Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Voronin set for Reds switch

Read 8125 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Voronin set for Reds switch
      Feb 17, 2007 11:56:32 pm
      dont no how true it is but it is on the SSN website. do we really want a striker that has scored 6 goals in the German bundelisliga? a saw him in the world cup but the only thing i know of him is that he sponsers coke in ukraine ;D. heres the report:

Voronin has reportedly clinched a deal to join Liverpool in the summer.

The Ukrainian international is out of contract at the end of the season and has reached a agreement that will see him join The Reds on a four-year contract in June.

Voronin had been linked with a move to Celtic in December but will now join Craig Bellamy, Peter Crouch, Robbie Fowler and Dirk Kuyt in Rafa Benitez's plans at Anfield.

The 27-year-old has bagged six goals in 20 league appearances for the German club this season and, following Bayer's 1-0 defeat to Hannover on Saturday, it was announced that the striker will pursue a career in England come the end of the season.

Voronin is keen to widen his experiences after spending a decade in Germany since joining Borussia Dortmund as an 18-year-old from his native Ukraine.

"I have been in Germany for ten years now, that is a long time," said Voronin in Kicker. "I want to see something else."

Voronin's prospective arrival could provoke fresh doubts over Fowler's future at Anfield, as the Reds hero also sees his contract expire at the end of the season.

Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: Voronin set for Reds switch
      Reply #1: Feb 18, 2007 12:41:27 am
      Don't know much about this.  Can't make out who he plays for now from that report and whether he is a regular or the 20 appearances are all as a sub.  If he played 20 games of the last 5 minutes then I reckon he could be a brilliant purchase!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Feb 18, 2007 03:56:58 am
      I heard about this player today from one of my mates. He's a striker for Bayer Leverkusen and we are ready to snap him up on a free, apparently. He played against Blackburn the other night? I didn't see that game. Did anyone catch that game and notice him???
      lfcgaz
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 18, 2007 01:52:42 pm
      ive seen this on sky sports news, dont know much about him .... is he any good????
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 18, 2007 02:24:21 pm
       found a video of him on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkZp8O3kAak

dosent look 2 bad
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #5: Feb 18, 2007 03:34:19 pm
      Don't know if i've missed something here but Voronin ? six in twenty? thats what you'd expect from an average mid field player not an out and out striker. Where is this going to take us, Robbie would do better than that with a decent run in the side and I consider he's well past his best. ( shame) Have to go for David Villa or similar proven quality players. Think back.... Paisley had a knack of finding average players and turning them into world class stars.Is Raffa thinking he has the same foresight ? With Pennent, Bellamy and Zenden I see no evidence of this yet.
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Reply #6: Feb 18, 2007 03:39:54 pm
      watched the blackburn game the other night against bayer, he played just off the front guy in a 4-3-3 formation, played on the right, he did ok, fast paced attacker, good on the break, some good touches. im sure rafa knows what he's doing.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #7: Feb 18, 2007 04:19:14 pm
      don't really know much about voronin,but i hope any player we sign on from now has the quality to send us to the next level
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Feb 18, 2007 04:26:15 pm
      I'm sorry. Unknown striker thats always on the bench.
      What the hell do we want him for?
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #9: Feb 18, 2007 08:15:16 pm
      never seen him play and his stats dont fill me with confidence
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #10: Feb 18, 2007 08:25:55 pm
      sounds like another arse to warm the bench
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 18, 2007 10:57:20 pm
      sounds like another arse to warm the bench
      me and u in the same boat then
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2007 07:27:24 am
      I know its only a game 'but' his stats on FM 07 aint that bad, lookin through his history its abit uip and down, one year scoring 20+ the next only getting around 10 so??????

Not sure why we need another big guy up front tho, now we have all these $$$ I was hoping we would sign a world class striker (Villa/Torres)

Could he be Crouch's replacement????
      Cy
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2007 10:44:35 am
      I think that if we got him for free it's a good move. He has commitments and could be use on the left wing, that is my opinion, we'll see..
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2007 12:06:16 pm
      When he played in the world cup all the commentators were speaking highly of him, he played well in the games I saw.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2007 12:14:02 pm
      Should we not be looking for World Class and not Second Class. I am yet to see or hear anything to suggest hes world class
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2007 01:37:46 pm
      I'm sorry. Unknown striker thats always on the bench.
      What the hell do we want him for?

As per usual 2 steps forward, twenty steps back. This guy can't do anything for us....I'm startin to worry  :-\ :-\
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2007 02:24:52 pm
      Another squad player.  Just what we need :-\ :-\

glebe17
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2007 02:29:09 pm
      I thought that with the new takeover, we will have the money to go after the best thats out there. Bench warmers can't be the way forward!!

I agree that Rafa must know what he's doing, but......  ???  ???

Come on Rafa. Bring in the best there is. Please.  ;D  ;D
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2007 03:02:51 pm
      Hmm I dunno.

On Sky Sports website his agent is saying he's coming here on a free at the end of the season.

All my friends reckon Villa / Torres wouldn't come to Liverpool when they could go somewhere like Real Madrid or Barca :O
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2007 04:01:41 pm
      A very average player.im sad to say this spells the end for GOD. :( On the plus side we seem favourites to get villa,as he admitted talking to Rafa on news years day at the bolton game.Surely with his best mate playing for the club(pepe) we have an advantage on everyone else?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2007 04:27:37 pm
      It looks like its true.

Rafael Benitez has confirmed that Liverpool are close to completing a pre-contract agreement to sign Ukrainian striker Andriy Voronin in the summer. 
      The 27-year old currently plies his trade in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen but is set to leave when his contract expires at the end of the season.

"We are close to a deal. The scouting department has been working on this possibility," said Benitez today.

"He is an experienced striker who played in the World Cup and has scored goals for Ukraine, playing with Andriy Shevchenko, as well Bayer Leverkusen. He finishes his contract in the summer."

Voronin has previously played for Cologne, Mainz and Borussia Moenchengladbach and also represented his country on 40 occasions, scoring five goals in the process. 

Five goals in forty internationals!! his club record is hardly much better either,
                                            ap  gls
      Borussia Mönchengladbach    7 (1)
      FSV Mainz 05 (D1)             75 (29)       
      FC Köln                             19 (5)             
      Bayer Leverkusen               69 (27)

He's hardly prolific is he?

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2007 04:29:03 pm by Glenbuck »
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #22: Feb 19, 2007 04:28:45 pm
      its on the liverpool official website   ..liverpool are close to sign a pre contract to ensure of his signature in the summer,,,,,,,,a good  player  but not world class  saw him in the world cup ,, he did good  played 40 times for ukraine,,  and he comes for free  ,,he is a free agent in june   so for me a good  move  ,,,,

Quick Reply