Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699549 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5267: Dec 28, 2017 08:39:38 pm
      Just back from The Last Jedi with the young lad    [ spoiler alert! ]
      We both gave it 4/5 stars :)
      Good old fashioned popcorn entertainment. Had heard there was a lot of humour in it, too much, but I didn't think so - maybe because I wasn't expecting it to be darker?!
      Lots of good action sequences, really well put together - even though the plot with Finn, Rose and the codebreaker guy, though well done, was a bit thin and pointless imho.
      The sequences at the start with the bombers and the end with the salt speeders or whatever they were, were great.
      The pieces on the island with Rey and Luke were done well - but this was the bit I was hoping would be better - pity old Lukey boy wasn't a bit more up for it :) The island's dark hole (careful) wasn't dark or scary at all, and there wasn't much actual training going on - so like others have said, how Rey's able to do the stuff she does without going thro a wee bootcamp stretches credibility (yep, bit pedantic here I am) - plus it's not as engaging as the equivalent section with Yoda and Luke in the Empire Strikes Back, which really gave that film it's heart, the contrast between the flashy action stuff, and invested emotion before ESBs climactic end.
      But the young lad really enjoyed it, he wasn't coming at it with the same baggage as me I guess.
      I enjoyed it too in fairness, there's enough in the action sequences to compensate for the leaky/shaky storyline/plot, but it's the kinda movie you come out of and, though you've had fun, it's somewhat forgettable which is a slight pity given it's 'Star Wars'.
      Can't ever get enough of that start though, 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away' text on black background, cue music ... :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5268: Dec 29, 2017 05:10:24 pm
      Watched Oasis Supersonic on BBC 2 tonight. Same producers as Senna and Amy.

Great film, loved every second of it, fantastic viewing for Oasis fans both casual and hardcore. Hedonistic it may have been but true and honest as anything.

Seen it in the cinema when it was released and have it recorded to watch again.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5269: Jan 02, 2018 06:50:48 am
      Watched this one last night. Brilliant. Written & directed by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges & Seven Psychopaths, two of my personal faves of the last decade) - this one is a little bit more of a slow burner drama but still with a good amount of his wicked dark comedy as well as violence. The performances of Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are brilliant, the whole cast is outstanding though. Well worth your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5270: Jan 03, 2018 11:50:27 am
      Watched this one last night. Brilliant. Written & directed by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges & Seven Psychopaths, two of my personal faves of the last decade) - this one is a little bit more of a slow burner drama but still with a good amount of his wicked dark comedy as well as violence. The performances of Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are brilliant, the whole cast is outstanding though. Well worth your time.

Watched that last night and really enjoyed it. Superb film.

Some of the dialogue is absolutely fantastic
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #5271: Jan 03, 2018 11:51:10 am
      I'm an old school Star Wars fan, or just old.

For me ESB will always be the greatest of the films.

But I also enjoyed Rogue One for the different take/viewpoint,
      along with the dramatic ending and kick-ass Vader sequence.

For me TFA was a great bridge between old and new fans/stories.
      Yes there are some scenes that are identical to New Hope but it
      was a great reintroduction to what the original series felt like and
      it introduced some great story-lines/arcs.

I suppose the frustration for some fans with TLJ is it just leaves
      some of the lines that we were introduced to in TFA alone completely
      while it goes off and does something else. And to me that's okay,
      because we can do that later, right?

I both loved and hated TLJ. Some of the cinematography and storytelling
      is majestic, and it's worth seeing for Mark Hammill's Skywalker. Masterclass.

There were parts that kept shunting me out of the experience though.
      Like the additions/changes Lucas made to the original.
      In TLJ it was slightly different. It wasn't just random noises,
      but it was Marvel like in it's constant need to break serious tone with humour.
      Didn't always work for me and felt like this is the part where Star Wars becomes my kid's.

I'm okay with that. I'll always have 4 & 5.

All that said. It's a really enjoyable movie, and visually it's stunning.

Pretty much echoes some of my thoughts mate. There was some good stuff in there but some of plot lines were poor, as you say the 'code breaker' line was not the most plausible and I was hoping/expecting to see some training reminiscent of Empire Strikes Back between Luke and Rey. I left the movie neither loving or hating it. The mrs who is not a Star Wars fan really enjoyed it.

What they have done is clear the decks to make as many Star Wars movies as they want in the future now that they have established that any bugger can use the force. I think it's more one for the kids moving forwards now that all of the old guard have been removed from the equation. My nephew is 7 and a Star Wars Nut! He absolutely loved it and wilst they try t pander to us oldies the new movies are ultimately for them.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #5272: Jan 03, 2018 12:07:16 pm
      Three billboards.
      Can only echo what @bigv & @huyton
      Have said regarding this film.
       The film has set the benchmark high for 2018 thanks to some potent writing, direction and performances from McDormand,( absolute sterling performance from her as always )  Rockwell and Harrelson.
      The film is an exercise in cause and effect, and how a personal tragedy can quickly escalate in a small town. It explores complex themes of anger, vengeance and compassion, whilst running a commentary on civil rights laws and small-town mentality. The humour is dark and at times, rather near the bone but fantastic none the less .
      I hope both Rockwell & McDormand get oscar nods once  the award season comes around as they are both thoroughly deserving.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5273: Jan 03, 2018 12:58:00 pm
      Watched that last night and really enjoyed it. Superb film.

Some of the dialogue is absolutely fantastic

Three billboards.
      Can only echo what @bigv & @huyton
      Have said regarding this film.
       The film has set the benchmark high for 2018 thanks to some potent writing, direction and performances from McDormand,( absolute sterling performance from her as always )  Rockwell and Harrelson.
      The film is an exercise in cause and effect, and how a personal tragedy can quickly escalate in a small town. It explores complex themes of anger, vengeance and compassion, whilst running a commentary on civil rights laws and small-town mentality. The humour is dark and at times, rather near the bone but fantastic none the less .
      I hope both Rockwell & McDormand get oscar nods once  the award season comes around as they are both thoroughly deserving.

There's many great moments, I can't wait to sit down and watch it again.

One in particular I really enjoyed was her monologue to the visiting priest - won't spoil it for anyone, but you guys will surely know what I mean! Rockwell was indeed worthy of an Oscar nod, and Harrelson was brilliant in portraying a character arc that went against what you may have thought the original narrative to be.

Still in awe of the film. I think In Bruges is my fav of his, might just be sentimental though as it's been around for such a long time and was so unique. This was brilliant considering the larger scale of it, In Bruges was quite contained in comparison.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5274: Jan 03, 2018 06:01:04 pm
      There's many great moments, I can't wait to sit down and watch it again.

One in particular I really enjoyed was her monologue to the visiting priest - won't spoil it for anyone, but you guys will surely know what I mean! Rockwell was indeed worthy of an Oscar nod, and Harrelson was brilliant in portraying a character arc that went against what you may have thought the original narrative to be.

Still in awe of the film. I think In Bruges is my fav of his, might just be sentimental though as it's been around for such a long time and was so unique. This was brilliant considering the larger scale of it, In Bruges was quite contained in comparison.

Really looking forward to Three Billboards. Not released until 12th Jan here.

Hope to see Molly's Game this weekend. Big fan of Aaron Sorkin so interested to see how he gets on directing.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5275: Jan 03, 2018 08:51:43 pm
      Went to see Jumanjii today, loved it.

If you're of a certain age, and played 90's computer RPG's I think you'll enjoy it too.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #5276: Jan 05, 2018 06:09:32 am

Didn’t know of that movie until I saw your post, watched it tonigh and really enjoyed it. Have to say one of the best movies I’ve seen lately.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5277: Jan 13, 2018 10:49:53 pm
      Watched all 3 of the Ghostbusters this week, much to my surprise the third was my favourite. Not much between the three, excluding the hokey ending of 2. All three are funny and entertaining.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5278: Jan 14, 2018 09:43:42 am
      Went to see 3 Billboards yesterday with the wife and youngest.

Absolutely loved it - though the wife was bored and thought the humour was misplaced. She likes her drama black and her humour out there front and centre.

Frances McDormand was brilliant and Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson also very good in support.

Came home and we watched In Bruges........which, perversely, she loved 🙄
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5279: Jan 14, 2018 01:42:31 pm

Absolutely loved it - though the wife was bored and thought the humour was misplaced. She likes her drama black and her humour out there front and centre.

Frances McDormand was brilliant and Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson also very good in support.

Going to see it this Tuesday all being well.
      Looking forward to it.

Have you seen Seven Psychopaths?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5280: Jan 14, 2018 03:09:21 pm
      Going to see it this Tuesday all being well.
      Looking forward to it.

Have you seen Seven Psychopaths?

No I haven’t mate.

Enjoy.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5281: Jan 14, 2018 05:15:22 pm

It's another of Martin McDonaghs.

Very funny film.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5282: Jan 17, 2018 12:16:41 pm
      It's another of Martin McDonaghs.

Very funny film.

Sorry Si - meant to respond sooner....yeh think we will catch this weekend.

Probably Sat nite. Going to see “Darkest Hour” during day - new year new Saturday cinema club with Mrs and the 14yr old.

Think we’ll be ready for a bit of levity after that ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5283: Jan 23, 2018 09:19:33 pm

Seen it last night and both me and the missus loved it.

Frances McDormand excellent as ever but Sam Rockwell was the standout for me.

The scene with the Priest in the house was brilliant.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5284: Jan 23, 2018 09:25:20 pm

That or the scene when McDormand accuses Rockwell of torturing black prisoners.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5285: Jan 23, 2018 09:27:37 pm

;D

Yep and I loved the scene where Rockwell teaches the media guy a lesson.

Fantastic film.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5286: Jan 23, 2018 09:45:14 pm

;D

Yep and I loved the scene where Rockwell teaches the media guy a lesson.

Fantastic film.

“You old c**t”;

“I’m not old”
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5287: Jan 23, 2018 09:48:04 pm
      “You old c**t”;

“I’m not old”

;D

You watch Seven Psychopaths yet mate?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5288: Jan 23, 2018 09:54:28 pm
      ;D

You watch Seven Psychopaths yet mate?

Not yet mate.

When we got back from the pub on Sat I stuck Miles Davis “Bitches Brew” on the turntable.

We then necked a bottle of white Rioja and agreed the first 6 places we’re visiting in the world when the kids have flown the coop.........

Seemed so straightforward st the time ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5289: Jan 23, 2018 09:58:51 pm
      Not yet mate.

When we got back from the pub on Sat I stuck Miles Davis “Bitches Brew” on the turntable.

We then necked a bottle of white Rioja and agreed the first 6 places we’re visiting in the world when the kids have flown the coop.........

Seemed so straightforward st the time ;)

There are worse ways to spend a Saturday evening I suppose. ;D

Where's first on the list then?

Quick Reply