Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Fowler and Pennant Shine For The Reserves

Read 3650 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Fowler and Pennant Shine For The Reserves
      Mar 22, 2007 09:46:54 pm
      Nicked, sorry loaned from the official site.

FOWLER AND PENNANT SHINE FOR RESERVES

Steve Hunter at Wrexham 22 March 2007 

Fantastic goals from Robbie Fowler and Jermaine Pennant was the highlight of Liverpool Reserves' 4-1 win over Blackburn Rovers at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground on Thursday night. 
      Besides Fowler and Pennant, Gary Ablett fielded a very strong line-up featuring the likes of Jerzy Dudek, Alvaro Arbeloa, Javier Mascherano, Fabio Aurelio and Bolo Zenden. Jack Hobbs captained the team partnering Gabriel Paletta at the heart of the Reds defence.

The attitude of the Liverpool team was superb and Pennant and Bolo Zenden in particular were in great form, while Fowler's link-play and movement was quite outstanding. Zenden and Craig Lindfield scored Liverpool's other goals.

Pennant caused the Blackburn defence so many problems with his pace and willingness to take on defenders almost every time he got the ball. He linked up really well down the right hand side with Alvaro Arbeloa.

Ablett's side took the lead after 22 minutes after a superbly worked team goal. Pennant started the move after a great run. He then found Fowler whose sublime lay-off found Lindfield and Monday's youth cup hero finished well from close range.

Aurelio was then denied by a good save from Frank Fielding and Zended headed just over the bar before Blackburn should have equalised when Raffaele De Vita shot wide.

Fowler made it 2-0 after 26 minutes with an exquisite chip. Pennant was the provider again with a cross that found Fowler at the back post. He controlled the ball before sending a sweet chip over the top of Fielding and into the net. It was a goal that had the mark of class written all over it.

Pennant then twice went close with one effort saved and one that he drilled just wide before he made it 3-0 with a sweet strike from 30-yards out just before half-time.

The winger then turned provider for the fourth goal after 57 minutes for Zenden's goal. Pennant's superb through ball sent the Dutch midfielder clean through and he finished well with a drilled effort after a superb through ball from Pennant.

Ablett made his first changes of the evening after an hour when Daniele Padelli replaced Dudek in goal and Ronald Huth came on for Aurelio. This meant a reshuffle with Hobbs moved forward to midfield and Zenden going to the left flank.

Four minutes later and the Italian goalkeeper's first duty was to pick the ball out of the net when Josh O'Keefe netted from close range to make it 4-1.

Arbeloa was then booked for Liverpool when he kicked the ball away after a free-kick had been given against him.

The second half wasn't as exciting as the first but overall it was a good night's entertainment and the goals from Fowler and Pennant were of exceptional quality.

Liverpool Reserves: Dudek (Padelli 60), Arbeloa, Insua, Hobbs, Paletta, Mascherano, Pennant, Zenden, Fowler, Lindfield (Anderson 75), Aurelio (Huth 60). Subs unused: Darby, Threlfall.

Blackburn Rovers Reserves: Fielding, Bateson, King (Patterson 59), Stopforth, Winnard, Pezzoni, Judge, O'Keefe, Barker, De Vita, Woods.

Referee: K G Evans.

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Jermaine Pennant. Outstanding performance, especially in the first half when he was in exciting form. 

Look who was man of the match Ra Ra Rafa
       ;D ;D
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2007 09:50:03 pm by Glenbuck »
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Fowler and Pennant Shine For The Reserves
      Reply #1: Mar 22, 2007 09:51:06 pm
      ..Howcome they were playing for the reserves?! And why on earth are they at Wrexham's "ground" ??
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #2: Mar 22, 2007 09:53:04 pm
      ..Howcome they were playing for the reserves?! And why on earth are they at Wrexham's "ground" ??

We play all our reserve games at Wrexham, and i suppose Fowler and Pennant played in the reserves because there not getting much match practice.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Mar 22, 2007 10:12:15 pm
      Cheers for that Glenbuck. I knew Robbie would get on the scoresheet tonight!

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Jermaine Pennant. Outstanding performance, especially in the first half when he was in exciting form. 

Look who was man of the match Ra Ra Rafa

And I also thought Pennant would have a good game. He defo plays better with confidence. He needs that confidence against the big teams for me. Hopefully next season he'll have it and be a better player for it.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #4: Mar 22, 2007 10:16:25 pm
      How did Mascherano do?
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #5: Mar 22, 2007 10:17:03 pm
      in spain haven't a reserves league :-[ :'(
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #6: Mar 22, 2007 10:18:15 pm
      Thats why Spain had the players of Raul and that
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #7: Mar 22, 2007 10:37:29 pm

FOWLER AND PENNANT SHINE FOR RESERVES

Cheers for the report Glenbuck, always nice to see the REDS do well and look forward to seeing the highlights.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #8: Mar 22, 2007 10:47:29 pm
      I really want to know how Masch played.

Have you ever seen how good a player is and thought "I wish he played for Liverpool" but you never thought he would play for Liverpool,   well thats Mascherano for me. I admired him in the World Cup and now he's at Liverpool I'm obsessed with the player ;D

The player has quality written all over him even Gerrard said he is one of the best players in his position in the world and he is only 22 for gods sake :)
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 22, 2007 10:53:03 pm
      ..How come they were playing for the reserves?! And why on earth are they at Wrexham's "ground" ??

::)

And I also thought Pennant would have a good game. He defo plays better with confidence. He needs that confidence against the big teams for me. Hopefully next season he'll have it and be a better player for it.

Come on now. Let's not get down and worship the ground he plays on. He played against a nobody team, I didn't recognise any of those Blackburn players.  Confidence? He has been pulling in tens of thousands of pounds every single week since last summer when he joined, playing in some of the biggest games, in front of the best fans in the world.  Don't make excuses for him.  Would you have wanted him out there in the second half of Istanbul when we were in the sh*t?

No, you wouldn't.

He doesn't deserve another chance next season.  I think, and hope, Rafa gets rid.  Average player made to look special while he was at a sh*t side.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2007 10:53:57 pm by Jabba »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #10: Mar 22, 2007 10:56:20 pm

Come on now. Let's not get down and worship the ground he plays on. He played against a nobody team, I didn't recognise any of those Blackburn players.  Confidence? He has been pulling in tens of thousands of pounds every single week since last summer when he joined, playing in some of the biggest games, in front of the best fans in the world.  Don't make excuses for him.  Would you have wanted him out there in the second half of Istanbul when we were in the sh*t?

No, you wouldn't.

He doesn't deserve another chance next season.  I think, and hope, Rafa gets rid.  Average player made to look special while he was at a sh*t side.

Don't be so harsh, give him one more season to prove his worth!

In Rafa We Trust!!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Mar 22, 2007 11:37:30 pm
      Fair do's Jabba. I'm not a big fan of Pennant. I was just pointing out the fact I thought he'd have a good game playing against players who he thinks he can beat. I think he has issues in his head. And now he's been given a big chance to play for us, but he goes missing in big games? All in the head. I think he has ability, but I certainly don't worship the ground he plays on. But! I'd rather have him on the right wing than Gerrard because Gerrard belongs in the middle. Otherwise, who else is there who has the ability to put in a decent cross for some strikers to waste...?
      As for the second half of Istanbul. I didn't want Smicer out there because I wasn't a big fan of him either. Look what happened!!! But that's a different kettle of fish. That was a do or die situation. I want players who will do it for you, with confidence and ability, week in week out no matter who the opposition is.

Like you, I'll always support any player who plays for us, until it's not possible anymore and your mind is made up about them. I've got a sneaky feeling you've reached that point with Pennant. I'm not there yet.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: Mar 23, 2007 12:56:49 am
      in spain haven't a reserves league :-[ :'(

Thats a shame mate.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #13: Mar 23, 2007 01:06:11 am

I know I can't talk...but...do you ever sleep?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: Mar 25, 2007 12:41:18 am
      I know I can't talk...but...do you ever sleep?

Yeah. :D
      Just normally on this late for some reason.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #15: Mar 25, 2007 12:46:48 am

No, you wouldn't.

I agree with most of what you say, but I still don't think we should get rid of him.

From what I can see the guy would be happy to spend a lot of time on the bench just to be with a big club again. I don't think we'll find anyone better who's willing to do this, keep him as a reserve & buy a proper winger in the summer.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #16: Mar 25, 2007 12:50:45 am
      Right, I have found the highlights.

Enjoy. ;)

Liverpool Reserves 4-1 Blackburn Reserves

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007 08:10:32 am by JD »

Quick Reply