Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 709470 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #5980: Nov 13, 2021 04:11:18 pm
      Narcos Mexico season 3 getting watched tonight.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #5981: Nov 13, 2021 05:34:18 pm
      I think it’s on amazon prime. I’m sure Iv listed it as one to watch.
      I rewatched The Road the other day. I forgot how good, if not dreary, that is. Does justice to the novel.

It is indeed. In found it last weekend! Very good film - though i think my favourite survival film I've seen recently is still The 12th Man, a Norwegian epic based on a true story in WW2. Wonderful film! Was on Amazon Prime last time I looked
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #5982: Nov 13, 2021 10:59:51 pm
      Just saw Dune.

Oh dear. Its a long time since I saw a film where the reviews so mismatched my own perception of it. One note, one tone and tedious with characters that were utterly joyless and devoid of any emotional engagement for the viewer. A script spoken in humourless, humaneless militaristic language complete with vague platitudes. Nor have I been as disappointed in Hans Zimmer who's constant doom laden music becomes utterly repetitive just 20 minutes in. For a 2 and a half hour movie, it's very early on when you realise that you're just going to have to ride it out. There is no tension at all and one too many one on one fight scenes. It clearly does something for a lot of people out there but this one has gone completely over my head. I was amazed how much I didn't like it - I loved Villeneuve's Arrival from a few years back but this one just didn't land anywhere.

One of the worst films I've seen in a long time.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2021 03:04:25 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5983: Nov 13, 2021 11:58:32 pm
      It is indeed. In found it last weekend! Very good film - though i think my favourite survival film I've seen recently is still The 12th Man, a Norwegian epic based on a true story in WW2. Wonderful film! Was on Amazon Prime last time I looked

Looks interesting indeed. I'll add it to my (admittedly too long) list.  :)

As long as we are in the survival genre, here are 2 other favourites of mine: Rescue Dawn, and The Way Back.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #5984: Nov 14, 2021 12:03:31 am
      Looks interesting indeed. I'll add it to my (admittedly too long) list.  :)

As long as we are in the survival genre, here are 2 other favourites of mine: Rescue Dawn, and The Way Back.

Yes!! One of the most underrated films I've ever seen. It was fantastic when I saw it a couple of years back for the first time - true to form for Peter Weir, one of the great film makers. He sure has a sensitivity and light touch with his films.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,267 posts | 282 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #5985: Nov 14, 2021 08:36:54 am
      Watched Death in Texas last night. I believe it was the directors debut film and thought it was pretty well done. Not loads of unbelievable action and more of a real life drama with the lead actor having to make some tough choices for his family.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,563 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5986: Nov 16, 2021 12:50:49 am
      Saw 'Dune' last night and liked it a lot.
      Empire mag gave it 5 stars, but I'd prob give it 4, maybe 4.5
      It had all the good sci-fi stuff, great colors, music, planets, ruling dynasties, visions, big worms, magicy people. Good performances from good actors.
      But the scope of it was really broad and just felt it didn't go into enough depth in certain things and certain characters, like the bald guy with dodgy legs, he was great :) Plus it was just part1, and unfortunately Villenuve hasn't made part2 yet, like LOTRs made em all in one go and released them years apart.
      Overall though, deffo a cinema film, was a long movie but I didn't find the time pass at all, and didn't want it to end when it did.
      Looking forward to part2 :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3855 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5987: Nov 16, 2021 10:53:36 am
      Well?

Fantastic for me. Truly cinematic experience.

I loved it.
      Been a Dune fan all my life so was delighted when I saw Villeneuve was going to be the one making it.
      I can understand some people's frustration with it, especially the pacing and how the movie stands on its own (where it doesn't).

For me though it was worth the wait and hopefully those who didn't enjoy this movie can hang in there for the second (and hopefully 3rd).

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #5988: Nov 27, 2021 12:12:30 pm
      Going to have to subscribe to Disney+ to watch The Beatles Get Back. Three part, nearly 8 hour epic from Peter Jackson. Can't wait to see it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #5989: Nov 27, 2021 12:48:56 pm
      Watched Believe me , a gripping fight for survival at the hands of a serial killer paedophile , a young girl who because she was so smart none of the relevant authorities believed.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 1497 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5990: Dec 08, 2021 07:14:23 pm
      Booked my ticket for Spiderman on Wednesday, most the showings were pretty full up but managed to grab a decent centre seat, only problem is it's at 10am, but oh well, wouldn't usually go to a day one showing but I really don't want this one spoiled before I see it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #5991: Dec 09, 2021 07:30:00 pm
      Booked my ticket for Spiderman on Wednesday, most the showings were pretty full up but managed to grab a decent centre seat, only problem is it's at 10am, but oh well, wouldn't usually go to a day one showing but I really don't want this one spoiled before I see it.

Interesting.

Spiderman was my favourite Superhero as a kid but honestly never can get into the Marvel version.

It's almost like they're making him Iron Man light and for me just isn't Spidey.

The Sam Raimi movies are the ones for me.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 1497 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5992: Dec 09, 2021 09:34:14 pm
      Interesting.

Spiderman was my favourite Superhero as a kid but honestly never can get into the Marvel version.

It's almost like they're making him Iron Man light and for me just isn't Spidey.

The Sam Raimi movies are the ones for me.

Yeah I’m more into the Raimi movies myself, and that’s the main reason I’m going, to see for myself if Toby and Andrews spidermen are in this movie, I don’t wanna find out on TikTok or something, so figured I’d go see it early and if I get to see those two return for a bit, especially Toby, will be pretty excited to say the least!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #5993: Dec 10, 2021 12:00:05 am
      Going to have to subscribe to Disney+ to watch The Beatles Get Back. Three part, nearly 8 hour epic from Peter Jackson. Can't wait to see it.

Watched the first episode. Honestly just inject it into my veins. Exactly the kind of behind the scenes stuff I love to see. Only reason I haven’t finished it is I’m waiting for the family to be available to watch with me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #5994: Dec 10, 2021 10:09:43 am
      Watched the first episode. Honestly just inject it into my veins. Exactly the kind of behind the scenes stuff I love to see. Only reason I haven’t finished it is I’m waiting for the family to be available to watch with me.

Like you I'm waiting until me and the missus are both free to get stuck into this

If she doesn't hurry up then I'll start without her as I'm the same as you mate, this is right up my street.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #5995: Dec 10, 2021 11:07:34 am
      Like you I'm waiting until me and the missus are both free to get stuck into this

If she doesn't hurry up then I'll start without her as I'm the same as you mate, this is right up my street.

I've got so many things I'm behind on that I'm trying to wait on either my wife or my wife and kids to watch. It's hard because I work from home so I can have the TV on while I'm working but I can't watch anything that I know she'll want to see. I still need to see the last Bond film. I think we are going to end up renting that on Apple TV and watching it at home. Don't think I'm going to make it in time to see it in the theater.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #5996: Dec 10, 2021 08:00:53 pm

It blows my mind. They seem so wise and experienced and such established legends by the time it was being recorded but John and Ringo were still only 29, Paul 28 and George just 25!

And it was only 6 years after the release of their very first album. As musicians, as people, they must have travelled multiple lifetimes in that short period. They had the universe in the palm of their hand - incredible for just four lads from Liverpool.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #5997: Dec 11, 2021 10:12:21 am
      Watched Finch yesterday starring Tom Hanks. Fantastic movie. Loved it. Highly recommended.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #5998: Dec 11, 2021 12:22:35 pm
      Watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife the other night  definitely a better version than the all-ladies effort.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5999: Dec 11, 2021 12:28:27 pm
      Watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife the other night  definitely a better version than the all-ladies effort.

I have heard a few people saying this is decent
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #6000: Dec 11, 2021 02:20:16 pm
      https://youtu.be/meK0G3o9mPw

20 years ago

Glorious.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 1497 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6001: Dec 16, 2021 01:39:19 pm
      Watched the new Spider-Man yesterday morning… wow! It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a cinema screening with every single seat taken, hearing that many people react to scenes with laughter and such was a great experience and the movie was fantastic!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #6002: Dec 16, 2021 01:42:16 pm

This is one of those series of movies where I looked so forward to the next one, but at the same time I was always so sad to watch each one because it meant it was coming to a close. Not sure if that makes sense.

Quick Reply