Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. You can only keep one - who would it be?

Javier Mascherano
      (31%)
      Xabi Alonso
      (69%)

Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?

Read 9671 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?
      Jun 18, 2009 03:56:46 am
      Speculation has been absolutely rife about these two packing their bags and jumping the plane to Spain.

Xabi's been linked with Real Madrid since last season, and the speculation just won't seem to go away.  Mascherano's agent is F***ing around and has apparently held talks for Javier to move on to Barcelona.  

Rafa has come out and categorically issued a huge 'hands off' warning on our central midfield maestro.  But there's one big question, who would be the worst loss to the side?  I don't want to see either go, because we're building a world class side - and we're only only 1 or 2 players off being as strong as a for example; Barcelona side.

And don't forget to vote in the poll above this post. ^^

Discuss...
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 08:20:03 pm by Court LFC »
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Re: Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?
      Reply #1: Jun 18, 2009 04:25:48 am
      I would personally have to go with Xabi. Losing him would leave a big gap of creativity and ability. We can always appreciate Masch's tackles, enthusiam, and one time hits. But Xabi brings to the fore a range of passing, and movement of the midfield; he creates a lot of space for Torres and Gerrard to get in and exploit.

We would certainly be going backwards losing any of the two. But I think Xabi would be harder to replace as oppose to Masch, in all honesty some would say, occasionally Masch is a bit of a liability but then again. When we factor in those clinching and hard headed tackles. We can accepting the idea of him not getting it right all the time. Both are exceedingly good at what they do, but both the influence and range of what Xabi does, would take it for me.

Xabi would be a bigger loss, Lucas one could say is a suitable replacement for Mascherano.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Jun 18, 2009 05:20:31 am
      Xabi Alonso is a bigger loss. He has the ability and skill and vision to pick out his mates and those are assets.

In my opinion, Steven Gerrard can do Mascherano's job.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Jun 18, 2009 06:21:16 am
      I would personally have to go with Xabi. Losing him would leave a big gap of creativity and ability. We can always appreciate Masch's tackles, enthusiam, and one time hits. But Xabi brings to the fore a range of passing, and movement of the midfield; he creates a lot of space for Torres and Gerrard to get in and exploit.

Can't really add anything more.
      rassid_
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 18, 2009 06:25:57 am
      for me...to lose this two player is a huge mistake for liv,cause this two player have a different influent for the team...alonso create more change for attacking side and also made the winger more lifely, for mach is a person that can handle the defending perfectly, mach covered almost all the ground when defending....so...to lose this two player is a bad decision for liv...we can try to offload a few player that cant made impact....ynwa ;)
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 18, 2009 07:09:59 am
      I dont want too see any of these 2 players leave,its taken Rafa 5 yrs to build a title winning team and Liverpool look like a complete team now.They say no one is irreplaceable but losing either one of these two players would cause a huge dent in the Liverpool team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Jun 18, 2009 07:31:22 am
      Its been shown, we lose fluidity, creativeness and structure when Xabi is out. Has to be him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jun 18, 2009 07:37:34 am
      I'm a huge fan of both players, but a player like Xabier Alonso is harder to replace. There are good tacklers out there who could do a decent job for us while I cant think of many players who defend, create and control the game like Alonso does. Especially with our current formation, with Gerrard playing somehow like a 2nd striker, Alonso became even more important, cause he is the main player to start our plays from behind.
      Red Uruk-hai
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 18, 2009 07:38:29 am
      For me id hate to loose Mascherano, as iv just had his name and number printed on my new away shirt.

But realy i hope they both stay. ::)
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #9: Jun 18, 2009 09:27:59 am
      We need them both to stay, its fu*cking doing my head in all this sniffing around our players. Rafa has categoracly stated that either of them are not for sale so if he means it then that should be the end of it. If its down to their agents then id love the players to sack them if theyre operating without the players knowledge. Its a bad lot and just causes unrestand uncertainty in the ranks. If any of it is to be believed im starting to think just who WILL be here come August. And now i see Barca are sniffing around Reina coz Valdes is stalling over a new deal, not worried there though, i think Pepes settled and has morals and principles. Still i wish these clubs would do one. :f_steam:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Jun 18, 2009 09:47:40 am
      Very hard choice, love them both.

Have to say Xabi though, for reasons already explained.
      3-star-wool
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts | -11 
      Reply #11: Jun 18, 2009 10:34:48 am
      Mascherano without a doubt for me. I think the voting would have been quite different a year ago before Alonso's best season since being at the club, but I think Masch's consistency is absolutely critical to this club.

I also think Alonso maybe "due" a move, whereas Masch is "due" some football/lifestyle stability.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #12: Jun 18, 2009 10:39:35 am
      Losing Alonso would be a bigger blow.

Passing ability and creativity like Alonso has is hard to find in this game.

Mascherano is infinitely more replaceable.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #13: Jun 18, 2009 10:56:43 am
      I'd have to go for Mascherano. An in-form Mascherano will stop attackers with the quickness. I like is intense commitment to the game and his die-hard approach to going after attackers even when he's been beaten.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #14: Jun 18, 2009 11:06:39 am
      do you think lucas could step up and replace mascherano?

masch need's to show sum loyalty to rafa and liverpool who rescued him from his west ham nightmare,funny mascherano's wife was not unsettled in east london.

xabi stay's.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Jun 18, 2009 11:09:07 am
      In my opinion, Steven Gerrard can do Mascherano's job.

Lets be honest, with the exception of maybe Reina, Stevie can pretty much do anyone on the pitch's job! ;)

This is a really really tough question. On one hand, Masch has never really had a major dip in form like Xabi, but on the other it would be a lot easier to find another defensive midfielder than someone with the ability to pick out a pass like Xabi...........still undecided for now.....
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #16: Jun 18, 2009 11:34:37 am
      I'll be very surprised if any one of these players leave us, I get the feeling Rafa can be very persuasive and for that reason they will both stay, at least for one more season. Masha's position is one that breaks the play up, gets amongst the opposition and as well as doing that he is a good passer he keeps it simple and for me he's the best in the world at his position and the only player of his type that can get near him is Gattuso.

Xabi has a lot going for him also but at the other end where he is a creative player and another who we can't do without, we let Alonso go at our peril, his raking passes, his vision is second to none, he has it all, his enthusiasm is felt by all and it must influence his team mates. Both players are a part in the whole, take one out and the team suffers, I cannot pick one over the other so I say why not keep both and let Dosana go instead....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Jun 18, 2009 11:36:33 am
      Really tough this one, hate to even bear the thought of it.

For me though, I'd lean towards keeping Masch. For me he protects the back 4 like no other DM I have ever seen. He runs like crazy and just seems to be all over the pitch wherever we need him.

As much as I'd hate to lose Alonso, Stevie has the vision and the passing skills to go back there and do the job Xabi does. Then with the millions we get from selling Xabi we buy David Villa to sit in the hole behind Torres.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #18: Jun 18, 2009 11:41:27 am
      For reasons explained above I would have to say Xabi we would really struggle to replace.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #19: Jun 18, 2009 11:45:49 am
      Tought question and a tough decision to make. With the current state of the team, I think our forward play is pretty good so... I will still be keen to retain a reliable destroyer in front the back four. I am emotionally torn!!!!
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #20: Jun 18, 2009 11:53:02 am
      One is no god without the other really ,  without masch xabi hasn't the pace to go back and defend from counter attack and without Xabi, Masch hasn't the creativity or passing range to provie a defnse stpliting pass he can only make a  bombing run forward . Xabi isn't that fast but when you're that good at passing you don't need to be . Together both these players give whatever you need in a complete midfeild ,long range passing , breaking up counter attack ,tacking , creatvty , smooth flowing footbal and all around agression, it's the best in the so selling either one of them would be a fatal mistake . It makes me sad reading this thread its so hard to choose between our master class passer and our monster .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Jun 18, 2009 01:32:15 pm
      Horrible question. But on the basis that, signing new players aside,  Spearing could be groomed to be the terrier type that Masch is or Plessis might become a top defensive midfielder Id rather lose Masch. No one in the current squad can do what Xabi does.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22: Jun 18, 2009 01:44:59 pm
      Love Xabi and was one of the first to vote for him in the poll. Had an amazing season.

On this one....

Monster Mash.

Saw him play in Toulouse summer 2007. Didnt think much then but watching him now he protects the back four brilliantly.
      Turns defence into attack in seconds. Reads the game brilliantly.

Xabi a genius but Id go for the Mash.

I would never want to have to make the choice.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #23: Jun 18, 2009 01:48:28 pm
      I went for Masch he is the best in the world at what he does and a good example of what he does for the team was when he was suspended against chelsea in the CL.
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 18, 2009 01:57:36 pm
      Both are world class. Alonso has recovered from a dip in form, and from what I have seen in Confederations Cup, is running the show instead of Xavi. His passing is one of the best in the world, and he is the master of the simple, right pass needed.

Mascherano; is for me, the best defensive midfielder in the world. The only player I could see we could even replace him is Michael Essien, and we wouldn't be able to afford him. He cuts up play brilliantly, has the heart of a lion, and is essential in defending our back four.

For me, I think Mascherano would have to stay. He is younger, and less replaceable. If Alonso went, we could get another world class CM, or Gerrard pops down and like someone said earlier, we put the money in for another top class striker.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,154 posts | 3385 
      Reply #25: Jun 18, 2009 03:09:31 pm
      It'd be a bigger loss to lose Xabi as he has a god given talent to put a ball wherever he wants to. His composure is fantastic and he just makes the team tick. As good as Masch is, there are others in the world who can do what he can - maybe not as well as Masch, but can certainly do it. Whereas not too many people in this world can do what Xabi does.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #26: Jun 18, 2009 03:40:42 pm
      I refuse to vote on this we need them both why not have a poll on Xabi and Stevie or which wheel of the car you would want a puncture. We now have the Best Squad for 20 years which Rafa has moulded together take 1 piece away and it isnt as strong.I appreciate the work Mascherano does which goes un noticed and I appreciate Xabi's vision and pure class if we loose either of them we are in trouble.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #27: Jun 18, 2009 03:45:01 pm
      I'm really split on this so I don't really know who would be a worst loss.

Both are unique central midfielders, they have their own traits, be it defensive or offensive, and therefore I cannot really compare which would be the worst loss.

We've seen Xabi put in his best season, as well as Masch becoming captain of Argentina, its an honour to lead your country isnt it? So both are top players, and their loss would be equal in my eyes. Lose Xabi and we lose our passing ability. Lose Masch and we'll be more vulnerable in defence, he isn't replacable with his defensive abilities mind you.

All in all they're equal, its too tough to call. Both are not for sale! ;)
      collector
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #28: Jun 18, 2009 03:55:24 pm
      Xabi for me
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #29: Jun 18, 2009 03:59:31 pm
      I would keep Xabi and lose Masch.
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #30: Jun 18, 2009 06:16:29 pm
      both different players, masch is the tackling bulldog, where as xabi is the passing mastermind, able to pick out passes and runs, like no one else in the premier league, apart from fabregas IMO.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #31: Jun 18, 2009 06:24:50 pm
      without a doubt I'd opt for Xabi everytime, no question
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #32: Jun 18, 2009 06:26:41 pm
      Tough question, but i would prefer to keep Alonso.

They both are extremely good players but i feel Alonso offers a bit more to the team.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #33: Jun 18, 2009 06:30:32 pm
      I hate this because they're both invaluable to Liverpool FC but if i had to choose then i'd keep Mascherano.

He's the best DM on the planet, protecting the back four like nothing i've seen and this protection breeds confidence amongst the defence and creates stability which in turn leads to the midfield not having to worry as much about defensive duties and lets them focus on their attacking responsibilities.

Xabi is my player of the season and i voted as much, he's the finest passer of the ball and the vision he has is un-paralleled but he would be the man i would let go as not only do i think we'd get more money for Xabi but we also have players like Lucas who i feel would step up to fill the void if called upon. Also if the worst came to the worst, Stevie Gerrard is no slouch in the centre of the park and has fantastic vision and passing ability, we could drop him back and use the money to buy Villa or another player of such ability to sit in the pocket with Nando.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #34: Jun 18, 2009 06:39:13 pm
      I really don't want to part with any one of the 2 , infact I did not vote
       Rafa already said "hands off these 2 world class players"
       But if we are offered a Big sum (Not less than 32/35 mill for any of the 2 ) with which I can bring in a player like Villa I'd say hold on to Xabi . He is a must for the team ,but honestly these two together on the pitch are MASSIVE , they control the midfield by themselves
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #35: Jun 18, 2009 06:40:43 pm
      This is a tough one , like them both to stay but if i had to choose it would be Xabi, for his vision of the game and his passing is second to none. But they both must stay.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #36: Jun 18, 2009 07:06:54 pm
      Horrible question.

I think Lucas couldn't replace Mascherano, because he isn't the same type of player. I think Lucas would be a more suitable replacement for Xabi.
      Xabi Alonso's passing range and vision is something lucas doesn't have, but Xabi and Lucas don't work well together, whereas Lucas and Mascherano do.

In the end I'd go for Mascherano. His protection to the back 4 is sublime, and although Lucas can't pass it like Xabi, he would replace Xabi much better than Masch.
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #37: Jun 18, 2009 07:22:18 pm
      they are both quality and would be hard to replace, but we would get more for masch i think?
      NO1KOPITE
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #38: Jun 18, 2009 07:24:19 pm
      I think Xabi would be the worse loss for us.
      Although Masch is a great player he is only good for late stage CL games and matches like UTD and CHELSEA.
      But we have Damian Plessis coming through the ranks, who is looking like he's going to be better than Masch
      and i think he could be a suitable replacement for Masch but we don't really have anyone to replace Xabi.
      Lucas is a good fringe player and is OK in matches against teams like Hull and Bolton but just can't cut it against the big clubs and should be sold.
      We also have Jay Spearing who looks like a future captain and Gerrard like player, who could be used in Xabi's position but still he is only young and unproven.
      I cant think of anymore players who could be possible to fill his roll as 1 of the most influential players in our 1st XI.
      So i think Xabi would be a bigger loss than Masch.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #39: Jun 18, 2009 07:36:32 pm
      Difficult to choose one, love them both actually, but I think I would preffer Xaby to stay, if one should go.
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 18, 2009 08:11:35 pm
      They both complement each other superbly and would be surprised if either if them wanted to leave just when we seem to be on the verge of something great , but i fear Masch's head might have been turned by his agent. If he does go we have got to take barcelona for every penny we can and buy a major striker to patrner fernando and drop gerrard back.
      NO1KOPITE
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #41: Jun 18, 2009 08:15:14 pm
      redruths dont be silly
      drop gerrard back
      the torres/gerrard partnership
      is the best liverpool have had since rush and aldridge
      there dynomite 2geva
      the money would be better spent on bring quality wingers in
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #42: Jun 18, 2009 08:43:15 pm
      Its a hard one, would hate to lose either, but if i was pushed I'd prefer to keep Masch wasn't he described after the Colombia game as the best midfielder Argentina has produced in 40 years, that is some compliment when you think of some of the midfielders Argentina has produced, Mascherano is way to underrated in England, I don't think some people actually realise how good he is, the best defensive midfielder on the planet.
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 18, 2009 08:45:14 pm
      Sorry NO1KOPITE got to disagree about Rush and Aldridge as a partnership they were far too similar and needed a Beardsley or Dalglish type alongside them to show what brilliant goalscorers they were , but i suppose thats another thread. I suggested putting gerrard back in midfield as he's the best player on the park wherever he plays and we do need a serious goalscorer to take pressure off fernando
      NO1KOPITE
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #44: Jun 18, 2009 08:48:27 pm
      fernando is the worlds best
      there no pressure he loves it
      and next season he'll prove that if he can go all season without injury
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #45: Jun 18, 2009 11:14:03 pm
      Its a hard one, would hate to lose either, but if I was pushed I'd prefer to keep Masch wasn't he described after the Colombia game as the best midfielder Argentina has produced in 40 years, that is some compliment when you think of some of the midfielders Argentina has produced, Mascherano is way to underrated in England, I don't think some people actually realise how good he is, the best defensive midfielder on the planet.

Xabi has been described by some as the best passer in the world though, so would u want to lose that? :D
      Its a tough issue, both are so brilliant in what they do.
      For me it would be Xabi, just IMO in the games i watch when Xabi doesnt play i notice and miss him so much more than Mascha. But its a close call
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #46: Jun 18, 2009 11:37:21 pm
      What a F***ing thread! What a question to ask? This one is a bugger to answer. >:D

Would i rather see the best defensive midfielder in world football leave?, or the most intelligent central midfielder in world football leave?

I can't do this!  :mad: Mascherano is the unsung hero who protects our back four and gives Alonso and Co. the platform to attack, he will never ever give up, he doesn't do lost causes, to him, anything is attainable.

Then we have Alonso, cool as the proverbial cucumber, more intelligent than Albert Einstein and more than capable of opening up the tightest of defences at will. Also, the ability to have completed a pass whilst others haven't even thought about it!

This is impossible! They are both priceless and irreplacable! If there is a definitive answer, please put it on a postcard........ :f_wah:
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #47: Jun 18, 2009 11:40:01 pm
      If you had a choice of two people to bring on to change a game ,one was Masch, and the other was Xabi ..i'd bring Xabi on for his creativity and vision.Got to admit i think Masch is a hell of a player but i,d keep Xabi given a choice
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Jul 27, 2009 10:04:36 pm
      Xabi in terms of his passing ability and vision and his ability to dictate the way we play is irreplaceable where as Mascherano could be replaced maybe not as effictively but replaced all the same, I would not want any of them to leave but in the spirit of the thread I say Xabi would be the biggest loss and unfortunately that may yet come true.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: Jul 27, 2009 10:17:40 pm
      Xabi definitely would be the most missed out of the two. 

Not sure if the stats from last season back this up, (maybe DLS can work his magic) but we didn't seem to have the same penetration or vision when Xabi wasn't playing, whereas our defense generally held it's own with or without Masch on the pitch. 

Or at least it felt like it from the matches I saw or maybe tv coverage gives a different perspective.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #50: Jul 27, 2009 10:18:07 pm
      A question I can't answer as both are unreplaceable at the moment......
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #51: Jul 27, 2009 10:28:32 pm
      Thank You For Making This Thread. Xabi would obviously be the bigger lose as we can replace javier but alonso he is one of a kind ha can pick a pass like no other player. He Determines the tempo of which we play at.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #52: Jul 27, 2009 10:32:54 pm
      look what happened when rafa took of mascherano in the final at athens,he had kaka in his pocket all night.
      Mascherano would be the bigger loss,if that was not the case rafa would have accepted a bid for him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #53: Jul 27, 2009 10:36:33 pm
      Look what happened when Alonso went to Istanbul, we won the fugga with a much weaker squad
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #54: Jul 27, 2009 10:37:35 pm
      Nice response RedlfcBlood. ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #55: Jul 27, 2009 10:43:31 pm
      If memory serves me correct didi made the difference in the second half not alonso?
      Yeah he scored the pen but up untill then where was alonso?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,154 posts | 3385 
      Reply #56: Jul 27, 2009 10:47:35 pm
      look what happened when rafa took of mascherano in the final at athens,he had kaka in his pocket all night.
      Mascherano would be the bigger loss,if that was not the case rafa would have accepted a bid for him.

Let me give your memory a jog lad.

AC Milan's goals 44th minute and the 74th minute, while Mascherano was subbed in the 78th minute. So taking him off cost so us so F***ing much didn't it. Now try and explain what happened when Masch went off?

People who make such ridiculous claims really need to get their facts straight, maybe then they will realise what they thought was ridiculous.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Jul 27, 2009 10:48:06 pm
      If memory serves me correct didi made the difference in the second half not alonso?
      Yeah he scored the pen but up untill then where was alonso?

He was on the pitch trying to go about his business quietly and effectively or did you not watch the game, Agreed Hamman changed the game by neutralizing Kaka, But Hamman providing that cover gave Alonso the platform to pass his way through Milan.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #58: Jul 27, 2009 10:49:27 pm
      But more often then not when Alonso has a good game Liverpool have a good game.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #59: Jul 28, 2009 01:18:57 am
      I know Alonso dictates a lot of our play but I think Mascherano would be a bigger loss. For me he's in the top 3 defensive mids in the world. Last season wasn't his best but even still he was a crucial player. His doggedness is essential, particularly in tough games against other top sides. While Alonso is probably more unique and it might be impossible to find another player exactly like him, I think we could find someone else that could offer similar qualities. I think we could adapt without Alonso's style of play but we'll always need a midfielder that will make tackes and break up the other team's play
      jojopopo23
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #60: Jul 28, 2009 02:26:53 am
      i would much rather keep alonzo though i dont wanna lose javier either!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #61: Jul 28, 2009 02:41:51 am
      Reckon we would do worse without Xabi than Masch.
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #62: Jul 28, 2009 11:45:52 am
      Hey guys Mascherano is the biggest loss. He is on of the best defensive midfielders in the world(if not the best) alonso is more a playmaker player and we can find many playmakers but a player like Masch no we don't find
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Jul 28, 2009 12:09:11 pm
      They would both leave a dent in the team but I have never really warmed to Mascha, especially after that idiotic red he got against Manure and then refusing to leave the pitch, that was embarrassing. he is a very good Dm though but I think Xabo can do a very good  role as DM plus he gives a bit more in terms of creativity.
      Andrew W.
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #64: Jul 28, 2009 04:52:46 pm
      Mascherano for me... captain of Argentina..need i say anymore?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #65: Jul 28, 2009 04:55:52 pm
      Yes please do . Because there are many defensive midfielder's in the world how many players are their with the range of passes that Xabi has ?
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #66: Jul 28, 2009 05:25:29 pm
      This question is like asking a father who he will save out of his two drowning children

Its really too awful to think about!

Can we have an easier question please?

scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #67: Jul 28, 2009 06:24:55 pm
      Mach for me to mate although it could work well if they were to leave if we got 35m for both there is 70m push steve g back to midfield mabe with lucas then we could get Villa i was thinking Villa and offer Arsenal Bable and money in the region of 30m for Fabergras ?

Kuyt Gerrard Fabergras Riera

Torres     Villa
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #68: Jul 28, 2009 06:29:11 pm
      This question is like asking a father who he will save out of his two drowning children

Its really too awful to think about!

Its easy to answer to be honest, you throw their mother in too hope all three of them drown and then carry on your infidelity sleeping with a bevvie of beauties and your mistress  :f_tongueincheek:
      skrtelivision
      • Skrtelivision
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #69: Jul 28, 2009 06:38:35 pm
      Age is a big factor in this debate, Alonso is 28 and £32 Million for him is a brilliant offer. (Of course id rather him stay).  Mascherano is about 25 and in my opinion the best defensive midfeilder in the world, which makes him tougher for him to be replaced.
      Looking not just as this season but at the future 4 or 5 seasons aswell, the sensible sale would be Alonso, out of the two of them.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #70: Jul 28, 2009 06:41:21 pm
      Hmm never thought of it like that. Alonso is getting on a bit but he has 3 years left on his contract so i think Madrid should just offer the full 35m Benitez wants.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #71: Jul 28, 2009 06:42:26 pm
      I went for Mash, best player in the world at what he does... Can't really argue with that one either, so I think no mater who else plays his role, they won't be as good as him
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #72: Jul 28, 2009 07:14:31 pm
      I would take 32m for Alonso
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,933 posts | 827 
      Reply #73: Jul 28, 2009 07:17:41 pm
      I would as well but their only offering 26m.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #74: Jul 28, 2009 07:25:13 pm
      Xabi for me.  Offers much more of a goal-threat, whether through that defence-splitting pass or a sublime drive from outside the box.  Mascherano is criticial in the Champions League and against the Big Four in the League, but Alonso, for me, is worth more and would thus be a greater loss.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #75: Jul 29, 2009 11:07:05 am
      We can still perform without Xabi Alonso, just hope we can do it for a long period.We got some good results without him last season including the ultimate one at o.t. ;D NO player is bigger than the team!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,985 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #76: Jul 29, 2009 04:40:10 pm
      Xabi for me as said before his range of passing and the way he can read the game, he would be harder  to replace although we could adapt if we were to lose either, the fact that real m and barcelona have have imo tapped up both is testament to how they rate our players and how much they fear coming up against us in the champs league, having said all that though i'd hate to lose either.

ynwa    irwt
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #77: Jul 29, 2009 05:02:43 pm
      Xabi without a doubt. Masch is a top player but like people have said before Xabi offers a lot more in attack.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #78: Jul 29, 2009 05:06:12 pm
      Xabi - if I'm honest...

Losing mash would force Rafa to pull Gerrard Back - thus leaving Lucas with more defending, and i don't think he is up to the task at the moment. Too many sloppy freekicks given away - some at important times. I digress... Losing xabi would be monumental - but he is not irreplaceable. There are brilliant distributers of the ball out there, and ones who can run at defenders (see all the threads that suggest his possible replacement). Yes he is good, but him leaving would not break up the attack duo of Torres and Gerrard - losing Mash could.

But I would hate to lose either.

Quick Reply