Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

You and Liverpool...Why?

Read 41698 times
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Re: You and Liverpool...Why?
      Reply #138: Apr 10, 2010 07:29:58 am
      I think I was 11 at that time and i saw Liverpool vs Manchester united, that was my first EPL match ever and the funny thing is that we lost that match yet i ended up supporting Liverpool which I still have no idea why. I think Michel Owen wonder goal vs Argentina too had a huge impact in making me red.  
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2010 09:40:52 pm by weshall_kop »
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #139: Apr 10, 2010 08:39:10 pm
      I used to think football wasa boring when i was little! :o watching my Dad & 2 brothers, with their lfc shirts on- cheering us on almost every weekend-
      i wondered what all the fuss was about..
      I have no idea when that magical moment was- when i turned into a passionate kopite, some time in the mid/late 90`s,
      Having been to Anfield a few times in the past few years, i have managed to go to 11/12 games this year as i have found it eaiser to get tickets with membership- having a lump in my throat during
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #140: Apr 10, 2010 08:41:04 pm
      - Hometown team
      - Pretty much the whole family is red, cousins and all

Lived here all me life, pretty simple  :)
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #141: Apr 10, 2010 08:44:47 pm
      youll never walk alone, holding my breath when we looked like scoring- and singing loud and proud with my fellow supporters- i am now a fully fledged Red!
      I hate it when i miss some of a game because of work- and i missed going to watch us beat spurs this year because of a knee operation- (the others went- and i was in front of the telly with my leg up!)
      Getting that tingle down your spine when there is a brilliant atmosphere at Anfield- and of course when we win- and wanting to be left alone for a while when we lose.
      Part time fans are my pet-hate!  Wearing the shirt all proud when we win & disowning your team when they have a tough patch, either support or dont!
      I guess thats the only way i can describe me & liverpool...

(Apologies to the 2 posts- computer doesnt like me!)
      hold 51
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #142: Apr 11, 2010 12:18:33 pm
      been with my wife 35 years

been with my mistress (LFC) 50 years

no contest really!
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #143: Apr 11, 2010 12:36:10 pm
      BY THE GRACE OF GOD BORN A RED
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #144: Apr 11, 2010 01:02:41 pm
      Been a Red since i was 7 seeing robbie fowler piss all over the scum in the 95/96 season, even though my ma and sister are both bitters, and my cousins are mancs
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #145: Apr 11, 2010 01:19:21 pm
      It's a family thing.
      I started watching the reds in the '60s, sitting on my dad's shoulders in the paddock (he said the Kop would be too much for a kid like me). Late '60s, I was in  the Kop on my own.
      From then on ... well, it's just emotional.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #146: Apr 11, 2010 08:36:00 pm
      Because there was no chance I was going to support that other pile of sh*t in this city.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #147: Apr 11, 2010 11:29:25 pm
      Living here in the States there is not a whole lot of other football fans but I had played most my life and my friends were into it. Playing Fifa (Forget which year) at my friend's house one day I picked Liverpool FC and we began to play. Late in the game I scored a thumper from about 30 yards out with Gerrard. Needless to say I rubbed it in my friend face cause it was his game and he looked at me and said, he does that in real life you know...After countless YouTube clips of Gerrard and Fowler and Owen I knew Liverpool was the club for me.

Five years on now I bleed Liverpool Red. Last year in May I visited Anfield with my friend who is a Gooner and took a tour of Anfield. For someone who sits 3000 miles away and watches players like Gerrard and Torres run around on my TV screen and have never seen a proper Football Stadium before I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I walked through the museum in awe of all the history and passion behind LFC and I made my friend watch the Instanbul movie twice  ;D. Needless to say he was being a totally tw*t the whole time but I can say I have seen the Shankly Gates, seen the Kop and that trip was when I truly fell in love with LFC. Through thick or thin, I bleed Liverpool Football Club red!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      norwegianscouse
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts |
      • Justice for the 96
      Reply #148: Apr 11, 2010 11:51:24 pm
      I was hooked after I saw Ian Rush on the telly scoring a lot of goals.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #149: Apr 11, 2010 11:57:23 pm
      I'm pretty similar to most Liverpool based fans. I was more or less born into it. Obviously there's a story behind it all so I'll offer a bit of insight.

I remember mentioning that my Grandad used to play in goal for the army and then, to some extent, for Tranmere Rovers back in the day. During his time with the army, they wouldn't let him go home as he was apparently that good for them. Anyway, I only learned this at his funeral, but Everton came in for him at the peak of his powers (bearing in mind that they were one of the 'richest clubs' in the world back then) and offered him trials. Being the mad Liverpudlian he was, he told them to do one. :D

My Grandad was a season ticket holder for many years, in the Kemlyn, and only gave it up late in the 90's. He was getting too old to go and none of us could afford to take it on. Don't I regret it now? ::)

Moving on somewhat, when I was in Malta last, my Uncle was telling me stories of his trip to Rome in '77 on the Trans Alpino. I'm sure a few of us have read Here We Go Gathering Cups In May. His story was much like this, a few years before the book came out so I'm assuming everyone who went has a story like his, which I love. One little snippet was when they stopped off at some station on the way. A worker there must have seen the £ signs as he was waiting on the platform with a trolley full of crates of lager. Sure enough, there was a crowd around him. One crate got swiped, and the man, in a desperate attempt to claw back some profits, chased the thirsty thief. Unawares that the whole trolley was being carted onto the train by the rest of the crowd. :D

Another Uncle was at the match with my other Grandad when we last won the league. At the end, there's the usual madness and the photographers were piling onto the pitch. My Uncle, who'd obviously pre-empted the freak occurrence that was about to happen (not us winning the league by the way :D) had brought his camera. I mean a downright 80's camera, not a throw away or a little Kodak. When it all went off anyways, he went to the front and started snapping a few pics, and someone ushered him onto the pitch where all the official photographers were going. Not a bad memory from our last league title. You actually see him on the TV coverage getting edged onto the pitch, all surprised. :D

Moving on to my transition from kid to Kopite then. :) As a child, I used to plonk myself down in front of the telly at the weekend and just watch the footy. No-one ever told me who I was supposed to be watching. I just knew it was the team called Liverpool. However, as DLS mentioned, I never really grasped the enormity of it until later on. My Dad was at Hillsborough on that tragic day, and he just stopped going the games regularly after that, so I only really started going when my older brother could afford to go too. I did have some experience of Anfield however. My Grandad, while I was still very young, was a Pools agent for the club. And being the blag artist that was my Grandad, we always ended up in the stadium. I remember looking around, knowing how special it was and how much I loved being there. That memory with my late Grandad will live with me forever.

The only comparison I could give you is that Liverpool Football Club is that it's like the partner you know that you're with for life. You couldn't really tell the nailed on point you fell in love with them. You endure the rough times and enjoy the good times, but you know for a fact that no matter how much they can hurt you and upset you, they'll always be there for you and you'll always be there for them.

I shall bumpski my initial post rather than elaborate again. :)

I surprised myself reading the last bit. :D Amazed at how philosophical I was back last June. :D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #150: Apr 12, 2010 02:37:09 am
      I always played and was interested in football growing up. I had one club I rose from under 8's from, and in Australian rules football (AFL) I also had one club that my family supported from the sixties (Port Adelaide) who were so successful we got into the top league where we are today. The point of that is, I've always felt it not so much important but just natural to support the clubs that are in my blood, as I was born to do so, I think it comes from being a Capricorn also, proud of your tradition and heritage. So like Port Adelaide my old mans team was Liverpool; and Olympiakos; I've proudly inherited all these clubs and couldn't imagine it any other way.

In my first days of High School my German teacher, in a bid to get us more involved in German or something, drew us all football clubs from the Bundesliga and I drew Bayern Munchen. Although I still had AFL as my first love (but always played "soccer") I began to be more interested in watching the world game and it wasn't until a couple of years later that I started watching the Premier League and took a major interest in Liverpool. It's pure coincidence that the clubs I support are outrageously successful and I see many similarities with Pool and Port.. we both love to get sh*t on by the media, love to be hated, so proud of our past. My old man doesn't not love Liverpool but has Olympiakos and Paok he would probably prefer to watch not that he doesn't closely follow Pool, but I inherited a strong love for the Reds as I don't speak Greek that well.

My brother supports Chelsea.... But at least he follows family tradition of Port.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,596 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #151: Apr 12, 2010 05:55:33 pm
      Moved to Notts in 1979 with my mum, dad and wee brother, I was 6. Started watching Liverpool on TV with my DAD, Kenny dalglish, Souness etc.. all scottish players & winning big ears!

Been hooked every since, also developed my hatred for notts forest in that time. and Nottingham in General. Moved back to scotland in 84, Was then the wierdo who liked english footi. and did not like Sellick! But I do support Motherwell & Accies, as they are my local teams.

King Kenny still my Hero.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,129 posts | 3375 
      Reply #152: Sep 19, 2010 02:54:39 am
      Just wondering if anybody else would like to share their stories, been a while since this thread was used.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #153: Sep 19, 2010 03:07:06 am
      I don't want to ramble on, i seriously think i was Born to support LFC. My name is Kenny, our greatest ever player was Kenny himself. I was born in 1982, LFC was established in 1892. I might be an OOT but i absolutely love my club til the day i die, 95% of my life is LFC. And one of these days ill be living in Liverpool. Not the drink talking, Ive already told the family about this. :D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #154: Sep 19, 2010 03:11:42 am
      Out of coincidence my sister was over tonight brought a present for my grandson and she happened to say have you got a lfc top yet for him ,now due to me not using the shop and not going at the moment i said no ,my daughter chirps up oh he has one on the way my heart skipped a beat as my sister said i bet it is a manure top ,i chirped up it better fckin not be ,she soothed my tension by informing me that her partners cousin was a red and so it is the right one and been as i have been on the kop with my girl  i shouldn,t have expected anything different , as she politely told me if it was the other kind he would have grown out of it quickly.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #155: Sep 19, 2010 03:18:13 am
      i used to not follow a team for the good.

My dad followed LFC, i always admired the players and followed the results and what from tength to strength.

My dad converted me and here i am more devoted than him. Loving the youth as well as the first team.
      nlong
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #156: Sep 19, 2010 03:23:07 am
      'Skippy' is my cousin so I came to Liverpool from Australia to watch him play. He told me to stand on the Kop the first time I went to Anfield. At the time I didn't even know what The Kop was. I walked up the stairs and WOW I imedietly fell in love with the club.

YNWA
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #157: Sep 19, 2010 04:09:45 am
      I have no other reason other than at the age of 3 I had no choice other than to follow my heart, go against my family and dedicate myself to 31 years of unbridled love and dedication.
      It was the best following of instict I have ever had.
      I read, listen, watch and dream every day about our beautiful club and no matter what the peak or turmoil, my love grows and hardens every day.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #158: Sep 19, 2010 11:57:36 am
      Rambling on ...... one has to watch the great players of the past to fall in love with the club even more.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #159: Sep 19, 2010 12:12:00 pm
      I'm related to our very own Phil Thompson, so it's pretty much in my blood.  :D
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #160: Sep 19, 2010 04:34:04 pm
      My mam used to to go to Bingo with Ronnie Whelan's mam & she alway's got me
      the latest jersey. Holy sh*t that's 30 years ago and more.

Quick Reply