nothing to be ashamed of because at that time Henry could put any defender to shame. So his lack of pace isn't too much of an issue for me. His positioning play, last ditch tackles and football brain more than make up for lack of pace.
      This is the correct answer, cmon lads its Carra ;)
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #12: Jun 05, 2009 10:16:36 am
      I think Carra will still be the man in charge at the back but I expect that Raffa will start to use the Skrtek/Agger combo in more of the lesser games to get them use to each other. Carra is the sort of player who will still be performing well long after most other players of his age would retire.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Jun 05, 2009 10:22:23 am
      A good question Brian, and well answered by DLS......
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Jun 05, 2009 11:54:34 am
      He have a good season in him to be the first choice next season but Danny & Martin will fight him to death for his place.

We have the best central defence in England.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: Jun 05, 2009 12:05:20 pm
      Seeing now that we won't really be able to buy anyone in the summer, Carra will defo be in the first XI.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2009 04:04:31 pm
      he'll still be in the playing 11 many times, but i personally think that rafa will start using agger-skrtel combination a bit more and build a solid future partnership between them.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Jun 06, 2009 12:24:23 am
      Would Rafa dare drop Carra?  :laugh:

Jamie Carragher is Mr Liverpool, he would run naked through the streets of Liverpool to play on the hallowed turf each week.

The only games I can see him NOT playing are League Cup, and the odd FA Cup games.

Jamie will continue to give 110% in every game literally until he is completely unable to do so, which I feel will be for a good more couple of years yet.

He's a Scouse through and through and won't give up that easily.

He will run until he dies.

100% committed to the cause.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #18: Jun 06, 2009 01:06:01 am
      Well said MsG. A bit of positivity. Carra's not ready to relinquish his crown just yet. I reckon he'll have a great season next season (or this season, as someone said - love that!). Don't forget that even when Carragher does start getting 'a bit too old' he'll still have at least one more year in him because of his 'I will die on this pitch' attitude.

Long Play Carra!!

We all dream of a team of Carraghers
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2009 01:23:46 am
      He may not be the fastest defender in the world but his commitment, passion, and ability to read moves early can compensate for his lack of pace. He's a leader at the back and always wants that clean sheet.

He'd be able to play for 2-3 years, I reckon.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #20: Jun 06, 2009 08:48:35 am
      Well be seeing more of the Skrtel - Agger partnership, but I still think Carra will be first choice. give Skrtel and Agger a chance to slowly build up an understanding as opposed to the baptism of fire route.
      Tombo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts | -2 
      Reply #21: Jun 07, 2009 09:35:33 pm
      If DA and MS had of been injury free this season I think we would of saw a lot more of their partnership. I think next season JC will be slowly moved into a covering role like sami did this year. Although JC is an unbelievable servant to the club I think with Skirtles aggression and Aggers composure on the ball ,our defence will be impenetrable.

Quick Reply