Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread 08/09

Read 36222 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread 08/09
      Reply #414: May 23, 2009 08:07:38 pm
      NEMETH SENDS RESERVES TO SEMI-FINAL
      Steve Hunter 23 May 2009
          Krisztian Nemeth has been in good form to help Liverpool Reserves reach the semi-finals of the prestigious Terborg U20 tournament in Holland.
      The Hungarian striker has scored vital goals against Gremio and PSV Eindhoven to set up a last four clash with talented Brazilian outfit Atletico Mineiro.

The tournament is unusual in that it includes club sides and international teams.

Matches are played on a 20 minutes each way basis and two teams in each group go through to the semi-finals.

In their opening game Gary Ablett's side beat Lucas Leiva's former club Gremio 2-0 with Nemeth and Mikel San Jose on target.

They lost 1-0 to Ajax in their second game before drawing 0-0 with Egypt. Nemeth then scored a penalty and Gerardo Bruna added a superb free-kick to see off PSV Eindhoven 2-0.

Ablett's side meet Atletico Mineiro in Sunday's semi-final and the winners will meet Ajax or Australia in the final.

"We have done quite well and there has been some pleasing performances," Ablett told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It will be a good test for us to play the Brazilian team and hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves."
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #415: May 28, 2009 04:04:21 pm
      Ablett To Leave At The End Of The Season

Meanwhile, the Reds' reserve-team boss Gary Ablett, who has been in the post for three seasons, will leave the club at the end of the month.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5352080,00.html

It's only that one sentence because the story is about Babel staying, but it does come as a bit of a kick in the teeth to Ablett leaving the post. OK we had a bad season this year, but overall he's done a pretty decent job with our second string. With his guidance a few of the youngsters have made the step up this season and no doubt will establish themselves as first team regulars in the coming seasons.

It does, however, add more fuel to the stories linking Dalglish back with the club. Kenny may now be asked to take on the reserves as well as having some say in the teams below him (youth set up) and also the team above him (first team).
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #416: May 28, 2009 04:19:11 pm
      Best of luck to Gary Ablett in the future.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #417: May 28, 2009 04:20:25 pm
      All the best for the future Gary. Hope he finds success.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #418: Jun 02, 2009 01:44:10 pm
      PACHECO SHINES IN HOLLAND
      Steve Hunter 02 June 2009
          Daniel Pacheco was in impressive form as Liverpool Reserves reached the quarter-final of the International Cor Groenewegen Tournament in Holland.
      The Spanish striker scored five goals including one sensational Xabi Alonso-esque effort from the halfway line against Danish side FC Copenhagen.

Included in Gary Ablett's squad for the tournament were Youth Cup starlets Lauri Dalle Valle, David Amoo, Thomas Ince and Alex Kacaniklic.

In their first game a young Reds team beat AZ Alkmaar 4-0 with Pacheco (2), Dalle Valle and Icelandic midfielder Victor Palsson on target.

Dalle Valle was again on target in the second game but Portugese outfit Belenenses edged it 2-1.

Pacheco then scored from inside his own half in a 2-0 win over FC Copenhagen, which also featured a goal from Swedish winger Alex Kacaniklic.

A 2-0 defeat to FC Utrecht then followed before Pacheco scored a brilliant free-kcik in a 1-1 draw with FC Twente.

The former Barcelona ace was again on target as the Reds beat Vitesse Arnhem 1-0 in their final game but it wasn't enough to make the semi-final.
      ----------------------------

Brilliant! I hope we see Pacheco in the first team this coming season. Really looking forward to pre season now.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #419: Jun 02, 2009 02:01:38 pm
      Bright future for Dani, one of his disappointments during last year's pre-season was his finishing but it looks like that's sorted an all now. I fully expect him to be around the first team squad again.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #420: Jun 02, 2009 04:26:02 pm
      I hope he and Nemeth can make the pre season training squad this summer. Both of them need the experience mixing about with the first team lads and also it will serve them well in the future. Dani is from the famed Barca acedemy which probably signals that he has a bright future ahead of him. Just hope that together with a couple of local lads like Kelly, Darby and Spearing, they'll be hanging in pre-season training which would do them a world of good.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #421: Jun 02, 2009 05:29:37 pm
      Nemeth is going to need a great pre-season to get into the squad, with N'Gog already ahead of him in the pecking order and with us being linked to strikers and the fact we play a one striker system it is going to be tough. It is a shame he was hurt during the first of the year where he could of got some playing time in the Carling Cup.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #422: Jun 02, 2009 06:34:12 pm
      I hope he and Nemeth can make the pre season training squad this summer. Both of them need the experience mixing about with the first team lads and also it will serve them well in the future. Dani is from the famed Barca acedemy which probably signals that he has a bright future ahead of him. Just hope that together with a couple of local lads like Kelly, Darby and Spearing, they'll be hanging in pre-season training which would do them a world of good.

He'll be at the U19s European Championships during July. Hopefully he'll come on against Atletico.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #423: Jun 16, 2009 04:12:40 pm
      Youngster Extends Loan

Liverpool have extended the loan of Hungarian youngster Zsolt Poloskei until the end of the 2009-10 season. 
      The midfielder arrived in the summer of 2008 on loan from MTK Hungaria but spent the entire campaign on the sidelines with an injury.

The 19-year-old will now hope to impress in John McMahon's reserve team squad.

Meanwhile, the Reds have announced that youngsters Ronald Huth, Godwin Antwi, Miki Roque and Gary MacKay Steven have been released.
      Liverpoolfc.tv would like to wish them all the very best for the future.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164756090616-1525.htm

McMahon doesn't seem to be wasting much time on who he wants to keep and who he wants to go.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #424: Jun 16, 2009 04:20:29 pm
      Poloskei has had a really bad time with injury last season and hasn't been able to show what he can do. Only fair that he get a proper chance. No real surprises in the releases really.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #425: Jun 19, 2009 01:35:56 pm
      Liverpool FC Reserves will play home fixtures at Tranmere's Prenton Park next season
      LIVERPOOL Reserves will play their home fixtures at Tranmere's Prenton Park next season.

New second string boss John McMahon will take the Reds to the club where he spent eight years as coach before moving to Shrewsbury Town.
      He said: "I'm delighted we've been able to come to this arrangement with Tranmere Rovers.

"I spent eight very happy years working at Tranmere; it is a great club with great facilities and I hope we will see some good results for the Liverpool Reserves."

Earlier this week Rovers unveiled former Liverpool duo John Barnes and Jason McAteer as their new management team.

Tranmere chief executive Mick Horton said: "We are delighted to be able to host Liverpool's home reserve fixtures next season and look forward to welcoming them to Prenton Park.

"It will be a good opportunity for any Wirral based Liverpool supporters to come to Prenton Park and watch some of their talented youngsters in action." 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/06/19/liverpool-fc-reserves-will-play-home-fixtures-at-tranmere-s-prenton-park-next-season-100252-23923974/

:-\ Dont really know what to make of this? I wonder if poor attendances at Anfield for the reserves have any affect on this? I just think that the fact some of the new lads in the reserves will get their first taste of Anfield when Rafa calss them up. As if there wasn't enough pressure on them!

I'm a bit disappointed for some of the lads now.  :(
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #426: Jun 19, 2009 02:47:18 pm
      McMahon played at Prenton Park, I think, and with Barnes and McAteer now running Tranmere it's no real surprise that all three have used their connections within the two clubs to make this happen.

I think Barnes will be looking at a few of our youngsters to peruse his assault for a playoff place this season and this is a good way for him to get a good look at them.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #427: Jun 19, 2009 02:53:28 pm
      McMahon played at Prenton Park, I think, and with Barnes and McAteer now running Tranmere it's no real surprise that all three have used their connections within the two clubs to make this happen.

I think Barnes will be looking at a few of our youngsters to peruse his assault for a playoff place this season and this is a good way for him to get a good look at them.

I think you're right and a few of the lads will end up on loan there or sold to Tranmere. No doubt it will be good for Tranmere and good for the relations between the two clubs but will it be good for the reserves? I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #428: Jun 19, 2009 03:01:10 pm
      :lmao:

F***ing loving this.  A group of "real fans" as they put it, are going to boycott the home games because of Barnes and McAteer, and now we're using their ground for reserve matches!

Brilliant.  Just brilliant.  :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #429: Jun 19, 2009 03:28:28 pm
      I think you're right and a few of the lads will end up on loan there or sold to Tranmere. No doubt it will be good for Tranmere and good for the relations between the two clubs but will it be good for the reserves? I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

I don't see too much difference at playing at Prenton Park to the Halliwell Jones Stadium where we were playing last year, at least Prenton Park is a football ground not a rugby league stadium.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #430: Jun 19, 2009 03:31:48 pm

F***ing loving this.  A group of "real fans" as they put it, are going to boycott the home games because of Barnes and McAteer, and now we're using their ground for reserve matches!

Brilliant.  Just brilliant.  :D

Bitters.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #431: Jun 19, 2009 03:36:11 pm
      I don't see too much difference at playing at Prenton Park to the Halliwell Jones Stadium where we were playing last year, at least Prenton Park is a football ground not a rugby league stadium.

Good point! Next step, Anfield! :P
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #432: Jun 19, 2009 03:51:42 pm
      Its a lot closer for a lot of us than Widnes or Warrington or wherever it was...

As for Rovers fans, ive never ever seen one, so its hard to judge them   he he
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #433: Jun 19, 2009 03:55:11 pm
      Its a lot closer for a lot of us than Widnes or Warrington or wherever it was...

As for Rovers fans, ive never ever seen one, so its hard to judge them   he he

Worse than Evertonians, & Mancs put together.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #434: Jun 19, 2009 10:45:11 pm

Warrington - a place you can go to without having to pay to go through a F***ing tunnel!!

Suppose it's good for the lads to play in a football stadium now though. And I expect the attendances to be better than the Halliwell. Court, you can be the official reserves reporter now fella.  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #435: Jun 19, 2009 11:45:57 pm
      Going up to Warrington on the train was a dump though Kenny, although once getting there it was a nice enough area. Nice kebab shop right over the road from Warrington Central and the taxis right outside.

Going to Birkenhead on the train? Ah bollocks to it, do you really wanna be sat on the Asda Kop? (I think that's still the name of "their" Kop - it was a few years ago).

Didn't the reserves have their pre-season fixtures announced the other day an all?

Quick Reply