Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 704517 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5221: Nov 21, 2017 11:56:30 am
      Justice league is an absolute joke. From the studio putting pressure on Synder to add a lighter tone to it, to Whedon taking over with his pathetic re-shoots and editing to make it more like Marvel. Should have just let Synder carry on with his dark theme and keep things consistent, what a waste. Just bring in Flashpoint and kill the universe ffs!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #5222: Nov 21, 2017 12:27:00 pm
      I went in with low expectations for Justice League and didn't think it was too bad.  It was a bit messy but there were some good character moments.  I still really like Affleck's Batman/Bruce Wayne even if he was reduced to the background in some of the action scenes.  I'm glad he wasn't as brooding as he was in BVS and admitted the mistakes he made but do agree, the humour and more light-hearted tone added by Whedon was off-putting.

Bringing back Superman was poorly handled but for the first time we see Superman actually acting like Superman.  The Flash was decent as well, but thought Cyborg being so integral to the plot was bad and Aquilani's one-liners were cringe-worthy.  I loved Wonder Woman and thought she was great in this too.

My biggest complaints were that Steppenwolf was a terrible villain and the CGI overall was horrendous and looked like a video game for most parts.  But I'd also be interested in seeing Snyder's Directors cut.

Overall I'd rank the DC films as Wonder Woman > BVS > Man of Steel > Justice League > Suicide Squad
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5223: Nov 21, 2017 01:09:06 pm

Overall I'd rank the DC films as Wonder Woman > BVS > Man of Steel > Justice League > Suicide Squad

The Dark Knight >>>>> Wonder Woman >>> DC trying to be Nolan without Nolan
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #5224: Nov 21, 2017 01:27:58 pm

Haha yeah that goes without saying, I was only including the new DC Universe.  Marvel and Snyder can only dream of capturing Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.  Even TDKR, for all its flaws, beats anything they've ever done. 

Aquilani's one-liners were cringe-worthy.

Sorry to quote myself but only just noticed this :D :D :D

There is only one Aqua-man and it is of course Alberto Aquilani.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5225: Nov 21, 2017 01:29:38 pm

Nail on the head.

Nolan raised the bar to such a height any DC flick after his trilogy is sh*te ;D

Just give it back to Nolan for JL 2..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5226: Nov 21, 2017 01:55:00 pm
      If rumours are to believed then Affleck is stepping down as Batman & being replace by Jake Gylennhaal...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5227: Nov 21, 2017 10:58:21 pm
      The poster for the Justice League film in China :lmao:

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5228: Nov 30, 2017 03:21:13 pm
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5229: Dec 07, 2017 12:03:15 am
      Watched 'Wind River' last night. Hard subject matter, but great film. Written and directed by the writer of Sicario and Hell or High Water, two of my favourite films from recent years. Trailer below if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7ZknrV7gM
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5230: Dec 15, 2017 02:25:04 am
      Was so hyped about Last jedi, but to my dismay, It wasn't as good as I thought It'd be :(  Better than FA, but I rank the older triolgy + Rogue one better!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5231: Dec 15, 2017 07:30:03 am
      Was so hyped about Last jedi, but to my dismay, It wasn't as good as I thought It'd be :(  Better than FA, but I rank the older triolgy + Rogue one better!

Going tomorrow to watch it & from what I've heard it's well hyped..

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #5232: Dec 15, 2017 08:29:59 am

Going tomorrow to watch it & from what I've heard it's well hyped..

Our Xmas eve family movie this year. A Tradition. Enjoyed the last two.

Gotta be better than Bee Movie (dull) and Frozen (chosen by the Mrs) where me and the 2 boys slept throughout.......
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5233: Dec 15, 2017 11:02:01 am
      Went to Last Jedi midnight opening here in Adelaide. Well well impressed, some great development/breaking down of the mythology as well as great action, incredible comedy at times, and all round good Star Wars ride again. Also, Mark Hamill's Skywalker masterpiece. He's equally heartbreaking as he is funny as F**k.

I think most would rank the older trilogy better, and I definitely agree on Rogue as I just loved getting a different aspect of the universe. But over hyping yourself up for these movies expecting the same experience as the original trilogy is hyping yourself up for an impossibility. Whatever Star Wars you grew up loving is what you will always put on the pedestal. I know people who's first introduction was the prequel trilogy and genuinely say they're their favourite. Just my two cents, not bagging you at all either, more my general thoughts as I see similar comments a lot and wonder exactly what people are expecting, and when I ask they genuinely don't know :D

I just hope for good entertainment, good writing (as the prequels suffered horrifically on that front) and a story that can be as outlandish as it wants as long as it makes sense for the universe. Star Wars has always had a massive suspension of disbelief that I'm more than happy to F**k along with. There's some great themes of real life/world sh*t that get injected in places in this one I particularly liked, showing that Star Wars has somewhat matured to be socially conscious as well. But at the same time, just a F***ing fun ride and I can't wait to see it again!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5234: Dec 15, 2017 01:07:05 pm
      I guess it was more the risky decisions that the director/writer Rian Johnson took that ended up with me swaying away from the film(guess you can't please everyone, right?). Not that it was a poor film, It was actually very good, but you know those 3 key moments, the wtf moments, If only he hadn't have done that then I would have ranked it up there with ESB!

Anyway, I know the film is split amongst the fans, some rank it as good as ESB, some hate it because of those decisions made, however, I hope you guys enjoy it more than I did and have a good Christmas film to watch :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5235: Dec 16, 2017 11:39:49 pm
      Last Jedi....

Hmm.. Not sure.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #5236: Dec 17, 2017 10:35:38 am

As a movie or as a Star Wars fan Shabs?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5237: Dec 17, 2017 11:09:46 am
      Channel 4 have the best Christmas film ever on tonight, yippee ki yay motherfuckers
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5238: Dec 17, 2017 12:02:00 pm
      As a movie or as a Star Wars fan Shabs?

Pretty sure the vast hardcore Star Wars fans didn't like it because of the risks taken, where as the majority of casual star wars fans loved it. I'm a heavy reader of the expanded universe so I consider myself the a Star Wars nerd! :D The more I think about it, the more I disliked TLJ, and even struggling to go back and re-watch the original trilogy because of TLJ!!

This YT video (Contains Spoilers!!) pretty much covers everything wrong with it imo, especially #2 and #1 reasons!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL5oCP0VIEI
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #5239: Dec 17, 2017 12:09:52 pm
      Pretty sure the vast hardcore Star Wars fans didn't like it because of the risks taken, where as the majority of casual star wars fans loved it. I'm a heavy reader of the expanded universe so I consider myself the a Star Wars nerd! :D The more I think about it, the more I disliked TLJ, and even struggling to go back and re-watch the original trilogy because of TLJ!!

This YT video (Contains Spoilers!!) pretty much covers everything wrong with it imo, especially #2 and #1 reasons!!

Cheers - my 16 & 14 yrs old lads are massive Star Wars fans........good to have the intel :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5240: Dec 17, 2017 12:17:54 pm
      Watched two on Netflix last night that, whilst not top drawer, were a  entertaining diversion. The Kingdom and The Foreigner. Both solid enough films, The Kingdom has some well worked set pieces and The Foreigner gets a lovely,  understated Jackie Chan performance and a Pierce Brosnan absolutely chewing the scenery every chance he gets.  Other suffer from being a little muddled, both have some really good performances. 6.5 out of 10 films, perfect for a wet Sunday evening.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5241: Dec 17, 2017 05:29:23 pm
      Watched two on Netflix last night that, whilst not top drawer, were a  entertaining diversion. The Kingdom and The Foreigner. Both solid enough films, The Kingdom has some well worked set pieces and The Foreigner gets a lovely,  understated Jackie Chan performance and a Pierce Brosnan absolutely chewing the scenery every chance he gets.  Other suffer from being a little muddled, both have some really good performances. 6.5 out of 10 films, perfect for a wet Sunday evening.

Thought that The Foreigner was a decent watch. Actually think it's one of Chan's best films, showing a lot more of his acting range.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #5242: Dec 17, 2017 05:30:42 pm

As a Star Wars fan, i would say TLJ ruined the good work that went into TFA. Which is sad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5243: Dec 17, 2017 05:33:30 pm
      As a Star Wars fan, i would say TLJ ruined the good work that went into TFA. Which is sad.

The Force Awakens was just a subtle rewrite of the original Star Wars movie!!

Quick Reply