Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 363298 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #1587: Nov 06, 2011 12:45:33 pm
      Rumours are Madrid are going to make a move for him in January.

Real Madrid are planning January loan moves for Carlos Tevez and Glen Johnson

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/2011/11/06/real-madrid-are-planning-january-loan-moves-for-carlos-tevez-and-glen-johnson-102039-23541066/

REAL MADRID plan to look into January moves for Carlos Tevez and Glen Johnson.

Boss Jose Mourinho met club president Florentino Perez on Friday and outlined the need for a forward and defender.

Manchester City’s Tevez is of interest but any deal would be in the form of a subsidised loan.

And they may turn to Liverpool defender Johnson as they look for back up for Spanish international Alvaro Arbeloa.

Ajax full-back Gregory van der Wiel also interests them, but would not be allowed to move until the end of the season, so Madrid have added Johnson to their options.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #1588: Nov 06, 2011 12:58:56 pm
      It would be comical to let johnson go out on loan to madrid,pure comical when a team like our's is stuttering to get results.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1589: Nov 06, 2011 01:00:28 pm
      Can't see it happening to be honest Shabs, didn't we just sign him up to a long term deal in the summer and Commoli was very wax Lyrical about him at the time stating he's coming to the age where defenders generally peak.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1590: Nov 06, 2011 01:02:39 pm
      I can see us selling him to be honest. We need money for other positions and going on Fsg transfer policy. He is one of our few saleable assets at the moment. I think it will weaken our team because i dont see Kelly anywhere near as good as some people on here
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #1591: Nov 06, 2011 01:04:43 pm
      The thing is daz we have a problem on the right side of midfield surely that would be the ideal slot for him if kelly is knocking on the door.To push him out on loan if the rumour is true under this ownership and mangement is just as bad as when he was spoken of highly by hodgson.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #1592: Nov 06, 2011 01:07:10 pm
      Won't be going anywhere.

Especially not on loan.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1593: Nov 06, 2011 01:09:09 pm
      People need to remember that he's only just back from injury and has only played a handful of competitive games.

Once he's fully fit we'll be seeing the best in him. I have faith in him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #1594: Nov 06, 2011 01:14:42 pm
      Would be more than happy to cash in on him.  Don't think he has done much for us in the 2 years or whatever he has been here.

Both the contract extensions for him and Kuyt are, in my opinion all about protecting the value of our assets, and not necessarily because we want them to play for us forever.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #1595: Nov 06, 2011 01:15:55 pm
      You think he is poor every week though jd.

Only the weeks he plays.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1596: Nov 06, 2011 01:18:57 pm
      I think you ll get your wish this summer jd. I think he will be sold
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #1597: Nov 06, 2011 01:21:13 pm
      Glen has quality no doubt about it but we're paying £100k+ a week, we have Kelly who IMO is just as good if not better and young Flanno who looks like to be a future star for us.

So for me it would make sense to cash in.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1598: Nov 06, 2011 06:20:43 pm
      I can see us selling him to be honest. We need money for other positions and going on Fsg transfer policy. He is one of our few saleable assets at the moment. I think it will weaken our team because i dont see Kelly anywhere near as good as some people on here

Well, a fullback on Glen Johnson's wages is clearly a luxury for an Europa League club. I think that his status at LFC would depend on where we will be playing next season. Of course, he is a better right full back than Kelly at the moment.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1599: Nov 06, 2011 06:29:51 pm
      Could easily see him being sold, we have excellent cover and if it provides us with a decent winger I'd be happy enough. I do think Kelly is a bit off his standard but not far away and the wage savings would be massive allowing us to offer a true superstar a nice wage package. Don't think Johnson gets the credit he deserves and is always pulled up on his positioning difficulties, however going forward he's outstanding and I've always called for him to be tried on the wing as have many others.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1600: Nov 06, 2011 06:38:51 pm
      Why are we still thinking of wages. We saved 30million in wages this summer.  Are about the fifth or sixth biggest wage bill. We are comfortably complying with the fair play rules. Maybe im wrong but someone can correct me if i am have any team outside the top three biggest wage bills in a premiership ever win it.   
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1601: Nov 06, 2011 06:45:04 pm
      I'm not thinking about cutting wage bills, I'm looking about freeing up more to bring in exceptional players in positions we're severely lacking, namely the wings and up front. If we save £100k from Johnson and then bring in 2 players for £100k+ a week we'll still be fine. It just makes sense from a business point of view and a developmental point of view as Kelly is ready for the first team in my opinion, his injury history is my biggest worry not his talent as he has that, just needs some work on his ability to take people on but defensively he's better than Johnson already.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1602: Nov 06, 2011 06:49:53 pm
      We cut 30million off the wage bill already does that free up enough money. I actually think he will be sold though if we dont getting champions league
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #1603: Nov 06, 2011 07:00:06 pm
      We cut 30million off the wage bill already does that free up enough money. I actually think he will be sold though if we dont getting champions league

Agree mate and it looks less likely we will on current form as we are dropping points while our competitors for that spot keep winning.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1604: Nov 06, 2011 07:03:13 pm

I suspect 2 others will be sold too if we don't get CL.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1605: Nov 06, 2011 07:16:45 pm
      I think Kuyt may go as well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1606: Nov 06, 2011 09:21:20 pm
      Of course, he is a better right full back than Kelly at the moment.

Evidence would suggest otherwise.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1607: Nov 06, 2011 09:47:35 pm
      What evidence if jarvis did to Johnson what he did to Kelly people who still be talking about it in twelve months time. The only evidence i see is Kenny and capello think otherwise also Johnson stats are much higher according to opta so what evidence are u actually talking about it
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #1608: Nov 06, 2011 10:18:27 pm
      Two clean sheets in the last two games suggest that Jonno coming in hasn't upset the balance of the back four in any way. I'd like to think we'll be back in the Champions League next year and that will mean we'll be needing Jonno, Kelly and young Flanno for the right-back slot.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1609: Nov 06, 2011 11:54:36 pm
      What evidence if jarvis did to Johnson what he did to Kelly people who still be talking about it in twelve months time.

So are we now comparing players based on one performance?

It's just my opinion that since Martin Kelly has been in the side, both last season and this, that he has been better at RB than Glen. I feel he is more solid at the back, very rarely makes a mistake and offers just as much going forward albeit in a less flashy way than Johnson does.

I'm not saying Glen is a bad player as I do rate him as you know Corbally but as far as I have seen Kelly has been the better player over the last year.

I also quoted the post as once again Mac_Red has passed his opinion off as fact when it is not as clear cut as he implies that Johnson is the better RB at the minute.

Some may feel he is and others may not.

Quick Reply