Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Which of Liverpool's young hopefuls do you think will follow in the footsteps of Emiliano Insua and gain regular first-team football in 2009-10?

Daniel Pacheco
      13 (17.1%)
      Krisztian Nemeth
      15 (19.7%)
      Lauri Dalla Valle
      3 (3.9%)
      Christopher Buchtmann
      0 (0%)
      Jay Spearing
      34 (44.7%)
      Stephen Darby
      8 (10.5%)
      Mikel San Jose
      0 (0%)
      Martin Kelly
      3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Who Will Make The Step Up?

Read 7512 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Jun 13, 2009 04:01:14 pm
      Taken from .tv

Daniel Pacheco: Big things are expected of this former Barcelona prodigy, who made quite an impression with the senior stars last pre-season. Cited by Benitez as a potential first-teamer when Robbie Keane was sold, 2009-10 could be the breakthrough year for Pacheco.

Krisztian Nemeth: Injury curtailed the Hungarian's progress last term but there's no doubt he knows where the net is. His style, according to former reserves boss Gary Ablett, is similar to Kenny Dalglish.

Lauri Dalla Valle: The star of our FA Youth Cup run last season, the Finn bagged 20 goals in all competitions for the U18s. Clubs around Europe wanted him, and the 17-year-old actually spent three months at Inter Milan before eventually choosing Liverpool.

Christopher Buchtmann: One of the most talented players to grace the Academy league last term, the left-back cum winger was also a star among Germany's triumphant European U17 Championship team in May.

Jay Spearing: The energetic midfielder had a monopoly on man-of-the-match for the reserves last term, and heard the Kop sing his name for the first time during an impressive cameo against Real Madrid.

Stephen Darby: The Scouser has performed consistently at every level so far in his career and many believe he would make an able deputy to Alvaro Arbeloa.

Mikel San Jose: One of a host of talented centre-backs waiting in the wings, San Jose could benefit from Sami Hyypia's departure from Anfield. Has represented Spain U21s.

Martin Kelly: Those in the know believe this England U19 international has what it takes to play top flight football one day. The centre-back, who can also play on the right, spent the second half of 2008-09 on loan at Huddersfield, where he earned high praise from assistant boss Terry McDermott.

Maybe get a poll added?

My money would be on Spearing seeing as he has already played for the 1st team, but then again so have Darby and Kelly. They are all capable of breaking through and it would be great if they can all do it. Especially Pacheco, think we can expect great things from him!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,718 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Who Will Make The Step Up?
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2009 04:03:44 pm
      My choice is Spearing and exactly behind him Nemeth.

Spearing can do everything that a world class midfield can like Gerrard, alonso & Masch.

Nemeth needs to improve his left foot and he can help torres score goals.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2009 04:21:10 pm
      Darby most probably to get the chance,if we don't sign a right-back this season. Dani still seems a little light-weight,don't you think so?

I don't know why but I think between Nemeth,Pacheco and Dalla Valle.The Finn is the one who looks like a Prem player to me,maybe it's only because he scored 20 goals for the u-18 last season.
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2009 05:27:53 pm
      Spearing is defintely ready to appear in the premiership. What was particulalry impressive about his performance against Real Madrid was that he showed no sign of being overawed by the whole experience. He was getting stuck into challenges and was always keen to receive the ball. Whenever he did get the ball he made some good passes.

I doubt Dalla Valle will not get a look in this seaosn as Rafa will proabably prefer to slowly nature his prodigious talents. My money would be Pacheo to playing a few carling cup games.

Darby seems to be Mr.Consistent and will be a useful squad player.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2009 05:43:24 pm
      A lot of it depends on who we buy really, we buy a RB then Darby chances decrease or buy CB then San Jose/Kelly chances decrease, buy a striker Nemeth and Pacheco chances decrease so really isn't too much about the player but more so to do with who Rafa brings in.

Spearing is the best bet because it isn't likely that we will buy another CM though I still think he won't get that many games besides Carling Cup and odd UCL game where the result doesn't matter or the fact we need to put English players on the bench.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2009 06:30:23 pm
      I don't know who will get the chance but I believe most, if not all of them, are more than capable of making the step up in the future.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2009 06:43:29 pm
      Poll added. I voted Spearing.

I think that Rafa is careful enough in his preperation of our youngsters that the one that plays the most will be one who has already featured last season. Spearing is Liverpool born, and seems to have the skill and determination to succeed, and has had some run-outs for the first team. I could see him having a good few games next season, though all will depend on the form or injuries of our already talent-filled midfield.

For the moment Darby would be a good outside bet, as we haven't yet signed a backup for Arbeloa. Depending on how the transfers go and Arbeloa's fitness, he could be called upon more than we expect.

Apart from these two, I'd obviously like to see our attacking options get a chance to prove themselves. Perhaps a year to early for some, it's hard to say, but Buchtmann, Nemeth and Pacheco have all impressed last season and forthe youth teams of their respectful countries.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Jun 13, 2009 06:46:15 pm
      If I'm being honest, I don't think anyone will get regular first team football.

I guess the closest one to getting that though is Spearing. Maybe Rafa will have more confidence in Darby too next season if Arbeloa can't play but having said that if Degen stays then I can't really see him getting a look in.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #8: Jun 13, 2009 07:42:43 pm
      Nemeth is my choice to come through and try to put injuries behind him
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #9: Jun 13, 2009 09:18:31 pm

To sitting in the technical area.

Cos there's no way none of the above will be starters in the league next season. FACT

I'd start Nemeth in the league cup early doors though.
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 13, 2009 09:20:52 pm
      I think is time to Nemeth but we have to wait to the end of the transfer market to see if we sign someone in that position.

Spearing is progressing too but he has a lot of more competition.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #11: Jun 13, 2009 09:22:37 pm

As our new spice boy by looking at all the avatars on here!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Jun 13, 2009 09:28:44 pm
      One of the most exiting of the kids is Pacheco, I just hope he gets the chance to prove his worth, another is Spearing and out of all the kids he looks ready, another I hope who will gets his chance sooner rather than later....
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Jun 14, 2009 07:45:08 am
      I voted Spearing.
      He's shown in his few appearances and in the reserves that he has quality. Darby is also worth a shout as are the likes of Pacheco, Nemeth, Martin Kelly etc.

Dalla Valle and Buchtmann are only a matter of time, but they aren't quite ready yet.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #14: Jun 14, 2009 07:56:31 am
      I voted Nemeth.

At the moment I highly doubt that Spearing can break into the first team. There are already 3 world class players in front of him, Gerrard/Alonso/Mascherano, and Lucas is just seemingly set to make sure he produces a good season. I've been impressed with Jay, but I still feel its a little to early for him to make the breakthrough especially at the moment where we are looking at a good challenge for the title next season (and win it of course).

I think Nemeth will get his chance on the bench next season. Ngog at the moment isn't ready as well, so yes I rather they have a good switch on the bench week in, week out.

Like Eem said, Dalla Valle and Buchtmann are already looking class, but ain't ready yet. Personally I rate Buchtmann higher than Dalla Valle, but both have good potential.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Jun 14, 2009 08:04:36 am
      Considering Spearing, by making the step up last season, has already won the race; I'll take either Pacheco or Darby to join him.

My vote (narrowly) goes to Pacheco.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #16: Jun 14, 2009 01:21:38 pm
      I say Darby.

I cant see us winning a bidding with Chelsea for Johnson so we could be left with Arbeloa and hopefully Degen (hope he stays fit and we get a season out of him). That way I can see Darby getting a run out the same way Insua did last season. I like Darby, he's a good useful player for the reserves, I hoped he would get his chance against last season but he wont have to wait much longer hopefully.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #17: Jun 14, 2009 01:27:57 pm
      My pick is Spearing, he looked a touch of class when playing with the first 11. Although I acknowledge the fact our midfield has enough players to see him not featuring there. I agree with most, Darby is the most likely, and hopefully he can push Arbeloa and solidify his place.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Jun 14, 2009 01:59:39 pm
      Darby for me. If we dont get a right back then i cant see him not playing TBH.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #19: Jun 14, 2009 02:51:42 pm
      Spearing, would love to see him come through!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: Jun 14, 2009 04:01:07 pm
      i votedfor spearing,although i think were pretty much ok in midfield, out of all of them he just looks and play's as if he's been there for yrs, now that w know the transfer kitty is not as it should be again,it would be ideal if we could slot in 1 or 2 from the reserves, so, what are the weaker points then? obviously a rb for cover,a cb, a winger and someone up top with nando, someone we all knw once said famously, you can't win nothing with kids, that sadly was proved wrong, is there any reason that can't be done again, we have the best spine in the business imo, we have most of the pieces in place, it is thought rafa has around £25-£30m at his disposal, i hope he pulls all the stops out to get david silva, and maybe a experienced cb with pl knowledge, and use the kids to fill the gaps,they in turn if given a chance would gain in confidence playing along side established players and also learning all the time, rafa will make the decision, i for one trust his judgement, so lets just see what happens.

ynwa  irwt
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 18, 2009 12:01:22 am
      I voted Nemeth.

He seems the striker out of them all that is the most mature and ready for the step up. I wasn't impressed by Ngog last season, and I think he needs a bit of time before being put in first team again. I would like some of the youngsters (Spearing, Nemeth, Darby) to be regulars on the bench in the cups to give them some first team action, even if it is only 15 minutes a game.

I do love Nemeth as a striker though :)
      3-star-wool
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts | -11 
      Reply #22: Jun 18, 2009 10:59:44 am
      "Spearing can do everything that a world class midfield can like Gerrard, alonso & Masch."

If you mean, breathe, eat, walk, talk, sleep... yes he can do everything that world class midfielders can do.

If you mean can he play football like a world class midfielder... no of course he can't. He is the strongest player in the reserves, has a solid all-round game and if adds a little more stregnth this summer, is ready to be a squad player for next season.

World class status comes through not only playing at the highest level, but delivering there. I watch the reserves regularly, and the standard is pretty poor. Spearing has been a revelation this year, but at a poor level.

When he's played two full seasons for the first team and got 20 caps for England, it might be worth thinking about the term "world class" then.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #23: Jun 18, 2009 11:55:16 am
      Jay Spearing. Seems to be a leading contender if there ever will be one, based on Rafa's selection previously.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #24: Jun 18, 2009 04:03:53 pm
      Nemeth is my choice to come through and try to put injuries behind him
      yes mate,mine too.I think Nemeth is a good striker and deserves to prove himself in the first team.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #25: Jun 18, 2009 06:50:55 pm
      I voted Spearing.

Would be good for him, Pacheco, Nemeth and Darby to get a good run in the Carling Cup next season. Maybe introduce them in the EPL games too if we're well in front and cruising in some games.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: Jun 18, 2009 06:57:43 pm
      I know its not exactly the subject of this thread but in the very few games I watched from the youngsters (unfortunatly I dont have e-season ticket), Butchmann was the one who excited me the most. We seem to have a great prospect on him, but he is too young and probably wont be seen in the 1st team for a while yet.
      « Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009 07:13:47 pm by Diego LFC »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #27: Jun 18, 2009 07:00:42 pm
      Buchtman One To Watch Says Mellor

We've asked five experts to pick a player to watch for 2009-10, with their selections featuring on .tv all this week. Today, former Red and Academy graduate Neil Mellor chooses a young German with a bright future.
      One To Watch

Player profile: German left-back Christopher Buchtmann was named among UEFA's top 10 stars of the future in May 2009.

The accolade coincided with his starring role in Germany's European U17 Championship triumph.

Not that anyone at Liverpool needed telling about his undoubted talent. Buchtmann played a key part in the U18s reaching the FA Youth Cup final in 2008-09 and was thus promoted to Melwood after just a year at the Academy.

Christopher Buchtmann

Neil Mellor says: "From what I have seen of Buchtmann he seems very composed with good energy and a great engine which all modern day footballers need to have.

"He can play left-back or in midfield - which is similar to the role Stephen Warnock plays.

"He also played well in the recent games in the UEFA U17s European Championships for Germany and that is bound to give more confidence. Liverpool's FA Youth Cup run will also give him added belief from playing in big stadiums in front of big crowds.

"Moving to Melwood to train with the reserves is a big step and it is important that he works hard in training and keeps getting noticed by the coaches. It is also important that he is outgoing and not too shy as you have to fit in with the lads already there."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164754090618-0909.htm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #28: Jun 18, 2009 07:01:35 pm
      Dalla Valla One To Watch Says Fairclough

We've asked five experts to name a player to watch for 2009-10, with their selections featuring on .tv all this week. Today, Kop legend and LFC TV reserves pundit David Fairclough picks a striker who'll start at Melwood in pre-season.
      One To Watch

Player profile: Finnish hotshot Lauri Dalla Valle is one of the most exciting prospects at Liverpool.

The striker certainly knows where the net is, firing 20 goals in 28 appearances for the U18s after arriving from boyhood side JIPPO in 2008.

A host of European clubs were interested in Dalla Valle prior to his arrival on Merseyside. Chelsea were rumoured to be circling, while the teenager actually spent three months at Inter Milan before deciding to return to JIPPO.

International recognition has also been forthcoming, with Dalla Valle scoring goals at U16, U17 and U19 level.

However, the youngster could yet choose to represent the Azzurri because of his Italian father.

He is contracted to Liverpool until June 2011.

lauri dalla valle under 18s under-18s reserves youth cup academy

David Fairclough says: "He is a natural goalscorer - he has that knack of getting in positions and taking chances that you just can't teach.

"What else does he offer? Well he's deceptively mobile and has a bit of pace, which is so important for modern strikers.

"I am loathe to compare youngsters to players gone by, so I won't do that to him. But I would say that, of the young strikers we've had at the club over the last decade or so, he's right up there.

"I looked at him last year and thought he was ready to make the step up to reserve team football. I'm sure that will happen now and within a few months of him playing at this level we will know how special he is."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164723090615-1028.htm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #29: Jun 18, 2009 07:02:36 pm
       Amoo One To Watch Says Hunter

We've asked five experts to name a player to watch for 2009-10, with their selections featuring on .tv all this week. Today, our very own U18s, reserves and first-team commentator Steve Hunter takes his pick.
      One To Watch

Player profile: David Amoo is a powerful right winger whose Liverpool journey began in 2007.

A host of clubs sought his signature but the Millwall youngster chose to continue his football education at the Academy.

Two years later Amoo was promoted to Melwood after a 12-goal campaign which included a Kop end winner against Chelsea U18s en route to the FA Youth Cup final.

Amoo, who can also play up front, once represented London as a sprinter in the English Schools National Track and Field Championships.

david amoo

Steve Hunter says: "Amoo is a right winger who on his day can be hard to stop and a real nightmare for defenders.

"He has all the attributes to be a top player: strength, pace, directness and goals. A natural athlete, he has made real progress since being picked up from Millwall.

"I can tell you he's a level-headed and nice bloke. He wants to succeed and will be looking to get more games under his belt at reserve team level in 2009-10.

"During the FA Youth Cup campaign last season Amoo was a key part of the team and showed us what he can do on the big stage.

"The final against Arsenal was disappointing for all concerned but the storming run he produced at the Emirates which led to Alex Kacaniklic's goal showed everyone just what he is capable of.

"This season could be a big campaign for Amoo and there is a lot more to come from him, that's for sure."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164737090616-0926.htm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #30: Jun 18, 2009 07:03:44 pm
      Kelly One To Watch Says Randels

We've asked five experts to pick a player to watch for 2009-10, with their selections featuring on .tv all this week. Today, LFC Magazine journalist Dave Randles chooses an England youth international who's likely to feature in pre-season.
      One To Watch

Player profile: England U19 centre-back Martin Kelly graduated to Melwood in the summer of 2007.

The tall but elegant defender, who missed almost two years of his Academy development due to a back problem, can play across the back four.

"The injury has made me more determined," says Kelly. "Having those two years out meant I missed so much from my development. I was lucky to get a chance to come to Melwood."

Kelly broke into Gary Ablett's reserves during 2007-08, helping them win the league.

His senior debut came as a substitute in a Champions League clash with PSV on December 9, 2008.

Three months later the youngster was loaned to Huddersfield Town, where he featured seven times, scored a first professional goal against Walsall and earned high praise from assistant boss Terry McDermott.

Martin Kelly

Dave Randles says: "Kelly's enjoyed a prominent rise after a back injury which threatened his career. He was promoted very quickly from the Academy to Melwood and has really impressed for the reserves.

"Who knows how close to the first team he would now be if injury hadn't thwarted his progress for two years.

"He's impressed for England U19s and there were very good reports from Huddersfield manager Lee Clark following his loan spell at the end of last season.

"Rafa has intimated that the likes of Kelly and Mikel San Jose will get a chance in pre-season following Sami Hyypia's departure.

"If he grasps this opportunity it could save the club millions in transfer fees, and that's money which could be spent elsewhere on the squad."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164722090617-0849.htm
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #31: Jun 18, 2009 07:18:02 pm
      I'm confident that Kelly, Amoo, Dalla Valle and Buchtmann will all be able to make the step up.
      Kelly indeed has bags of ability (a regular in the England U19), but still has a few years of development before he's ready.
      Amoo, Dalla Valle and Buchtmann all are showing promise and potential, but they are all very young, so I think Spearing is the most likely to make the step up next season. But in 3 years of so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more of these starlets in and around the first team.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #32: Jun 19, 2009 10:45:21 am
      With all the transfer talk over right backs, I think that Darby may end up being a big player for us next year tbh. Good player too. I suppose they feel Insua has broken through then.. And I suppose he has done actually
      96RedAngels
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #33: Jun 19, 2009 04:20:53 pm
      I'd go with a few actually. Lauri Dalla Valle firstly because I believe anyone with that amount of goalscoring talent should at least be given a chance to see how they perform. Nemeth and Spearing next because although I think Nemeth is a little lightweight, I still think his contributions could be invaluable, and Spearing because of his potential as a midfielder.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #34: Jun 19, 2009 04:34:07 pm
      I'd try them all out in the league cup Pacheco and Dalle Valla up front
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #35: Jun 19, 2009 04:52:27 pm
      What about Plessis?
      kopfan
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts |
      Reply #36: Jun 19, 2009 05:23:59 pm
      JAY SPEARING.. he will come on and become the local star.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #37: Jun 20, 2009 01:25:58 am
      Jay can do it, would be happy for him to be pushed to play some premier league games next season. we need to see more of him, he reminds me of a young steven gerrard.....
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #38: Jun 20, 2009 01:53:12 am
      Jay Spearing got my vote. He looks like a good prospect and has been brilliant for the reserves. He looked very good against Real and was chasing and keen on getting the ball back. Plus, he's a local lad.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #39: Jun 20, 2009 02:04:51 am
      Well i put my bet on Nemeth. I'd really love to see Spearing and Pacheco in the first team
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #40: Jun 22, 2009 02:10:56 pm
      Whichever of them it is, I hope some do get promoted to the first team cuz with it looking like Rafa is not going to sign too many players this summer it would be good to see some newer faces who can help our title bid.

Taken from .tv

Daniel Pacheco: Big things are expected of this former Barcelona prodigy, who made quite an impression with the senior stars last pre-season. Cited by Benitez as a potential first-teamer when Robbie Keane was sold, 2009-10 could be the breakthrough year for Pacheco.

Krisztian Nemeth: Injury curtailed the Hungarian's progress last term but there's no doubt he knows where the net is. His style, according to former reserves boss Gary Ablett, is similar to Kenny Dalglish.

Lauri Dalla Valle: The star of our FA Youth Cup run last season, the Finn bagged 20 goals in all competitions for the U18s. Clubs around Europe wanted him, and the 17-year-old actually spent three months at Inter Milan before eventually choosing Liverpool.

Christopher Buchtmann: One of the most talented players to grace the Academy league last term, the left-back cum winger was also a star among Germany's triumphant European U17 Championship team in May.

Jay Spearing: The energetic midfielder had a monopoly on man-of-the-match for the reserves last term, and heard the Kop sing his name for the first time during an impressive cameo against Real Madrid.

Stephen Darby: The Scouser has performed consistently at every level so far in his career and many believe he would make an able deputy to Alvaro Arbeloa.

Mikel San Jose: One of a host of talented centre-backs waiting in the wings, San Jose could benefit from Sami Hyypia's departure from Anfield. Has represented Spain U21s.

Martin Kelly: Those in the know believe this England U19 international has what it takes to play top flight football one day. The centre-back, who can also play on the right, spent the second half of 2008-09 on loan at Huddersfield, where he earned high praise from assistant boss Terry McDermott.

Maybe get a poll added?

My money would be on Spearing seeing as he has already played for the 1st team, but then again so have Darby and Kelly. They are all capable of breaking through and it would be great if they can all do it. Especially Pacheco, think we can expect great things from him!

Hehe... cum :P

Quick Reply