Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Celtic appoint Mowbray

Read 2104 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Celtic appoint Mowbray
      Jun 16, 2009 05:33:19 pm
      Celtic appoint Mowbray

Scottish Premier League giants Celtic have confirmed the appointment of Tony Mowbray as their new manager.

The Glasgow outfit have been on the lookout for a suitable replacement for Gordon Strachan since the end of the 2008/09 campaign.

Numerous names were linked with the vacant post, but it is Mowbray who has landed the job.

The former Hoops defender, who spent four years at Parkhead as a player, will be officially unveiled on Wednesday.

Mowbray has spent the last two years in charge of West Brom, overseeing promotion to and then relegation from the Premier League.

Highly-rated

He cut his managerial teeth in Scotland with Hibernian in 2004, enjoying a productive two-year spell at Easter Road prior to his switch to the Hawthorns.

He has now agreed to take on a new challenge with Celtic and the Old Firm giants are delighted to have landed a man held in high regard within coaching circles.

"Celtic Football Club is delighted today (Tuesday) to confirm that Tony Mowbray has been appointed the new Celtic manager," read a statement on the club's official website.

"Tony will be joined at Celtic by Mark Venus, Peter Grant and Neil Lennon in the new Celtic management team.

"This is fantastic news for the club and we look forward to officially unveiling Tony as the new Celtic manager at a news conference at Celtic Park tomorrow (Wednesday, 17th June) at 10am."
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Celtic appoint Mowbray
      Reply #1: Jun 16, 2009 05:35:08 pm
      This comment made me laugh:

Richard Mcgovern (West Bromwich Albion fan)

"What a terrible step backwards, leaving a team with the prospect of playing in the best league of the world and joining the managerial easy-ride no-effort-required that is the celtic job. Enjoy that joke of a team in that joke of a league tony, I thought you had more ambition."
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2009 05:36:10 pm
      This comment made me laugh:

Richard Mcgovern (West Bromwich Albion fan)

"What a terrible step backwards, leaving a team with the prospect of playing in the best league of the world and joining the managerial easy-ride no-effort-required that is the celtic job. Enjoy that joke of a team in that joke of a league tony, I thought you had more ambition."
      Enjoy the Championship Richard
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jun 16, 2009 05:37:31 pm
      I think if I was a manager I would prefer to manage West Brom but then again the Champions League may sway my decision actually.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,224 posts | 1647 
      Reply #4: Jun 17, 2009 11:25:14 am
      IMO it shows how poor the SPL is, that the top side (well 2nd best if we go by league) is employing a manager who just finished bottom of the prem. Really is a massive gulf between the leagues.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #5: Jun 18, 2009 12:37:54 am
      They dont half get the experienced managers in O Neill- Wycombe,Leicester Strachen-Coventry Mowbray- West Brom
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #6: Jun 18, 2009 10:34:55 pm
      So Glasgow Celtic have appointed a Manager who took WBA into relegation, fairly easily, and they are going to compete in the Champions League how?
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 19, 2009 12:59:10 am
      joke of a appointment,
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #8: Jun 19, 2009 04:34:44 am
      I actually thought in terms of football WBA played a well structured and easy on the eye style of footy.

I think they lacked the personnel in key positions especially in the striking department to stay up.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #9: Jun 19, 2009 04:46:26 am
      I'll say good luck to Mowbray. Its a new chapter in his career and I'm sure he is very excited, and the prospect of champions league football makes him wet as well.

Thought West Brom were well organized to be honest, just lacked the players like what Dadorious said.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jun 23, 2009 01:50:57 am
      I think Tony Mowbray is a very promissing manager despite finishing bottom of the EPL, in fact I believe WBA played some good football sometimes in the games but they just werent good and strong enough for the way they tried to play. You cant expect to outplay much better teams with such a weak defence and only 1 defensive midfielder in the squad, I think Tony should of have adappted better for his reality in the top division. But still, he can make his teams to play very good football and I was looking forward to see WBA getting back to the EPL with him, stronger next time. Now I hope he does well for Celtic, but I feel a bit sad for the Baggies. Big loss.
      Red34
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 26, 2009 05:24:38 am
      nothing unexpected

Quick Reply