Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 704720 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5796: May 10, 2020 10:58:18 pm
      Got back to the Star Wars rewatch this afternoon with Solo.

Still not a great film for me but with more redeeming moments than I recall from the first watch.

The first 40 mins or so is pretty good with the double train scenes well done but nothing much after that.

Rogue One next and looking forward as it's in my top three and easily the best of the new films.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5797: May 10, 2020 11:36:07 pm
      Got back to the Star Wars rewatch this afternoon with Solo.

Still not a great film for me but with more redeeming moments than I recall from the first watch.

The first 40 mins or so is pretty good with the double train scenes well done but nothing much after that.

Rogue One next and looking forward as it's in my top three and easily the best of the new films.

I loved Rouge One.. rest after it all average.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5798: May 10, 2020 11:41:49 pm
      I loved Rouge One.. rest after it all average.

It's fantastic mate and it might even edge into my Number 1 when I watch again.

Empire Strikes Back is hard to beat but Rogue One has vied with A New Hope for the next best since I first seen it and on the first rewatch it got even better.

Shits all over the new trilogy for me and the best thing Disney have done for the Star Wars franchise along with The Mandalorian.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #5799: Jun 01, 2020 11:55:46 am
      Can't be doing with Carry  On films myself mate.

Been on at my wife for years about how great Laurel And Hardy were so might eventually try and persuade her to watch a few of those over the coming weeks.

I love Laurel and Hardy. They are just wonderfully funny. Way Out West my favourite of their long movies.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #5800: Jun 01, 2020 11:57:44 am
      What about the Three stooges,i can't be doing with em at all but know a few over here that love em.

Not funny at all IMHO. Perhaps they apply to the very young with their slapstick stuff but painful for me (as an adult).

But, the movie Three Stoogies which came out few years ago is pretty good if you leave the brain on off when watching it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5801: Jun 01, 2020 05:53:19 pm
      Finally got round to watching Good Vibrations over the weekend.

Fantastic film with an unreal soundtrack. Loads of humour throughout and a story well told.

bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #5802: Jun 21, 2020 12:33:41 pm
      Finally watched Once upon a time in Hollywood and absolutely loved it. Think it’s a masterpiece.

Brad Pitt is superb in it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5803: Jun 21, 2020 06:01:58 pm
      Finally watched Once upon a time in Hollywood and absolutely loved it. Think it’s a masterpiece.

I love Di Caprio, but the dog should get best supporting actor ;)
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #5804: Jun 21, 2020 11:58:14 pm
      I love Di Caprio, but the dog should get best supporting actor ;)

Ha, not a bad shout.

LDC flying out to the hippies and shouting at them to get their mechanical arsehole off his street made me laugh.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #5805: Jun 22, 2020 10:08:06 am

Wouldn't say masterpiece as it doesn't have the rewatchability factor of Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. But as a one off watch I found it very enjoyable especially that bat sh*t crazy ending.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #5806: Jun 22, 2020 10:16:49 am
      Wouldn't say masterpiece as it doesn't have the rewatchability factor of Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. But as a one off watch I found it very enjoyable especially that bat sh*t crazy ending.

Fair enough mate but I will certainly watch it again a few times. I was expecting to be disappointed after some of people’s reviews on it but certainly wasn’t. And it did get a 7 minute standing ovation at Cannes film festival. It was brilliant IMO.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #5807: Jun 24, 2020 07:28:31 pm
      Ha, not a bad shout.

LDC flying out to the hippies and shouting at them to get their mechanical arsehole off his street made me laugh.

Hahaha the whole film from that point is like taking an acid trip, pure F***ing laughing madness.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5808: Jun 28, 2020 05:44:21 pm
      Watched 'Mute' on Netflix.
      Like Alexander Skarsgard but thought this was pretty crap. Was thinking after an hour or so, am I gonna finish this. Did though. Not sure Paul Rudd works as a short fused army deserter. And it's set in the future to make things more jumbled.
      Nah.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5809: Sep 01, 2020 07:28:42 pm
      Just back from Tenet.

Truly cinematic and an experience for the eyes and the ears but just do not ask me to explain what the hell was going on. ;D

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #5810: Sep 01, 2020 07:45:09 pm
      Just back from Tenet.

Truly cinematic and an experience for the eyes and the ears but just do not ask me to explain what the hell was going on. ;D

I’ve heard it’s overly complicated and the bulk of the movie is spent on the action and very little on the (somewhat complex) plot. That sound about right?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5811: Sep 01, 2020 07:47:25 pm
      I’ve heard it’s overly complicated and the bulk of the movie is spent on the action and very little on the (somewhat complex) plot. That sound about right?

Pretty much mate.

Enjoyably none the less if you choose not to try and think what it was all about.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #5812: Sep 01, 2020 08:11:24 pm

It's actually not that complicated when you piece the story together after watching. But there is so much happening on screen at a frenetic pace with dialogue that's barely audible due to the bombastic soundtrack it's quite perplexing while watching it.

Not as good a movie as Inception but it's definitely original and entertaining as you would expect from a Nolan film.

It's best just to go with the spectacle while watching and piece the story together afterwards.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #5813: Sep 01, 2020 08:45:51 pm
      Every bit as confusing as you’d expect a Nolan film to be. All the more surreal because when I went there was an absolute monster of a spider walking about the screen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #5814: Sep 02, 2020 01:10:09 am
      Every bit as confusing as you’d expect a Nolan film to be. All the more surreal because when I went there was an absolute monster of a spider walking about the screen.

I’m just amazed people are allowed to go to theaters. I don’t think there are any open around me. 🙄
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5815: Sep 02, 2020 01:13:55 am
      I’m just amazed people are allowed to go to theaters. I don’t think there are any open around me. 🙄

Didn't you know you can't catch it in a pub, cinema or restaurant?
      Kopite78
      Reply #5816: Sep 02, 2020 01:21:09 pm

Would you go if they were open?

Didn't you know you can't catch it in a pub, cinema or restaurant?

Yeah funny isnt it. Personally I've not been back to any of them. The odd Starbucks whilst working like but nothing else

Those places make me laugh a bit, I can go in and order a takeaway and have to wear a mask to be in there for two minutes, surrounded by people drinking in not wearing masks

Policy all over the place
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5817: Sep 12, 2020 01:34:10 am
      Watched Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Karate Kid and the Cornetto Trilogy in the cinema recently. Socially distanced, less than 40 people, in total.for all five. Hot Fuzz was by far the best of the lot.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #5818: Sep 25, 2020 10:20:17 pm

I'd say a cinema is arguably the safest indoor hospitality there is.  I can't immediately think of any other indoor public gathering in which I would feel safer.

Anyway, technically a film, who has seen The Social Dilemma on Netflix?  Absolutely frightening but completely understandable.

Makes you realise how your beliefs are reinforced and thus people with slightly different beliefs are reinforced the other side of the argument.

Quick Reply