Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How often would Liverpool sell out a 76,500 seater Anfield?

Most of the time - if not every game
      (73.9%)
      Only a few times each season in the biggest games
      (26.1%)
      Hardly ever or Never
      (0%)

Vote: How often would Liverpool sell out a 76,500 seater Anfield?

Read 6609 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Vote: How often would Liverpool sell out a 76,500 seater Anfield?
      Mar 15, 2007 05:23:31 pm
      What's everyone opinion on this.

Is a 75,000 to 80,000 seater too big.  Will there be rows and rows of empty seats?
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Re: Vote: How often would Liverpool sell out a 76,500 seater Anfield?
      Reply #1: Mar 15, 2007 05:46:40 pm
      I think it will be full! Liverpool is the greatest club and the greatest stadium has to be made for the greatest club ;)
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #2: Mar 15, 2007 06:03:27 pm
      I believe we are capable of filling all the stands.we 've got a great deal of supporters in UK alone who can't get into anfied currently.Increasing the capacity from the proposed 61000 to 76500 is good enough for me.It might improve our finances drastically
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2007 06:09:53 pm by mingles »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Mar 15, 2007 06:20:13 pm
      75,000 is a lot of bums on seats, I guess a 35-40% increase on the present max. But as there are a lot of potential season ticket holders, my self included, and a ticket for any of the games are as rare as hens teeth, it is certainly worth a look. The only stumbling block that I can see is the city council. Would new plans have to be drawn up and if so how long would they take. I for one would would not be too disappointed if we could borrow the Millennium Stadiums plans, roof and all. It could incorporate the Kop in the end with no tear.

Any thoughts any one?
      tomarto
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 15, 2007 06:28:31 pm
      to right they would fill it every week as long as they make the ticket prices fair liverpool have  great supporters half of witch i included cant get tickets for anfield due to our small capascity. lets out do manscum united and build ours bigger and better 90.000 should do it thats if the land is big enough for this of course.;D lets reclaim our title biggest and best club in england. 

YNWA
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Mar 15, 2007 07:07:24 pm
      Cost is the key.  I think what Gillett and Hicks are doing are making sure that the stadium design can be extended in its present form.  That way the initial construction can begin and then during the process the methods to expand can be looked in to.

I assume the temporary halt is probably to make sure they stick an extra few thousand tonnes of foundations in to make sure it can hold an 'expanded' stadium.

Liverpool City Council have become notorious for messing up building projects.  Let's hope they just let Liverpool get on with it this time around.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: Mar 15, 2007 08:19:10 pm
      I think it will be full! Liverpool is the greatest club and the greatest stadium has to be made for the greatest club ;)

You would think that, but the easiest games to the season to get tickets for ie. early round CL games, and the stadium is not full !!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #7: Mar 15, 2007 08:51:21 pm
      Liverpool wouldn't fill it simple as. It would be full for Champions League games and about 50% of premier League matches. Man Ure had 6000 empty seats for the last round of the FA cup at Castle Grey Skull and that says it all for me. I think the ordinary bloke has already been priced out of the equation. And it has nothing to do with being the best club or best fans. A typical home game for me is £2 Train travel, £20 food and drink ;), and a £32 match ticket. So I'm looking at £54 for a Saturday afternoons entertainment. Thats before I go for a night out, and I have no kids (I feel sorry for the Fella's who have to try to take their kids the game). Thats a lot of money, And then I don't get much change out of £150 for an away game. I don't think there will be 76-80,000 Liverpool fans that could afford that given that we play around 60 games a season.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #8: Mar 15, 2007 09:00:20 pm
      Liverpool wouldn't fill it simple as. It would be full for Champions League games and about 50% of premier League matches. Man Ure had 6000 empty seats for the last round of the FA cup at Castle Grey Skull and that says it all for me. I think the ordinary bloke has already been priced out of the equation. And it has nothing to do with being the best club or best fans. A typical home game for me is £2 Train travel, £20 food and drink ;), and a £32 match ticket. So I'm looking at £54 for a Saturday afternoons entertainment. Thats before I go for a night out, and I have no kids (I feel sorry for the Fella's who have to try to take their kids the game). Thats a lot of money, And then I don't get much change out of £150 for an away game. I don't think there will be 76-80,000 Liverpool fans that could afford that given that we play around 60 games a season.

have to agree with you mate.

Yes we would fill the stadium against the bigger teams, but as I've stated in another topic, what about when we play Fulham, Charlton etc.
      New Years day this year, home to Bolton 41,370. We couldn't fill our stadium then against a local team.
      As you state, a family could only go once or twice a season due to costs, and what if our new owners decide a price hike ?
      The futures bright, and I look forward to it - I just hope we get the support week in, week out and do actually sell out every game.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #9: Mar 15, 2007 11:24:37 pm
      I travel 200 miles to a match at Anfield when I can get tickets. I need to take the wife to share the driving,( although she enjoys it as much as me i think) especially if I want a couple of pints. Then there's my two boys aged 11 and 9. They also want to look in the Kop shop for a few bits. It can potentially cost over £ 300 to go to a match. 60,000 seats @ £30 =£1800000. 75,000 seats @ £24= £1800000.
      Every little helps, go for the 75000 and keep the ticket prices down, Same revenue, all seats filled!! Easy.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #10: Mar 15, 2007 11:59:21 pm
      I hate to admit this, especially seeing as most people are so positive, but I am with Crazy Horse and mrtommo on this one.

I don't think we would fill it.........however...... filling it is not the same as selling all the seats.  I expect a substantial increase in season ticket sales.  I would imagine there would be a far greater percentage of people now who would buy a season ticket but not necessarily go to every game.

This could present a problem.  Many of the extra season tickets would go to people who live a bit away from Liverpool, not all, just a percentage.  These fans may be less able to make the mid-week games.

Now, this will be good for the club - they will still have sold plenty more tickets, more money in the coffers etc etc, but you may find yourself with some empty seats around you.  As Liverpool fans we simply are not used to this...

Us three miserable sods could all be wrong though?  ;)

koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #11: Mar 16, 2007 12:51:27 am
      Us three miserable sods could all be wrong though?  ;)

You are.  As long as we put the away fans right up in a top corner like Newcastle do to us...
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #12: Mar 16, 2007 08:27:39 am
      Maybe put the away fans closer to the Kop ?, this would then stir the kop up into creating an atmosphere all the time.
      But like KK says, in the top corner out of the way.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #13: Mar 16, 2007 08:27:41 am
      I travel 200 miles to a match at Anfield when I can get tickets. I need to take the wife to share the driving,( although she enjoys it as much as me I think) especially if I want a couple of pints. Then there's my two boys aged 11 and 9. They also want to look in the Kop shop for a few bits. It can potentially cost over £ 300 to go to a match. 60,000 seats @ £30 =£1800000. 75,000 seats @ £24= £1800000.
      Every little helps, go for the 75000 and keep the ticket prices down, Same revenue, all seats filled!! Easy.

Ditto except I cant get the missus to go for love or money. every time we can get tickets ( which is for games against the likes of pompey or watford) we go, the only time I can remember a non capacity crowd this season was new years day against Bolton and I believe there was only restricted views available then. numerically you could just about fill 75,000 by adding the season ticket waiting list to the current capacity. Just look at Arsenal they could probably sell 30,000 more tickets to every game.

for every ticket I can get atleast four people I know want to go

yes there will be potential games difficult to fill, Carling cup etc, but you just have to offer incentives Kids for a Kid or reduced adult rates.

Come on if we don't have the faith we can fill it you will >:(

Rant over
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2007 08:29:30 am by Venison 86 »
      Cy
      Reply #14: Mar 16, 2007 11:17:00 am
      I agree with JD and MRTommo, even if I'd love to imagine a 75000 seast full every game, it wouldn't just happen the price wouldn't drop either it would likely more increase, so even if 60,000 seats @ £30 =£1800000. 75,000 seats @ £24= £1800000 it's more likely to be 75000@£35=£2625000...make no mistake, we have new owners and I'm happy with that but they are in for the money..There is nothing wrong with that off course but they have to make money and that can only be number one in their list, the fact to call the club a franchise in many occasions betray in a way that goal

Winning obviously as they said many times is their target, winning makes money, and money is what they want back. The suggestion to increase the number of seats is just a quicker way to reach that goal. 
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15: Mar 16, 2007 02:48:29 pm
      have to agree with you mate.

Yes we would fill the stadium against the bigger teams, but as I've stated in another topic, what about when we play Fulham, Charlton etc.
      New Years day this year, home to Bolton 41,370. We couldn't fill our stadium then against a local team.
      As you state, a family could only go once or twice a season due to costs, and what if our new owners decide a price hike ?
      The futures bright, and I look forward to it - I just hope we get the support week in, week out and do actually sell out every game.

Sorry lads, but I'm going to disagree here. Lets just put this for example. There are 55 thousand people on the waiting list for a season ticket (including myself, have been for 7 years) but I do really think we could fill it. Not every game, just most.
      Plus. I think the 60,000 idea is a stupid idea. We have to compete with the Mancs! They've got a 75,000 seater so why can't we? Even if it isnt a 75,000 I would prefer a 70,000 all seater stadium.
      I rest my case ;)
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #16: Mar 16, 2007 05:31:06 pm
      with 56000 fans on the season ticket waiting list then we have to look at 70,000 upwards, it doesn't make any sense to pay 200 mil on a new stadium that will need to be extended in 5 years, clever pricing and better quality of players will stick bums on seats, so I hope the rethink will bring the capacity up to say 70,000 with ability to increase in the future. The good thing is the Council know they can't afford any hold ups which will mean LFC will probably be granted the initial extra 10,000 seats with the view to expand further if they can be clever with the new plans and work within certain legal parameters. SUPER SISE DEFO !
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #17: Mar 16, 2007 05:37:57 pm
      The good thing is the Council know they can't afford any hold ups

Mmmm not to sure, Liverpool City Council seem quite adept at grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory, remember the yacht race, lost money on that, and the one way system, they are always changing that. But fingers crossed.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #18: Mar 16, 2007 06:09:37 pm
      The numbers stack up, the cost of building a 60,000 stadium and a 70,000 is not that much more, so i can see were the new owners are coming from.
      The season tickets waiting list might be 50.000+ but when it comes to people buying a season ticket that number will half or less, i think ( and someone will tell me if I'm wrong ) the season tickets now are about 26 to 28,000, so if they can increase that to about 45 to 48,000, then most games would see 60,000+ at the games, and a sell out on the big matches, and when we win the prem. those figures will rise.
      But I'm sorry to say, it all down to Liverpool council, and planning dept. and most of them don't live on the same planet as us.
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #19: Mar 16, 2007 06:21:13 pm
      is the 56k waiting on top of current season ticket holders? if so then that = roughly 80k plus away fans of 4k then people who buy individual tickets 15-20k then we could easily fill 75k capacity
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #20: Mar 16, 2007 06:24:06 pm
      If the mancs sell out most games then we definitely will, 76'000 is good with the choice to expand it even more to like 90'000 one day maybe. Look at Barca's ground for an example, it is massive did anyone go there?
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #21: Mar 16, 2007 06:38:37 pm
      Sorry lads, but I'm going to disagree here. Lets just put this for example. There are 55 thousand people on the waiting list for a season ticket (including myself, have been for 7 years) but I do really think we could fill it. Not every game, just most.
      Plus. I think the 60,000 idea is a stupid idea. We have to compete with the Mancs! They've got a 75,000 seater so why can't we? Even if it isnt a 75,000 I would prefer a 70,000 all seater stadium.
      I rest my case ;)

mate I know people who have put there new born baby on the waiting list.
      That figure is way off the mark.
      You have got to remember that if your offered a season ticket - you must stump up £600+ there and then.
      76,500 is too many at the moment.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #22: Mar 16, 2007 07:22:35 pm
      I agree with Court! Im goin on the season ticket waiting list, planning ahead, Im 15 now so I want aticket in a few years time :)!

I think we will fill it most weeks, and yes there will be the odd game where it wont be full but that happens! We have the best support from fans there is no doubt in my mind that this 76,000-80,000 seater is a great move ;)

YNWA,

Wellzy ;)

Quick Reply