Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

News of the World quote Pepe?

Read 1760 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      News of the World quote Pepe?
      Jul 06, 2009 02:21:29 am
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5415721,00.html

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina is confident the club will keep hold of Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano.

Reina's Spanish team-mate Xabi Alonso has been strongly linked with Real Madrid, while Barcelona are thought to be courting Mascherano.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has rejected speculation linking the pair with moves out of Anfield and Reina believes his manager has no plans to sell the pair as he builds a side capable of challenging for the Premier League title.

"I believe that he [Benitez] has his mind very clear and his idea in these moments is to not sell," Reina told EFE.

"He wants to continue with a team he has known for a long time, with an already fundamented base and where we know almost everything.

"Whoever wants to touch this team or this structure [Liverpool] will have to pay a lot of money."

Blast

Meanwhile, Reina has hit out at Gareth Barryand Carlos Tevez for snubbing moves to Liverpool this summer.
      Long-term transfer target Barry left Aston Villato join City earlier this summer and Tevez looks set to join him at Eastlands after ruling out a switch to Liverpool.

Reina believes the pair have made a mistake in shunning Liverpool feeling they money is the motivating factor in their decisions to spurn a switch to Anfield

"Apparently, they moved for the money. That is their decision but I also think it is their problem if they cannot see that Liverpool is a bigger club," Reina is quoted as saying in the News of the World.

"It's up to them what they do but let me tell them that I am very proud to play for Liverpool. We can offer European football and I think that should have been a consideration for them.

"Everybody knows what it is to play for Liverpool. It's a pleasure and a tremendous honour. I am surprised they didn't consider these things.

"Some things in a player's career should be more important than money."

I dont think he would have talked to the lazy scum but for them to claim he has?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: News of the World quote Pepe?
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2009 04:43:39 am
      I bought the same thing up in another thread.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2009 06:54:00 am
      The bit you put in bold sounds odd, a strangely put phrase.

It doesn't say he said it to the NOTW, just that he was quoted in that newspaper. Maybe they took something he said in a different interview to fit into their story? :-\
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2009 07:38:12 am
      I hope your right. TBH i dont see Pepe being so ignorant to talk to them. If he did, a big fuss would have been blown up by now and an apology.

Hate that scum rag.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #4: Jul 06, 2009 10:42:04 am
      Those quotes are probably taken from a Spanish paper. The reporter is Rob Beasley and he has form for this before, remember Rafa suing the NOTW for taking his quotes out of context amd who was the reporter?

My personal opinion on the NOTW is that it is a load of sh*t, but it was definitely not part of the original boycott and neither was Rupert Murdoch. The boycott was specifically The Sun and that horrible, odious tw*t Kelvin Mackensie.

The NOTW however, are a bunch of sh*t-stirring bas**rds as shown by some of the stories circulated by Chris Bascombe regarding Rafa and the Reds last season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2009 10:54:39 am
      The actual interview was conducted and printed by EFE www.efe.com which is the Spanish news agency the story has just been stolen and printed by the News Of The World
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2009 10:58:20 am
      The Big fella also says in the Daily Post today, that Xabi and Javier are going nowhere. And seeing as he's bezzie mates with Xabi, I'd have this as a very good sign.

Pepe Reina expects Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano to stay at Anfield - Liverpol FC latest
      Jul 6 2009  by Nick Peet, Liverpool Daily Post 

PEPE REINA is confident Liverpool will keep hold of both Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano despite summer speculation linking both with moves to Spain.

Current players from both Real Madrid, who are courting Alonso, and Mascherano pursuers Barcelona have been stoking the fires for the past few weeks as regards to their proposed transfers to La Liga.

Barca midfielder Sergi Busquets was the latest over the weekend, throwing his two pence into the hat and confirming his approval of any bid for Liverpool’s Argentina skipper.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has rejected speculation linking the pair with moves out of Anfield and Reina believes his manager has no plans to sell any key members of a squad determined to win the club’s first Premier League title.

Reina said: “I believe that Benitez has his mind very clear and his idea in these moments is to not sell. He wants to continue with a team he has known for a long time, with an already funda-mental base and where we know almost everything.

“Whoever wants to touch this team or this structure will have to pay a lot of money.”

Meanwhile, Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby have agreed new long-term deals.

The pair are entering the final year of their existing Anfield contracts and Liverpool manager Benitez is keen to reward them with three-year extensions.

Midfielder Spearing, who captained the FA Youth Cup-winning side in 2007, made his debut for the first team last season and impressed as a substitute in the UEFA Champions League win over Real Madrid.

Full-back Darby is highly-rated at Anfield and he made three appearances in the first team last term. The duo are expected to put pen-to-paper on the contracts when Liverpool return for pre-season training later this week.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/06/pepe-reina-expects-xabi-alonso-and-javier-mascherano-to-stay-at-anfield-liverpol-fc-latest-92534-24081657/
      DMS
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2009 11:06:01 am
      The Big fella also says in the Daily Post today, that Xabi and Javier are going nowhere. And seeing as he's bezzie mates with Xabi, I'd have this as a very good sign.

Pepe Reina expects Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano to stay at Anfield - Liverpol FC latest
      Jul 6 2009  by Nick Peet, Liverpool Daily Post 

PEPE REINA is confident Liverpool will keep hold of both Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano despite summer speculation linking both with moves to Spain.

Current players from both Real Madrid, who are courting Alonso, and Mascherano pursuers Barcelona have been stoking the fires for the past few weeks as regards to their proposed transfers to La Liga.

Barca midfielder Sergi Busquets was the latest over the weekend, throwing his two pence into the hat and confirming his approval of any bid for Liverpool’s Argentina skipper.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has rejected speculation linking the pair with moves out of Anfield and Reina believes his manager has no plans to sell any key members of a squad determined to win the club’s first Premier League title.

Reina said: “I believe that Benitez has his mind very clear and his idea in these moments is to not sell. He wants to continue with a team he has known for a long time, with an already funda-mental base and where we know almost everything.

“Whoever wants to touch this team or this structure will have to pay a lot of money.”

Meanwhile, Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby have agreed new long-term deals.

The pair are entering the final year of their existing Anfield contracts and Liverpool manager Benitez is keen to reward them with three-year extensions.

Midfielder Spearing, who captained the FA Youth Cup-winning side in 2007, made his debut for the first team last season and impressed as a substitute in the UEFA Champions League win over Real Madrid.

Full-back Darby is highly-rated at Anfield and he made three appearances in the first team last term. The duo are expected to put pen-to-paper on the contracts when Liverpool return for pre-season training later this week.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/06/pepe-reina-expects-xabi-alonso-and-javier-mascherano-to-stay-at-anfield-liverpol-fc-latest-92534-24081657/
      certainly great news, hopefully pepe has been talking to the lads over their summer hols ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2009 11:12:25 am
      Pepe Reina blasts Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez

PEPE REINA has hit out at Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez for snubbing Liverpool and opting for the riches on offer at Manchester City.

The Spanish keeper was a key part of the Reds side that finished just four points below Manchester United in the club's best Premier League season for years.

But instead of adding to the squad over the summer, Reina has so far seen two transfer targets turn down the chance of a move to Anfield and could also see team-mates like Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano leave Liverpool in search of moves abroad.
      Opportunity

Barry looked a certainty to arrive on Merseyside in the close season after missing out on a move from Aston Villa 12 months ago.

But City seized the opportunity to snatch the player by offering him £120,000 a week before Liverpool had a chance to put in place the finance to sign him.

Tevez has been offered £140,000 a week to move to Eastlands after failing to agree a deal to extend his career at Old Trafford.
      Pole

Liverpool also thought they were in pole position to land the Argentine by offering him Champions League football. Instead, the pair look to have chosen the money available at City. And Reina believes they should have prioritised their prospects of achievement above their wages.

He said: "Apparently, they moved for the money. That is their decision but I also think it is their problem if they cannot see that Liverpool is a bigger club.

"It's up to them what they do but let me tell them that I am very proud to play for Liverpool. We can offer European football and I think that should have been a consideration for them.
      Honour

"Everybody knows what it is to play for Liverpool. It's a pleasure and a tremendous honour. I am surprised they didn't consider these things. Some things in a player's career should be more important than money."

Liverpool's latest balance sheet shows why they appear unable to offer anywhere near the kind of lucrative wages City are tempting players with at present.

Figures announced last month showed that joint owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks are struggling to service the £350million loan they took out to buy the club.

Kop Holdings, the parent company that owns Liverpool, lost nearly £43m last year and backers RBS have moved to assure fans that their club is safe.

As it stands, manager Rafa Benitez is having to sell players before he can strengthen his side.
      Fighting

Even so, Reina, 26, insists Liverpool will be strong enough come the start of the season.

He said: "At Liverpool, you have to be fighting for the title and that's what we will be doing this year.

"We are involved in four competitions and just targeting one of them is not enough. The big one of the Premier League would definitely be best."

I have Just noticed but if you look at the bold part of this story I think that tells a story in itself this is old news rehashed I reckon and the quotes are quite possibly taken from other media circles.
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2009 11:50:57 am by RedLFCBlood »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2009 11:17:43 am
      Its looking at the moment like the first interview regarding Alonso and Masch was conducted by EFE and the second interview regarding Barry and Tevez was done by the news of the world. Sky Sports it appears have merged both stories, I am going to look into the interview regarding Barry and Tevez and see if its an original News of the World story or if its taken from other media circles. My post regarding Barry and Tevez is taken directly from The News of The World so feel free to remove if required.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2009 11:43:13 am
      Well all I can come up with regarding the Barry and Tevez story are direct quotes to The News Of The World, but before we condemn Pepe (with out any concrete evidence) I remember reading yesterday that Reina is in Spain and thats where he has been since the confederations cup ended plus thats where the original interview regarding Masch and Alonso came from (efe Spanish news agency).

There is nothing in the story regarding Barry and Tevez claiming it as an exclusive from The News Of The World as far as I can see, which is something they would normally do.

I can only assume maybe Reina has given an interview in Spain where its quite possible maybe 5-6-7-8-9 mic's were shoved in his face and the News of The World have taken direct quotes from there as Pepe has not been back in england since the confederations cup ended.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2009 12:48:59 pm
      Sorted then. Reina's innocent. Thanks RedLFCBlood for the research work.

Quick Reply