Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 704538 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5451: May 29, 2018 05:42:24 pm
      Saw Solo yesterday. Really enjoyed it.

Wtf? How does it compare to TLJ and Rogue one? I decided to give it a skip tbh.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #5452: May 29, 2018 07:05:41 pm
      Wtf? How does it compare to TLJ and Rogue one? I decided to give it a skip tbh.

It's comparable to Rogue One. Nothing like TLJ. I thought it was well done and I wasn't sure that I'd like seeing "Solo" and "Lando" being played by other characters. I really liked it though. Looking forward to the next one.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #5453: Jun 01, 2018 08:36:52 am
      Just watched Sing Street on Film 4.

Been meaning to catch it for ages and it's brilliant.

This Is England is on next so going to watch it again.
      Two cracking films mate,stayed up to  watch both myself , if you've not seen 'dead mans shoes' which was one of Shane meadows earlier films with paddy considine ,then try & catch it
      You won't be disappointed.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5454: Jun 01, 2018 03:00:16 pm
      Solo was ok I guess.

Soft spoiler below.

1 question, when the single train box hit the mountain it blew up, why didn't any of the others explode?... or were they just full of pop tarts?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5455: Jun 05, 2018 11:40:03 pm
      Just home from the the cinema after watching 2001: A Space Odyssey.

It's a film I've never got round to watching before, to my shame, and I'm so glad the first time I seen it was on the big screen.

A stunning piece of work and one I'm still thinking about half an hour later.

Hard to imagine what people thought of this on release 50 years ago but an amazing experience today.

Beautiful, thought provoking, ahead of its time.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2018 01:36:04 am by srslfc »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5456: Jun 06, 2018 12:46:22 am
      Just home from the the cinema after watching 2001: A Space Odyssey.

It's a film I've never got round to watching before, to my shame, and I'm do glad the first time I seen it was on the big screen.

A stunning piece of work and one I'm still thinking about half an hour later.

Hard to imagine what people thought of this on release 50 years ago but am amazing experience today.

Beautiful, thought provoking, ahead of its time.

Saw it for the first time a couple of years back on BBC. Mind blowing and one that has lasted with me since to the extent that it's probably one of my top 10 films. And who needs CGI?! I'll be damned if I ever have enough time left in this world to decipher those last few scenes though!

Would absolutely kill to see it on the big screen though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5457: Jun 06, 2018 12:53:56 am
      Saw it for the first time a couple of years back on BBC. Mind blowing and one that has lasted with me since to the extent that it's probably one of my top 10 films. And who needs CGI?! I'll be damned if I ever have enough time left in this world to decipher those last few scenes though!

Would absolutely kill to see it on the big screen though.

It's straight into my top 10 as well mate.

You're right about the CGI comment as the visuals created by Kubrick and the special effects without CGI are unreal.

There was only 4 of us in the screen, myself on my own and three young lads behind me, and in the intermission they were chatting away about how they couldn't believe the film was 50 years old.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5458: Jun 06, 2018 01:25:19 am
      It's straight into my top 10 as well mate.

You're right about the CGI comment as the visuals created by Kubrick and the special effects without CGI are unreal.

There was only 4 of us in the screen, myself on my own and three young lads behind me, and in the intermission they were chatting away about how they couldn't believe the film was 50 years old.

Yeah, I watched it with my brother and said the exact same thing. I love to go on to youtube from time to time and rewatch different sequences of it, my favourite definitely being the craft floating through outer space in harmony with the Blue Danube. I don't want to sound mawkish or anything but it made me feel like a kid again with all that imagination and vivid imagery. By far Kubrick's greatest achievement in my opinion.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5459: Jun 06, 2018 03:47:30 am
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5460: Jun 12, 2018 05:27:57 pm
      The Mountain Between Us.

Pretty average.

Afterwards watched Donnie Brasco again.

Fantastic film and for me one of my favourite Pacino roles as Lefty.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #5461: Jun 12, 2018 07:00:41 pm
      Watched the final Maze Runner movie.

Meh.....pretty underwhelming. Overall I thought the trilogy was mediocre so I wasn't expecting much.

Also caught Game Night (I think that's what it's called) on the plane last week. Funny in parts, but overall a bit slow.

Watched 12 Strong...it was ok, but felt like it was very rushed and disjointed and the acting wasn't that stellar to be fair. Sorry but I can't buy Hemsworth as anything but Thor.

Finally went back and watched Collateral again. What an outstanding movie that was. Really great acting jobs by Cruise and Foxx. And the use of Audioslave's "Shadow on the Sun" in the soundtrack towards the end of the movie...it really set a tone for the climax. Really a well done movie worth a watch.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5462: Jun 12, 2018 11:03:46 pm
      Watched the final Maze Runner movie.

Meh.....pretty underwhelming. Overall I thought the trilogy was mediocre so I wasn't expecting much.

Also caught Game Night (I think that's what it's called) on the plane last week. Funny in parts, but overall a bit slow.

Watched 12 Strong...it was ok, but felt like it was very rushed and disjointed and the acting wasn't that stellar to be fair. Sorry but I can't buy Hemsworth as anything but Thor.

Finally went back and watched Collateral again. What an outstanding movie that was. Really great acting jobs by Cruise and Foxx. And the use of Audioslave's "Shadow on the Sun" in the soundtrack towards the end of the movie...it really set a tone for the climax. Really a well done movie worth a watch.

You've reminded me to watch Collateral again.

Tom Cruise is great in that playing against his normal type.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5463: Jun 13, 2018 11:22:25 am
      You've reminded me to watch Collateral again.

Tom Cruise is great in that playing against his normal type.

One of his best roles he's played imo.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5464: Jun 14, 2018 02:50:04 pm
      Watched the, Death Wish remake. Bruce Willis' acting was complete joke, but even more of a joke is the film! I don't even know why I watched it. As much as it was laughable, it's better than, The Last Jedi.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #5465: Jun 14, 2018 03:26:23 pm
      Watched the, Death Wish remake. Bruce Willis' acting was complete joke, but even more of a joke is the film! I don't even know why I watched it. As much as it was laughable, it's better than, The Last Jedi.

:lmao:

I'll swerve Death Wish then for sure
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5466: Jun 14, 2018 04:31:11 pm

Bruce Willis' acting has been shaky for a while, I remember him being slagged off by director Kevin Smith for being a bit of a lazy pr**k.

Although I thought Death Wish was one of his better films of recent years, definitely not a patch on the original with Charles Bronson.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5467: Jun 14, 2018 04:59:52 pm
      Bruce Willis' acting has been shaky for a while, I remember him being slagged off by director Kevin Smith for being a bit of a lazy pr**k.

Although I thought Death Wish was one of his better films of recent years, definitely not a patch on the original with Charles Bronson.

Honestly, I never knew Bruce Willis was that bad of an actor tbh. Then again, I have only seen him in Die Hard 1-2 and Sixth Sense.

I was really expecting a very dark gritty and very violent film, but F***ing hell, these remakes of late have been so watered down :(
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #5468: Jun 18, 2018 09:10:38 am
      As @HR mentioned Thought it was one of his better films of late although that isn't saying much at all the garage scene was pretty brutal ( in typical Eli Roth style) though.
      The  last decent film I watched of BW  was unbreakable.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #5469: Jun 18, 2018 09:32:20 am
      As @HR mentioned Thought it was one of his better films of late although that isn't saying much at all the garage scene was pretty brutal ( in typical Eli Roth style) though.

He had a nice cameo in Split as well :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5470: Jun 18, 2018 04:06:19 pm

But was that because of Bruce Willis or Samuel L. Jackson? ;)

lseoxfordworldcup
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #5471: Jun 19, 2018 02:33:24 am
      I'm looking forward to Incredibles 2. Reviews so far seem to be positive. My teenage favorite animation.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #5472: Jun 22, 2018 09:43:28 am
      He had a nice cameo in Split as well :)
      I've not watched split yet,must watch it because as you rightly allude to it is linked to unbreakable & im looking forward to 'Glass' which is in the works.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #5473: Jun 22, 2018 09:44:27 am
      But was that because of Bruce Willis or Samuel L. Jackson? ;)
      SLJ mate ,always watchable and is cool as F**k.

Quick Reply