Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699506 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5658: Apr 30, 2019 08:32:23 pm
      Off to see Endgame tonight. As it stands, I'll have the cinema to myself, according to the online seat selector.

Enjoy mate it's massively enjoyable just don't expect a LOTR level masterpiece. I'm not the biggest Marvel fan but I loved it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5659: Apr 30, 2019 08:50:18 pm
      Not a masterpiece but the best Marvel movie to date in my opinion and if you look at Infinity Wars and Endgame as a single movie the best superhero movie of all time after The Dark Knight.

I know I'm in a minority, but The Dark Knight isn't the best of the trilogy, that's Batman Begins.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5660: Apr 30, 2019 08:53:12 pm
      I know I'm in a minority, but The Dark Knight isn't the best of the trilogy, that's Batman Begins.

Shame on you :P

Batman Begins is second for me after TDK. I wasn't a fan of TDKR or how the trilogy ended.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5661: May 01, 2019 01:44:01 pm
      2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Just watched this... what a crock of sh*t.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5662: May 01, 2019 01:45:59 pm

:lmao:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5663: May 01, 2019 02:07:36 pm

Really? I still haven't seen it but plan on doing so soon.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5664: May 01, 2019 02:23:33 pm

It’s proper boring sh*te, trust me it ain’t worth the loss of time..
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5665: May 01, 2019 04:55:16 pm

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5666: May 01, 2019 05:57:09 pm

Ignore them mate. ;D

It's a masterpiece.

I went to the cinema to see it last year for the anniversary showing and it was fantastic. Slow moving I'll admit but a great piece of filmmaking.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5667: May 01, 2019 06:29:20 pm
      Ignore them mate. ;D

It's a masterpiece.

I went to the cinema to see it last year for the anniversary showing and it was fantastic. Slow moving I'll admit but a great piece of filmmaking.

Kubrick tends towards the cerebral in as much as you can with a piece of cinema for mass consumption.

I've always thought that the amount someone takes from this film depends almost entirely on how much they think about it during the film, and that's the reason it's slow moving.

Loved it when I saw it in the 1970's, still love it now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5668: May 01, 2019 06:34:18 pm
      It's hard going at times but it is a tremendous piece of film making.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5669: May 05, 2019 08:35:43 pm

Daisy, daisy, give us yer tit to chew,
      I'm half cra-zy, all for the love of you...

Know yer supposed to like it, but I wasn't mad about it either :)
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #5670: Jun 01, 2019 02:25:36 pm
      Watched Rocketman, the Elton John biopic.

It’s got mixed reviews and whilst it’s alright, I didn’t find there was any depth to it. You could change the soundtrack and insert any megastar from that era and have the same story. Sex, drugs, Rock n Roll and redemption.

Personally think the movie would have been better if it explored his personal relationships a little more, with his parents, John Reid and the period he was married where he was obviously battling with his sexuality. All of that is acknowledged but glossed over imo. The period he was married last about 5 minutes, if that and then it moves on.

Think there was a lot of material to work with and it was quite underwhelming ultimately and became a generic rock star movie and I can’t help but feel Elton John has a huge say over the direction the movie took. 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5671: Jun 01, 2019 07:10:19 pm

It’s got mixed reviews and whilst it’s alright, I didn’t find there was any depth to it. You could change the soundtrack and insert any megastar from that era and have the same story. Sex, drugs, Rock n Roll and redemption.

Personally think the movie would have been better if it explored his personal relationships a little more, with his parents, John Reid and the period he was married where he was obviously battling with his sexuality. All of that is acknowledged but glossed over imo. The period he was married last about 5 minutes, if that and then it moves on.

Think there was a lot of material to work with and it was quite underwhelming ultimately and became a generic rock star movie and I can’t help but feel Elton John has a huge say over the direction the movie took. 

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5672: Jun 01, 2019 07:15:17 pm
      Finally got around to watching Logan. Loved the action, the acting, stunning cinematography, it was a beautiful story and yet, at the end, I felt underwhelmed, disappointed, a little let down. It was like the film was less than the sum of its parts.

So conflicted, this is going to need a rewatch, just going to have to leave it a little while though.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #5673: Jun 03, 2019 07:52:18 am

:D

Won’t be happening in Russia where it has been censored :D
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5674: Jun 03, 2019 10:28:06 am

*** SPOLIERS ***

The thing about these movies that frustrates me is that it’s all very ‘poor me’. He may have had a relatively tough upbringing and I’m not saying it’s impossible his family was against his sexuality but I don’t believe for a minute that they were that cold and calculated. The scene when he phoned his mum, her repsonse is so dramatic and unnatural that I don’t believe for a minute it happened anything like that.

As you say, Elton John was heavily involved in the direction of the movie and I feel he probably played things up quite a bit, like most people do in these type of movies.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #5675: Jun 03, 2019 01:24:17 pm
      *** SPOLIERS ***

The thing about these movies that frustrates me is that it’s all very ‘poor me’. He may have had a relatively tough upbringing and I’m not saying it’s impossible his family was against his sexuality but I don’t believe for a minute that they were that cold and calculated. The scene when he phoned his mum, her repsonse is so dramatic and unnatural that I don’t believe for a minute it happened anything like that.

As you say, Elton John was heavily involved in the direction of the movie and I feel he probably played things up quite a bit, like most people do in these type of movies.

Agree mate and that was something I said after. It was a very ‘oh look how hard I had it tale’, with him taking no responsibility for anything or even going into depth of what his feelings were. Quite a shallow movie when it really could have been something much more. There were a few scenes where you watched it and thought is that really how it played out, probably not.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5676: Jun 29, 2019 11:51:19 pm
      Saw the Apollo 11 documentary. One of the best documentaries I've seen - can't remember seeing old film footage look so beautifully restored and glossy as it looked on that film. The build up and launch sequence of Apollo 11 is one of the best things I've ever seen in a cinema.

Breathtaking and a beautiful reminder of just how ambitious and glorious humanity was and still can be. I'd absolutely love to see something like that in my lifetime.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5677: Jun 30, 2019 03:51:18 am
      Dark Phoenix,  it should be a film that has a huge scope,  that feels large and should have repercussions across the whole universe and instead it feels small and some actors looked like they were phoning in their performance. Michael Fassender is the exception to all this and it's a shame we will never see a standalone film for the character and actor whom has been the MVP in this iteration of the X-Men franchise.

Also watched What We Left Behind, a Deep Space 9. It had its moments, it's definitely for fans and while it had a premise of focusing on writers breaking a fictional season 8, this means it's a little light on looking back on the series as a whole, though we di get time with most the characters, with one glaring omission, as far as I'm concerned, no Louise Fletcher aka Kai Winn (or Nurse Rachett to some of you). Thr other post this documentary promised was a glimpse of what DS9 could look le in HD, it is absolutely stunning, just a shame that I don't think we'll ever get that treatment for the whole series.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5678: Jul 02, 2019 12:08:23 pm
      Watched Spider-Man Far From Home last night/this morning.

Gone straight to the top and is now my favourite Spider-man movie.

It's funny, it's well crafted and was the perfect antidote to the shitfest that was Dark Phoenix.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5679: Jul 03, 2019 09:25:26 am
      Watched District 9 again after a few years, great film.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5680: Jul 13, 2019 11:35:13 pm
      Just can’t wait to see this movie..

Just by looking at the trailer Phoenix looks good for an Oscar.,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1WuDZ_fl5DQ

Quick Reply