Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Games vs Movies

Read 2591 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Games vs Movies
      May 10, 2010 10:02:50 pm
      This isn't a question, more of a statement or observation.

I'm 31 now and when I was a teen, I would spend quite a bit of time playing games like Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, Lemmings, Syndicate and so on. All of these were great games with huge playability.
      Back then, the distinction between games and movies was huge of course.
      I've carried on playing games when I get chance on various platforms, pc, PS1, N64, PS2, Xbox...

Every now and then, I'll come across someone who will take the piss out of me for it or laugh when they hear me talking about particular levels on a game with someone else.
      I suppose I shouldn't let it wind me up but I find this quite frustrating because I know that those same people will be happy to sit down on the settee, motionless and watch a DVD for 2 hours!

My point is that games are so complex now with such stunning graphics and advanced AI that the distinction is blurring. Usually the people that take the piss are from another generation who still think of games like the ones I mentioned above or even earlier ones like Pac-Man and Space Invaders.

I really wish I could get these people to spend some time and have a good go at games like CoD4, Bioshock, Battlefield : Bad Company 2 etc and see what I mean. I like watching DVDs but for me, I love the new generation of games that are like DVDs where you have a say in the outcome.

I can't wait to see some of the games that come out in the next 20 years and I hope I manage to find the time and money to keep up with them and get the odd game in now and then. The games industry is being taken very seriously now.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Games vs Movies
      Reply #1: May 11, 2010 12:25:19 am
      Maybe it's an age thing, there aren't any teens and young adults I know, especially male, who don't enjoy gaming to some extend. I love gaming, I love watching a movie, I love reading a book, really just depends what I feel like.

And I don't really care if it looks like a DVD, sure it has to look cool, but it's more about the gameplay. I have a blast when I play games like Streetfighter and Mariokart with friends too, or any other good unrealistic game.

Last but not least, who cares what other people think. If it's fun, it's fun.
      « Last Edit: May 11, 2010 12:44:35 am by Dexter »
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #2: May 11, 2010 11:37:38 am
      I think games are being taken more seriously now than before, yet there is still a consensus out there that it's for children. Games are getting better and better, in realistic gameplay and graphics and if i had the choice between watching a movie or playing a game, i'd choose the game.

The other thing is that gaming consoles nowadays can do so much more than just play games. The range of things a PS3 or X360 can do are still not fully understood by some in the older age brackets.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #3: May 11, 2010 11:52:28 am
      And I don't really care if it looks like a DVD, sure it has to look cool, but it's more about the gameplay.
      Of course, totally agree. It's just that there are some games now that are pretty breathtaking. Maybe the younger generations don't appreciate that so much.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: May 11, 2010 12:02:10 pm
      I'd definitely have to agree. There's a huge difference now to what it used to be. My Missus laughs at me playing the likes of Fallout or COD, when she sits watching drivel on the telly like Glee or sh*te films with no point. Whereas there is a lot more thought going in to a game. You're testing your mind rather than just sitting there getting dumbed down. 

I think for the people who don't touch games, there is still that nerdy, childish stigma knocking about that's putting them off. Not all necessarily, but a lot of these people would probably turn their nose up at a book as well.

I think Heavy Rain and the other one on the X-Box could potentially be the bridge between all of this though. They're basically interactive films and I've heard a lot of people saying they wouldn't mind having a try of them.

That said, I'm a huge film enthusiast as well, so I'm not slagging off films. Just the sh*t ones. ;) 
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: May 11, 2010 08:32:39 pm
      Agreed. People sometimes laugh at me when i talk about how into FIFA i get, or how much i get into a game like COD as well - but they are so realistic, it really is like being in the game. I love movies as well, but i think the games industry is a very serious one, and takes just as much effort to produce a quality game as it does a movie.

I also think the fact games like GTA have had the likes of Ray Liotta and Samuel L Jackson do voices for characters shows that they indeed are taken very serious now days.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: May 11, 2010 08:39:21 pm
      I also think the fact games like GTA have had the likes of Ray Liotta and Samuel L Jackson do voices for characters shows that they indeed are taken very serious now days.

And Liam Neeson in Fallout 3. (The main character's Dad.)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #7: May 11, 2010 08:42:19 pm
      And Liam Neeson in Fallout 3. (The main character's Dad.)

Ah really? Have not played that one, but another big name in games. I love it when im playing as a character voiced by someone famous though, especially GTA Vice City. Felt so good running around with a character voiced by Ray Liotta (Goodfellas is one of my fav mob films ;D )
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: May 11, 2010 08:46:27 pm
      Ah really? Have not played that one, but another big name in games. I love it when im playing as a character voiced by someone famous though, especially GTA Vice City. Felt so good running around with a character voiced by Ray Liotta (Goodfellas is one of my fav mob films ;D )

Yes really! :D

Madness isn't it? Samuel L was Ten Penny on GTA San Andreas if I'm not mistaken. Quality that. And he's a Scouser Liverpool fan. Love it. :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: May 11, 2010 08:50:22 pm
      Yeah he was :D I loved that scene when Ten Penny was getting high, think it was in those missions in that small town near that huge mountain. Sammy L was just quality in that :D

And yes, he is! When you got that man on board, you know you are with the right club ;)

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #10: May 11, 2010 09:13:23 pm
      Video games have to be be taken serious since it's bigger than film these days, in the UK for instance more money was spend on games than on films last year. And when you look at the sales of big games, they outperform big hollywood movies. And the game industry is still growing like crazy while the movie industry really isn't that much.
      « Last Edit: May 11, 2010 09:22:39 pm by Dexter »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #11: May 11, 2010 10:00:12 pm
      Madness isn't it? Samuel L was Ten Penny on GTA San Andreas if I'm not mistaken. Quality that. And he's a Scouser Liverpool fan Love it. :D
      So he is. Wonder how much money he's got  :f_whistle:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #12: May 11, 2010 10:09:21 pm
      So he is. Wonder how much money he's got  :f_whistle:

:lmao:

I wonder. How good would that be, if he was proper minted mind?

Quick Reply