Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

England National Football Team

Read 368419 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #2254: May 22, 2016 09:08:35 pm
      watching 1Alfies boys on BBC2 the story of 66. Our very own Sir Rodger Hunt played in the final. It is my earliest memory as a young lad of 6 and he became my first real hero. But I always remember Nobby Stiles and Bobby Charlton too. Ian Callaghan was a big part too and Peter Thompson.
      Maybe it was our finest hour.
      Bobbt Moore could easily play today and still be world class but for me Gordon Banks was by a mile and still is the best goalkeeper ever to grace the game wonderful times in football
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2255: May 22, 2016 09:15:45 pm
      watching 1Alfies boys on BBC2 the story of 66. Our very own Sir Rodger Hunt played in the final. It is my earliest memory as a young lad of 6 and he became my first real hero. But I always remember Nobby Stiles and Bobby Charlton too. Ian Callaghan was a big part too and Peter Thompson.
      Maybe it was our finest hour.
      Bobbt Moore could easily play today and still be world class but for me Gordon Banks was by a mile and still is the best goalkeeper ever to grace the game wonderful times in football

Must have been a wonderful time to live in England during that period. Culturally rich and crammed full of heroes in sport, music, film etc.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #2256: May 22, 2016 09:18:07 pm
      Must have been a wonderful time to live in England during that period. Culturally rich and crammed full of heroes in sport, music, film etc.

maybe it was our finest hour.England World Cup winners ,the Beatles and some bloke called Shankly nothing will ever be as good as that
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2257: May 22, 2016 10:07:09 pm
      F*^K the English National team...The only team that means anything to me is Liverpool FC... If England should ever win the World Cup Again in my life time I will find the deepest darkest hole and hide away in it... just like the British Empire, and how England rule the waves; They have not stopped talking about something the did last century... !966 some 50 years ago :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #2258: May 22, 2016 10:10:08 pm
      The 60's were so important for our City. From being a City that was just a City with a History we became famous again not only for the Fab four but in 1959 some bloke from Scotland came to Anfield and decided that this city and it people were so special he would make us world famous. In 1966 some of our boys  made History and my first Idol Sir Rodger Hunt played his part . How I wished I could still cheer on England but how could anyone despise  Terry and then cheer him on for England. I wish we could all relive those special days of Shankly and Hughes /Yeats and Smith because we were at the very beginning of what we all wish for today.The very best of England means the very best of LFC
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2259: May 23, 2016 10:54:06 pm
      The 60's were so important for our City. From being a City that was just a City with a History we became famous again not only for the Fab four but in 1959 some bloke from Scotland came to Anfield and decided that this city and it people were so special he would make us world famous. In 1966 some of our boys  made History and my first Idol Sir Rodger Hunt played his part . How I wished I could still cheer on England but how could anyone despise  Terry and then cheer him on for England. I wish we could all relive those special days of Shankly and Hughes /Yeats and Smith because we were at the very beginning of what we all wish for today.The very best of England means the very best of LFC

Just saw a report on the news regarding a new documentary about Bobby Moore. Struck me just how normal and humble they all were back then. I always remember drawing a sketch of Moore for a school history project about the 50s and 60s and for when I was 10 such was the iconic status of these images and the players that made them.

And what a paradigmatic change the mid 60s were for Liverpool as well. The success that Callaghan and Hunt lived on  taking it into and out of the English national setup came at just the right time for Liverpool. The football club symbolised the resilience and brilliance of that city at a time when its identity was under threat because of deindustrialisation. Reading histories of the great city makes you realise that Liverpool FC acted as a guardian for the great place at a time when it needed heroes and its people needed something to cling onto. That communal spirit, collective identity and defiance channelled through one football team is why it's beauty and brilliance shines brighter than ANY sporting institution across the world.

It's a cliche I know but we can learn so much and get to the heart of what football really means by looking back into that era. That's why no one should heed the ignorant naysayers who I can only say are light on their history and the importance of it, who bang on, telling them (England fans) or us (Liverpool fans) to stop talking about something that happened x amount of years ago. F**k them. Whether it's the England of Moore, Charlton, Ball and Banks or the Liverpool of Callaghan, Hunt, Yeats and St John - spread the word. We can learn so much from those players and those supporters who witnessed such great feats.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2260: May 27, 2016 08:11:45 pm
      after waiting ages to see Henderson get some touches all I seen is an over hit pass, a back pass and a rather tame shot. He is quite mediocre today.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2261: May 27, 2016 08:23:03 pm
      Sterling 50m  :lmao:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2262: May 27, 2016 08:35:16 pm
      Australia are actually the better team :D

Josh Risden at right back is having a shocker though. But Mooy, Rogic and Jedinak in the middle have been better than England's midfield. We just have no real pace up top with Kruse and McLaren.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2263: May 27, 2016 08:38:46 pm
      Australia are actually the better team :D

Josh Risden at right back is having a shocker though. But Mooy, Rogic and Jedinak in the middle have been better than England's midfield. We just have no real pace up top with Kruse and McLaren.

I had a feeling Mooy and Rogic would have good games. Enjoyed watching them in the A-League. Obviously Rogic has gone back to Celtic since his time on loan at Victory.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2264: May 27, 2016 08:43:05 pm
      The wankfest after Rashford scored the goal of the century was just unbearable.

Only thing missing was describing him as the next Pele!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2265: May 27, 2016 08:43:57 pm
      It's pissing me off how Ian Wright describes the Aussie players as 'that Rogic', 'that Mooy'. Just call them by their names ffs.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2266: May 27, 2016 08:45:15 pm

How the keeper got beaten at the post like that is beyond me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2267: May 27, 2016 08:47:30 pm

Matty Ryan is a decent keeper, he will be dussapointed with that one.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2268: May 27, 2016 08:47:57 pm

He smashed the ball from 6 yards away, maybe? :D

Been awful since. Bullied off it and keeps losing it.
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #2269: May 27, 2016 08:59:54 pm
      Superb strike by Rooney super goal
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2270: May 27, 2016 09:06:19 pm
      Am i crazy that England have been clearly second best? How are they sitting back and can't breakthrough Australia unless it's a counter attack?

Every time they try to pass it forward they can't find space and lose it. How are they expecting to do well against the best teams in the world at the Euros?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2271: May 27, 2016 09:08:03 pm
      Am i crazy that England have been clearly second best? How are they sitting back and can't breakthrough Australia unless it's a counter attack?

Every time they try to pass it forward they can't find space and lose it. How are they expecting to do well against the best teams in the world at the Euros?

If there's one thing we don't do in England it's expect our national team to do well at football :D

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2272: May 27, 2016 09:13:02 pm

Doubt it would have been beyond Simon....right up his ally that one.

On another note...no matter the kit, Clyne looks solid.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2273: May 27, 2016 09:20:03 pm
      We don't have a striker but we have Eric Dier :D
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #2274: May 27, 2016 09:21:26 pm
      Silly own goal but cracking diving header
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 686 posts | 91 
      Reply #2275: May 27, 2016 09:27:54 pm
      Sterling or Townsend to go?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2276: May 27, 2016 09:29:57 pm

Sterling over Townsend for me. Sterling's been sh*t but it's less sh*t than what Townsend has been for his entire career.

Quick Reply