Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 364867 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #115: Jun 30, 2009 01:46:33 pm
      I don't really rate him (I HAVE NOT YET RATED HIM) maybe I should have said I don't have an opinion on him as I have not watched him play enough.

That would have been a fairer comment
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #116: Jun 30, 2009 02:14:10 pm
      Great signing chuffed to bits with it because he is going to add a new dimension to the red machine. Welcome to the peoples club Glenny lad and good luck. Let the rafalution continue... YNWA
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #117: Jun 30, 2009 06:05:17 pm
      Lawrenson on Johnson

Given how much I banged on about Liverpool lacking match-winners last season, I wouldn’t have thought spending £17million on a right-back would have been the solution to their problems.

But when that right-back is Glen Johnson I happen to think it could be a very sound investment.

Because Johnson is a match-winner. The last time I saw him play was at the end of the campaign when England played Andorra and he set up four of the goals.

Now I appreciate the opposition was worse than second rate but it was a performance that summed up what the player is all about.

He gets forward and causes defenders problems – gives them something extra to worry about in their own third of the field – and has the accuracy in his delivery to create goal-scoring opportunities.

And that will be absolutely vital to Liverpool in their attempts to break teams down next season.

This is, of course, only going to come true if Johnson actually plays to the best of his ability but I can’t see any reason why he won’t.

His confidence should be sky high after a season in which he has made himself England’s first-choice right-back.

Ahead of the World Cup next summer, it is his shirt to lose now, and that’s a great incentive to take into next season – he should be flying by the time he finally takes to the field in the red of Liverpool.

Another issue surrounding the player would of course be his price tag – but I just don’t think defenders have the same pressure to live up to a high price as a forward does.

With centre-forwards it’s all about how many goals they get and how they fit in to a system. That’s why there was so much scrutiny on Robbie Keane last year and the pressure of trying to fit in around Fernando Torres and also making sure he got his own game right.

Neither happened and the whole transfer saga was quickly consigned to the history books.

But there isn’t the same burden on full-backs to fit in to a side. The role is clearly defined and it has also become one of the most valuable positions on the pitch now.

I remember when I became Liverpool’s record signing from Brighton in 1981 and the pressure was taken off me by Bob Paisley saying that it was my versatility which made me worth the money in his opinion.

And it’s the versatility of the modern full-back that makes one well worth the investment.

They are the people who probably see more of the ball than anyone else on the field and Johnson loves being on the ball.

And the likes of Yossi Benayoun and Dirk Kuyt will love that because Johnson’s danger will pre-occupy defenders enough to give them more freedom to create.

Yes, there are bound to be questions and raised eyebrows about spending so much money on a right-back.

But if that particular right-back ends up playing his part in a first title-winning campaign for 20 years, then nobody will mention the price again.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #118: Jun 30, 2009 09:46:15 pm
      Has Johnson said a word about signing for us?
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #119: Jun 30, 2009 09:52:16 pm
      Has Johnson said a word about signing for us?

I think he's saving it for the press conference.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #120: Jun 30, 2009 10:05:08 pm
      Its official tomorrow isnt it?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #121: Jun 30, 2009 10:07:11 pm

Apparently so mate yeah, I think it'll be tommorow when he wears the shirt, gets photo's taken etc.
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #122: Jul 01, 2009 08:57:43 am
      anyone knows when he's going to get a photo with rafa and lfc shirt?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #123: Jul 01, 2009 09:14:33 am
      anyone knows when he's going to get a photo with rafa and lfc shirt?

Soon.  :P

Today or the next couple of days, I imagine, I doubt they'll hang around too long before unveiling them.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #124: Jul 01, 2009 09:23:45 am
      Can't wait to see him in the Liverpool shirt ;)

I think he's going to be a very pivotal signing for us to challenge for the title, honestly. His crosses are pinpoint, and he is going to rack up loads of assists for Torres :)

I'll imagine its today that Johnson gets unveiled. 1st July means its his official transfer to the club and I can't wait!
      Yonas haile
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #125: Jul 01, 2009 09:33:07 am
      Well come and I hope you'll prove me wrong.

I think he is a good right-back player. But I am on question mark over the price ... again please prove me wrong.
      « Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009 12:13:50 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Merged posts, corrected spelling. »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #126: Jul 01, 2009 11:39:09 am
      unfortunatley thats the price you have to pay for englands first choice rightback
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #127: Jul 01, 2009 12:24:47 pm
      cant wait to see glen playing for us a bit to much money but i think he will be worth it any news on arbeloa staying or going ?
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #128: Jul 01, 2009 12:45:58 pm
      i dont really care bout arbeloa now that we have g.Johnson :P i hope he goes to R.Madrid and take our lovely millions. I HOPE IS MILLIONS AND NOT MILLION!!! :D
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #129: Jul 01, 2009 12:47:58 pm
      Possibly waiting for confirmation of another signing before unveiling him? So they can do it as a double to save a bit of time?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #130: Jul 01, 2009 04:16:04 pm
      Possibly waiting for confirmation of another signing before unveiling him? So they can do it as a double to save a bit of time?

I was thinking the same. He signed for us the same day Santa Cruz signed for City didn't he? And I don't think Santa Cruz has left Eastlands yet. He's still having pictures taken!

I assume he has had his medical? But usually some photographer hiding in a bush would have taken a picture of him at Melwood?

Anyway, I think it is highly likely that they are finishing another deal before unveiling Johnson. If that is happening, how fast and quiet are we at transfers without Parry! :D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #131: Jul 01, 2009 04:18:33 pm
      Well if that's the case, then that's fantastic!

Can't help but think we would have heard at least something though.

Maybe it is Del Piero after all?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #132: Jul 01, 2009 04:26:50 pm
      Well if that's the case, then that's fantastic!

Can't help but think we would have heard at least something though.

Maybe it is Del Piero after all?

:-\ True. Wonder who it is, if we are waiting to finish a deal? Still I wouldn't complain if we managed to do a deal without the media commentating on every aspect of the move!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #133: Jul 01, 2009 04:32:39 pm
      A Villa or Silva deal without press coverage?

Surely not :D

It is strange though that Johnson hasn't been revealed today.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #134: Jul 01, 2009 04:37:38 pm
      A Villa or Silva deal without press coverage?

Surely not :D

It is strange though that Johnson hasn't been revealed today.

I can live in hope can't I! :D

It is strange and it only adds to the belief that we're waiting on a deal to be finished. Although is Rafa back from his holiday?
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #135: Jul 01, 2009 04:38:46 pm
      I can live in hope can't I! :D

It is strange and it only adds to the belief that we're waiting on a deal to be finished. Although is Rafa back from his holiday?

I doubt he is on holiday, he's always thinking about Liverpool so he has his holiday in the office! :D

Maybe he has a deal wrapped up already and about to be revealed soon, so that both players can be revealed officially.
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #136: Jul 01, 2009 11:50:28 pm
      i have thought its been abit quite recently, hopefully looking at a big signing, or a signing from under the noses of another big team, villa, tevez, silva, not sure.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #137: Jul 02, 2009 09:25:03 am
      The lad came back from his holiday early to have a medical and sign a contract just proves hes eager to get going. Hopefully he performs for us like he did for Pompey. Well done Rafa on this one, just need silva now.

Quick Reply