Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

You and Liverpool...Why?

Read 41830 times
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Re: You and Liverpool...Why?
      Reply #69: Jun 24, 2009 01:48:21 am
      When I was 9 nearly 10 years old in 2001 I felt the shiver go down my spine when I watched the reds for the first time and heard you'll never walk alone and despite knowing little about football and Liverpool I was hooked forever. And I had great pride telling my friends and family I now love football and support Liverpool F.C
      Kizzie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #70: Jun 24, 2009 03:25:38 am
      Sorry kizzie! :) I was only joking!

no probs I just wanted to kno what u meant. I do have bad luck when I travel to watch Liverpool games.  ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #71: Jun 24, 2009 03:54:11 am
      Liverpool is just too special for not being noticed. Every good person in the world should know it :P

I'm brazilian and a lifelong Flamengo fan cause of my family, and for years I never thought I would ever have such a strong feeling for another club. But I remember years ago watching a Liverpool game and the fans were so loud and amazing, Michael Owen was on the pitch (and I loved him cause of THAT goal vs the bloody argies in the WC 98), so I kinda of picked the Reds as my favourite team in England. It didnt take much time for this 'simpathy' to become a huge insanity and I've enjoyed every second of it since then.

I know it doesnt make much sense for a lot of you, supporting 2 teams, but I dont really care. Its 2 different kind of feelings but both stronger than anything.

:)
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #72: Jun 27, 2009 08:24:30 am
      BARLARDAR.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #73: Jun 27, 2009 09:54:05 am
      Because we both are quality  ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #74: Jun 27, 2009 11:34:54 am
      I know it doesnt make much sense for a lot of you, supporting 2 teams, but I dont really care. Its 2 different kind of feelings but both stronger than anything.

:)

I think you have just proven you can support 2 teams. Good story, mate.

One bone i have to pick with though is 'both are stronger than anything'? What if you compared both? One isnt stronger than the other and vice versa so what now? *crowd gasps and steps back* ;) :D
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #75: Jun 27, 2009 12:51:08 pm
      Heart of Midlothian FC are my first love but followed Liverpool from the Mid 1980s. i was only about 6 when watching the 3-1 Final against Everton! Quality... the 1989 final was superb, Mr Rush with quality goals.

Why Liverpool? Well, I want to say Kenny but can't as I think I copied my neighbour (poss 10 at the time) and was given a Liverpool top with gold badge, no sponsor, maybe an umbro top? Mind you he was a Rangers fan who converted to Hibs! My brother was Aberdeen 1980s but is now also Hibs! I hate Hibs. Think the Old Firm is bad..... ?

If Liverpool were ever to play Heart of Midlothian? I think I'd have to take a 2hr walk or something!
      The Heart of Midlothian is on the Royal Mile, the only place in Edinburgh where it is legal to spit! It's good luck!
      Memorial at Haymarket, removed for the trams that nobody wants.

Anyway, Hearts of Glory. The first professional club to put their men forward, rather the men put themselves forward; military training, injections, took there toll. As did battle...7 players.

Hearts of the Somme In Memory of Vol. Rab McLean 29/05/06
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #76: Jun 27, 2009 11:53:15 pm
      My love affair started with Liverpool in the in the 80's I can not exactly remember what year as i was only a child maybe 6 or 7 years old but it was it was family thing passed down to me my from my Dad who in turn had it passed on to him by his Dad it was an Irish connection I believe as when my Grandad came over from Ireland he settled in Liverpool for a while and attended every home game. Then he moved to county Durham but still made the trip to Liverpool for every home Game.

He in turn passed his love for the great club onto my father who in turn passed it on to me I believe the following players were in the team the first time i watched Liverpool Bruce Grobbelaar Phil Neal Alan Kennedy Mark Lawrenson Ronnie Whelan Alan Hansen Kenny Dalglish Sammy Lee Ian Rush Craig Johnston & Graeme Souness and we were playing against Newcastle it was most likely around April as my Dad took me to Anfield for my Birthday.

We were in the Kop and if I remember rightly it was not all seater then as I can remember every one standing as i was sat being held by may father on these white bars with the sound of "you'll never walk alone" echoing around me making the hairs on my neck stand up on end. That is when my love for Liverpool started and the funny thing is I can't even remember if we won or lost that day I was just so Happy with I had just experienced and badgered my Dad to buy me a shirt before we left.

From then on I never took the shirt of my back and i was never seen with out a football by my side I was ridiculed by kids from my neighborhood for wearing a Liverpool shirt. You should support Sunderland Newcastle or Middlesbrough they'd say I did'nt care when we played footy I was allways Dalglish and then when the great man himself retired and became manager I became Ian rush on the footy field.

Then in April 1989 again my Dad took me to a Liverpool game for my birthday this was different tho it was a Cup Game so off we went to Sheffield. The events that unfolded that day strengthened my bond with the club for the rest of my life. I still get emotional when I think about it to the point my eyes are welling are up now as I type.

After this unnecessary Tragedy I immersed myself in all things Liverpool I bought Scrap Book after scrap book cutting out  news paper clippings regarding the tragedy and anything Liverpool filling book after book after book and this emotional bond that I had with this great club just grew stronger & stronger.  I still have these scrap books to this day stored up in my loft along with match day programs and autographs that i could never bear to throw away.

Then as Liverpool moved onwards and upwards I have seen some great players arrive who also became the player I wanted to be on the Footy Pitch the likes of Peter Beardsley  John Aldridge John Barnes Steve Mc Mahon Ray Houghton Ronnie Whealn they were all so good you just wanted be every one of them.

All was great supporting the best team in the Land winning everything there was to win steam rolling the majority of teams who Dared to step out in front of them. They were breath taking Awesome Incredible and I am sure if it had not have been for the Haysel disaster this crop of footballers would have dominated the European competition as they were simply Exhilarating and played some of the best football I have ever witnessed.

Then came the Dark Days (Souness) but you have to support your team and your players through thick and thin and there was a lot of thin times during Souness's Tenure with some terrible signings  and I Stuck with it followed my team and watched them lift the Fa cup in 1992 for me the Highlight of Souness's reign other than that great player he was for our club he set us back 10 years in terms of what we acheived on the pitch before him.

Then Roy Evans became the man and as he started to put his own stamp on the team he also had an exciting crop of youngsters coming through The Macmanamans The Fowlers The Redknaps etc and Liverpool were all of a sudden becoming a very attractive footballing team again. Its unfortunate that Manure also had a crop of exciting youngsters coming through in a similar period as The Liverpool Team under Evans was Good enough for atleast one maybe 2 titles and I believe whole Heartedly had Stan the Man Collywobbles stayed for another season we would have won the league.

Then came the Doomed Houllier/Evans Combo was never going to work was it ? I was sad to see Roy Evans go as far as I was concerned he had made my Liverpool fun & Exciting again and there was a real zip about how played.
      Houllier came tho and started to lay down what seemed as some pretty good foundations for the clubs future with the Academy etc and the team he built in his time were genuine contenders for some parts of tenure and not so much contenders for other parts of it. I liked Houllier and will allways be appreciative to the fact that he showed a lot of faith in players such as Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen but thought he had took us as far as he could and the right time had come for him to be replaced.

Up steps Rafa Benitez if I had known then what I know Now I wouldnt have been screaming for an English manager with an affiliation with the Legendary Boot Room. I can remember Rafa coming In and all of a sudden was Owen was leaving and I was like what the F**k ? "Gutted to say the least heart broken & inconsolable" then these new guys come flooding in Antonio Nunez Luis GarcĂ­a Fernando Morientes and Xabi Alonso most notably.
      I must say I was not overly Impressed we had just lost our Star striker and bought mostly spanish players I had never heard of excluding Morientes. so as the season started and progressed we were inconsistent due more to injuries on key players than anything else and I was understanding about that and gave the Manager time to prove himself before basing an opinion on him. Slowly but surely as the season went on we were doing extremely well in Europe.

I remember that night in night in Instanbull I was in Leeds working on a refit on the Sainsbury's in the White Rose centre on a 6 till 6 night shift. My boss was there bleating on about what he wanted done that night whilst i was nervously checking the time thinking F**k I'm going to miss the match if he doesnt go soon. He eventually went 45 minutes to late and I'd missed the first half. So we jumped in the car and headed of to a pub in Dewsbury we got there just in time for the second half. The others in the pub told us we were  0-3 Down Leeds fans thought they were taking the piss untill the second half kicked off and i seen the score.

I thought F**k work i'm gona get hammered and drown my sorrows and thats what I started to do then we got the goal and I was jumped all over by some Leeds fans cheering us on I thought what the F**k ?. and as teh game went on Not very Long we got a second and they were jumping all over me again and whistling the them tune to the great escape.  I was thinking surely we cant get a third then Gennaro Gattuso pulled down Gerrard in the area and Xabi stepped up I thought I can not watch this but through my fingers that covered my eyes he did and Dida Saved it for a split second I thought oh F**k before I was gain jumped on by a Gang of well pissed up Leeds fans as Xabi Slammed home the rebound.

As teh game wore on through extra time untill Penalties I was a nervous wreck chewing at my finger nails. Then we went to Penalties I felt sick from the pit of my stomach had it in my head weve pulled it back to 3-3 and now were gona get beat on Penalties. Boy was I in for a shock as we Lifted the cup the whole pub of Leeds fans started singing You'll Never Walk Alone to me. I had never felt better or prouder for supporting this Great Club.

Now i feel upbeat about our progress we have made under Rafa and I accept the turn over of players we have had is because Rafa has only had 20 million or so per season to try and build his own team and he has had to wheel and deal in the transfer market shopping sometimes for bosmans and value for money players to build his team. But what a team Rafa has built the spine of our team is now awesome and comparative with any top club in the world and it looks now as Rafa is happy with where we are and is only looking to add quality over quantity.

Its truly amazing what Rafa has achieved here in Five years on a limited Budget and he has in my eyes allready made himself a legend in our great history YNWA Rafa you have made feel great about the future of our special club and I sincerely feel its in good hands and the progress we are making under you can help us win that elusive 19th maybe even this season

Thats my love affair with Liverpool in brief 26 - 27 years of it I have attended Anfield maybe 40 times since I started supporting Liverpool and If I lived closer I'd be there every game even If I  had to sell my Granny. My son is now a Liverpool supporter and I have promised to take him to a few games for Birthdays etc this season he sits and watches the live games with me and his favourite player is Fernando Torres he has all the garb strips track suits etc and he even called our puppy Nando bless him. Maybe just maybe I have bred another fanatical Liverpool supporter
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #77: Aug 15, 2009 01:43:27 am
      We've had a few new folk sign up since this was last posted in, so thought I'd bump it up so they can give us their stories.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #78: Aug 15, 2009 01:47:48 am
      Well i do not have a great story quite simple really my dad took me to a betting shop when i was 4 and football was on and that day i choose Liverpool to win and then from then on i have always supported the club and never looked back.
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #79: Aug 15, 2009 05:25:47 pm
      In 1966 aged seven I started going to Springwood Park to watch South Liverpool (it was cheaper and easier to get to) Then in the early 70's I came across the legend that was James Robert Case, I was absolutely mesmorised by him. In May 73 he moved to my beloved Liverpool Football Club and it seemed quite natural that I should move with him, it was two years before Jimmy Case made his debut for Liverpool, and by then i was well and truly hooked, on watching the greatest football team to ever grace a football pitch. Both my parents and my brother and three sisters were all Blue noses, but not me. In May 1973 my love affair started and it has grown in strength over the last 36 years.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #80: Aug 15, 2009 05:30:28 pm
      Moved down to Nottingham in 1978 with my folks, dad needed a job during recession. Everybody supported Forest, I was scottish, nobody liked me, and I never lliked them, except for a few good mates I made. But I watched Liverpool on tv with dad, winning European cups, leagues etc. and King Kenny was at the heart of it all with souness. moved back to scotland in 83, but kept supporting the reds from then on. Now my wee brother is a red, and my kids are reds as well, cant have them supporting the old firm, its in the blood now!!!. We go to hamilton & motherwell games here, but will bring them down to anfield soon. We went to the rangers liverpool game last year, 4-0 very nice, kids think we win 4-0 all the time now. lolz..
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #81: Aug 15, 2009 05:36:38 pm
      My dad took me to a home game in 1988 at the tender age of 10 years old and i just fell in love with the ground and the club.

All my old man's side of the family are from Liverpool so when we went to visit we'd always try catch a home game if possible, it's just something about this club that makes me feel like nothing else on earth.

Be it the history, the prestige, the legends we've produced or the trophies we've won i don't know but there was never another option other than Liverpool Football Club when it came to following football.
      beardofzeus
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Reply #82: Aug 15, 2009 06:14:29 pm
      As a Yorkshireman, I don't have the geographical alliances many have on here but my affection for Liverpool F.C was brought on by my dad. When I was born in 1983, my dad lived football from playing to watching it live and on TV. Although he was (and still is) a Bradford City fan, he loved watching Liverpool when he could because of the style of football Liverpool made famous. From being in small trousers, I was either in front of the TV watching Liverpool or on the terraces at Bradford. Although I always have liked Bradford to succeed, it was Liverpool that encapsulated my brain as a young child. Not bothered by my scouse alliance, even from a young age, my dad encouraged me to support Liverpool and it just grew! By the time I was playing football, it was Anfield players I was pretening to be and it was a Liverpool shirt on my back. My dad was just happy I hated Leeds, haha.
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #83: Aug 15, 2009 07:48:32 pm
      im an oldy.as in i can remember why i fell in love with LFC 65 cup final.But when i got older.Got the boat from belfast to liverpool,was about 15 with to mates.Got pissed.But up to anny into the Albert.Guy says you over 18m yep .ok quick pint.hellwas a funny day paddy roach the manure keeper put one in his net 3 one i think
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #84: Aug 15, 2009 07:55:29 pm
      My love affair started with Liverpool in the in the 80's I can not exactly remember what year as I was only a child maybe 6 or 7 years old but it was it was family thing passed down to me my from my Dad who in turn had it passed on to him by his Dad it was an Irish connection I believe as when my Grandad came over from Ireland he settled in Liverpool for a while and attended every home game. Then he moved to county Durham but still made the trip to Liverpool for every home Game.

He in turn passed his love for the great club onto my father who in turn passed it on to me I believe the following players were in the team the first time I watched Liverpool Bruce Grobbelaar Phil Neal Alan Kennedy Mark Lawrenson Ronnie Whelan Alan Hansen Kenny Dalglish Sammy Lee Ian Rush Craig Johnston & Graeme Souness and we were playing against Newcastle it was most likely around April as my Dad took me to Anfield for my Birthday.

We were in the Kop and if I remember rightly it was not all seater then as I can remember every one standing as I was sat being held by may father on these white bars with the sound of "you'll never walk alone" echoing around me making the hairs on my neck stand up on end. That is when my love for Liverpool started and the funny thing is I can't even remember if we won or lost that day I was just so Happy with I had just experienced and badgered my Dad to buy me a shirt before we left.

From then on I never took the shirt of my back and I was never seen with out a football by my side I was ridiculed by kids from my neighborhood for wearing a Liverpool shirt. You should support Sunderland Newcastle or Middlesbrough they'd say I did'nt care when we played footy I was allways Dalglish and then when the great man himself retired and became manager I became Ian rush on the footy field.

Then in April 1989 again my Dad took me to a Liverpool game for my birthday this was different tho it was a Cup Game so off we went to Sheffield. The events that unfolded that day strengthened my bond with the club for the rest of my life. I still get emotional when I think about it to the point my eyes are welling are up now as I type.

After this unnecessary Tragedy I immersed myself in all things Liverpool I bought Scrap Book after scrap book cutting out  news paper clippings regarding the tragedy and anything Liverpool filling book after book after book and this emotional bond that I had with this great club just grew stronger & stronger.  I still have these scrap books to this day stored up in my loft along with match day programs and autographs that I could never bear to throw away.

Then as Liverpool moved onwards and upwards I have seen some great players arrive who also became the player I wanted to be on the Footy Pitch the likes of Peter Beardsley  John Aldridge John Barnes Steve Mc Mahon Ray Houghton Ronnie Whealn they were all so good you just wanted be every one of them.

All was great supporting the best team in the Land winning everything there was to win steam rolling the majority of teams who Dared to step out in front of them. They were breath taking Awesome Incredible and I am sure if it had not have been for the Haysel disaster this crop of footballers would have dominated the European competition as they were simply Exhilarating and played some of the best football I have ever witnessed.

Then came the Dark Days (Souness) but you have to support your team and your players through thick and thin and there was a lot of thin times during Souness's Tenure with some terrible signings  and I Stuck with it followed my team and watched them lift the Fa cup in 1992 for me the Highlight of Souness's reign other than that great player he was for our club he set us back 10 years in terms of what we acheived on the pitch before him.

Then Roy Evans became the man and as he started to put his own stamp on the team he also had an exciting crop of youngsters coming through The Macmanamans The Fowlers The Redknaps etc and Liverpool were all of a sudden becoming a very attractive footballing team again. Its unfortunate that Manure also had a crop of exciting youngsters coming through in a similar period as The Liverpool Team under Evans was Good enough for atleast one maybe 2 titles and I believe whole Heartedly had Stan the Man Collywobbles stayed for another season we would have won the league.

Then came the Doomed Houllier/Evans Combo was never going to work was it ? I was sad to see Roy Evans go as far as I was concerned he had made my Liverpool fun & Exciting again and there was a real zip about how played.
      Houllier came tho and started to lay down what seemed as some pretty good foundations for the clubs future with the Academy etc and the team he built in his time were genuine contenders for some parts of tenure and not so much contenders for other parts of it. I liked Houllier and will allways be appreciative to the fact that he showed a lot of faith in players such as Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen but thought he had took us as far as he could and the right time had come for him to be replaced.

Up steps Rafa Benitez if I had known then what I know Now I wouldnt have been screaming for an English manager with an affiliation with the Legendary Boot Room. I can remember Rafa coming In and all of a sudden was Owen was leaving and I was like what the f**k ? "Gutted to say the least heart broken & inconsolable" then these new guys come flooding in Antonio Nunez Luis GarcĂ­a Fernando Morientes and Xabi Alonso most notably.
      I must say I was not overly Impressed we had just lost our Star striker and bought mostly spanish players I had never heard of excluding Morientes. so as the season started and progressed we were inconsistent due more to injuries on key players than anything else and I was understanding about that and gave the Manager time to prove himself before basing an opinion on him. Slowly but surely as the season went on we were doing extremely well in Europe.

I remember that night in night in Instanbull I was in Leeds working on a refit on the Sainsbury's in the White Rose centre on a 6 till 6 night shift. My boss was there bleating on about what he wanted done that night whilst I was nervously checking the time thinking f**k I'm going to miss the match if he doesnt go soon. He eventually went 45 minutes to late and I'd missed the first half. So we jumped in the car and headed of to a pub in Dewsbury we got there just in time for the second half. The others in the pub told us we were  0-3 Down Leeds fans thought they were taking the piss untill the second half kicked off and I seen the score.

I thought f**k work I'm gona get hammered and drown my sorrows and thats what I started to do then we got the goal and I was jumped all over by some Leeds fans cheering us on I thought what the f**k ?. and as teh game went on Not very Long we got a second and they were jumping all over me again and whistling the them tune to the great escape.  I was thinking surely we cant get a third then Gennaro Gattuso pulled down Gerrard in the area and Xabi stepped up I thought I can not watch this but through my fingers that covered my eyes he did and Dida Saved it for a split second I thought oh F**k before I was gain jumped on by a Gang of well pissed up Leeds fans as Xabi Slammed home the rebound.

As teh game wore on through extra time untill Penalties I was a nervous wreck chewing at my finger nails. Then we went to Penalties I felt sick from the pit of my stomach had it in my head weve pulled it back to 3-3 and now were gona get beat on Penalties. Boy was I in for a shock as we Lifted the cup the whole pub of Leeds fans started singing You'll Never Walk Alone to me. I had never felt better or prouder for supporting this Great Club.

Now I feel upbeat about our progress we have made under Rafa and I accept the turn over of players we have had is because Rafa has only had 20 million or so per season to try and build his own team and he has had to wheel and deal in the transfer market shopping sometimes for bosmans and value for money players to build his team. But what a team Rafa has built the spine of our team is now awesome and comparative with any top club in the world and it looks now as Rafa is happy with where we are and is only looking to add quality over quantity.

Its truly amazing what Rafa has achieved here in Five years on a limited Budget and he has in my eyes allready made himself a legend in our great history YNWA Rafa you have made feel great about the future of our special club and I sincerely feel its in good hands and the progress we are making under you can help us win that elusive 19th maybe even this season

Thats my love affair with Liverpool in brief 26 - 27 years of it I have attended Anfield maybe 40 times since I started supporting Liverpool and If I lived closer I'd be there every game even If I  had to sell my Granny. My son is now a Liverpool supporter and I have promised to take him to a few games for Birthdays etc this season he sits and watches the live games with me and his favourite player is Fernando Torres he has all the garb strips track suits etc and he even called our puppy Nando bless him. Maybe just maybe I have bred another fanatical Liverpool supporter

Great post that lad. Your son will definitely be a Red. You do not have to attend every match to be a Redman. You are born to be a proper Red and you sound like one. Good luck mate.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #85: Aug 15, 2009 09:04:26 pm
      My love affair started with Liverpool in the in the 80's I can not exactly remember what year as I was only a child maybe 6 or 7 years old but it was it was family thing passed down to me my from my Dad who in turn had it passed on to him by his Dad it was an Irish connection I believe as when my Grandad came over from Ireland he settled in Liverpool for a while and attended every home game. Then he moved to county Durham but still made the trip to Liverpool for every home Game.

He in turn passed his love for the great club onto my father who in turn passed it on to me I believe the following players were in the team the first time I watched Liverpool Bruce Grobbelaar Phil Neal Alan Kennedy Mark Lawrenson Ronnie Whelan Alan Hansen Kenny Dalglish Sammy Lee Ian Rush Craig Johnston & Graeme Souness and we were playing against Newcastle it was most likely around April as my Dad took me to Anfield for my Birthday.

We were in the Kop and if I remember rightly it was not all seater then as I can remember every one standing as I was sat being held by may father on these white bars with the sound of "you'll never walk alone" echoing around me making the hairs on my neck stand up on end. That is when my love for Liverpool started and the funny thing is I can't even remember if we won or lost that day I was just so Happy with I had just experienced and badgered my Dad to buy me a shirt before we left.

From then on I never took the shirt of my back and I was never seen with out a football by my side I was ridiculed by kids from my neighborhood for wearing a Liverpool shirt. You should support Sunderland Newcastle or Middlesbrough they'd say I did'nt care when we played footy I was allways Dalglish and then when the great man himself retired and became manager I became Ian rush on the footy field.

After this unnecessary Tragedy I immersed myself in all things Liverpool I bought Scrap Book after scrap book cutting out  news paper clippings regarding the tragedy and anything Liverpool filling book after book after book and this emotional bond that I had with this great club just grew stronger & stronger.  I still have these scrap books to this day stored up in my loft along with match day programs and autographs that I could never bear to throw away.

Then as Liverpool moved onwards and upwards I have seen some great players arrive who also became the player I wanted to be on the Footy Pitch the likes of Peter Beardsley  John Aldridge John Barnes Steve Mc Mahon Ray Houghton Ronnie Whealn they were all so good you just wanted be every one of them.

Then came the Dark Days (Souness) but you have to support your team and your players through thick and thin and there was a lot of thin times during Souness's Tenure with some terrible signings  and I Stuck with it followed my team and watched them lift the Fa cup in 1992 for me the Highlight of Souness's reign other than that great player he was for our club he set us back 10 years in terms of what we acheived on the pitch before him.

Up steps Rafa Benitez if I had known then what I know Now I wouldnt have been screaming for an English manager with an affiliation with the Legendary Boot Room. I can remember Rafa coming In and all of a sudden was Owen was leaving and I was like what the f**k ? "Gutted to say the least heart broken & inconsolable" then these new guys come flooding in Antonio Nunez Luis GarcĂ­a Fernando Morientes and Xabi Alonso most notably.

I remember that night in night in Instanbull I was in Leeds working on a refit on the Sainsbury's in the White Rose centre on a 6 till 6 night shift. My boss was there bleating on about what he wanted done that night whilst I was nervously checking the time thinking f**k I'm going to miss the match if he doesnt go soon. He eventually went 45 minutes to late and I'd missed the first half. So we jumped in the car and headed of to a pub in Dewsbury we got there just in time for the second half. The others in the pub told us we were  0-3 Down Leeds fans thought they were taking the piss untill the second half kicked off and I seen the score.

I thought f**k work I'm gona get hammered and drown my sorrows and thats what I started to do then we got the goal and I was jumped all over by some Leeds fans cheering us on I thought what the f**k ?. and as teh game went on Not very Long we got a second and they were jumping all over me again and whistling the them tune to the great escape.  I was thinking surely we cant get a third then Gennaro Gattuso pulled down Gerrard in the area and Xabi stepped up I thought I can not watch this but through my fingers that covered my eyes he did and Dida Saved it for a split second I thought oh F**k before I was gain jumped on by a Gang of well pissed up Leeds fans as Xabi Slammed home the rebound.

Now I feel upbeat about our progress we have made under Rafa and I accept the turn over of players we have had is because Rafa has only had 20 million or so per season to try and build his own team and he has had to wheel and deal in the transfer market shopping sometimes for bosmans and value for money players to build his team. But what a team Rafa has built the spine of our team is now awesome and comparative with any top club in the world and it looks now as Rafa is happy with where we are and is only looking to add quality over quantity.

Thats my love affair with Liverpool in brief 26 - 27 years of it I have attended Anfield maybe 40 times since I started supporting Liverpool and If I lived closer I'd be there every game even If I  had to sell my Granny. My son is now a Liverpool supporter and I have promised to take him to a few games for Birthdays etc this season he sits and watches the live games with me and his favourite player is Fernando Torres he has all the garb strips track suits etc and he even called our puppy Nando bless him. Maybe just maybe I have bred another fanatical Liverpool supporter

Great post mate a true red.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #86: Aug 15, 2009 11:24:46 pm
      Funny story.
      I became a Liverpool fan because of an Arsenal fan.

My roommate was an Arsenal fan in my first year of college and we played FIFA.
      He, of course, chose Arsenal, which at that time were rated 4 stars, and as I was looking for an oponent, he mentioned not to chose ManU or Chelsea because they were rated 5 stars.
      So I chose Liverpool.
      Day after day, I became familiar with the players, I became attached to the team.
      The trend continued into Football Manager, which drove me into researching players and teams on Wikipedia, and so I became acustomed to the team's history.
      That's how the love was born.

P.S.
      ..............Reina..... ..............
      Finnam..Carra...Sami.... Aurelio
      .....Xabi...Stevie....Ri ise.........
      ..............Garcia.... ..............
      .........Kuyt....Bellamy ...........

Were umbeateble.
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #87: Aug 16, 2009 03:07:36 am
      So I don't have any great hand me down stories or anything remotely touching... and it's actually funny. Growing up there was never much football, it wasn't cool, it was all about Aussie Rules, and girls certainly did not play this sport. I got my dad to find me a team that I could play with, and they were all into Serie A (i played for an Italian team). I went on a football camp with a bunch of girls who had gotten selected and they were all talking about this Jamie Redknapp fellow and I had no idea what the heck they were on about...

So i got one of the boys' mags when I got back and sure enough there he was. Jamie "F'ing Hot" Redknapp and he was in a sexy red shirt. So i asked my dad about Liverpool and he said, "Liverpool, no one can stop them" so I was intrigued. Got myself to watch a game and was hooked. Since then, I was about 12 at the time, no other team has stood a chance in my heart.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #88: Aug 17, 2009 10:11:08 am
      Had my first kit in 1980 aged five, my Dad was a big Rush and Dalglish fan and used to watch the games on tv with him. He took me up to my first game at Anfield in 1987 vs Watford (Rushie's last home game before joining Juve) and that just cemented what I already knew.

Knew from then on following and supporting the reds was going to be more like a way of life.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #89: Aug 17, 2009 11:22:39 am
      I have always supported Liverpool because of my Dad's side of the family, they are either Liverpool or Celtic. My Mum's side are all Man City, so it was a choice between them really. My Dad would of never let me support City though so that's why I'm a red.
        I always remember a friendly between Liverpool and City, my Grandad took me (my Mum's side, so a City fan), we ended up losing 2-1 and I don't think i spoke to my Grandad for about two weeks because he was rubbing my nose in it, I was only young and I'd never felt so much emotion before, this was a true realisation point, I loved football, it was an addiction.
         After every match i went to, I'd come home and go straight out onto the field with my mates to try and emulate the sheer brilliance I had witnessed, whether it was a pin point pass from Redknapp or a sublime finish by Fowler, I'd try most of the afternoon to get the skill exactly right. When it eventually got dark I'd go in and run round the house with the ball, dodging my Mum's glass vases as i went. On the occasions where i wasn't so skillful, I'd usually have my pocket money taken off me to buy a new vase, but I didn't mind, it was all part of the fun.
        I can't even remember a time when Liverpool FC hasn't been a massive part of my life, I'v even split up with girlfriends over them :D you know the old saying (it's only a game), absolutely infuriates me! I've argued endlessly with mates, most of the time stuck up their own arse mancs. Most of my mates are mancs and it would mean the world to me if we won number 19, I'm desperate for it.
        I live for the weekend when the boys run out onto the pitch and the Kop is singing You'll Never Walk Alone, there is no better feeling. This club is a big family, there are no other supporters like us.
        When we lose I can't bear it, I can't feel happy, it just feels as if my emotions have been drained. I just normally go for a walk to calm myself down. Luckily, my girlfriend understands my love for the club and leaves me to it, occasionally a hug and a 'it could be worse, you could be a manc comment' which always seems to cheer me up slightly. Even she is starting to become a red slowly and steadily, she starts shouting as loud as me on most occasions now!
       In a nutshell, I love Liverpool Football Club and will support them through thick and thin.

'You'll Never Walk Alone'
      haydzrox
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • Justice for the 96
      Reply #90: Aug 17, 2009 11:29:36 am
      I live in Australia and i came to England in 2002 and did the whole tourist thing, i had heard that Old Trafford was cool so i went there. As a young boy, i thought this was awesome.
      I then went to a family function and told everyone about Old Trafford and how i liked Man u.
      The next day my uncle/cousin/something like that Mark gave me a Liverpool strip and said very sternly, "You will not ever be going for Man u!"
      So i am now a die har Liverpool fan!
      I have also converted a few mates that the reds are the way to go.

Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #91: Aug 17, 2009 11:52:05 am
      I live in Australia and i came to England in 2002 and did the whole tourist thing, i had heard that Old Trafford was cool so i went there. As a young boy, i thought this was awesome.
      I then went to a family function and told everyone about Old Trafford and how i liked Man u.
      The next day my uncle/cousin/something like that Mark gave me a Liverpool strip and said very sternly, "You will not ever be going for Man u!"
      So i am now a die har Liverpool fan!
      I have also converted a few mates that the reds are the way to go.

I wouldn't exactly call you 'die hard' if you loved Utd so much...

Quick Reply