Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Voronin set for Reds switch

Read 8130 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Voronin set for Reds switch
      Feb 17, 2007 11:56:32 pm
      dont no how true it is but it is on the SSN website. do we really want a striker that has scored 6 goals in the German bundelisliga? a saw him in the world cup but the only thing i know of him is that he sponsers coke in ukraine ;D. heres the report:

Voronin has reportedly clinched a deal to join Liverpool in the summer.

The Ukrainian international is out of contract at the end of the season and has reached a agreement that will see him join The Reds on a four-year contract in June.

Voronin had been linked with a move to Celtic in December but will now join Craig Bellamy, Peter Crouch, Robbie Fowler and Dirk Kuyt in Rafa Benitez's plans at Anfield.

The 27-year-old has bagged six goals in 20 league appearances for the German club this season and, following Bayer's 1-0 defeat to Hannover on Saturday, it was announced that the striker will pursue a career in England come the end of the season.

Voronin is keen to widen his experiences after spending a decade in Germany since joining Borussia Dortmund as an 18-year-old from his native Ukraine.

"I have been in Germany for ten years now, that is a long time," said Voronin in Kicker. "I want to see something else."

Voronin's prospective arrival could provoke fresh doubts over Fowler's future at Anfield, as the Reds hero also sees his contract expire at the end of the season.

Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: Voronin set for Reds switch
      Reply #1: Feb 18, 2007 12:41:27 am
      Don't know much about this.  Can't make out who he plays for now from that report and whether he is a regular or the 20 appearances are all as a sub.  If he played 20 games of the last 5 minutes then I reckon he could be a brilliant purchase!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Feb 18, 2007 03:56:58 am
      I heard about this player today from one of my mates. He's a striker for Bayer Leverkusen and we are ready to snap him up on a free, apparently. He played against Blackburn the other night? I didn't see that game. Did anyone catch that game and notice him???
      lfcgaz
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 18, 2007 01:52:42 pm
      ive seen this on sky sports news, dont know much about him .... is he any good????
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 18, 2007 02:24:21 pm
       found a video of him on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkZp8O3kAak

dosent look 2 bad
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #5: Feb 18, 2007 03:34:19 pm
      Don't know if i've missed something here but Voronin ? six in twenty? thats what you'd expect from an average mid field player not an out and out striker. Where is this going to take us, Robbie would do better than that with a decent run in the side and I consider he's well past his best. ( shame) Have to go for David Villa or similar proven quality players. Think back.... Paisley had a knack of finding average players and turning them into world class stars.Is Raffa thinking he has the same foresight ? With Pennent, Bellamy and Zenden I see no evidence of this yet.
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Reply #6: Feb 18, 2007 03:39:54 pm
      watched the blackburn game the other night against bayer, he played just off the front guy in a 4-3-3 formation, played on the right, he did ok, fast paced attacker, good on the break, some good touches. im sure rafa knows what he's doing.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #7: Feb 18, 2007 04:19:14 pm
      don't really know much about voronin,but i hope any player we sign on from now has the quality to send us to the next level
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Feb 18, 2007 04:26:15 pm
      I'm sorry. Unknown striker thats always on the bench.
      What the hell do we want him for?
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #9: Feb 18, 2007 08:15:16 pm
      never seen him play and his stats dont fill me with confidence
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #10: Feb 18, 2007 08:25:55 pm
      sounds like another arse to warm the bench
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 18, 2007 10:57:20 pm
      sounds like another arse to warm the bench
      me and u in the same boat then
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2007 07:27:24 am
      I know its only a game 'but' his stats on FM 07 aint that bad, lookin through his history its abit uip and down, one year scoring 20+ the next only getting around 10 so??????

Not sure why we need another big guy up front tho, now we have all these $$$ I was hoping we would sign a world class striker (Villa/Torres)

Could he be Crouch's replacement????
      Cy
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2007 10:44:35 am
      I think that if we got him for free it's a good move. He has commitments and could be use on the left wing, that is my opinion, we'll see..
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2007 12:06:16 pm
      When he played in the world cup all the commentators were speaking highly of him, he played well in the games I saw.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2007 12:14:02 pm
      Should we not be looking for World Class and not Second Class. I am yet to see or hear anything to suggest hes world class
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2007 01:37:46 pm
      I'm sorry. Unknown striker thats always on the bench.
      What the hell do we want him for?

As per usual 2 steps forward, twenty steps back. This guy can't do anything for us....I'm startin to worry  :-\ :-\
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2007 02:24:52 pm
      Another squad player.  Just what we need :-\ :-\

glebe17
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2007 02:29:09 pm
      I thought that with the new takeover, we will have the money to go after the best thats out there. Bench warmers can't be the way forward!!

I agree that Rafa must know what he's doing, but......  ???  ???

Come on Rafa. Bring in the best there is. Please.  ;D  ;D
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2007 03:02:51 pm
      Hmm I dunno.

On Sky Sports website his agent is saying he's coming here on a free at the end of the season.

All my friends reckon Villa / Torres wouldn't come to Liverpool when they could go somewhere like Real Madrid or Barca :O
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2007 04:01:41 pm
      A very average player.im sad to say this spells the end for GOD. :( On the plus side we seem favourites to get villa,as he admitted talking to Rafa on news years day at the bolton game.Surely with his best mate playing for the club(pepe) we have an advantage on everyone else?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2007 04:27:37 pm
      It looks like its true.

Rafael Benitez has confirmed that Liverpool are close to completing a pre-contract agreement to sign Ukrainian striker Andriy Voronin in the summer. 
      The 27-year old currently plies his trade in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen but is set to leave when his contract expires at the end of the season.

"We are close to a deal. The scouting department has been working on this possibility," said Benitez today.

"He is an experienced striker who played in the World Cup and has scored goals for Ukraine, playing with Andriy Shevchenko, as well Bayer Leverkusen. He finishes his contract in the summer."

Voronin has previously played for Cologne, Mainz and Borussia Moenchengladbach and also represented his country on 40 occasions, scoring five goals in the process. 

Five goals in forty internationals!! his club record is hardly much better either,
                                            ap  gls
      Borussia Mönchengladbach    7 (1)
      FSV Mainz 05 (D1)             75 (29)       
      FC Köln                             19 (5)             
      Bayer Leverkusen               69 (27)

He's hardly prolific is he?

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2007 04:29:03 pm by Glenbuck »
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #22: Feb 19, 2007 04:28:45 pm
      its on the liverpool official website   ..liverpool are close to sign a pre contract to ensure of his signature in the summer,,,,,,,,a good  player  but not world class  saw him in the world cup ,, he did good  played 40 times for ukraine,,  and he comes for free  ,,he is a free agent in june   so for me a good  move  ,,,,
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #23: Feb 19, 2007 04:58:50 pm
      in Rafa we trust..
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #24: Feb 19, 2007 05:49:33 pm
      well i havent seen what he is like so i cant really say much about him really
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #25: Feb 19, 2007 07:18:07 pm
      if he's free,then what have we got to worry about.this is just Rafa's gamble and we must try to live with it
      ALL HAIL RAFA
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #26: Feb 19, 2007 07:19:48 pm
      Just can't see the point in signing him we'd be much better off keeping pongolle when he finishes his loan than signing this pile of crap he's 27 reaching the peak of his career and all he can do is hit 6 in 20 in a sh*t league
      rafa im dissapointed! i wonder who out there will be getting his name on shirt theres always 1
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #27: Feb 19, 2007 08:01:19 pm
      we have to trust rafa,,,he's free,, signing  a 4 year deal  if he does not fit rafa can sell him  for a price and thats a  profit ,,,BTW celtic want him too but it semms he chose liverpool   ,, so why not try ,,,and does pongolle wants to come to anfield ,,hope he does ,,he 's doing well in spain
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Feb 19, 2007 08:49:01 pm
      I'm a bit concerned about this one.
      BRING IN VILLA :D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #29: Feb 19, 2007 09:04:59 pm
      Cant see the problem myself, if he's free, what have we got to lose ?  ???   
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #30: Feb 19, 2007 09:35:16 pm
      I've also heard that Celtic were after Voronin. Don't remember any of europes elite clubs fighting over him at any time in his career. How many overage (or average even) players can you play for the under 18s ? Just a thought.
      stev_17
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Reply #31: Feb 20, 2007 10:52:33 am
      comon do we really need a player that only scored 6 goals for his club in the german league..and only 4 from 40 appearances for his country??? comom please no need to bring in these types of players in the squad.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #32: Feb 20, 2007 09:52:41 pm
      For once there's actually more debate going on on the website than on the actual forum on this topic!

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/02/19/the-crow-to-be-liverpools-next-striker/
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #33: Feb 22, 2007 06:19:03 pm
      He can be seen playing now for Levekuasen V's Blackburn on ITV4
      fanatic dee
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #34: Feb 22, 2007 08:22:57 pm
      Can't understand this one  ??? I was aware of him before, he never dazzled by any stretch of the imagination at any stage in his career.
      Watched him again tonight hoping to see a glimmer of what has caught the scouts. He showed some good touches holding the ball up, suppose did nt help playing upfront on his own.
      We'll watch this one with interest  :-\
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #35: Feb 22, 2007 08:49:06 pm
      I watched him with interest tonight, he seems big, strong and intellegent.
      As an out and out striker - were paying the right amount - free,
      but as a link up striker - I think he could do a decent job.   need to see more of him tho'
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #36: Feb 22, 2007 11:06:28 pm
      I Wouldnt worry too much I am sure Rafa has got a few more people he is planning to bring in.  As a free transfer he can put some pressure on crouchy for the big guy position, Someone else mentioned his selling value, not a bad investment...they know what they are doing, he could just be a pawn of some kind.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #37: Feb 23, 2007 01:28:49 am
      I really dont see the point in this, but as a few people have mentioned it is on a free transfer so it cant harm the club financially
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #38: Feb 23, 2007 01:57:33 am
      Well all's I can see him doing is just sitting on the bench earning good money.
      Stupid move in my eyes...
      Cy
      Reply #39: Feb 23, 2007 10:16:09 am
      I watched him with interest tonight, he seems big, strong and intellegent.
      As an out and out striker - were paying the right amount - free,
      but as a link up striker - I think he could do a decent job.   need to see more of him tho'
      I agree i watched the game too and like you said as an out striker maybe. I'm not sure though he is what we need but for free it's a good deal.
      Eniac
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #40: Feb 23, 2007 08:07:35 pm
      Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are four strikers in the first team at the moment: Fowler, Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy. Of these four strikers at least one is likely to sit on the bench for most of the time and let's face it: you don't get a world class striker for this job. If Villa (or someone of his ilk) comes, what I hope for, he'll expect to play whenever he's fit. But you need a sort of backup for him and Voronin may just fill this slot, because I'm convinced that Fowler will retire in the summer.

BTW, Villa. Yes, he's a superb striker who scores a lot. But he has never played outside Spain and there's no guarantee that he'll be just as prolific in the Premiership. We just don't know how well he'll cope with the rougher tackling there.
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #41: Feb 25, 2007 02:07:10 pm
      From the Liverpool website.
      Liverpool have today confirmed they have reached an agreement with Andriy Voronin to bring the Ukrainian international to Anfield. 
      The 27 year old, who has been playing his football in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen, will join the Reds in the summer.

He has previously played for Cologne, Mainz and Borussia Moenchengladbach and also represented his country on 40 occasions, scoring five goals in the process. 
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #42: Feb 25, 2007 02:11:50 pm
      Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are four strikers in the first team at the moment: Fowler, Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy. Of these four strikers at least one is likely to sit on the bench for most of the time and let's face it: you don't get a world class striker for this job. If Villa (or someone of his ilk) comes, what I hope for, he'll expect to play whenever he's fit. But you need a sort of backup for him and Voronin may just fill this slot, because I'm convinced that Fowler will retire in the summer.

BTW, Villa. Yes, he's a superb striker who scores a lot. But he has never played outside Spain and there's no guarantee that he'll be just as prolific in the Premiership. We just don't know how well he'll cope with the rougher tackling there.

Maybe... only maybe.
      I can't see Fowler retiring in the summer. I can see him somewhere like Tranmere Rovers.
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #43: Feb 27, 2007 11:33:15 am
      First of all is free ! He did play alongside with other Striker Ukraine international Shevchenko. He's fast with a good shot. He will not be first choose. Not enough?
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007 02:13:15 pm by Paolo »
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #44: Feb 27, 2007 01:22:03 pm
      From the Liverpool website.
      Liverpool have today confirmed they have reached an agreement with Andriy Voronin to bring the Ukrainian international to Anfield. 
      The 27 year old, who has been playing his football in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen, will join the Reds in the summer.

He has previously played for Cologne, Mainz and Borussia Moenchengladbach and also represented his country on 40 occasions, scoring five goals in the process. 

Is that right 5 goals in 40 appearances for his country not really great stats,think big Pete C has more if not mistaken ,maybe he will prove me wrong and be a 20 a season scorer :-\
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #45: Feb 27, 2007 02:20:49 pm
      Is that right 5 goals in 40 appearances for his country not really great stats,think big Pete C has more if not mistaken ,maybe he will prove me wrong and be a 20 a season scorer :-\

heres hoping but Ive got a feeling if it is 20 a season most will be for the reserves
      marko
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #46: Feb 27, 2007 09:36:08 pm
      sky sports news showed a clip of him of him last night and a thought they would show him smashin 1 in but they showed him  missin  a headed chance. ??? ???F**k me they cant even find a clip of him scoring a goal  cant get my head round this 1. ??? ???
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #47: Feb 28, 2007 12:06:16 am
      heres hoping but Ive got a feeling if it is 20 a season most will be for the reserves
      No 5 goals in reserves and 15 in prem :laugh:
      No 5 goals in reserves and 15 in prem
      sky sports news showed a clip of him of him last night and a thought they would show him smashin 1 in but they showed him  missin  a headed chance. ??? ???fu*k me they cant even find a clip of him scoring a goal  cant get my head round this 1. ??? ???
      What do you expect from sky sports?Must admit it does sound confusing ??? :-\
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #48: Feb 28, 2007 09:09:47 am
      No 5 goals in reserves and 15 in prem :laugh:

Wished I shared your enthusiasm
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #49: Feb 28, 2007 03:37:01 pm
      If you noticed lately Rafa has been experimenting with the 3 strikers upfront formation. At the present we have 4 strikers. Now supposedly one of these strikers get injured Rafa will not have any backup and has to use revert back to just 2 strikers. With an extra in Voronin now, at least Rafa has 2 backup strikers for this particular formation which I assume if proven, it will be Rafa's choice of formation in the future. Now Voronin maybe surplus but he came on a free and it wouldn't hurt us if he seldom plays too. Rafa still has his eyes on better strikers to be a more main fixture in his future first eleven with names like Villa, Iaquinta and Eto'o being speculated. So no big deal I think, if Voronin performs, then it's an added bonus.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #50: Feb 28, 2007 05:41:01 pm
      I'm sure Voronin is a done deal, he will be with us in the summer, but he only to replace Robbie as a back up
      I still say crouchy will be leaving us this summer, and Robbie will also be going.
      So it leaves the door open for 2 more world class strikers to come in.
      Eto, is a top striker, just not sure he could do it in the prem.
      Villa, i would say would be right, but its down to price he will cost a lot of money and thats if he is up for sale.
      The only thing you can be sure of, theres going to be a lot of talk over new strikers who might come in, but it going to be fun
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #51: Jun 03, 2007 05:35:23 pm
      Did anyone see him last night against France?
      Didn't really do much and ended up being subbed. But he didn't really get much service..  :-\
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #52: Jun 04, 2007 12:47:13 am
      If Voronin plays as well as his international team mate has in the Prem,  Shevchenco,( however its spelt) we should at least expect one goal from him
      Luke-LFC
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #53: Jun 04, 2007 10:13:04 am
      Cant see the problem myself, if he's free, what have we got to lose ?  ???  

Nothing, We should at least give him a chance to prove himself, we said the same about Crouch and look how he turned out.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #54: Jun 04, 2007 02:38:48 pm
      I think its plain to see this Guy will be no more than a squad player,hes mearly replacing Gods place in the pecking order,he will probably play carling cup,odd c.league game.etc.If another striker comes in as expected he will be even further down the pecking order.
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #55: Jun 04, 2007 03:32:39 pm
      Really strange ... LFC did buy a striker for the bench three months ago (probably the fourth striker) and did not chooese the firt one !! I can't believe it !!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #56: Jun 04, 2007 10:50:45 pm
      Our track record on purchasing strikers is terrible. It wouldn suprise me one bit if this guy turned out to be a legend and whoever we splash the cash on turns out to be garbage.

Mark my words fellow forumheads
      KarenB
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #57: Jun 05, 2007 06:08:00 am
      maybe he's bait for schevchenko who has been deliberately sh*te all season cos he hates moanhinho and only ever wanted to join liverpool.  voronin comes in and we sign schevvy for 6 million.  :-\
      terry_anthony
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      • U'll NeVEr WaLk AloNe
      Reply #58: Jun 05, 2007 06:47:54 am
      maybe he will be deploy as a right mid... hem.. ??? anyway should give him a chance lad, who knows will end up as a buy for the season?? ;D

Quick Reply