Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Are the players on one big skive?

Read 1508 times
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Are the players on one big skive?
      Feb 15, 2007 11:12:37 pm
      From the offal - Dirk Kuyt telling the tale on his Icons website

"I'm in Portugal at a training camp with Liverpool at the moment. We haven't got a game until next Wednesday so the boss has brought us away for five days to do some training and team-building.

"We're training in the morning, and then in the afternoon we'll have a game of golf, play some cards and have a meal with the lads in the evening.

"It's a great chance for everyone to get to know each other better, particularly for people like me who are in our first season at the club.

"It's also a good chance for me to improve my golf! I don't have a handicap, but I reckon I would play off about 22. It's not something I played much before, but the lads at Liverpool play all the time and some of them are pretty good.

"So I'm taking lessons now. I play every week and go to a driving range because I'm determined to get better. I like to win at everything I do, and golf is no different. I'll let you know how I get on."

Kuyt also spoke about his love of Liverpool and the Anfield faithful.

"To have the respect of the supporters is great. It has really helped me settle in," he said.

"I'm so lucky. When I was at Feyenoord, I had the greatest fans in Holland behind me, and now I'm at Liverpool I think we have the best fans in England.

"The support they give us is unbelievable, I've never known anything like it.

"What honours me most is that when we played Arsenal in the Carling Cup, it was a horrible night, it was cold, it was raining, and of course it's a lot of money to come and watch. But it was sold out!"

The striker has inspired several Kuyt-related songs since his arrival in the summer, but he admits there is one that has stuck out.

"I've heard the song the fans sing for me, too: Put your hands up for Dirk Kuyt. I want to thank every one of them for that. To have the respect of the supporters is great. It has really helped me settle in. It was a great song already and now I like it even more!"

Kuyt also revealed he and his teammates are feeling confident of progressing to the quarter-finals of the Champions League despite the quality of next week's opposition.

He said: "What a game it is, away to Barcelona. We will have to improve on our performance against Newcastle, for sure.

"I believe we drew the best team in the Champions League when we got Barcelona, they are the champions after all, but I also believe we can beat them.

"It's always good to play against the best teams, and if you want to win the trophy you have to beat the strongest teams at some stage.

"We're lucky that we have the second leg at Anfield, and when we get them back there we will have the incredible Anfield crowd behind us."
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Are the players on one big skive?
      Reply #1: Feb 16, 2007 12:04:09 am
      Too right they are! Golf every afternoon??? I really hope football is on the main agenda for the whole trip though - especially goal scoring!!!
      Fair do's to them going like. It has to help morale after the last few weeks. And if it means an improvement in communication on the pitch, that can only be a good thing. Taking advantage of some spare time to help the team come together and be as one is good.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Feb 16, 2007 06:18:13 am
      I know that I let out my frustrations on the golf course and for the reds to do this after a training session in the morning seems like a clever idea to me.  I am p*ss at golf and have a handicap of about 50 but it is very calming and this seems like good team bonding before we hammer the overrated barca!!!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Feb 16, 2007 06:49:42 pm
      I don't know what a handicap is, then again I don't like golf. But I am dressing up like a golfer for pub golf on Monday night ;D
      ANYWAY I know that a lot of footballers (players and/or managers - Cardiff's manager plays golf :P) play it, and I was explaining to my sis that it's more relaxing than running around, and is good for taking out stress/anger.

As long as they are training ;D I remember reading that Rafa said they'd gone to Portugal to get used to the heat. Why didn't they just go to Spain?! A lot of them could visit their family then!!
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 16, 2007 08:54:15 pm
      From the offal - Dirk Kuyt telling the tale on his Icons website

The striker has inspired several Kuyt-related songs since his arrival in the summer, but he admits there is one that has stuck out.
       I've heard the song the fans sing for me, too: Put your hands up for Dirk Kuyt. I want to thank every one of them for that. To have the respect of the supporters is great. It has really helped me settle in. It was a great song already and now I like it even more!"

did this song not originate on this forum?!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Feb 17, 2007 11:06:47 am
      As long as they are training ;D I remember reading that Rafa said they'd gone to Portugal to get used to the heat. Why didn't they just go to Spain?! A lot of them could visit their family then!!
      [/quote]

Nicola I was going to ask the same question....wouldn't you think that if we're playing Barca in Spain,  that we should go to that actual country to acclimatize, maybe even travel to the ground, pretend to do a tour, so that way when we actually play the game we'll be use to the weather and the arena which means when we get on the pitch we might feel abit more comfortable playing the 2nd best team on the planet? ;)
      Cy
      Reply #6: Feb 17, 2007 11:49:15 am
      He is a good man, what a signing no doubt about that. I don't play golf myself, so no idea what a handicap is. As long as they score at least one goal at the new camp I'll be happy, it's going to be a cracking game...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2007 08:05:53 pm
      Should we not rename this thread, in hindsight, to are the players on one big fight?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2007 08:47:01 pm
      Or one big round of golf ;)

Quick Reply