Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Ever Banega (Valencia)

Read 30425 times
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Re: Ever Banega (Valencia)
      Reply #69: May 16, 2010 09:47:14 am
      Maybe they can give us Banega plus 40 million for Ngog ;)

according to aloadofw**k.com that is a very real possibility ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #70: May 16, 2010 09:58:02 am
      Makes me laugh that a lot of people have slagged off the idea of Lucas and Masch playing together, yet I've seen a couple of posts about Banega and Masch playing in the same side.

Aren't we looking to stick to one defensive midfielder and play the likes of Aquilani and Gerrard in the other centre-mid position? Yes, Banega would be a good back up or replacement for when Masch is injured. If he is an attacking option then fair enough but from what I have read, he is defensive.

Apologies if I am mistaken, mind.   
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #71: May 16, 2010 10:46:17 am
      Makes me laugh that a lot of people have slagged off the idea of Lucas and Masch playing together, yet I've seen a couple of posts about Banega and Masch playing in the same side.

Aren't we looking to stick to one defensive midfielder and play the likes of Aquilani and Gerrard in the other centre-mid position? Yes, Banega would be a good back up or replacement for when Masch is injured. If he is an attacking option then fair enough but from what I have read, he is defensive.

Banega is more attack minded.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #72: May 16, 2010 11:39:15 am
      Banega is a completely different player than Masch and Lucas, he is not a defensive midfielder.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #73: May 16, 2010 02:41:52 pm

Look at the video mate and tell me when did you see Lucas doing that sort of things
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2010 04:27:32 pm by hugh07 »
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #74: May 17, 2010 06:16:43 pm
      You bite your tongue. Lucas Pezzini Leiva was the 2006 Brazilian Player of the Year. That alone makes him an Anfield legend.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #75: May 17, 2010 06:19:07 pm
      Lucas isn't anywhere near the same level as Banega and neither does he have the same potential.

I don't give a sh*t what year he won brazilian player of the year, how the F**k does that make he a Liverpool legend. You are obviously taking the piss when you say lucas and legend in the same sentence.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #76: May 17, 2010 06:27:27 pm
      I'm obviously being facetious, sir.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #77: May 17, 2010 06:29:34 pm
      Sorry about that kevinho kinda thought that even Lucas biggest fans surely would admit he is a long long way from being called a legend.
      Cored
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #78: Jun 01, 2010 06:46:27 pm
      Found it on newsnow

Ever Banega: Rafa Closing in on £8.5M Argentine Playmaker for Reds

According to reports in both the Spanish and Argentine press, Liverpool are set to sign Valencia’s talented young midfielder Ever Banega for a fee of £8.5m as Rafa Benitez begins his rebuilding process at Anfield. The young Argentinean has been a long-term target of Benitez but also "The Chosen One" who attempted to sign the 21-year-old on loan last summer. However, it would seem that Liverpool rather than Everton have won the race for his signature.

Last summer Everton attended a home office meeting in London to push through the necessary paperwork to seal a late transfer window move but the deal could not be agreed. The Toffees loss could be Liverpool’s gain as he could be a very exciting signing for the club and fill the role that was vacated by Xabi Alonso’s exit last summer.

The 21-year-old joined Valencia in January 2008 but after just 47 League appearances for the club (40 starts) the Spanish side are likely to offload the youngster. Valencia’s financial problems are well documented but they are set to take a loss on a player signed for £14m. Ironically, Banega has had his best season with the club after making 35 league appearances (33 starts which is a major breakthrough considering in his first season he only started seven league matches and then was loaned out to Atletico Madrid. However, despite a tough start to his time in Europe, Banega has shown enough talent to impress Rafa Benitez who is keen to bring him to Liverpool to join fellow Argentines Javier Mascherano, Maxi Rodriguez and Emiliano Insua.

The youngster has endured a difficult time since joining the Spanish giants. He was signed by Ronald Koeman who was soon sacked and then was also embroiled in a webcam scandal in Argentina similar to that of former Eastenders star Leslie Grantham. Not the best way to start your career at a new club especially one that was severely and surprisingly struggling in the league. Despite a poor 2007/08 season by their standards, Valencia did end up winning the Copa Del Rey. However, despite featuring in 5 cup matches including both legs of the semi against Barca, Banega did not feature in the final.

Last season Banega was loaned out to Atletico Madrid when he made 24 league appearances but only started 5 of those games while scoring just one goal. The player had suggested he wished to remain with the Madrid club but Atletico did not make a permanent move.

Banega told So Foot that he “wants to continue at Atletico”, but knows that lack of communications suggests the feeling is not mutual.

“I am young but not naive. If they have not spoken with me then it is bad. In any case, I will not return to Valencia, even though I still have a contract with them,” he said. However, despite his comments and Everton’s interest he did return. Now his time in Spain looks to be coming to an end with Liverpool in negotiations.

Despite struggling in Spain, the player that turns 22 in June has won 3 senior caps for his country against Guatemala, Mexico and USA. He was also part of the Argentine side that won the U20 World Cup in Canada in 2007 and the gold medal at the 2008 Olympics. He played alongside the likes of Atletico Madrid’s Sergio Aguero in both of those tournaments. He also represented his nation at the Toulon Tournament where Argentina finished 3rd. Banega is a skilful deep lying playmaker who is mobile and likes to dictate the tempo of his side which is something that Liverpool have lacked following Alonso’s sale.

The young star was born in Rosario, Santa Fe and began his career with Boca Juniors where he came through the youth ranks. He replaced Real Madrid star Fernando Gago in the Boca Midfield when the former star moved to Real Madrid and after just 28 League appearances for the club Valencia stepped in with a big money bid. His last game for the Buenos Aires club was in the World Club Championship 4-2 final defeat to AC Milan.

Banega is a central midfielder very much in the Michael Carrick mould rather than Roy Keane’s. His main attributes are his excellent passing ability, tactical discipline and ability to read the game. The Argentine is not afraid to tackle as 25 bookings and 4 red cards in 99 career League games perfectly illustrates and could turn out to be a key signing for Liverpool who are looking to bounce back from a poor season with a new-look side next season. Rafa Benitez has already declared he needs at least five or six new signings, Ever Banega looks set to be one of the first new arrivals at Anfield as the Reds rebuild.

http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2010/06/01/ever-banega-rafa-closing-in-on-85m-argentine-playmaker-for-reds/

StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #79: Jun 01, 2010 06:55:09 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #80: Jun 01, 2010 07:01:49 pm
      When I read the same quotes in the times happy days but again I ll hold off on getting my hopes up for fear of another collapsed deal
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #81: Jun 01, 2010 07:02:10 pm
      The article is from 13 May 2010 so nothing to get too excited about as yet lads.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #82: Jun 01, 2010 07:48:02 pm
      sh*t and i was getting all excited when i saw this thread bumped again ah well I'd go back to the young loanee from Real thread :)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #83: Jun 01, 2010 08:25:24 pm
      Has he the right attitude for Liverpool?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #84: Jun 01, 2010 09:08:44 pm
      I think he is after growing up the past year, the mad thing is the reports linking him to us saying he has flopped at Valencia and Valencia are looking to cut there losses. That is rubbish he was excellant for Valencia last season remember Graham Hunter saying he was going to be one of the best midfielders in the world.

So how this lad is supposedly available for £8 million I'll never know, if Rafa manages to sign him for that it will be the steal of the century.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Ever Banega? (Valencia)
      Reply #85: Jun 01, 2010 09:53:02 pm
      I'm always eager!

I hope Masch does not go though!  :o
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #86: Jun 01, 2010 09:55:57 pm
      My bad, just seen the date  :-[
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #87: Jun 01, 2010 09:57:02 pm
      Think he's overrated by many on this board. Not sure he really fits into the things we need to do with our money.

This sign to me, makes me think Rafa sees Gerrard or Masch leaving... and isn't thrilled with Aquilani.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #88: Jun 01, 2010 10:11:24 pm
      Think he's overrated by many on this board. Not sure he really fits into the things we need to do with our money.

This sign to me, makes me think Rafa sees Gerrard or Masch leaving... and isn't thrilled with Aquilani.

We could probably survive without Aqualani, but I worry about the other 2......
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #89: Jun 01, 2010 10:33:34 pm
      Im not saying it has to be Banega. Could be Martinez that provides the answer either. . But we cant be reliant on Alberto from the off. I said it before. I would much rather have one of them leave in January than be caught short for quality again this year. Although depending on how the summer unfolds we might not have much choice and if he was available for the quoted price he would be a welcome addition
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #90: Jun 01, 2010 11:34:35 pm
      Dont see this being anything more than speculation. Hope i am wrong though.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #91: Jun 02, 2010 12:33:54 am
      I really hope this comes through.. He is a dirty player but very passionate in his game... doesnt give up easily..... reads the game well.... can pass.. can score... skill too.. 21 year old.. go for it!!

Quick Reply