Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 361168 times
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2737: Aug 18, 2014 10:12:45 am
      Moreno straight in for his debut against City then?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,355 posts | 6395 
      Reply #2738: Aug 18, 2014 12:35:47 pm
      He seems to not be as focused as he should be and not understand situational football.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2739: Aug 18, 2014 01:00:37 pm
      Moreno straight in for his debut against City then?

No doubt about it, the only disappointment for me is if Brendan puts Glen back in at RB. I'd stick with Manquillo and finally put the first nail in the career coffin of Glen Johnson. Far too long he's been carried and has infuriated the hell out of me.

We will improve massively with Moreno in the side, really think it will be like a revelation for us to have someone capable in that position.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2740: Aug 18, 2014 06:11:01 pm
      it is a bit odd isn't it.  Everyone talks about backing the players to the hilt no matter what but they don't seem to have any problem taking a hiding to Glen Johnson.

Same thing happened with Joe Cole.  They hated him. 

That's because Johnson has been sh*te for a good few seasons now and looks like he isn't even bothered.

He was awful yet again against Saints. Davis so nearly scored by having so much space where he should have been, had no awareness of what was behind him. Just stood there and watched too as they scored.

Sooner he is out the team the better.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2741: Aug 18, 2014 06:30:34 pm
      it is a bit odd isn't it.  Everyone talks about backing the players to the hilt no matter what but they don't seem to have any problem taking a hiding to Glen Johnson.

Same thing happened with Joe Cole.  They hated him. 

It's one thing with a guy like Lucas that no matter what cares about the club and supporters(even if not good enough anymore) or even a Aly Cissokho because at least you could say he was trying and giving his all.

Glen don't give flying fck and has not for some time, he got his big fat contract from Damien a few years back, keeps his England shirt and has been coasting ever since.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,808 posts | 6759 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2742: Aug 19, 2014 07:50:12 am
      Which one is Glen?  :D

Liverpool players surprised defender Glen Johnson by throwing him a secret birthday bash as the defender turned 30.

"The players, celebrating a hard-fought 2-1 win over Southampton on Sunday afternoon, also added comedy masks of the defender. Team-mates Brad Jones, Joe Allen, Philippe Coutinho, Sebastian Coates, Fabio Borini and Lucas Leiva donned the masks for their night out.

However, the masks didn't leave Liverpool fans dreaming of a team of Glen Johnsons, in fact, the defender was roundly criticised for his performance in the win against Southampton."

Multiple users on Twitter were vociferous in their criticism of Johnson's perfomance, who failed to record a single tackle against Southampton.

With full backs Javier Manquillo and Alberto Moreno newly arrived at Anfield this summer, the England defender could find himself surplus to requirements in Brendan Rodgers' squad.

Raheem Sterling put Liverpool in front before Nathaniel Clyne's second-half equaliser, but Daniel Sturridge scored a late winner to give the home side all three points.

Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #2743: Aug 21, 2014 04:26:24 pm
      Happy Birthday Glen.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,285 posts | 4938 
      Reply #2744: Aug 21, 2014 04:36:29 pm
      30 today isn't he?

Happy Birthday Glen.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2456 
      Reply #2745: Aug 21, 2014 05:42:30 pm
      Happy Birthday Glen.

Now leave!!!  :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2746: Aug 22, 2014 12:30:38 am
      Happy birthday Glen!

Have a shiny bench as a present.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2747: Aug 24, 2014 08:22:44 pm
      I hope Manquillo will cement his place, or maybe we will go after Clyne, who looks great in comparison to Glen. I'd fancy Micah Richards also, but only if he stays fit enough.

Too many times we have conceded because of Glen's mistakes.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,128 posts | 454 
      Reply #2748: Aug 25, 2014 02:59:28 am
      I hope Johnson plays his best.  Because when he plays on top of his game, he is one of the best full backs in the league.  He just doesn't turn it on at any regularity these days.  This seems to be his last season, so hope it is a good one.  I feel that in the past we have fielded him when not fully fit.   He's been carrying a minor knock but other options have been dramatic drop in quality.  Hopefully with the 2 new signing it won't be the case.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2749: Aug 25, 2014 06:44:58 am
      I hope Johnson plays his best.  Because when he plays on top of his game, he is one of the best full backs in the league.  He just doesn't turn it on at any regularity these days.  This seems to be his last season, so hope it is a good one.  I feel that in the past we have fielded him when not fully fit.   He's been carrying a minor knock but other options have been dramatic drop in quality.  Hopefully with the 2 new signing it won't be the case.

He's had enough chances. Shouldn't still be at the club
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,128 posts | 454 
      Reply #2750: Aug 25, 2014 02:59:10 pm
      For the most parts, I think, he has been our best attacking full back.  The thing is we paid a huge transfer fee which isn't his fault.  But he has been on high wages.  Which I don't think he has justified.  The competition now this season shouldn't allow him to sneak into the team playing poorly though. 
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #2751: Aug 25, 2014 11:02:41 pm
      I'm gutted for the lad getting injured tonight, however it could be a blessing now and he might now lose his place in the team.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,926 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2752: Aug 25, 2014 11:10:06 pm
      "Pulled his thigh" says Rodgers. Doubtful for the Tottenham game, hopefully Manquillo can come in and keep his place.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,808 posts | 6759 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2753: Aug 26, 2014 02:25:08 am
      Glen Johnson, forever out of position.   ;)

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2754: Aug 26, 2014 08:29:33 pm
      sh*t, crap, useless, waste of a contract and kit. Give the shirt to someone that deserves it.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #2755: Aug 26, 2014 10:00:07 pm
      About 30 seconds before he got injured I said "if Johnson never plays for us again I really wouldn't be too mad" and then he went down. Seems like someone was listening.

He's not even that bad of a player, it's just that he always seems to do things on the pitch that make me really dislike him as a player for some reason. Constantly seems out of position, his attacking qualities are useless these days, and he's not even got much pace in him anymore.

Really hoping Manquillo gets his chance and takes over that spot this weekend as I loved what I saw out of him against Southampton.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,926 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2756: Aug 26, 2014 10:22:38 pm
      Just before he got injured, his attempt at getting past the player was pathetic. Karma injured him.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,559 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2757: Aug 26, 2014 10:59:42 pm
      He's not at his best - but the reason he's on the pitch is BR is picking him, and thinks he's the best person for the job on the night.
      The abuse is way over the top - am sure he's aware of it, he seems to be the lightning rod whenever we don't do well.
      If he had made the mistake for the 1st goal last night, can only imagine what the reaction would've been. But cause it was Moreno, it was let go.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2758: Aug 26, 2014 11:20:31 pm
      he seems to be the lightning rod whenever we don't do well.

Mate, he's slated even when we do well because he still does crap. Trouble is we have had a lack of options over the years. Still to this day can't believe we let Arbeloa go and got him.

But cause it was Moreno, it was let go.

It wasn't let go at all. Difference is, Moreno still put the effort in to make amends and even played on after going down injured.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2759: Aug 26, 2014 11:26:48 pm
      Mate, he's slated even when we do well because he still does crap. Trouble is we have had a lack of options over the years. Still to this day can't believe we let Arbeloa go and got him.

It wasn't let go at all. Difference is, Moreno still put the effort in to make amends and even played on after going down injured.

Exactly, Johnson had a poor game with a couple of high spots and Moreno had a good game with a couple of low spots.  How many attacks ended when Johnson got the ball last night?   

Quick Reply