Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 361384 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #92: Jun 29, 2009 10:04:13 pm
      Think he will be exciting coming forward but defensively......
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #93: Jun 29, 2009 10:06:24 pm

I actually think he's a better defender than people give him credit for and he'll only improve playing under Rafa and alongside the meanest stingiest defense going ...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #94: Jun 29, 2009 10:07:20 pm

But defensively what? Express yourself, come on!!! You can post more than a few words you know.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      Reply #95: Jun 29, 2009 10:13:23 pm
      From what I seen against either Andora or Kazakhstan cant remember what game it was he got a roasting of some very average players he seemed to lose his position and was standing off when he should of been closing down. Having said that he will score goals
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #96: Jun 29, 2009 10:15:36 pm
      From what i seen against either Andora or Kazakhstan cant remember what game it was he got a roasting of some very average players

Must have missed that...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #97: Jun 29, 2009 10:18:43 pm
      From what I seen against either Andora or Kazakhstan cant remember what game it was he got a roasting of some very average players

I can't remember him getting roasted off anyone in any of them games, but if that was the case surely you can form an opinion on the lad  just off one game ?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      Reply #98: Jun 29, 2009 10:19:56 pm
      Still.... think he will  open up a new avenue of attack
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #99: Jun 29, 2009 10:21:44 pm
      Still.... think he will  open up a new avenue of attack

We have had some great right backs down the years and Glen Johnson for me has the potential to be another one
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      Reply #100: Jun 29, 2009 10:22:51 pm
      And knowing Raffa he will sort out his defencive frailty's
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #101: Jun 29, 2009 10:36:46 pm
      We have had some great right backs down the years and Glen Johnson for me has the potential to be another one

With all due respect, Glen Johnson is no Chris Lawler, Phil Neal or Steve Nicol. And it'll take a long bloody way to get even close to them, in fact he'd be hard pushed to better Rob Jones, Markus Babbel, Steve Finnan or Arbeloa.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      Reply #102: Jun 29, 2009 10:38:12 pm
      With all due respect, Glen Johnson is no Chris Lawler, Phil Neal or Steve Nicol. And it'll take a long bloody way to get even close to them, in fact he'd be hard pushed to better Rob Jones, Markus Babbel, Steve Finnan or Arbeloa.
      Thats a very good post, but I hope he proves you wrong.
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2009 11:01:44 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Merged posts - don\'t double-post please. »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #103: Jun 29, 2009 10:53:44 pm

I do not doubt what you say but if he comes into the squad really knuckles down and works hard there is no limits to what he can achieve its not like he's in his late 30's and in the twilight of his career. He's a young lad with a lot of potential and a lot still to learn but I would like to think he can learn and improve here at Anfield or our Manager and Coaches are not doing there Jobs properly. I know this is not the case as the likes of Gerrard & Torres have both openly spoke about how Rafa has made them better players and I'm sure that will be case with Johnson
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #104: Jun 29, 2009 11:15:12 pm
      I do not doubt what you say but if he comes into the squad really knuckles down and works hard there is no limits to what he can achieve its not like he's in his late 30's and in the twilight of his career. He's a young lad with a lot of potential and a lot still to learn but I would like to think he can learn and improve here at Anfield or our Manager and Coaches are not doing there Jobs properly. I know this is not the case as the likes of Gerrard & Torres have both openly spoke about how Rafa has made them better players and I'm sure that will be case with Johnson

He's 24 mate. By that age, you should not be learning new skills, you should just be honing out the ones you've already got.

I'm certain his defensive work will either improve drastically under Benitez or be shown up drastically at a top club like Liverpool. If his defensive problems are sorted out, then he should be named in the same breath as Jones, Finnan, Arbeloa but if it's shown up he'll be named with the likes of Josemi and Kromkamp. But whatever he does at Anfield, I don't think he'll ever be in the same class as Lawler, Neal or Nicol. They are a class above and maybe a lot has to do with the teams they played in.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #105: Jun 29, 2009 11:25:41 pm
      He's 24 mate. By that age, you should not be learning new skills, you should just be honing out the ones you've already got.

I'm certain his defensive work will either improve drastically under Benitez or be shown up drastically at a top club like Liverpool. If his defensive problems are sorted out, then he should be named in the same breath as Jones, Finnan, Arbeloa but if it's shown up he'll be named with the likes of Josemi and Kromkamp. But whatever he does at Anfield, I don't think he'll ever be in the same class as Lawler, Neal or Nicol. They are a class above and maybe a lot has to do with the teams they played in.

I'm sure Rafa will sort him out defensively as I dont think Rafa will want him marauding down the wing constantly Rafa will instill some discipline into him as he has with all our defenders.

He will educate him when the right time is to go forward and when its the right time to stay back and attend to his defensive duties.

Truth be told i'm very optimistic about him and Kuyt working together on the right flank and i hope they hit the ground running with a great understanding of one and other
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #106: Jun 29, 2009 11:37:50 pm
      Just thinking of our opening few fixtures as to how easy/difficult Johnson's settling in period will be.

Spurs away. Now if Redknapp is any sort of this great manager we're led to believe, he'll slap Lennon on the left wing. Yes it's out of position, but Johnson will be wanting to make an impact on his Liverpool debut and somebody like Lennon can keep Johnson doing what he's less comfortable doing - defending. With somebody with Lennon's, it'd be hard to push up in fear of leaving space in behind. Other than that, I don't think Johnson would have too much trouble because I don't rate Bale at all.

Stoke home. First game at Anfield should be as easy as taking a piss if last year's games are anything to go by. Stoke will come to Anfield and not attack, which means the attacking prowess of our full backs comes under more scrutiny. To see if they can provide that extra width and drag a few defenders out of position for more space for the likes of Torres and Gerrard.

I think the following game at home to Villa could be more of a challenge. Like Spurs, Villa have a very pacey winger in Ashley Young who can give full backs the run around. Again it'll be risky to roam forward at will while leaving the space in behind for somebody like Young to exploit. And unlike Stoke, I wouldn't take too much notice of this fixture in the 08/09 season because at that time Villa had give up and we'd hit our peak. In August, it'll be much different I imagine.

And we end the month away to Bolton who are a very physical side, so it'll give us an indication to see if Johnson can handle that side of the game. Although down their left it's likely to be either Matty Taylor or Gardener, neither of whom are overly physical. Taylor I'd be weary over though, because given a yard of space he can deliver quality, he shows that in his set pieces. So it'll be important to close him down quickly.
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #107: Jun 30, 2009 10:17:35 am
      I hope Glen would exceed expectations. I really think our scouts and manager saw something we didn't see in him, to buy him (a right back) at such a high price. Rafinha of Schalke was a target for us last summer, but we couldn't get him because of a less price tag. I don't see us richer than before, so it must be something very special that glen has for Rafa to spend so much on him.

The player played at Chelsea, not much but did. So he isn't new to our league, and he knows all the strikers in the league. I don't reckon he will make big mistakes or risky runs (unless asked to). If we keep our two defensive midfielders there shouldn't be a problem for us in the defense department even if he goes forward at times (I hope).

DLS, I agree with your starting matches analysis, I just hope our starting XI are all fit for the matches. The easy matches are the ones I fear most. The 0-0 matches raped us last season. We just need thrust against dead-defense teams as when we have space to move with a team that plays attack, we have a great chance of winning because of the pace we got up front.

Just hoping he'd excel!
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #108: Jun 30, 2009 12:52:05 pm
      His t-shirt number? hmm.. I think it will be 2 (with dossena out.)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #109: Jun 30, 2009 01:14:35 pm
      Indeed.

Let's get working on a Johnson song! :D

Hows about D.I.S.C.O by the ottawans revised

he is G.L.E.N.O
      he is G global
      he is L liverpool
      he is E exciting
      he is N number ?
      he is O oh oh oh

he is G golden
      he is L loaded
      he is E such a expert
      he is N such a nemesis
      he is O oh oh oh

G.L.E.N.O

he is G.L.E.N.O
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #110: Jun 30, 2009 01:18:46 pm
      I hope Glen turns out a great player for us and not another waste of money
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #111: Jun 30, 2009 01:20:26 pm
      I hope Glen turns out a great player for us and not another waste of money

I don't think he'll be a waste, he was consistent at pompey in a poorer team
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #112: Jun 30, 2009 01:31:11 pm
      No I'm saying how can you rate a player that 'you haven't seen much of'?

Read it again fool!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #113: Jun 30, 2009 01:33:52 pm

Arbeloa on the way to Madried then!
      I have to say I don't really rate Johnson, then again I have not seen him play that much!

I'm saying, how can you say 'I don't rate him' when you haven't seen him play that much?

Don't call me a fool, thanks.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #114: Jun 30, 2009 01:44:08 pm
      I'm saying, how can you say 'I don't rate him' when you haven't seen him play that much?

Don't call me a fool, thanks.

I don't really rate him (I HAVE NOT YET RATED HIM) maybe I should have said I don't have an opinion on him as I have not watched him play enough.

Quick Reply