Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

England National Football Team

Read 357106 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #2944: Mar 15, 2018 03:57:08 pm
      Jake Livermore.

What else is there to be said?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2945: Mar 15, 2018 04:55:26 pm
      At least stephen hawking is off the radar now
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #2946: Mar 15, 2018 05:08:33 pm
      Kane Injured so lets wheel out Danny F***ing Welbeck.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2947: Mar 20, 2018 01:49:05 pm
      I see Trent has been drafted into training for the senior England team today due to injuries. Do you suppose this is a one-off or could he be included in the squad for the Holland match on Friday?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2948: Mar 23, 2018 08:28:03 pm
      Horrible pass back by Henderson. Lucky it was picked up by a defender, awfully miss kicked.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2949: Mar 23, 2018 08:30:15 pm
      Now Henderson loosing the ball deep in his own half
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2950: Mar 23, 2018 09:27:17 pm
      Now Henderson loosing the ball deep in his own half

C'mon grammar nazi, you can do better than that.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2951: Mar 23, 2018 09:42:09 pm
      Ox better not start on Tuesday, otherwise I will be fuming!! 90 bloody mins today.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2952: Mar 23, 2018 09:54:10 pm
      C'mon grammar nazi, you can do better than that.
      losing*   :-\
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2953: Mar 24, 2018 12:29:26 am
      Caught highlights of England on ITV earlier. I think there's a semblance of a purposeful and decent defence being constructed by Southgate. I think the very least people expect from England is to have an excellent defence that is in the best traditions of Moore, Butcher, Adams, Ferdinand, Campbell etc.

They will need a lot more from those further up the field though - Rashford and Sterling spent half the game running into the Dutch defenders making it easy meat for them most the time. Lingard was probably the most impressive attacker, a far cry from Dele Alli who was absolutely dire when he came on. Hendo decent but still far too conservative. AOO always a danger when he gets in that space between attack and defence as he showed when he played Rose in from the left but given how slow England play out he rarely gets the chance to get to play in that area.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2954: Mar 24, 2018 09:50:25 am
      Caught highlights of England on ITV earlier. I think there's a semblance of a purposeful and decent defence being constructed by Southgate. I think the very least people expect from England is to have an excellent defence that is in the best traditions of Moore, Butcher, Adams, Ferdinand, Campbell etc.

They will need a lot more from those further up the field though - Rashford and Sterling spent half the game running into the Dutch defenders making it easy meat for them most the time. Lingard was probably the most impressive attacker, a far cry from Dele Alli who was absolutely dire when he came on. Hendo decent but still far too conservative. AOO always a danger when he gets in that space between attack and defence as he showed when he played Rose in from the left but given how slow England play out he rarely gets the chance to get to play in that area.
      I'd be satisfied with quarter finals. It's a very young England team. Beating Holland isn't the same as beating them 4 years ago. Italy will be a tougher test. Regardless, there's hundreds of countries in the world, some of them have excellent football teams. England are great but not excellent, England would need luck against Brazil, Germany.. etc.. so it's why I think quarter finals would be okay. The best thing to do is just improve our FIFA rankings to be top seeds for when the players are developed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2955: Mar 24, 2018 04:18:04 pm
      I'd be satisfied with quarter finals. It's a very young England team. Beating Holland isn't the same as beating them 4 years ago. Italy will be a tougher test. Regardless, there's hundreds of countries in the world, some of them have excellent football teams. England are great but not excellent, England would need luck against Brazil, Germany.. etc.. so it's why I think quarter finals would be okay. The best thing to do is just improve our FIFA rankings to be top seeds for when the players are developed.

Agreed - quarter finals would be good for England and much needed given their dire performances at tournaments in recent years. It would get them back close to the solid if unspectacular stature of the Sven years.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2956: May 16, 2018 03:25:31 pm
      Here is England squad for world cup

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham).

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2957: May 16, 2018 03:29:34 pm
      Hope they don't unpack their suitcases
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2958: May 16, 2018 03:45:57 pm
      Southgate said he picked the keepers on how they’ve performed this season. Obviously wasn’t the case with the CBs and forwards. Dunk, lascells and Tarkowski have all been a lot better than Cahill and Maguire. Murray has been a lot better than Welbeck, Loftus-Cheek I have no idea how he is in there. Rose has missed near on the whole season but leave out Lallana...

Good to see there are still so many inconsistencies and terrible selection choices for Ingerland. Hope they don’t get too settled in Russia, they will be heading back after 3 games.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2959: May 16, 2018 04:06:53 pm
      Happy for TAA (even if I would have wanted him to stay and prepare for a full pre season)

But Southgate going for Cahill instead of Tarkowski is one hell of a stupid decision. Cahill has been dire for Chelsea this season and let's remember, even when he was 'good' he was nothing special. His performances for England at the last two major tournaments have been dire and as complicit as anyone on the field in their embarrassments. And as 7KK7 said - you leave Lallana out but take Danny Rose? How and why?! The Lallana decision is made all the worse when he would he decides not to take Wilshere or Shelvey - despite their failings they are quite content to play ambitious balls. Well, at least Lallana gets a full pre season to himself - not bad given England's criminal displays on the world stage in recent years!

Don't let the TAA headlines define this squad. It is one of the most conservative Southgate could have chosen and totally in keeping with the stink Hodgson before him left.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2960: May 16, 2018 04:21:25 pm
      Happy for TAA (even if I would have wanted him to stay and prepare for a full pre season)

But Southgate going for Cahill instead of Tarkowski is one hell of a stupid decision. Cahill has been dire for Chelsea this season and let's remember, even when he was 'good' he was nothing special. His performances for England at the last two major tournaments have been dire and as complicit as anyone on the field in their embarrassments. And as 7KK7 said - you leave Lallana out but take Danny Rose? How and why?! The Lallana decision is made all the worse when he would he decides not to take Wilshere or Shelvey - despite their failings they are quite content to play ambitious balls. Well, at least Lallana gets a full pre season to himself - not bad given England's criminal displays on the world stage in recent years!

Don't let the TAA headlines define this squad. It is one of the most conservative Southgate could have chosen and totally in keeping with the stink Hodgson before him left.

Some strange decisions I agree. However, there is potential and pace in the team that makes me excited.

433 but no idea on defence... midfield and forwards for me:

Alli Dier Henderson

Vardy Kane Sterling
      Kopite78
      Reply #2961: May 16, 2018 04:23:02 pm
      Won't get past the group stages
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #2962: May 16, 2018 08:21:25 pm
      Jobs for the boys as usual with England.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2963: May 17, 2018 10:05:36 am
      Disagree. I think England are capable of reaching the quarter finals. I know you don't like England, but realistically England are a good team. Not good enough to win the whole tournament, but compared to Tunisia and Panama etc... The gulf in quality is obvious.
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2018 10:10:33 am by Ribapuru »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2964: May 17, 2018 10:08:20 am
      Disagree. I think England are capable of reaching the quarter finals. I know you don't like England, but realistically England are a good team. Not good enough to win the whole tournament, but compared to Tunisia and Panama etc... The gulf in quality is obvious.

People said the same about England and Iceland, that went well.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2965: May 17, 2018 10:11:46 am

Hard work and graft can beat talent especially in one off games

England don't have hard work and graft or much talent
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2966: May 17, 2018 10:12:47 am
      I know you are knowledgeable about football, but on Iceland's quality you just join the herd that would rather mock England than admit Iceland are a quality team. The FIFA rankings aren't wrong on Iceland. They have fantastic players and won a tough qualification group. Whoever gets them in the knockout won't be getting an easy game. They finished above Croatia in qualification for a start.

Quick Reply