Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 711995 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #6026: Jan 10, 2022 11:26:00 pm
      Just finished the second part last night and cannot wait to finish hopefully tomorrow.

Really has reignited my love of The Beatles.

I know it's maybe cool to think they were overrated but far from it for me. True music genius.
      Most important band of all time, anyone calling them overrated probably doesn’t like music because they don’t realize that their favorite band probably was influenced by The Beatles.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6027: Jan 11, 2022 10:22:53 pm
      Got round to watching Don't Look Up just now

Really don't understand all the hate this has got from many. Very funny in quite a few places and I enjoyed it.

Jonah Hill, as he is many times, is the stand out though
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6028: Jan 11, 2022 11:02:25 pm
      Turned to Film 4 and First Man is on.

What a truly well made film this is.

Can't wait for Damian Chazelles next film.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,600 posts | 1507 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6029: Jan 12, 2022 05:10:39 pm
      The new Scream reviews have been excellent, was really expecting mediocrity, just cashing in on the name, but they are saying it’s the best of the lot… was gonna go see it next week anyway, just an excuse to go into the city to be honest and go to an all you can eat buffet, but looks like I might actually enjoy it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #6030: Jan 12, 2022 06:00:27 pm

Really don't understand all the hate this has got from many. Very funny in quite a few places and I enjoyed it.

It was campy and had some funny bits, I actually think in it's attempts at demonizing certain ideological groups it missed the mark and may have induced some "friendly fire". Overall though it was just "ok". I honestly thought it hurt itself to try and have the comical ending it did...kind of took away from any levity the film was trying to create.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #6031: Jan 12, 2022 08:32:55 pm

It’s dark, funny & on point in how the world works today, media, celebrities & politicians only giving a F**k once it impacts them directly…
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6032: Jan 12, 2022 09:35:06 pm
      It’s dark, funny & on point in how the world works today, media, celebrities & politicians only giving a F**k once it impacts them directly…

Pretty much how I seen it.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #6033: Jan 12, 2022 10:41:34 pm

I hated it, and lost interest after 20 minutes, fast forwarding to the comet hit. I couldn't understand what they were even trying to achieve. My brother said I should watch again, but I can't see any reason to.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,620 posts | 7143 
      Reply #6034: Jan 12, 2022 11:04:53 pm
      Most important band of all time, anyone calling them overrated probably doesn’t like music because they don’t realize that their favorite band probably was influenced by The Beatles.
      I still find stuff I hadnt heard for decades and the fact they are still relevant close to 60 years later must mean they got something right.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6035: Jan 18, 2022 01:27:20 pm
      Seen Licorice Pizza last night and loved it.

PTA one of the best directors around and this felt like a cross between Almost Famous and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #6036: Jan 18, 2022 01:52:40 pm
      Seen Licorice Pizza last night and loved it.

PTA one of the best directors around and this felt like a cross between Almost Famous and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Almost Famous is a fantastic film. Sweetwater modeled a bit after one of my favorite all time bands, Pearl Jam. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was outstanding as Lester Bangs. Loved Jason Lee as the frontman for the band as well. He played it perfectly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6037: Jan 18, 2022 02:03:42 pm
      Almost Famous is a fantastic film. Sweetwater modeled a bit after one of my favorite all time bands, Pearl Jam. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was outstanding as Lester Bangs. Loved Jason Lee as the frontman for the band as well. He played it perfectly.

It's fantastic.

The bus scene with Tiny Dancer is among my favourites of all time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6038: Jan 19, 2022 08:04:05 pm
      Scream.

Loved it. Exceeded my expectations.

Really well done.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #6039: Jan 20, 2022 10:01:17 pm
      Watched Free Guy today and was pleasantly surprised.

Flicked past in numerous times as the picture made it look sh*te but after seeing it pop up in a list of one of the best Sci Fi movies of the year I thought I'd give it a go.

A lot of fun and Ryan Reynolds is perfect for this role. I'd say a cross between The Truman Show and The Lego Movie

Well worth a couple of hours of your time.

Watched this on Prime recently after missing it in the cinemas.

Thought it was okay and an easy watch but fell a bit short of expectation for me, even though I’m a big fan of Ryan Reynolds.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6040: Jan 20, 2022 10:03:31 pm
      Watched this on Prime recently after missing it in the cinemas.

Thought it was okay and an easy watch but fell a bit short of expectation for me, even though I’m a big fan of Ryan Reynolds.

Maybe I shows the difference when you watch something with lower expectations mate.

I'd ignored it for so long it was such a pleasant surprise.

And to be brutally honest I can take or leave Reynolds and that's being kind. Liked him in Deadpool but he seemed born to play that role. Other than that and this movie he grates on me.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #6041: Jan 20, 2022 10:17:15 pm
      Maybe I shows the difference when you watch something with lower expectations mate.

I'd ignored it for so long it was such a pleasant surprise.

And to be brutally honest I can take or leave Reynolds and that's being kind. Liked him in Deadpool but he seemed born to play that role. Other than that and this movie he grates on me.

I think he’s alright, know he’s mostly in comedies but like him in Safe House too opposite Denzel Washington.

On his comedies I’m quite a fan of those easy watches when you just want to chill out a bit but never something to take too seriously.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #6042: Jan 20, 2022 10:44:02 pm
      I was bored the other day and fancied a film, so checked out The Guardian list of the best 100 films since 2000. I'd seen most of them, and liked a lot of them, but the one that caught my eye was, 'Under the Skin.' A 2014 film that I kinda remember being aware of yet no doubt was put off by the sci fi elements. Anyway, I had some time to kill before the match tonight so I streamed it and was absolutely blown away. Don't expect plot, don't expect much action, but the imagery is insanely captivating. It's so gorgeous and so erotic, undoubtedly helped by Scarlett Johanson taking the lead role. I tend to enjoy films the most that get their strength from verbal interactions, I was completely bored by Tarkovsky and all those arty films once so trendy, but this one really got into me and I can tell I will ruminate on it for some time to come.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6043: Jan 20, 2022 10:53:11 pm
      Anyone seen 'Pig' yet?   Just out on Sky.  Nick Cage had his truffle pig nicked.   He must really like truffles, or the pig..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,088 posts | 2116 
      Reply #6044: Jan 27, 2022 12:13:11 pm
      The Remains of the Day. Never seen it before and decided to watch via BBC iplayer last night. Tremendous film. Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins are just two unbelievable actors. Goes off iplayer on Saturday for anyone wanting to catch it.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,600 posts | 1507 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6045: Jan 28, 2022 10:40:36 pm
      Scream.

Loved it. Exceeded my expectations.

Really well done.
      Went to see it today, great movie and really good old fashioned slasher. Did everything right you want from that type of movie.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6046: Jan 28, 2022 11:48:06 pm
      Just watched Creed. Waste of two hours and felt like just a money grab by the studio. Still better than Rocky V though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #6047: Jan 29, 2022 12:13:48 am
      Belfast.

Seen it last week. Fantastic.

For us over here really relatable but I'd say many working class people will relate to this movie.

Gloriously shot in crisp black and white along with a soundtrack packed with Van Morrison.

Triumph.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #6048: Jan 29, 2022 01:17:29 pm
      Just watched Creed. Waste of two hours and felt like just a money grab by the studio. Still better than Rocky V though.

Reinventing for a younger generation.

Actually like the first one, thought the second was the money grab.

Quick Reply