Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 364913 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2277: Nov 10, 2013 08:38:34 am
      We miss Glen massively when he is out.

I'm one who did criticise him from time to time but in a Brendan Rodgers side I don't see a better full back than Glen and although Flanno might not have done anything drastically wrong today I feel that is missing the point. He just doens't give us what Glen Johnson gives us, especially in this formation, and was just a steday limited player today instead of the calls act that Johnson is on his best days.

Being honest though you was right to criticise him because his performances at the time weren't cutting it. When on his game though he is one of my favourite Liverpool players to watch because he can get involved with the little 1-2 passing, he can beat players and his shooting sometimes puts a few strikers to shame. We definitely missed him against Arsenal.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2278: Nov 11, 2013 10:17:47 am
      Probably our 2nd or 3rd most important player. A constant outlet and only real width in the current set up. Has the little bit extra in the opposite penalty area that others don't have. He might not execute the final pass or shot every time but I'm damn more confident with the ball at his feet in them areas that a lot of other players.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2279: Nov 11, 2013 11:47:32 am
      I've realised just how important the full back positions are. Further, I've realised despite past criticism, just how important Johnson and Enrique are to our team.. Especially after the displays of Flanagan and Cissokho
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2280: Nov 11, 2013 03:34:53 pm
      He ripped Richardson to pieces, even more sweet seeing as he is ex-manc.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2281: Nov 11, 2013 06:35:08 pm
      Best right back in the league, bar none.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #2282: Nov 12, 2013 06:03:34 am
      I've always liked Glen, but I hope he doesn't repeat the second half of the last season, which I think was the worst period of his career.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2283: Nov 12, 2013 02:50:26 pm
      He was outstanding yesterday. In those games where we dominate is when he is at his best. Ran past Fulham defenders like he was a winger. Whether that was a reflection on how sh*t they were or not, Glen took the piss at times. Top performance.

Still can't cross for sh*t, though. Neither of our fullbacks can really.

All that is missing is his trademark goal of the season contender. Against Everton will do!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2284: Nov 12, 2013 08:35:15 pm

Yep

This all over
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2285: Nov 25, 2013 12:28:51 am
      I thought he had an absolute shocker Saturday. Another one of those games where he needed a rocket up his arse. Far to casual in possession, far too lightweight in defence and his end product in attack was again sh*te.

Really pisses me off because on the odd occasion he grits his teeth and takes more care in his work, he's boss.

Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #2286: Dec 01, 2013 06:39:28 pm
       The worst game I've seen from him in a while.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #2287: Dec 01, 2013 06:51:58 pm
      Been weak for two years now. Very overrated.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #2288: Dec 01, 2013 06:54:13 pm

Must be at least 5 right backs I'd take over him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2289: Dec 02, 2013 01:56:31 pm

I respect that opinion (though I disagree), but would you bother name them?
      Stewie89
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #2290: Dec 02, 2013 02:39:47 pm

Apologies for butting in  :)

I'm not so sure about that. I wouldn't say GJ is the best right back either though. Personally I think he would be sitting in the middle of what you and Diego LFC say. Some people would argue that Walker and Sagna are better and I can see their reason, even if I am not in agreement. I can also see why people would state the case for Rafael and dare I say Seamus Coleman. The only two I would argue to be better would be Ivanovic and Zabaletta.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #2291: Dec 02, 2013 03:17:17 pm

Spot on mate
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2292: Dec 02, 2013 06:52:57 pm
      Apologies for butting in  :)

I'm not so sure about that. I wouldn't say GJ is the best right back either though. Personally I think he would be sitting in the middle of what you and Diego LFC say. Some people would argue that Walker and Sagna are better and I can see their reason, even if I am not in agreement. I can also see why people would state the case for Rafael and dare I say Seamus Coleman. The only two I would argue to be better would be Ivanovic and Zabaletta.

Not a fan of Walker, to be honest, for me he's nothing but a worse version of Johnson.
      I like Sagna and think he is probably the best defender of them all, but going forward he's quite limited.
      I'm starting to warm to Coleman, especially under Martinez, but I haven't watched enough of Everton to make up my mind. He does seem to be a very interesting player though.
      I think Zabaleta is grossly overrated but I'm probably alone here - anyway, for me he's the kind of player who was once so underrated that he became overrated. He was sh*t at the start of his career with City so after a significant improvement, it became consensus that he was a great fullback. I'm not saying he's a bad player, just think he's a limited footballer in a good side.

I know it's Johnson's thread, but I couldn't resist some general football talk :P
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #2293: Dec 02, 2013 07:50:25 pm
      having Sterling and moses playing seemed to dull Johnson and Flanno's attacking instincts.Johnson may not be the best defensive fullback but inform he gives us such great attacking options and he must be a nightmare to defend against.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #2294: Dec 02, 2013 09:09:55 pm
      I do have a slight love for Sagna, not sure why I just do. He's a great right back defensively and he has a fantastic cross on him, he does his job properly.

On the other hand I think Glen has a bet on with someone in the team that he will take the ball past 5 players and score, which is why he seems to be under the impression that he's Maradona.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2295: Dec 05, 2013 09:10:15 am
      I have been a big fan & supporter of Johnson, but based on current form he needs dropping.

If only we had Enrique fit and/or a good back up RB with similar attacking nous, so we could drop/rest Johnson to kick him back into form.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #2296: Dec 05, 2013 11:53:00 am
      Seriously GJ must have been told about 3 weeks ago his contract is not getting renewed because his most recent performances have been absolutely shocking.

If Enrique was back we would have to replace johnson with flanno on current form.

Everythings been going down the left with flanno and redmond tortured johnson last night without even trying. He out paced and cut inside like it was nothing.

Not impressed.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #2297: Dec 07, 2013 10:46:50 pm
      What a cross for Luis goal today.

Perfection.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2298: Dec 07, 2013 11:50:24 pm
      Apart from his cross for Suarez I think he had another poor game. He doesn't seem to be on the same wave length as the rest of the team, he's struggling to beat his man and is no where to be seen defensively, constantly when he is losing the ball up field or if another player does when he is up in their half he is making no effort to get back, just casually jogging and countless times over the last few games a dangerous ball has been played into the area he should be and we have either conceded or been put under pressure because he is no where to be seen meaning Skrtel is having to change his position to basically cover and leaving too many gaps in the defence.

IMO he is playing like someone who has been told he wont be getting a new contract so he isn't putting the effort in anymore. Not impressed.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #2299: Dec 15, 2013 06:23:48 pm
      Our only negative today tbh. Got beaten easily on couple of occasions and misplaced some passes. Can't wait to see him replaced by a reliable full back.

Quick Reply