Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

England National Football Team

Read 359112 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #3036: Jun 25, 2018 10:29:01 am
      Tunisia aren't poor opposition. Probably best team in Africa. Belgium and England just made them look average. Additionally, Panama finished above USA and Chile in qualification. Panama probably are  a worser side than most, but top teams have been struggling against lower sides. Brazil only broken Costa Rica down in injury time. I don't understand how after 2 games into the world cup you moan about how most our goals are from set pieces. We've had some great set pieces and without them we'd be on 4 points instead of 6. We have had a total of 2 yellow cards. Look at some teams diving and kicking, then there's England who get stick for scoring from set plays. Laughable. The sad fact is anti-English brigade is not able to laugh at England yet and they're clutching at straws, anything negative to say. Even if England won the world cup, all we'd hear is, they didn't deserve it and this reason, that reason. It's really really boring. The reality is that this is the youngest England side we've ever fielded, youngest in this  years competition and nobody will want to face England until quarter finals.

I can't remember many Liverpool fans saying when we thrashed Maribor that they're a bad team, so why is it different for England v Panama?

Credit where credit is due. I'm not a big fan of Southgate but fair enough he has done well so far. I said England could do well but it depends on Southgate really playing as if he wants to win the thing rather than, as I suspect, put up a good show.

Take the bull by the horns and play Rashford, Vardy,Sterling,Kane,Deli Ali and Henderson holding, as the front 6. Should have the pace to destroy teams and enough energy to defend when possession is lost. Belief rather than hope, it's the only way England will ever win the world cup. The England shirt has since 66-70 been a very heavy burden. Players weighed down by the expectation and pressure of the shirt. Belief is the key word.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3037: Jun 25, 2018 11:04:13 am
      Not a case of ā€œanti English brigadeā€. Not for me anyway, Iā€™m dual nationality, Iā€™m as much English as I am Maltese and I support them no more than I do Ingerland, club over both countries for me like.
      No offence to Maltese team, but their team is part timers isn't it? A team that has players that still need regular jobs?
      Not supporting Malta is not really showing any less anti-Ingurland as you call it. Plenty of English people are anti-English too.
      I've just got used to it now, it's depressing when people can't back their own countries team because the FA suck. I can tolerate the anti-English, I just find the digs hypocritical. Anybody who is complaining England are a set piece team after 2 games are clutching at straws to speak anti about English football side. The fact is, if Liverpool score from some great set pieces in next years CL group games, the people who complained about England won't be complaining if 4 goals in a row come from set pieces against Juventus and Munich, even if both games are won 2-0 you guys will take it. I don't mind if people want to openly speak hypocritically, because there may be a time in Champions League and whilst I celebrate lots of Liverpool goals from set pieces I will also remind people to acknowledge their set pieces comments regarding England. I should make a list of comments to quote. I'll take any set piece goals in Champions League and let people stew over if to celebrate and admit being a hypocrite or criticise their own victories.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018 11:38:46 am by Ribapuru »
      Kopite78
      Reply #3038: Jun 25, 2018 12:53:19 pm
      No offence to Maltese team, but their team is part timers isn't it? A team that has players that still need regular jobs?
      Not supporting Malta is not really showing any less anti-Ingurland as you call it. Plenty of English people are anti-English too.
      I've just got used to it now, it's depressing when people can't back their own countries team because the FA suck.

You say you tolerate it but you clearly don't understand it

I'm not anti English or anti England. I love the  country and feel very privileged to be born in a democratic country where everyone had the opportunity to be whatever they want to be

I don't get into the England football team but the FA is at best a very tiny percentage of why if at all.

I don't overly dislike them, I just don't support them whatsoever. I've only seen 10 minutes of the England games so far. I'm just completely ambivalent towards them. But the fa isn't the reason
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #3039: Jun 25, 2018 01:39:56 pm
      I've just got used to it now, it's depressing when people can't back their own countries team because the FA suck. I can tolerate the anti-English, I just find the digs hypocritical. Anybody who is complaining England are a set piece team after 2 games are clutching at straws to speak anti about English football side. The fact is, if Liverpool score from some great set pieces in next years CL group games, the people who complained about England won't be complaining if 4 goals in a row come from set pieces against Juventus and Munich, even if both games are won 2-0 you guys will take it. I don't mind if people want to openly speak hypocritically, because there may be a time in Champions League and whilst I celebrate lots of Liverpool goals from set pieces I will also remind people to acknowledge their set pieces comments regarding England. I should make a list of comments to quote. I'll take any set piece goals in Champions League and let people stew over if to celebrate and admit being a hypocrite or criticise their own victories.

Utter sh*te, some of us who have actually gone the match &  travelled away following Liverpool don't want to stand with F***ing arseholes who any other day of the week call us "murderers" "bindippers" "always the victims" etc. So to say it is just about the FA is wrong.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #3040: Jun 25, 2018 01:58:57 pm
      I do support the England team but I find them very frustrating. They nearly always seem lacklustre and heavy footed when the big tournaments come round. May be this time it will be different although despite the thrashing of Panama I still doubt them.

Carping on about the FA and the managers they appoint does not necessarily mean I don't support the team. I whinge about the cricket team but I still support the team.

I may also criticise other aspects of the set up etc but again doesn't make me anti-English.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3041: Jun 25, 2018 03:22:03 pm
      Utter sh*te, some of us who have actually gone the match &  travelled away following Liverpool don't want to stand with f**king arseholes who any other day of the week call us "murderers" "bindippers" "always the victims" etc. So to say it is just about the FA is wrong.
      i understand if you don't want to be near such people, half of those probably aren't England fans either. I'm just rubbishing the dig regarding set pieces to be honest.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3042: Jun 25, 2018 08:21:50 pm
      I'm just rubbishing the dig regarding set pieces to be honest.

Good for you, rubbish it all you want because I'm not seeking your approval of my opinion, to be honest.

6 of the 8 (6 of the 7 before the freak goal) goals from set pieces is a clear enough indication of where they are relying on getting their goals from so far. Not asking you to agree or accept that but the stats speak for themselves so far. Simple.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018 08:29:43 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3043: Jun 25, 2018 08:26:47 pm
      Sterling has to be dropped next game even under the guise of resting him he has stunk the place out . Taking away the loathing of the lad for the way he left us he simply doesn't deserve his place in this team.
      The only reservation I have for England is our CB's will get slaughtered by a good team.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #3044: Jun 26, 2018 12:56:49 pm
      As expected the media have gone into overdrive. Kane is now the best penalty kicker in history. We have beat the two poorest teams in our group and now we will breeze thru the rest of the tournament thrashing everybody put in front of us.

The country is in basking in the glory. Everybody hails King Harry, the messiah. Arise Sir Gareth, Our genius manager has outwitted Tunisia and Panama. Just a matter of time till we lift the World Cup.

Savvy sports retailers are buying in World Cup souvenirs by the shed load...yipeeeeeeeeee...

I'll take a rain check..

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3045: Jun 26, 2018 01:16:47 pm
      Good for you, rubbish it all you want because I'm not seeking your approval of my opinion, to be honest.

6 of the 8 (6 of the 7 before the freak goal) goals from set pieces is a clear enough indication of where they are relying on getting their goals from so far. Not asking you to agree or accept that but the stats speak for themselves so far. Simple.
      I'm not debating that we relied on set pieces. I am debating the people who are making it out to be a bad thing. Additionally we are only two games in. There has been a bit of a shortage of goals from open play all round in this world cup. We aren't the only team scoring from set pieces, there has been record set pieces due to VAR. Being good at set pieces is a good thing.

England are the kings of the set-piece so far at this World Cup, and it is something to be proud of.

Alan Shearer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44605562

Awaiting the inevitable. "Shearer is this, Shearer is that" or "What the heck does Shearer know?" from the typical England bashers.
      If we go on to score a whole lot of open play goals, then Uruguay score a few set pieces with Suarez involved, I expect some high level hypocrisy.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3046: Jun 26, 2018 01:21:27 pm
      I'm not debating that we relied on set pieces. I am debating the people who are making it out to be a bad thing. Additionally we are only two games in. There has been a bit of a shortage of goals from open play all round in this world cup. We aren't the only team scoring from set pieces, there has been record set pieces due to VAR. Being good at set pieces is a good thing.

England are the kings of the set-piece so far at this World Cup, and it is something to be proud of.

Alan Shearer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44605562

Awaiting the inevitable. "Shearer is this, Shearer is that" or "What the heck does Shearer know?" from the typical England bashers.
      If we go on to score a whole lot of open play goals, then Uruguay score a few set pieces with Suarez involved, I expect some high level hypocrisy.

Well if you are hanging on the words of Shearer one of the thickest pundits going then fill your boots.

As for England at least they now have an identity,nothing wrong with being a set piece team - you got to play to your strengths and letā€™s face it Southgate is no tactical genius.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3047: Jun 27, 2018 05:19:25 pm
      Those that say it was only Panama, if it were South Korea, would you guys have said it was only South Korea? The South Korea who just beat Germany 2-0. Panama are 2 places above South Korea in the rankings also. That Germany result is making the 6-1 look a lot better.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3048: Jun 27, 2018 05:34:10 pm
      Those that say it was only Panama, if it were South Korea, would you guys have said it was only South Korea? The South Korea who just beat Germany 2-0. Panama are 2 places above South Korea in the rankings also. That Germany result is making the 6-1 look a lot better.

I'm sure those that think England can't win ( including me ) are pleased as punch the Germans are out. I'm beginning to wonder with no outstanding performances so far we may have a squeak.  ;D

Come on England  :lmao:

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3049: Jun 27, 2018 05:35:16 pm
      I'm sure those that think England can't win ( including me ) are pleased as punch the Germans are out. I'm beginning to wonder with no outstanding performances so far we may have a squeak.  ;D

Come on England  :lmao:

No chance of loosing via penalties against the Germans in the finals this time around ;D
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2018 05:48:29 pm by Shabs »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3050: Jun 27, 2018 05:37:00 pm
      No chance of loosing via penalties against the Germans in the finals thus ti e around ;D

:lmao: :lmao:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3051: Jun 27, 2018 05:47:27 pm
      If Serbia and Switzerland both win today, it will very great. Like to see Brazil out too.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3052: Jun 27, 2018 06:15:23 pm
      If Serbia and Switzerland both win today, it will very great. Like to see Brazil out too.

Ive backed Brazil to win world cup  so need England to lose tomorrow  to avoid playing them till final.  ???
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3053: Jun 27, 2018 06:35:06 pm
      Jesus starting ahead of Firmino again. Bobby is more than deserving to finally get a proper chance, shame.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #3054: Jun 28, 2018 09:51:37 pm
      England well beaten by Belgium. No real surprise. Attack had no focus with Kane on the bench. Southgate carrying on with 3 central defenders and 2 wing backs. Although TAA did well down the right it still shows that it's no replacement for a decent wide right player. Trippier was even less effective in the other games.

Don't like the shape. England now play Colombia. Colombia lost their opening game to Japan 2-1. So you would think England should beat them but we will probably make heavy weather of it.

Maguire again did well especially bringing the ball out of defence. Rashford was a bit disappointing, missed a great chance. Considering it was only TAA's second cap he did well enough, poor free kick on one occasion but played well.

All the expected teams are thru except Germany. So some quality games from now on in. The boredom factor might not be as high.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2018 09:58:25 pm by Harrisimo »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3055: Jun 28, 2018 10:21:07 pm
      Jesus starting ahead of Firmino again. Bobby is more than deserving to finally get a proper chance, shame.

they might just realise Bobby is far more important to the team than their show pony
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3056: Jun 28, 2018 10:26:04 pm
      they might just realise Bobby is far more important to the team than their show pony

Don't know what they see in the performances from either one of Neymar, Jesus and Willian so far that has them so set on benching Bobby. They've all failed to impress.
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #3057: Jul 03, 2018 10:36:46 pm
      Always Liverpool first and foremost but come on guys can we all get behind them don't mean delusional to their fragility but from someone who hasn't even bothered with England since owl face took over, lose your self in the positive feeling its a good place to be, dare to dream
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3058: Jul 03, 2018 11:52:25 pm
      Pleased for England - more for the fact that Henderson wasn't going to be the national scapegoat for having his penalty saved. Deserved it in the end though. Colombia could have played football if they wanted to, even without James, but most of the time they chose not, instead resorting to some bizarre behaviour on and off the field. Referee was completely out of his depth as well - he must not be used to refereeing these types of games in the US.

But yeah - so disappointed in Colombia after being so impressed with them 4 years ago and against Poland last week. England? Well they march on don't they and good luck to them.
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2018 11:56:31 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »

Quick Reply