Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Utd to bid £45m bid for striker Villa

Read 2873 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Utd to bid £45m bid for striker Villa
      Jun 15, 2009 10:56:45 am
      Ferguson plots £45m bid for striker Villa
      By Soccernet staff
      June 15, 2009

Manchester United could be about to break the British transfer record by launching a £45m bid for Valencia striker David Villa.

Striker David Villa is nearing a move.

The Daily Mirror report that Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping to beat Real Madrid in the race for Villa's signature who is almost certain to be sold this summer by Valencia who are mired in debt.

Villa is one of the most coveted strikers in the world game and with Barcelona, Chelsea and Real Madrid all chasing the 27-year-old it would be a major coup if Ferguson were successful in luring the Spanish international to Old Trafford.

Real Madrid are widely felt to be the favourites to land the player, but on Sunday Barcelona claimed to have held ''open talks'' with Valencia over Villa.

Barca's vice-president Rafael Yuste told Radio Catalunya: ''There are many players who are interested in coming to play at Barcelona and I think that people have to know this. The talks (over Villa) are absolutely open.''

Matching Valencia's valuation of Villa should not be a problem for United whose coffers are set to be swelled by the £80m deal struck last week with Real Madrid for the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo; some reports claim that Ferguson will be given a total transfer fund of £100m this summer to augment his squad.

However, it is thought Villa himself will make the final decision, and although that is clouded by his involvement in the Confederations Cup in South Africa with the Spanish national team.

He has previously indicated that Real Madrid would be his first choice if Valencia decide to sell.

I personally think this is another piece of transfer bollocks. The fact that they are linked to the top players is because they have the money, and quite simply, they get linked to evey player on the planet because 80 million can buy anyone.. except Gerrard for that matter.

This sh*te is got to stop, the media again uttering complete bullshite, and at the moment lets just wait and see how they go on with their transfer business.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Utd to bid £45m bid for striker Villa
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2009 12:05:50 pm
      I just saw this headline too whilst playing on Fifa. I hope they don't get him.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Jun 15, 2009 12:17:58 pm
      To be honest, I don't think he wants to come to England, and I don't think he's simply motivated by the money.

I'd be extremely surprised to see him sign for United.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #3: Jun 15, 2009 12:22:52 pm

I'd be extremely surprised to see him sign for United.

Really?

I wouldnt be surprised at all - big money move, big pay day, instant celebrity in UK. The lad is a good footballer but the one thing he isnt is modest. He would suit the big heads of Utd.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #4: Jun 15, 2009 12:25:20 pm
      Maybe, it just seems like ages that everyone's been wanting him and he hasn't budged, why would he now?

Plus it seems obvious that if he has any say in the matter he won't be leaving Spain.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #5: Jun 15, 2009 12:30:53 pm
      Maybe, it just seems like ages that everyone's been wanting him and he hasn't budged, why would he now?

Plus it seems obvious that if he has any say in the matter he won't be leaving Spain.

He just seems like the sort of player who loves the attention. Unfortunately theres not much more attention than playing for United currently..... and the poster boy space is now available. I know its for all the wrong reasons - it'll certainly determine the character of the lad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #6: Jun 15, 2009 12:38:27 pm
      Really?

I wouldnt be surprised at all - big money move, big pay day, instant celebrity in UK. The lad is a good footballer but the one thing he isnt is modest. He would suit the big heads of Utd.

He won't be going to United, heard several times in reports that he wants to stay in Spain, plus if he is such a big-headed player, then he would also suit Madrid and Barca (the European Champions), rather than the inbreds of Manchester.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Jun 15, 2009 01:16:08 pm
      Why would anyone go to UTD when their Manager is fast approaching 70. They coul dsign for UTD and then find Ferguson leaves after 1 season so I think that will now be a factor in UTD signing players. Villa wont come to England he has said it often enough and lets face it Real are a bigger club than UTD anyway.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Jun 15, 2009 01:31:32 pm
      But he's publically stated that that he wants to say in Spain??
      Real are after him and I believe that that's a done deal?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jun 15, 2009 01:37:55 pm
      He won't be going to United, heard several times in reports that he wants to stay in Spain, plus if he is such a big-headed player, then he would also suit Madrid and Barca (the European Champions), rather than the inbreds of Manchester.

It is true, as long as  a Spanish clubs is in the race Manure are going to have a tough time getting him to come to England.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Jun 15, 2009 06:56:10 pm
      I've heard he wants to stay in Spain as well, well who wouldn't?

I have a lot of admiration for him as a player which will drastically reduce if he signs for the scum.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: Jun 15, 2009 07:37:20 pm
      He can go where he wants. He can't stop us winning the league next season, and he's half the player his international striker partner is.

No I don't mean Llorente.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: Jun 15, 2009 07:37:58 pm
      He'll go to Barcelona.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 15, 2009 10:31:22 pm
      Hard ball line by Villa's team

If Real wants him, they will buy him and I can see them just being poked for more money
      If Barca wants him, I suspect Villa will do his best to get them as the #1 team

I would be willing to bet United is 3rd on the list of teams he ends up at
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #14: Jun 15, 2009 10:33:14 pm
      Hard ball line by Villa's team

If Real wants him, they will buy him and I can see them just being poked for more money
      If Barca wants him, I suspect Villa will do his best to get them as the #1 team

I would be willing to bet United is 3rd on the list of teams he ends up at

Valencia need the money though, they are currently in a financial mess.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #15: Jun 15, 2009 10:36:52 pm
      I don't care where he goes to be honest.

I don't care who gets the second-rate striker as long as I know the best striker is wearing the red of Liverpool.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 15, 2009 10:38:55 pm
      Valencia need the money though, they are currently in a financial mess.

Oh, I agree 100%

I just think that Real will end up ponying up in the end IF they want him and Barca will give enough to satisfy them.

United will have the money but I really think David wants to head to Spain very well before United. I guess maybe he will need to do some talking/negotiating with Barca and Valencia
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 15, 2009 10:47:19 pm
      He is on his peak.... would he come to england or play for spains biggest club????

Real Madrid player by June 30...
      musu
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts | -1 
      Reply #18: Jun 26, 2009 02:36:38 am
      Now that Valencia rejected Madrid's bid, do you guys think it was because they want more money or that in spite of their current condition, they just can't bare to see him as a meringue?

After watching him pout his way though the confederations cup, I've lost a lot of respect for him.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #19: Jun 26, 2009 03:01:53 am
      Now that Valencia rejected Madrid's bid, do you guys think it was because they want more money or that in spite of their current condition, they just can't bare to see him as a meringue?

After watching him pout his way though the confederations cup, I've lost a lot of respect for him.

C'mon, he said himself its been hard not knowing what his situation was and still scored 3 goals in 4 games. He may have seem distracted, but its understandable. I haven't lost any respect for him, i don't think he pouted his way hardly either.
      redsonfire
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Jun 26, 2009 05:05:49 am
      I doubt United will splash 45mil on this lad really. Didn't they have a new transfer policy which was to not pay over the odds for a player above 27? They claimed that Berbatov is the last player over 27 who was bought for such a huge sum of money. If that transfer policy is true, then I don't see why are they still linking themselves to Ribery, Villa etc.

Transfer target Villa says he's staying in Spain
      Villa has been the subject of intense transfer speculation for the last few weeks, with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United and Chelsea all being linked with the Spain hitman.

Madrid had appeared to be in pole position only for cash-strapped Valencia to declare last week that Villa was no longer for sale and that they would only change their mind if a massive offer came in for the 27-year-old.

That has not stopped transfer speculation though, and now Spanish media believe Barca are leading the chase for the prolific forward, with suggestions of a bid of around £45m.

Villa, who is currently on international duty with Spain at the Confederations Cup in South Africa, has been been quiet on his future for the last few days, having last week revealed that he had made his mind up on where he wanted to play next season, although without saying what that decision was.

''A week ago my future was clear, and now it's not,'' Villa was quoted as telling Spanish television channel Cuatro.

''I've been through some tough moments, which are partly my own fault, but I decided to put it all aside and I've not thought about it in the last five days.''

The Euro 2008 winner is sure about one thing though, insisting that he wants to continue playing in La Liga.

He said: ''When I said I had taken a decision it was true, and this decision is that next season I will play in Spain because it is the league that is best for me, I will not go abroad.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=657368&sec=transfers&cc=4716
      Red34
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 26, 2009 05:12:19 am
      cant really say if its true or not... heard they also wanted to bid 60mil for Aguero. and were interested in torres.... you never now!

Quick Reply