Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Benefits of selling Masch & Xabi?

Read 16142 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Benefits of selling Masch & Xabi?
      Jun 19, 2009 01:04:08 pm
      With the recent press reports regarding Xabi and Masch moving to Spain I'm starting to wonder could it be beneficial to Liverpool. 50 million for Xabi and 40 million plus Toure for Mascherano gives 90 million to play with plus the reported 20-25 million we already have. That's over 100 million to use to reinforce the team!!

Johnson for 18 million looks like its happening. Say then we go for Silva 25 million Villa 40 million. Sneidjer 15 million. Micah Richards for around 6 millionplus Toure as pert of the masch deal. We lose 2 quality players but gain 6!!

Is that not beneficial to us? Villa taking Stevies roil with Stevie dropping back to midfield. Silva on the left with Sneidjer competing with Kuyt on the right or he can play centre mid. If we were given the money made from selling the 2 lads we could create quite a side
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2009 02:01:15 pm by Court LFC »
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Re: Benefits of selling Masch + Xabi?
      Reply #1: Jun 19, 2009 01:15:40 pm
      If we got that amount of money sure we could bring in those players. But for some reasons teams have a habit of upping their prices when we come in for them, and having all that money they may try to exploit us when buying some of these players.

As well as this wether all the players would come to liverpool is another issue. And wether or not teams like City would be willing to sell to us is again another question. Could leave us with lots of money with nobody to buy?

If we did get all these players, who is to say they'd gel quickly if at all? Surely that could be seen as restructuring the majority of the team and could take us further away from the title than closer?

I do agree though that in a ideal world, with those funds, if we could secure signings for all those players, we would have the potential to be stronger than before but then again things don't always work out.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Jun 19, 2009 01:15:56 pm
      If reports are to be believed then this is a dire situation. Apparently Xabi has had a big fall out with benitez and mascha is making noises about leaving, Our team is so strong at the moment though, and we just ever so nearly got the league.But if it must happen then it must happen, and i agree with your analysis, we could get some good players in.
      Villa and Silva would probably make up for it, but i think we need to look for a Defensive Central midfielder or promote plesis.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #3: Jun 19, 2009 01:30:24 pm
      No way that we would get 40 mil for Xabi. Everyone thinks that Xabi is just simple a midfielder. But he is good. Very good. I think that we would be very lucky if we would need to sell Xabi and someone would offer 25 mil for him.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4: Jun 19, 2009 01:44:45 pm
      for fucks sake why are we presuming that rafa is gonna sell 3 parts of the spine he has spent 5 yrs building, i acknowledge that most of the talk is probably the press printing the usual close season crap, but thats no excuse for adding fuel to the fire, lets just say then that we did'nt have such prestigious players and instead had say a spine like man c, with loads of cash, which players would u most likely target to bulld a spine for an assault on the league, would i be wrong to suggest these players.....reina arbeloa, xabi alonso, stevie gerrard javier mascherano, enough said.

ynwa     irwt
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jun 19, 2009 03:10:17 pm
      It could be very beneficial indeed, depending upon Rafa's plans. 100 million to play with is big. We could lose Xabi/Masch for quite alot of dosh and build a significantly stronger side.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #6: Jun 19, 2009 03:22:28 pm
      to be honest, we would make some hellashish profits, but what would go to the team, or the club?

right now all profits go into tweedle dee and tweedle dum's pockets, and all debts go against the club.

i personally feel what we would lose as a club outweights the profits of selling them both
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Jun 19, 2009 03:43:45 pm
      Well, we can't guarantee we will get those players mentioned and those coming in might not have the same impact as Mascherano and Alonso had. I'd rather get rid of some fringe players and keep the important ones because we know they have real quality and are proven in the Premier League whereas those from abroad may not be built for the English game.

Plus, both of them are already firm fan favourites and they've somewhat became backbones of our Liverpool squad.
      In my opinion, I think it'd be a loss to us.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #8: Jun 19, 2009 04:13:08 pm
      Looks good on paper but are we not starting all over again. What I mean is Masch and Xabi are the spine of the team and are world class players, who have got to know each others games inside out.

Our strongest 11 at the moment doesnt need much improving, just a few additions to the squad is what we need.

If we got them players mentioned that means we need time for them to gel and that means maybe an other frustrating season again. I just think we are so close to winning the league with the squad we have I think it would be crazy to make so many big changes to the team.

Just my opinion!
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #9: Jun 19, 2009 04:20:35 pm
      The simple question should be would u swap them for any other players in the world?

In my opinion i don't think we could get anyone to replace either of them
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Jun 19, 2009 04:51:49 pm
      Although we would get a lot of money selling the pair of them, who knows how good the replacements will be?

We would be taking a huge step backwards if we sold them, Rafa's building a good team with some great players including these two.

I don't think we should get rid of them just yet.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      Reply #11: Jun 19, 2009 04:53:45 pm
      Some of you seem to forgetting the fact that it looks like Masch's agent has had talks with Barce and Xabi isnt 100% happy. Its not just a question of sell them 2 and buy in x y and z the fact is both may want to leave and if thats the case we need to get top dollar for them and then spend that money wisely on top class replacements.

With regard to geling in Torres took about 5 minutes to gel in. Class players always fit in so Id have no fear in Villa Silva or Sneidjer geling.

End of the day we need to face up that we could lose 1 or both of these lads and we should have plans made to replace them
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #12: Jun 19, 2009 05:02:59 pm
      No because the profits would go into H&G pockets ::)
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #13: Jun 19, 2009 05:03:25 pm
      Some of you seem to forgetting the fact that it looks like Masch's agent has had talks with Barce and Xabi isnt 100% happy. Its not just a question of sell them 2 and buy in x y and z the fact is both may want to leave and if thats the case we need to get top dollar for them and then spend that money wisely on top class replacements.

With regard to geling in Torres took about 5 minutes to gel in. Class players always fit in so Id have no fear in Villa Silva or Sneidjer geling.

End of the day we need to face up that we could lose 1 or both of these lads and we should have plans made to replace them
      Yes and if we do replace them then it has to be done ASAP. I think a good pre-season under their belts will have to happen.

But the way things are at the moment i wouldnt be suprised if we sold one or both  and it was too late to bring in proper replacements.....i.e either taken already or we end up panic buying.

But ill stick to not selling them by all means if possible.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #14: Jun 19, 2009 05:30:13 pm
      What is this are we mad . if we sell both midfielders than we are back where  we started with bentez .Reina -carra-masch-xabi-gerrard Torres  are the spine of Rafa's team so its a must that thew club  make the best to  keep these 6  at anfield ...on the other hand If any of them makes it clear he don't want to stay then rafa should think about it  because we really do not need NOT COMMITTED PLAYERS
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #15: Jun 19, 2009 05:33:38 pm
      Rather sell Torres,Man City will happily pay you 100 million then sell Gerrard,Madrid is ready to pay 80 mn then you can do all the window shopping you want and buy 20-30 players.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      Reply #16: Jun 19, 2009 05:59:12 pm
      Rather sell Torres,Man City will happily pay you 100 million then sell Gerrard,Madrid is ready to pay 80 mn then you can do all the window shopping you want and buy 20-30 players.

That's what I mean about missing the point. Torres and Gerrard are well happy where they are and have committed to Liverpool. Masch and Xabi aren't fully committed or happy. Stupid comparison
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 19, 2009 06:17:14 pm
      I have NEVER seen Mascherano or Xabi claiming they are unhappy from RELIABLE sources, newspapers and sites OTHER than LFC should NOT be trusted.  It is only the media saying they are unsettled, not the player themselves.  We have seen an article Mascherano commit himself on the official website barely 3 weeks ago.  Now, according to some random source, he is on his way out for £20m.  It's all bullcrap. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      Reply #18: Jun 19, 2009 06:27:11 pm
      Very rarely smoke without fire. If Masch was 100% happy there would be no reports about meetings in Barcelona. Xabi is different as he hasn't had his agent meet anyone that we know of but it does seem genral knowledge he isnt fully happy. Therefore as my original post was getting at if the 2 lads want out sell for big money and use that money to better the team.

All this crap that there too important. Yes they are quality but if they arent focused fully on Liverpool they wont play at there peak. We sold Ian Rush everyone thought it was a disaster. Using the money we got for him we got 3 players in, Barnes Beardsley and Aldo and the rest is history.

Final thing Ill say on this, I would love both to say they arent going anywhere they want to play for Liverpool. If they dont want to then sell them and improve the team with the money got from ther sales
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #19: Jun 19, 2009 07:25:45 pm
      To be honest with the opening post Brian, I can't even in me wildest dreams seeing Xabi go for 50m and Masch 40m. Half of each would be more realistic.

We as fans may value them as highly as that, but in realistic terms it's a bit over the top. Like I say, probably more to be about half of it so that gives us 45 million to play with.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Jun 19, 2009 07:27:04 pm
      I can see your point Brian and if there's one thing I don't like at our club is players with a desire to be elsewhere. But I don't think there's a case for Xabi wanting to leave - more so that he's just keeping his mouth shut. Which in all fairness, is probably the best thing to do after he's already said that he wants to stay here as long as he's wanted.

The Mascherano situation on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. And personally, I don't feel confident of him being here next season. We'll find out sooner or later.

But getting back to the point of the topic, firstly there could be no way that the money gained from the sale of these players could go to the owners as Rafa would be generating his own funds. Otherwise, Rafa would clearly be furious and possibly walk.

And secondly, it would be hard to take for both of them to leave in the same transfer window and we would literally be ripping up a big hole in the engine room, so we'd have to make sure we are talking silly amounts of money. And also find one or two as good or even better players to fill the void. It would be too risky to start splashing out on players in other positions and expecting Gerrard to be the only world class midfielder.

With the market being different these days, even with loads of money, you still have to be very very careful.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #21: Jun 19, 2009 07:33:53 pm
      Xabi and Masch are two of our most important players if we want to win the league
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Jun 19, 2009 09:08:45 pm
      Benefits of selling them both?......Simple there isn't any!

I feel we could cope without Masch and would be happy with a £45mill deal for him but to lose Xabi I feel would be a bigger loss because of the creativity in which he offers us, the only player who comes close to being able to pass and play the killer ball time after time like him is Stevie. Yes Masch is one of the best defensive mids around but I think that with Pessis and Spearing coming through as well as having Lucas we would be able to cope after the short adjustment period.

Quick Reply