Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Missing out on Champions League?

Read 4886 times
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Missing out on Champions League?
      Reply #46: Mar 09, 2010 09:57:32 pm
      1. What's wrong with a 5th place? The Europa League is not that bad and it seems the players are enjoying it better than the CL, at least it's easier to win games in such competition...
      2. Those who support Rafa will regret it because Rafa will be sacked, Torres sold, and who knows what else? I pray from my heart this doesn't happen
      3. Liverpool FC will lose lots of its prestige and no top players will sign for the club in the summer

YNWA
      What the F**k? You are talking out of your backside lad
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #47: Mar 09, 2010 10:01:51 pm
      From the depths of my thoughts I've come up with one of the most absurd but rather interesting thought. If we miss out on the Champions League we should be more focused towards the league next season, base on the face of things we cannot compete at all stages. We are a club that needs to prioritise at the moment. No money for Champions League would just stress the reason and need to spend on player to the owners. We'll do better I believe if we focus on the league and I am sure many would be happy with that. And if in fact we win the league then that would be a nice platform to build on.

At the moment I have very little belief in that idea. In fact, I doubt these owners would invest anything at all...I feel emotionless

Watched the Arsenal game and was so jealous!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #48: Mar 09, 2010 10:12:46 pm
      First you have to have everybody working together, it don't look that way from here, to get a CL place, Rafa needs to move Gerrard from the centre, he's been useless for a while now and if he won't pull his weight then someone else must do it for him, it's time for the Aquilani to be given Gerrards role in the centre and if Rafa still uses Gerrard he must play him with Torres, Gerrard may still come good but it's almost the end of season and I for one think maybe it's time to get has much as we can for Gerrard and bring in new faces, he's almost 30 now and it's the last chance to sell him at a big profit.
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #49: Mar 09, 2010 10:21:15 pm
      From the depths of my thoughts I've come up with one of the most absurd but rather interesting thought. If we miss out on the Champions League we should be more focused towards the league next season, base on the face of things we cannot compete at all stages. We are a club that needs to prioritise at the moment. No money for Champions League would just stress the reason and need to spend on player to the owners. We'll do better I believe if we focus on the league and I am sure many would be happy with that. And if in fact we win the league then that would be a nice platform to build on.

At the moment I have very little belief in that idea. In fact, I doubt these owners would invest anything at all...I feel emotionless

Watched the Arsenal game and was so jealous!

yeah i was jealous too. sad to admit that but cant escape the truth, they were great and if that was livepool playing then i wouldnt be able to wipe the grin off my face for a long time. when they werent rampaging around with free flowing attacking football they were defending without having you overly nervous at every set piece. they even managed to save a goal off the line with the man marking the post!!!! hello, what do you mean Liverpools zonal marking is ineffective crap?

i think maybe you are right that a lack of champions league cash will force the american tw*ts to actually take action and front up the cash for whatever appropriate purchases are required. we wouldnt quite be in this mess now if we had never ever even remotely suggested that alonso was up for sale before the start of last season. in a way it might have been less painful if we had lost him to juve coz then we wouldnt have seen the majestic form of last season before it was taken from us
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #50: Mar 10, 2010 10:27:13 am
      I would seriously hope that our top players would take some responsibility for the horrendous performances this season which started all the way back in pre-season and not just decide to walk away. It is up to them as well as the manager to perform every week.

If Torres, Stevie etc decide they want to move on after not qualifying to the CL for the first time in years then that will be very poor on their part. They should roll their sleeves up and worker harder next season to ensure it doesn't happen again. Everyone at the club is responsible including our best players and the embarassment of this season should spur them on rather than allow them to blame everyone else and walk away.

Well put - my thoughts exactly.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #51: Mar 10, 2010 03:26:25 pm
      1. What's wrong with a 5th place? The Europa League is not that bad and it seems the players are enjoying it better than the CL, at least it's easier to win games in such competition...
      2. Those who support Rafa will regret it because Rafa will be sacked, Torres sold, and who knows what else? I pray from my heart this doesn't happen
      3. Liverpool FC will lose lots of its prestige and no top players will sign for the club in the summer

YNWA

Youre back Mo !
      Where you been?

Missed all your sh*te.
      Nothing changes.

Youve just missed Alli.
      Hes on the phone.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #52: Mar 10, 2010 03:37:46 pm
      Any chance this might force the owners to sell up?
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #53: Mar 10, 2010 03:57:51 pm
      Well thats what we would like to think!!  -But realisticly dont see it happening!!

IF we do miss out on Champions League football next season- we have to take the positives-
      Concentrate more on the league??  - i would rather be up there fighting for the title than fighting for the Europa Cup!

I dont think anyone will leave if this does happen- as each player is as responsible as the next- we can point fingers and debate about who we could do without but at the end of the day- they have put themsleves in this position- and forced us to witness it!!

Win some games please!! Grab that 4th- its ours to lose!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #54: Mar 10, 2010 10:25:00 pm
      Win some games please!! Grab that 4th- its ours to lose!

Surely its the other teams' to lose
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #55: Mar 10, 2010 10:28:44 pm
      No- the top 4 has been ours the past few years,

I am not talking about the top 4 as it stands right now- more like the final positions at the end of the season!
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #56: Mar 10, 2010 10:40:38 pm
      Any chance this might force the owners to sell up?

please God
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #57: Mar 10, 2010 10:42:43 pm
      4th place is all but gone now. Don't deserve it on this season's preformances.

Our worst saeson since Rafa took over. We have fallen so far behind the other 3, and next season could be worse with City looking to strenthen even more.

Our only hope is new owners, but even then we probably wont have any money for new players.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #58: Mar 10, 2010 10:51:40 pm
      Please lets not write 4th slot off right now its too depressing!!!! I want to see fight against Pompey and see where we go from there.  I'm hoping the prospect of Europa league matches will be enough to motivate the players...please god
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #59: Mar 11, 2010 09:10:33 am
      Please lets not write 4th slot off right now its too depressing!!!! I want to see fight against Pompey and see where we go from there.  I'm hoping the prospect of Europa league matches will be enough to motivate the players...please god

Highly doubt it, if anything they'd get more depressed.

Anyone wanna chip in for some therapy for the lads?  :f_tongueincheek:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #60: Mar 11, 2010 09:14:29 am
      If and when Citeh get into the top four they will be nearly impossible to shift from the spot. Only problem is now we are relying on three teams dropping points and not just one as was the case when Arsenal were in the same situation

Quick Reply