Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 14th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P2 W1 D1 L0

Robbie To Stay, or U.S.A. (or even Oz!) ?

Read 14071 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Robbie To Stay, or U.S.A. (or even Oz!) ?
      Reply #92: Apr 20, 2007 09:28:51 am
      Los Angeles is the home of the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball (MLB), the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL), the Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA), the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA, the Los Angeles Galaxy and Club Deportivo Chivas USA of Major League Soccer (MLS), the Los Angeles Riptide of Major League Lacrosse, and the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League. Los Angeles is also home to USC Trojans and the UCLA Bruins in the NCAA, both of which are Division I teams part of the Pacific 10 Conference. UCLA has more NCAA national championships, all sports combined, than any other university in America. USC has the second most NCAA national championships, all sports combined, in the United States. There is currently no NFL franchise in the Los Angeles Market, which is the second-largest television market in North America. However, for the past several years, several billionaire entrepreneurs have shown interest in returning football to L.A., with meetings both with the city and the NFL. Prior to 1995, the Rams called Memorial Coliseum (1946-1979) and Anaheim Stadium (1980-1994) home;[14] and the Raiders played their home games at Memorial Coliseum from 1982 to 1994.[citation needed] The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Anaheim Ducks are both based in nearby Anaheim.
      Beach volleyball and windsurfing were both invented in the area (though predecessors of both were invented in some form by Duke Kahanamoku in Hawaii). Venice, also known as Dogtown, is credited with being the birthplace of skateboarding and the place where Rollerblading first became popular. Area beaches are popular with surfers, who have created their own subculture.
      Los Angeles has twice played host to the summer Olympic Games, in 1932 and in 1984. When the tenth Olympic Games were hosted in 1932, the former 10th Street was renamed Olympic Blvd. The 1984 Summer Olympics inspired the creation of the Los Angeles Marathon, which has been held every year in March since 1986. Super Bowls I and VII were also held in the city as well as soccer's international World Cup in 1994. Los Angeles applied to represent the USOC in international bidding for the 2016 Summer Olympics, but lost to Chicago.
      The Los Angeles area contains varied topography, notably the hills and mountains rising around the metropolis, making Los Angeles the only major city in the United States bisected by a mountain range; four mountain ranges extend into city boundaries. Thousands of miles of trails crisscross the city and neighboring areas, providing opportunities for exercise and wilderness access on foot, bike, or horse. Across the county a great variety of outdoor activities are available, such as skiing, rock climbing, gold panning, hang gliding, and windsurfing. Numerous outdoor clubs serve these sports, including the Angeles Chapter of the Sierra Club, which leads over 4,000 outings annually in the area.
      Los Angeles also boasts a number of sports venues, including the Staples Center, a sports and entertainment complex that also hosts concerts and awards shows such as the Grammys. The Staples Center also serves as the home arena for the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers of the NBA, the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA, and the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL.
      As a whole, the Los Angeles area has more national championships, all sports combined (college and professional), than any other city in the United States, with over four times as many championships as the entire state of Texas, and just over twice that of New York City.

OLYMPICS!

and your point is ;)

Lester Melbourne have some insecurity complex where they try to  justify their city. Name a Melbourne landmark??? I honestly cant think of one

Just to add one sporting event we have that they want more than anything. THE MAJOR WORLD CUP QUALIFIER!!!!!!!!

We have the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Telstra Dome....you might have better landmarks belldiouf but deep down you know you'd want to be a Melbournian rather than Shitnysider :D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #93: Apr 20, 2007 06:20:49 pm
      Cricket was created in England and Lords is the most well regarded cricket stadium in the world. The Ashes trophy is housed where exactly? Thats right in Enland at Lords. So Melbourne in comparison to LA? Your case is crumbling Aussie Red...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      Reply #94: Apr 21, 2007 01:04:34 pm
      Cricket was created in England and Lords is the most well regarded cricket stadium in the world. The Ashes trophy is housed where exactly? Thats right in Enland at Lords. So Melbourne in comparison to LA? Your case is crumbling Aussie Red...

we all know where the Ashes truly belongs Lester76...cricket might have been born in "Enland" but the Ashes belong right next to the 3 world cups (in a row) where going to own in a fortnights time...

and by the way lester76...like I said before...ours are global sports that are showcased in Melbourne ....the ones you mentioned are predominately American sports :stress_h4h:
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #95: Apr 21, 2007 06:06:25 pm
      American football is played throughout the europe. Baseball is played throughout the world. Basketball is an olympic sport....Cricket...given to the world by the Brits is played by 12 countries that are/were  part of the british empire. Aussie Rules? Only in Oz or pub car parks at closing time...Rugby is played here in the US....and Football? You guys have only just got on the bandwagon! The yanks play the game more than any other of the sports...its only that it wasn't getting enough TV coverage.....as for the Ashes? We keep losing to you because of all the 'guilt complex' that we Brits suffer from having created you our prison...So lets just agree that you are wrong!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #96: Apr 21, 2007 06:33:34 pm
      Lets end this argument....England would kick all your asses!  ;)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #97: Apr 21, 2007 07:30:44 pm
      I'm a brit and I agree...just trying to keep the colony in check...little up starts! Hey Aussie Red...love the banter and your patriotism...actually love Australia but lets get some perspective on Melbourne's sporting stature!....the OZ equivalence of Kidderminster....
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #98: Apr 22, 2007 03:23:35 am
      ya know, i thought this thread was about robbie fowler. and somehow, we've moved to "which country is the best when it comes to sports???" thread. pretty funny. ;D. keep going. i like to hear about how positive my country is for once...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      Reply #99: Apr 22, 2007 10:59:52 am
      Lets end this argument....England would kick all your asses!  ;)

at what?  Darts perhaps? ;)
      I'm a brit and I agree...just trying to keep the colony in check...little up starts! Hey Aussie Red...love the banter and your patriotism...actually love Australia but lets get some perspective on Melbourne's sporting stature!....the OZ equivalence of Kidderminster....

that would be funny if I knew what Kidderminster was....excuse my Aussie ignorance ???
      ...So lets just agree that you are wrong!

Never, but I must admit to you my fellow red, that you are starting to do my head in....cheers from Melbourne, The SPORTING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD ;)
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #100: Apr 22, 2007 11:16:36 am
      Los Angeles is the home of the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball (MLB), the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL), the Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA), the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA, the Los Angeles Galaxy and Club Deportivo Chivas USA of Major League Soccer (MLS), the Los Angeles Riptide of Major League Lacrosse, and the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League. Los Angeles is also home to USC Trojans and the UCLA Bruins in the NCAA, both of which are Division I teams part of the Pacific 10 Conference. UCLA has more NCAA national championships, all sports combined, than any other university in America. USC has the second most NCAA national championships, all sports combined, in the United States. There is currently no NFL franchise in the Los Angeles Market, which is the second-largest television market in North America. However, for the past several years, several billionaire entrepreneurs have shown interest in returning football to L.A., with meetings both with the city and the NFL. Prior to 1995, the Rams called Memorial Coliseum (1946-1979) and Anaheim Stadium (1980-1994) home;[14] and the Raiders played their home games at Memorial Coliseum from 1982 to 1994.[citation needed] The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Anaheim Ducks are both based in nearby Anaheim.
      Beach volleyball and windsurfing were both invented in the area (though predecessors of both were invented in some form by Duke Kahanamoku in Hawaii). Venice, also known as Dogtown, is credited with being the birthplace of skateboarding and the place where Rollerblading first became popular. Area beaches are popular with surfers, who have created their own subculture.
      Los Angeles has twice played host to the summer Olympic Games, in 1932 and in 1984. When the tenth Olympic Games were hosted in 1932, the former 10th Street was renamed Olympic Blvd. The 1984 Summer Olympics inspired the creation of the Los Angeles Marathon, which has been held every year in March since 1986. Super Bowls I and VII were also held in the city as well as soccer's international World Cup in 1994. Los Angeles applied to represent the USOC in international bidding for the 2016 Summer Olympics, but lost to Chicago.
      The Los Angeles area contains varied topography, notably the hills and mountains rising around the metropolis, making Los Angeles the only major city in the United States bisected by a mountain range; four mountain ranges extend into city boundaries. Thousands of miles of trails crisscross the city and neighboring areas, providing opportunities for exercise and wilderness access on foot, bike, or horse. Across the county a great variety of outdoor activities are available, such as skiing, rock climbing, gold panning, hang gliding, and windsurfing. Numerous outdoor clubs serve these sports, including the Angeles Chapter of the Sierra Club, which leads over 4,000 outings annually in the area.
      Los Angeles also boasts a number of sports venues, including the Staples Center, a sports and entertainment complex that also hosts concerts and awards shows such as the Grammys. The Staples Center also serves as the home arena for the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers of the NBA, the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA, and the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL.
      As a whole, the Los Angeles area has more national championships, all sports combined (college and professional), than any other city in the United States, with over four times as many championships as the entire state of Texas, and just over twice that of New York City.

OLYMPICS!

Ok so LA has more 'world series' in sports that other countries don't play, and invented beach volleyball, windsurfing, sliced bread etc...

Geez Lester, sounds like a great place to live. I reckon I could put up with the fact that as soon as I start supporting one of these sports teams they end up moving halfway across the country. Sorry, did I say teams? I meant franchises, silly me. Anyway, it still sounds great, I can go skiing, rock climbing, wind surfing, and did I even hear you say you have a marathon? God I wish we had one of those in London.

But I have to admit there's one thing that concerns me a bit Lester. I live in London at the moment, and here we have a lot of crime. Roughly one in 50,000 people gets murdered every year, about one in 30,000 gets raped, and on average there's one robbery for every 130 people living in London. Now with everything you've said about your wonderful city I'm sure the figures are much lower there, but can I just check? WHAT???!!!! One in 7,500 people murdered! One in 3,000 raped! One robbery per 35 people living there!

Erm, sorry Lester, still sounds like a great place & all that, but I kinda like living, I'm sure my missus doesn't like getting raped, and I don't particularly fancy getting robbed either. I think I'll stay in England.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #101: Apr 22, 2007 07:32:13 pm
      Hey Eddie...so no one was debating which was the superior city or even the sporting merits between London and LA. London is a one of the great cultural and sporting centres of the world. When Aussiered started on the 'Melbourne the sporting capital of the world!' arguement he was there for the taking and my duty as a brit is to put the colony's back in their place! The point wasn't that LA was the greatest sporting city...it was that Melbourne wasn't better than EVEN LA! My LFC and Union Jack flags fly proudly in front of my house...under the blue sky and 80+ daily weather....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      Reply #102: Apr 23, 2007 08:21:03 am
      lester76 this debate could keep going for ages mate but I can't be arsed with it...lets just agree to disagree....you think what you think and I know what I know ;) and as for putting the colony in it's place, well apart from being able to watch the mighty reds week in and week out during the season ....I know where I would rather live  8)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #103: Apr 23, 2007 08:55:03 am
      all good! As for Robbie...what was the topic again?!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      Reply #104: Apr 23, 2007 09:24:10 am
      I can't remember...take care bud....look forward to giving you the shits again in the near future ;)
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #105: Apr 23, 2007 02:24:23 pm
      Awww I'm going to miss reading this argument everyday!! As an irishman living in Melbourne I got to say that the argument put forward by aussiered about Melbourne was just, as he is right about global sports being a big thing in Melbournes culture. IMO from what I have seen Melbourne is rightly called the sporting capital of the world!!

As for Sydney I would choose Mel everyday as the best thing about Sydney is taking off from the airport, which I must say is an extraordinary sight!!! ;)

And back to Robbie, thanks for the memories and hope to see you play in Oz before I have to go back to Ireland ;)
      Belldiouf
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #106: Apr 24, 2007 02:46:51 am
      I cant beleive ive been sick the last few days and missed this, you can take the piss on Melbourne all you like  :laugh: but the minute you take it out on the rest of Australia  >:D

As for Fowler going to Sydney FC  it seems really certain that theyre going to sign PSV's Cocu   :-\
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      Reply #107: Apr 24, 2007 07:00:35 am
      mattmcg, you aren't going back already are u mate?....maybe we can catch up b4 you head back...not at work at the moment..using mums computer....will pm you and see what we can organise....thanks for your support mate.

as you for Belldiuof, sorry to hear u sick mate must be that dodgy Sydney air...with all those germs ;)
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #108: Apr 24, 2007 10:08:59 am
      Na not going back til December mate but maybe i'll go on the run or something so I can stay ;) Damn shame I got no chance of staying but i'll enjoy every min of living in Mel before I have to go back!!! :(

You're from Narre Warren if I remember rightly aren't you?  Yeh catching up sounds like a good idea especially with a fellow red. I've managed to convert a few aussies into following Liverpool so maybe we could start a Mel supporters club or something!!!!! ;) ;D

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #109: Apr 24, 2007 05:36:21 pm
      "you guys don't go up there to fish!"
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      Reply #110: Apr 24, 2007 11:47:03 pm
      Na not going back til December mate but maybe I'll go on the run or something so I can stay ;) Damn shame I got no chance of staying but I'll enjoy every min of living in Mel before I have to go back!!! :(

You're from Narre Warren if I remember rightly aren't you?  Yeh catching up sounds like a good idea especially with a fellow red. I've managed to convert a few aussies into following Liverpool so maybe we could start a Mel supporters club or something!!!!! ;) ;D

sounds good mate...plenty of time b4 December....we'll catch up for a drink or 10 ;)
      "you guys don't go up there to fish!"

na mate my get to the cricket to see another test win ;)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #111: Apr 25, 2007 12:33:02 am
      think the whole english cricket team should retire....good luck to you guys against the Sri Lankan's....gonna be a high scoring game..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      Reply #112: Apr 25, 2007 01:53:34 am
      didn't know Sri Lanka won mate....get past SA and we'll be up against the Lankans.....that will be tough but I think we'll make it 3 just like the mighty Reds will make it 6 ;)

Quick Reply